07-12-08 10:14 PM
73 123
tools
    If you're in the right area and you don't travel much, ATT is great. But, if you have to travel outside of your home area, VZW has the best coverage. I truly wish it weren't so. Not a fan of VZW.

Not only does VZW disable GPS, they cripple Bluetooth - no file transfers. They claim it's to protect copyrights. Notice - no VZW wifi on Berrys, either.

Blech. But I have to use them for the coverage.
    I have been trying to figure this one out for the longest time! Thank you!

I was able to send a friend of mine a file via BT( he was on some other carrier)....but my other friend with the same phone (8130)...could not send/receive from each other!

crippling of BT transfers....??Is this true?

P~
    07-09-08 09:55 AM
    Ha! I already have a navigator with a male voice..... My boyfriend.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    If you get tired of that voice...I do a pretty good Sean Connery....
    07-09-08 09:57 AM
    I have been trying to figure this one out for the longest time! Thank you!

I was able to send a friend of mine a file via BT( he was on some other carrier)....but my other friend with the same phone (8130)...could not send/receive from each other!

crippling of BT transfers....??Is this true?

P~
    No, it's not true. I tested this myself recently, and was able to transfer MP3s and wallpapers between my previous Blackberry (8703e) and my Curve with no issues. I can also transfer between my laptop and Curve using the stock Microsoft Bluetooth stack in my ThinkPad.

I was able to transfer wallpapers and pictures between my Curve and my son's EnV2 as well, but had no luck with MP3s; the EnV2 was apparently the problem.
    07-09-08 11:19 AM
    This thread has probably changed course and is not on topic now that we are on page 4, not sure because I did not take time to read...

But for the OP... VZW is a little behind because they are CDMA (same for all other CDMA carriers!) At least you are not as slow as Sprint!
    07-09-08 11:21 AM
    No, it's not true. I tested this myself recently, and was able to transfer MP3s and wallpapers between my previous Blackberry (8703e) and my Curve with no issues. I can also transfer between my laptop and Curve using the stock Microsoft Bluetooth stack in my ThinkPad.

I was able to transfer wallpapers and pictures between my Curve and my son's EnV2 as well, but had no luck with MP3s; the EnV2 was apparently the problem.
    I think i might be replying in ignorance but i think the copyright thing is right... Currently there are no BB's running with VCast music services and the BB's run on there own therefore allowing transfers with other BB's because they hold no rights to the music... the problem arises when you go from a device with VCAst to one without... I may be talking out of my A$$ but just my thoughts
    07-09-08 04:56 PM
    If you get tired of that voice...I do a pretty good Sean Connery....
    That would be the ish!!! You are hired!
    07-09-08 05:02 PM
    I think i might be replying in ignorance but i think the copyright thing is right... Currently there are no BB's running with VCast music services and the BB's run on there own therefore allowing transfers with other BB's because they hold no rights to the music... the problem arises when you go from a device with VCAst to one without... I may be talking out of my A$$ but just my thoughts
    Hmm... Makes sense to me.

I can send ringtones, however, to non-Blackberry users via Bluetooth... But full mp3s? Forget about it!
    07-09-08 05:04 PM
    What is "and so forth"? There is nothing else on the phone that will not work out of the box. If you want GPS, you use VzNav, which is actually a very fine application.

No one's mentioned the fact that your unable to send and receive MMS on the 8830 with Verizon-clearly your supposed to have the feature "out of the box" as the instructions for MMS messages are in the manual

And why should we have to pay fro VzNav...when the phone is manufactured with GPS capabilities? That's nuts. Sprint users aren't faced with that dilemma (i dont think?) though Sprint sucks so negate the example
    Last edited by xoxMiss CEOxox; 07-11-08 at 11:40 AM.
    07-11-08 11:36 AM
    No one's mentioned the fact that your unable to send and receive MMS on the 8830 with Verizon-clearly your supposed to have the feature "out of the box" as the instructions for MMS messages are in the manual
    No one has mentioned this because the 8830 doesn't have a camera. You can still receive MMS and forward pictures with this phone, so it is not that Verizon has disabled this feature.
    07-11-08 11:39 AM
    just because you don't have a camera...doesn't mean you don't have pictures on your phone you'd like to share...and yeah if someone does send you an MMS message, you receive an email..with a link, to a crappy image that vaguely resembles your picture. If the phone isn't supposed to be capable of it, why are you instructed on how to send an MMS message in the manual? And no, you can't forward pics as an MMS only as an email. SO, if your sending a picture to someone who does not have email access on their phone, you have to use the phone number@thisisrediculous.wireless.net...more hassle.
    Don't get me wrong, I love VZ, but they do screw us over on some BB features.
    07-11-08 11:46 AM

How are you able to transfer files between your thinkpad and bb? When I try, my thinkpad says "Service is not found on device blackberry 8330".
    07-11-08 11:56 AM
    No one has mentioned this because the 8830 doesn't have a camera. You can still receive MMS and forward pictures with this phone, so it is not that Verizon has disabled this feature.
    Does this also mean that the MMS feature will still be crippled? That is one of the reasons I would want to get the Curve, because the 8830WE doesn't have this feature.
    Yes, MMS will not be crippled on the 8330 because it has a camera and the Verizon monkies flip the switch on MMS provisioning because of that. The 8830 is capable of it as well... just VZW doesn't provision for it. It's an actual service book that comes down... well, two of them to be exact.
    This should clear up this topic.

Wait, is this my 100th post? Yes, I can definitely say I'm an ABUSER!.
    07-11-08 12:15 PM
    Thank you....and congratulations! Your official...ahhh, inspiration *tear*
    07-11-08 12:26 PM
    just because you don't have a camera...doesn't mean you don't have pictures on your phone you'd like to share...and yeah if someone does send you an MMS message, you receive an email..with a link, to a crappy image that vaguely resembles your picture. If the phone isn't supposed to be capable of it, why are you instructed on how to send an MMS message in the manual? And no, you can't forward pics as an MMS only as an email. SO, if your sending a picture to someone who does not have email access on their phone, you have to use the phone number@thisisrediculous.wireless.net...more hassle.
    Don't get me wrong, I love VZ, but they do screw us over on some BB features.
    Read my post again. Nowhere did I say forward as an mms.

Well, if sending/receiving MMS was a selling point for you, why would you not get a phone with a camera??

And really Verizon isn't screwing anyone over Blackberry services.. sure they disable GPS, but oh well. It's a fact of life. I mean think about Sprint users... Sprint has disabled MMS features on every single Blackberry device they offer. Now that is lame.
    07-11-08 12:38 PM
    How are you able to transfer files between your thinkpad and bb? When I try, my thinkpad says "Service is not found on device blackberry 8330".
    Dear god that's hard to read. Don't mean to offend, but if you're writing for an audience other than yourself, please have mercy on our eyes

To send a file to the Blackberry:
    1. On the BB, open the Media application
    2. Press the menu button and select "Receive using Bluetooth"
    3. On the Thinkpad, Click on the Bluetooth icon in the Tray
    4. Choose "Send a File"
    5. Select "Blackberry 8xxx" and click Next
    6. Browse for the file you want to send, Click Open, then click Next
    7. Back on the Blackberry, modify the file location and name when it pops up (if needed) then click on "Save"
    et Voila!
    07-11-08 01:09 PM
    Yeah, that's not working. It says the the request can't be processed. Do you have to be running OS 4.5 for it work?
    07-12-08 08:32 PM
    Read my post again. Nowhere did I say forward as an mms.

Well, if sending/receiving MMS was a selling point for you, why would you not get a phone with a camera??

And really Verizon isn't screwing anyone over Blackberry services.. sure they disable GPS, but oh well. It's a fact of life. I mean think about Sprint users... Sprint has disabled MMS features on every single Blackberry device they offer. Now that is lame.
    Haha...NO you re-read MY post...I never said what you said or didn't say, I was just posting about the phone's capabilities (or lack thereof) because of the features disabled by verizon. You said that they didn't disable this feature...but they did! And your just further proving that point by suggesting if you want to forward a picture, you have to use email...which is not mms...which was the topic of my post.

I didn't get a phone with a camera (initially) because I dont use it! I have a digital camera and don't really use the one on the phone. However, I do transfer pics from my laptop to my phone and send them. More importantly, I receive a lot of pictures from others. The point is, the phone comes equipped with this feature, and Verizon disables it-period. And verizon is unfair in doing that, it might be a "fact of life" but as a paying customer, I have every right to voice my opinion and be disappointed in it.
    Last edited by xoxMiss CEOxox; 07-12-08 at 09:01 PM.
    07-12-08 08:47 PM
    Ummmmm ok. I'm not even going to argue. You win, k? There.

07-12-08 08:51 PM
    Yeah, that's not working. It says the the request can't be processed. Do you have to be running OS 4.5 for it work?
    I'm running stock 4.3 on my Curve, and it works fine. I don't know whether it's related to your case, but the Blackberry has always been fussy with versions of the Bluetooth stack, in that it would work only with the one supplied by Microsoft. You may have to uninstall anything supplied by IBM/Lenovo for Bluetooth support.

PS. Thanks for the font color change. I mean it
    Last edited by Dodge Deboulet; 07-12-08 at 09:10 PM.
    07-12-08 09:06 PM
    Ummmmm ok. I'm not even going to argue. You win, k? There.

Wow....it's not about "winning". Just stating the facts
    07-12-08 09:15 PM
    I'm running stock 4.3 on my Curve, and it works fine. I don't know whether it's related to your case, but the Blackberry has always been fussy with versions of the Bluetooth stack, in that it would work only with the one supplied by Microsoft. You may have to uninstall anything supplied by IBM/Lenovo for Bluetooth support.

PS. Thanks for the font color change. I mean it
    Yeah I'm running the same OS. Grrrrr, this is frustrating. Thanks for trying!

PS. No problem, I appreciate you bringing it to my attention.
    07-12-08 09:17 PM
    in my oppinion yes its true vrizon takes long to disable annd the things they can to charge you more and also they want to wait and make sure that all the bells and whistles work on thier phone when they have their name on it
    07-12-08 09:25 PM
    I set my BT up lastnight....was a piece of cake.

Did you set your BB up on your laptop so that it shows under BT Devices? If not:

1. Go to the Control Panel on your laptop to BT Devices and add your BB by setting your BB up to find the laptop BT.

Good luck
    07-12-08 10:14 PM
73 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD