07-12-08 10:14 PM
73 123
tools
    GPS is disabled on VZW for network security issues. This is the only reason that I am aware of. The reason VZW is slow at releasing anything not just BB, is the fact VZW tests everything to assure to best of VZW's knowledge it will work.

Best laid plans of mice and men, once it is out to public, more things are found and patches and updates issued.
    Yeah. If by "security issues" you mean for "profit."
    Verizon disables the GPS feature on all Blackberry devices so that its customers will sign up for VZNav. Plain and simple.

Verizon uses a CDMA network. The only other big CDMA carrier in the nation is Sprint. All the other big players are GSM carriers like the rest of the world. So it is no wonder that phone manufacturers target GSM carriers first when they come out with their shiny new devices.
    As far as Blackberries debuting late for Verizon, get used to it. Verizon is notoriously late on all the newest and greatest phones, not just devices from RIM. But this doesn't negate the fact that, for me, Verizon is number one. I have great coverage, awesome experiences with customer service, and the devices that Verizon does offer are good quality and have very few issues. So what if I have to wait a little longer for the Thunder... I wouldn't switch just because of that. Never ever.
    Last edited by jenaywins; 07-07-08 at 01:53 PM.
    07-07-08 01:51 PM
    You know, they have these things called "computers" that are often found in offices. You might want to invest in one, I hear they're great productivity enhancements
    Yeah, and there are these things called Blackberry Curves that have Wifi and are capable of UMA calling. I hear they're great productivity enhancements, and they fit in one's pocket. :P

The reason you'd defend Verizon's practice of putting in hardware (which of course is built into both the cost of the device and the schedule for devices being available) and then making you pay to use it eludes me. But I guess you're a fan, so we can agree to disagree, and I"ll continue to look for options.
    07-07-08 02:25 PM
    Yeah, and there are these things called Blackberry Curves that have Wifi and are capable of UMA calling. I hear they're great productivity enhancements, and they fit in one's pocket. :P
    Pretty sure desktops and laptops can do that too, or at least something remarkably close . . . and those are found in offices (apparently not yours though)

The reason you'd defend Verizon's practice of putting in hardware (which of course is built into both the cost of the device and the schedule for devices being available) and then making you pay to use it eludes me. But I guess you're a fan, so we can agree to disagree, and I"ll continue to look for options.
    I knew the deal when I signed on with Verizon. No point in putting your John Hancock on the bottom line then whining about the terms . . . but some people just need something to complain about, I guess.

Hey, if you really want 802.11b, you can always get a Wifi-enabled 8320 curve through T-Mobile.

Might have a little trouble with your GPS applications, though . . .
    Last edited by Dodge Deboulet; 07-07-08 at 02:45 PM.
    07-07-08 02:41 PM
    does anyone know when verizon is planning to come out with the bold?
    07-07-08 04:47 PM
    does anyone know when verizon is planning to come out with the bold?
    Nope. ATT, to my knowledge, is now saying September. Verizon probably won't see it until 09. Plus, Verizon will come out with the Thunder before the Bold, I'm sure.
    07-07-08 04:49 PM
    I don't wanna hear about slow. USCC just got the curve a month or so ago.

In my area anyway

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-07-08 04:50 PM
    I don't wanna hear about slow. USCC just got the curve a month or so ago.

In my area anyway

That's because you're one of probably 3 total customers that go with USCC.

Kidding!!
    07-07-08 04:51 PM
    That's because you're one of probably 3 total customers that go with USCC.

Kidding!!

That must be why they answer the phone so quick and seem to know who I am already?

Haha

You say I'm one of the few I say I'm in my own elite club hahaha

07-07-08 04:56 PM
    That must be why they answer the phone so quick and seem to know who I am already?

Haha

You say I'm one of the few I say I'm in my own elite club hahaha

Lol.... See? Life is all about perspective.
    07-07-08 04:58 PM
    ATT also has it's own GPS service (via telenav), it's called ATT Navigator...so as much as I love ATT, they also strip the built in features, in order to turn a profit....but I love me some GPS....
    07-07-08 04:58 PM
    GPS is disabled on VZW for network security issues.
    Yeah, the security of their own bank accounts! They disable it so they can force you into using VZNav at $10 a month... if they were worried about security issues they wouldn't turn around and charge $10 a month for their "valued customers" to use it.

If you want GPS, you use VzNav, which is actually a very fine application.
    Spoken like someone who has never used VZNav! It's a horrible applicatoin!
    07-07-08 05:13 PM
    Sheesh all I do is post the official word from VZW about GPS and I get earfull back. If you do not like buy a different GPS to carry with you.

call 911 - We need a WAAAmbulance. Yes I know I will take flack for this as well. so shoot away, I have big shoulders.
    07-07-08 05:43 PM
    Yes I know I will take flack for this as well. so shoot away, I have big shoulders.
    We already did...
    07-07-08 05:54 PM
    AH, you are too kind
    07-07-08 06:03 PM
    Yeah, the security of their own bank accounts! They disable it so they can force you into using VZNav at $10 a month... if they were worried about security issues they wouldn't turn around and charge $10 a month for their "valued customers" to use it.

Spoken like someone who has never used VZNav! It's a horrible applicatoin!
    I use it several times per week and has all features I need - turn by turn spoken directions, very nice local search, is incredibly accurate (like pretty much any GPS), and is reliable. Sorry if it doesn't meet your standards, but perhaps others may have an opinion?

07-07-08 09:53 PM
    I use it several times per week and has all features I need - turn by turn spoken directions, very nice local search, is incredibly accurate (like pretty much any GPS), and is reliable. Sorry if it doesn't meet your standards, but perhaps others may have an opinion?

I have heard both sides... My mum swears by this app. I find it just to be irritating. Everyone has their own take on everything.

07-07-08 09:56 PM
    My biggest problem is that I have found the directions are wrong quite often... I gave it a 4 month run and got wrong directions as often as I got the right ones!! Once it even had me in the WRONG part of town completely (35 miles out of the way...) I did utilize the local search, but I think that Google Maps has a better search feature. My biggest complaint is how S-L-O-W it is to load! I don't like that it won't let me use SureType either. I can multitap but I'm used to my SureType and forget to switch my brain over

Many people have opinions on the subject - there are numerous threads about this in the Verizon forum. It seems like lots of people like it and feel it's worth $10 a month. I don't agree! (Maybe Verizon is sending ringers over here to post?)

Either way, I'm glad you've found an application that works for you, I wish I liked it as well as you do!
    07-07-08 10:05 PM
    I have heard both sides... My mum swears by this app. I find it just to be irritating. Everyone has their own take on everything.
    I once had it on the "male voice" and my mom said, "Great... just what we need - a MAN telling us what to do!" I switched over to the female voice... Ha ha ha!!!
    07-07-08 10:07 PM
    Leaving any debate of plan/phone pricing and coverage aside; and as a Sprint customer...I must say that overall compared to Sprint's line-up of phones; Verizon's phones are much more trendy, fresh and appealing.

07-08-08 10:53 AM
    Leaving any debate of plan/phone pricing and coverage aside; and as a Sprint customer...I must say that overall compared to Sprint's line-up of phones; Verizon's phones are much more trendy, fresh and appealing.

While we get the BB Thunder you'll be getting the HTC Diamond on Sprint.
    07-08-08 12:00 PM
    I Just dont understand... why no WiFi... Is it because the majority of people that want the internet will pay the $30 for data... and what if you do pay the money but dont get service in a building.... all i want is my WiFi on verizon
    07-08-08 09:37 PM
    I once had it on the "male voice" and my mom said, "Great... just what we need - a MAN telling us what to do!" I switched over to the female voice... Ha ha ha!!!
    Ha! I already have a navigator with a male voice..... My boyfriend.

07-08-08 09:39 PM
    I Just dont understand... why no WiFi... Is it because the majority of people that want the internet will pay the $30 for data... and what if you do pay the money but dont get service in a building.... all i want is my WiFi on verizon
    Verizon will not activate a Blackberry without a data plan, so if you've got a Blackberry, you've got data service. In my case, it's been pretty rare that wifi service is available and EVDO isn't . . . and I think this is true for 95% (or more) of the people on Verizon given their network coverage.

And there are no CDMA BBs with Wifi from any provider currently. It's not just Verizon.

Finally, the vendors that do provide Wifi do it at the expense of GPS.
    07-09-08 06:27 AM
    id rather have WiFi because i am just fine looking at a map.. but thanks for the reply.. it actually makes sence..
    07-09-08 08:47 AM
    While we get the BB Thunder you'll be getting the HTC Diamond on Sprint.
    Vaxick, out of curiosity...what do you think about the Thunder compared to the Diamond? Specifically; do you think these two offerings on the two respective carriers are equal/comprable?

07-09-08 09:42 AM
73 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD