I went to Verizon today, fully intending to buy a full-price (no contract) Z10. But the manager basically said while he could sell me one if I insisted, Verizon would much rather prefer that I order one online instead.

I think I remember a few people mentioning that here as well. Any idea why they discourage buying full price off-contract Z10s in the store?
    04-13-13 06:51 PM
    I went to Verizon today, fully intending to buy a full-price (no contract) Z10. But the manager basically said while he could sell me one if I insisted, Verizon would much rather prefer that I order one online instead.

I think I remember a few people mentioning that here as well. Any idea why they discourage buying full price off-contract Z10s in the store?
    That's ridiculous. I walked in with a fistful of dollars and bought one. They never said a thing about doing it online.
    04-13-13 07:16 PM
    I bought mine full price in a corporate store with no issue. Now if they would only hurry up and push the update...!
    04-13-13 08:21 PM

Manager is most likely trying to get people to sign contracts. He wants to keep phones on stock so people who want to sign a 2 year contract will do it because they have the phone.

Either way, you are in the right. You should be able to buy as many at full retail as you want.
    04-14-13 01:44 PM
    When you say you went to a Verizon, did you go to a corporate store or to a retailer? Some retailers base commissions on the amount of upgrades and accessoires sold per phone sold. If you're a sales person and have a limited amount of product, it's worth it to avoid selling a phone with a low commission rate (in your case to someone who isn't using an upgrade) if you're sure you can sell it at a better commission rate to someone else. I worked at a retailer for about a year and saw it happen all the time. Selling phones off contract really messes up your stats and makes you no money.

Posted via CB10
    04-25-13 12:20 PM
    When you say you went to a Verizon, did you go to a corporate store or to a retailer? Some retailers base commissions on the amount of upgrades and accessoires sold per phone sold. If you're a sales person and have a limited amount of product, it's worth it to avoid selling a phone with a low commission rate (in your case to someone who isn't using an upgrade) if you're sure you can sell it at a better commission rate to someone else. I worked at a retailer for about a year and saw it happen all the time. Selling phones off contract really messes up your stats and makes you no money.
    Corporate store in my case, but I see what you mean.

The odd thing was the manager was fine with selling it to me at first... until be went in back to get one for me, and apparently was told otherwise (or found out something)... because he then came back and asked if I was willing to purchase online instead.

So I purchased one via Amazon a few days later
    04-25-13 01:49 PM
    You should of insisted...
    04-25-13 06:02 PM
    I wouldn't see why they would try to prevent you from buying one off contract in store. I bought mine off contract at Best Buy without any problems.
    04-25-13 07:10 PM
    I don't see why it matters. A sale is a sale unless they carry very few of them which could be possible.
    04-26-13 06:01 PM

Does the rep selling you the phone nothing good, actually has a reverse effect on the commission. You can go in any time and get a phone at retail but if you just want the phone and insist on not having or extending the contract and don't want any accessories they will pry be mad. Sometimes you can get retail pricing cheaper at 3rd party retailers. Not always tho. Also, chances are you can set up a phone on your own so ordering online is always a good choice. I don't ever go to a store to get a phone.
    04-27-13 06:10 PM
    When the z10 first came out, I was ready to buy full price. I didn't have an upgrade but wanted the phone. Two Verizon stores in my area said they are saving the phones for upgrade eligibility customers only. I was livid. So I drove the hour drive to another Verizon store who told me that's ridiculous and they would sell me the phone. So I bought it at full price and told them my story. They laughed. Makes no sense to me since we are all customers and money is money!

Posted via CB10
    Onna808 likes this.
    05-09-13 12:36 PM
    I bought mine from Amazon for $600 off contract! Did that so I don't loose my unlimited data....
    Onna808 likes this.
    05-11-13 09:13 PM
    I dont bother with the stores anymore, dont need anyone telling me what is good .... Just purchase new phones within my account and receive it like 2 days later.
    05-16-13 10:37 AM
    My store sells them out right for 575... :-p idk what the other stores are like.
    05-20-13 02:34 PM