01-12-11 07:06 PM
27 12
tools
    How much does RIM depend on subscriptions on their bottom line? Wouldn't the costs be somewhat stable around the world, tempered to the cost of doing business.

Is RIMM the stock code?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    yes it is....and for each device their would be a subscription so if you arent selling devices, you arent getting new subscriptions either. now they might make enough off the subscriptions already that the "slump" really doesnt hurt them in that area
    01-12-11 06:57 PM
    Wouldn't mind seeing where you got those numbers from. I love number-crunching but if it's true, then looks like RIM are smarter than we think.
    From the PC Mag's interview with the Mike:
    RIM CEO Details BlackBerry "Super Phone" Plans

Some pretty interesting stuff in it. 500 carriers in 170 countries (if I'm reading that right...). I'm just saying that RIM's brain trust isn't quite as dumb as some people think.

But the other companies just run off the standard towers... it's only RIM's BlackBerry smartphones that require extra infrstructure, right?
    Nope, BB's use the same towers as everybody else. They do need their own networks, but I believe all other carriers do, too. It's the distribution and support infrastructure that needs to be established, not to mention legalities and approvals and God knows what else. They all have to do it if they want to sell in these developing markets where they aren't yet doing business, and RIM is banking on being in more markets sooner than everybody else to give them a competitive edge.

Well given the points you've made, there's a 95% chance they'll overthrow the competition in a couple of years time. Maybe in 2015, we'll see RIM stormraging back and overthrow the Android. But for now, I guess they need to bide their time.
    Not sure I'm reading those carriers and countries right -- I don't know if he's saying RIM is in those countries, or if he's just saying that's how big the global market is. Nobody's come out and slapped me around yet for interpreting it wrong; but I can't find anything anywhere to either confirm or refute that, either. Point is, RIM is going

Anyway, no one is saying that RIM is going to run roughshod over the competition, either ... they'll just be in a better position globally, be in places that the competition isn't yet, which in the big picture, will keep them very competitive for a good long time. At some point all the other manufacturers will be in pretty much the same places, and then the fight will come down to the devices and overall quality of service again. Or the more likely scenario is there will be some huge new technological breakthrough (5G!!!) that somebody will have to be the first to take advantage of, and if it isn't RIM, we'll be having these same 'discussions' all over again.

I can certainly understand why some BB faithful in the established markets feel like they've been abandoned. All I can say is, I don't think that's the case. RIM slower coming to market with newer stuff than some people are willing to accept, and I can appreciate that. But their value proposition has not changed, and that's what's going to keep a lot of BB customers hanging around until the new stuff does come out. And there will be many who will jump ship because they won't want to wait. Don't think that RIM isn't aware of it; there's a degree of churn built into every business forecast, and it's just one of many variables that changes with every strategic decision.

My point is, I think they know what they're doing. Time will tell!
    01-12-11 07:06 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD