09-01-10 10:40 AM
32 12
tools
    I have gotten continuous snail mail, email and text offers from VZW to go get a early upgrade to Droid X. I currently have a Storm2 and would not mind getting something new but waiting for a Global Android Device.

Overall, with the huge VZW push to Android and the Torch launching on AT&T, I have to wonder if Big Red has strategically aligned themselves with Android at the expense of RIM. Also, with AT&T now having the premier BB as well as the iPhone, VZW logically bets on Android.

As a S2 user, Verizon is essentially forcing me to skip an upgrade cycle, jump carriers, or go to Android. By the time the Storm3 or equivalent BB launches, all of the target subscribers will have gone to Android except the die hard BB folks.

The only thing that will stop me from going to Android is a Storm 3 which there are no signs of, or OS6 for S2 (also not happening). Not sure what else I can do to try and stay with BB... it just isn't in the cards that VZW stacked.
    Last edited by cgull; 08-28-10 at 01:01 PM.
    08-28-10 12:52 PM
    I have gotten continuous snail mail, email and text offers from VZW to go get a early upgrade to Droid X. I currently have a Storm2 and would not mind getting something new but waiting for a Global Android Device.

Overall, with the huge VZW push to Android and the Torch launching on AT&T, I have to wonder if Big Red has strategically aligned themselves with Android at the expense of RIM. Also, with AT&T now having the premier BB as well as the iPhone, VZW logically bets on Android.

As a S2 user, Verizon is essentially forcing me to skip an upgrade cycle, jump carriers, or go to Android. By the time the Storm3 or equivalent BB launches, all of the target subscribers will have gone to Android except the die hard BB folks.

The only thing that will stop me from going to Android is a Storm 3 which there are no signs of, or OS6 for S2 (also not happening). Not sure what else I can do to try and stay with BB... it just isn't in the cards that VZW stacked.
    Why bother staying with BlackBerry??????? If they don't have a phone to fit your liking then get one that does. Droid, Iphone or whatever. Brand loyalty is overrated to say the least.
    08-28-10 01:26 PM
    I understand your frustration, and hear it all the time in my store. Its just that Android is the newest and greatest thing out there on the market right now, and RIM isn't doing anything to really counter the Android hype.

Their devices really don't change much each quarter, so its kind of discerning for customers if they see a company take their devices and only do some minor changes.

Plus, the other killer is the freedom of Android.

With Android devices, you can do a plethora of things that make the device unique to you. On BB devices, such as your storm, you can only post a wallpaper, change a theme, and move some icons. Thats about as far as you get with them.

Its that time in the world where people want to express themselves on anything they own. Whether its their cars, their phone, their clothes, their hairstyle... whatever... its just the changing times where people want to be recognized as individuals.

Hope this kind of breaks down some of the confusion for you!
    08-28-10 02:20 PM
    Besides the Torch, which is GSM and on AT&T, and the Clamshell BB, what else is RIM putting out there? VZW can't turn a cold shoulder to something that doesn't exist.
    08-28-10 02:25 PM
    Exactly. Since RIM isn't putting anything out thats the latest and greatest for Verizon, then VZW BB users are left standing around wondering whats going to happen next. The only big thing that I've heard of coming out soon is the Blackpad, but that could be a multi-carrier launch, and could be the only BB device released 4th Quarter. So, options are limited...
    08-28-10 03:29 PM
    LTE Storm??????
    08-28-10 05:55 PM
    Exactly. Since RIM isn't putting anything out thats the latest and greatest for Verizon, then VZW BB users are left standing around wondering whats going to happen next. The only big thing that I've heard of coming out soon is the Blackpad, but that could be a multi-carrier launch, and could be the only BB device released 4th Quarter. So, options are limited...
    I would go a step further and say that while we are standing around wondering what RIM is up to, VZW is bombarding us with Android sales pitches. This is accelerating RIMs decline. I guess its just business but the fact is VZW has chosen its horse and its not RIM.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-28-10 06:00 PM
    Because RIMM got fat and happy, having all the corporate business. But now they are dying. They got nothing. A slider.......is their idea of a hot phone?

Yes, I have a tour. But the droids are SO much cooler.
    08-28-10 06:00 PM
    Yes, I have a tour. But the droids are SO much cooler.
    They seem cooler... but they're not really all that.

There is so much change going to go on in the next 18 to 24 months... hang on, it's going to be a fun ride.
    08-28-10 07:22 PM
    If my S2 goes it could be off to winmo land. Its the only other viable platform for me.

08-28-10 09:43 PM

Stop being a drama queen
    08-28-10 11:25 PM
    I came very close to getting the Droid X until I saw the battery testing for Android devices over at laptopmag.

Android Battery Test Reveals Droid X Lasts Longest, AMOLED Handsets Trail

I will never buy an Android device with battery life like that. Even those horrid numbers are with all this done to them...

Turn screen brightness to 40%, and turn off auto brightness.
    Turn off Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, GPS location, cell location, and auto sync.
    In the Web browser, we turn off Flash support and plug-ins.
    08-29-10 12:57 AM
    I came very close to getting the Droid X until I saw the battery testing for Android devices over at laptopmag.

I will never buy an Android device with battery life like that. Even those horrid numbers are with all this done to them...

Oddly enough, my Droid 2 lasts far longer than my Tour ever did. That's with Bluetooth on most of the day, texting, calls, and web throughout the day.
    08-29-10 03:49 AM

Did you read how they ran that test? They had the phones programed to open an new webpage every minute until the battery ran out. 7 hours of opening a new webpage every minute seems very respectable to me. I use my original Moto droid from 8:30 am until 11 pm every day with the GPS on, wifi when I have it, and auto sync on and when it goes on the media dock at night to charge it is still at 80% battery.

On topic I don't see how VZW not getting a new BB is their fault in any way. I am sure that if RIM had something new for CDMA carriers VZW would be all over it. Look at it this way guys. Sprint is CDMA as well and they don't have any new BBs either (that I know of but I didn't look). I think the reason that VZW is pressing Android so hard is those manufacturers (HTC, Motorola, Samsung soon) are putting out new devices every 3 months it seems. With new models that fast they have to advertise like crazy to get rid of stock.
    08-29-10 09:33 AM
    Same here I got better battery life on my androids then I did my berry. I got the incredible and the dx ,,, and my dx was on for 27 hrs still 30% left before I started charging since it might not last all day today.My incredible has been on for 25 hrs and still is on.

At first I thought the battery life suked but realized then it was actually the fact that I could do more then the berry could so it keep me browsing and stuff more(EX:emails, sms text , web browsing yeah i got webkit LOL), the berry you can just do so much with then its same ole boring stuff , lol

Still waiting on froyo for the incredible tho although it is being pushed out I havent gotten mine yet over the OTA. I do wish vzw would have that part changed like they do for the BB updates:

SO you can type in your phone number on the software update and have it send it to your computer ,, and then install on your phone
    Last edited by DavidNC; 08-29-10 at 10:19 AM.
    08-29-10 10:15 AM
    Uh, it's not just Android that suffers from the battery problems.

Think about how much phone technology has changed in the last 2 years, then think about how much battery tech has changed. Batteries are essentially the same, there haven't been any major improvements. As phones continue to get more and more powerful, battery life is going to continue to decline on all devices, on all carriers. Just the nature of the beast these days until a new advancement in battery technology comes out.

For what it's worth, I got the extended battery for my Droid X, and the battery life is more than acceptable. I can get through an entire day easily, using the phone as often as I want. I charge every night anyway, and did the same thing with my Blackberry, so as long as it gets through an entire day I don't see it as being a major issue.
    08-29-10 11:06 AM
    Besides the Torch, which is GSM and on AT&T, and the Clamshell BB, what else is RIM putting out there? VZW can't turn a cold shoulder to something that doesn't exist.
    Well, RIM made ATT the slider because ATT requested them to make it. I find it difficult to believe that RIM would simply develop a device for no apparent reason, unless a carrier were to commit to buying them. I mean, if they did design devices ahead of time/before any carriers ask for it, there's the risk that nobody is going to adopt them, and they've just wasted all the R&D, testing, OS programming, certification, etc...

08-29-10 05:22 PM
    Well, RIM made ATT the slider because ATT requested them to make it. I find it difficult to believe that RIM would simply develop a device for no apparent reason, unless a carrier were to commit to buying them. I mean, if they did design devices ahead of time/before any carriers ask for it, there's the risk that nobody is going to adopt them, and they've just wasted all the R&D, testing, OS programming, certification, etc...

Well then please enlighten us with the phones VZW turned down from RIM....

08-29-10 06:37 PM
    Well, RIM made ATT the slider because ATT requested them to make it. I find it difficult to believe that RIM would simply develop a device for no apparent reason, unless a carrier were to commit to buying them.

I always thought that except in the case of a specific request for features for a company that the manufacturer made pretty much what they want and then try to get people to buy it. Maybe I am wrong but if they just went on what the carriers requested then I doubt they would make many different devices at all.

I am sure that RIM is working on something for CDMA carriers right now as well. The executives at Verizon are smart and they know that many people still prefer black berries to other devices so as soon as RIM makes something for CDMA carriers or even LTE they are sure to grab it up.
    08-29-10 07:01 PM
    there is only one reason why I am still on a blackberry. The Keyboard! If an Android device came out with a similar keyboard style, I'm GONE!
    08-29-10 07:15 PM
    there is only one reason why I am still on a blackberry. The Keyboard! If an Android device came out with a similar keyboard style, I'm GONE!
    Yeah I would like a better keyboard on my original moto droid but I still enjoy it as it is. I got used to the keyboard it has but I hardly ever use it. That being said I still think BB's are great devices as well and the only keyboard I have used that was better is on the Touch Pro 2. It just so happens at this time Android fits my needs better. Sorry that this post is off topic.
    08-29-10 07:48 PM
    I always thought that except in the case of a specific request for features for a company that the manufacturer made pretty much what they want and then try to get people to buy it. Maybe I am wrong but if they just went on what the carriers requested then I doubt they would make many different devices at all.

I am sure that RIM is working on something for CDMA carriers right now as well. The executives at Verizon are smart and they know that many people still prefer black berries to other devices so as soon as RIM makes something for CDMA carriers or even LTE they are sure to grab it up.
    Um... They don't make many different devices. What, maybe 3 each for GSM and CDMA at different price points/level of features?

I suppose I could be mistaken, but I'd have to assume they at least get some input from their potential customers about what price point they'll want a new device coming in at, features included/excluded, etc.

08-30-10 01:49 AM
    rofl yeah that keyboard is a keeper for sure hahahahahaha ...Not

Sent from Tapatalk
    Last edited by DavidNC; 08-30-10 at 05:21 AM.
    08-30-10 05:19 AM
    Um... They don't make many different devices. What, maybe 3 each for GSM and CDMA at different price points/level of features?

I suppose I could be mistaken, but I'd have to assume they at least get some input from their potential customers about what price point they'll want a new device coming in at, features included/excluded, etc.

I agree. What I was saying is that although At&t went to RIM and requested a touch/slider combo doesn't mean they will only be making that. Maybe they give RIM a base list of things like wifi, bt, etc and see what they get. I don't know and was only guessing. Verizon probably has requested something as well. Maybe it is a feature or type of device but it takes longer for CDMA phone for some reason. I would be patient. I don't think they have given up on BB.
    08-30-10 09:09 AM
    Patience isn't likely an option... Especially if the new BB is LTE and they pull that whole charging extra for it even if LTE hasn't reached your area yet...

08-30-10 12:07 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD