01-12-11 06:06 PM
27 12
tools
    So after reading this article, is RIM concentraiting on sales outside of North America and this is the reason for no new phone announcement?

Why Verizon’s IPhone Won’t Be So Bad For Research In Motion | Arik Hesseldahl | NewEnterprise | AllThingsD
    01-10-11 12:04 PM
    when you are losing your shirt in NA with no hope to reverse the situation you go to plan B. Plan B is make tons of cheap 2g and 2.5g phones and sell them in Java Indonesia and Peru. This is a totally different business plan than the one that put Rimm at $30b market cap company.
    01-10-11 12:09 PM
    I wouldn't exactly call a 30% incrrease in sales 'losing your shirt,' regardless of where it comes from. It's all part of the plan.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-10-11 02:43 PM
    when you are losing your shirt in NA with no hope to reverse the situation you go to plan B. Plan B is make tons of cheap 2g and 2.5g phones and sell them in Java Indonesia and Peru. This is a totally different business plan than the one that put Rimm at $30b market cap company.
    ok, so people im sure will flame me for this, but the whole world doesnt revolve around US sales.

RIM has decided that going after a potential market in the billions of subscribers, and having them pay X ammount for BIS/BES each month is a good idea.

because of this they have quarter on quarter seen increases in profit.

so they are turning a (currently record) profit and gaining more BIS/BES subscribers which is in turn future profit.

id love to know how expandning your base to have loads more customers under your subscription is a bad thing
    01-10-11 02:49 PM
    rogers once had the exclusive for the iphone here in canada when it was first released then when that ended people were saying o no whats going to happen to the blackberrys here now everyones gpoing to jump on the iphone well that sure never happened bell and telus now also sell the iphone and blackberry sales here in canada are still very very strong so there you go.
    01-10-11 03:26 PM
    maybe the iphone and apple need this more then this hurting rimm iphone growth hasnt really been record breaking lately the big momentum has been on android the iphone growth has slowed down and im still not convinced that its all at&t networks failt of the dropped calls and stuff . if the iphone is released is there another one comming in june who woukld buy one now knowing that. wouldnt it have been better to release it on verizon in june when the new one is announced ?
    maybe they need help in sales
    01-10-11 03:32 PM
    At this point, RIM is thinking genius, selling it out of north america is a good thing, they'll thrive, they'll gain new customers, used blackberries still use BIS and the old old ones (GSM blackberries of any age) could still support the 2G networks, as long as service still works. CDMA ones are screwed for non-world-wide use, dataless and I'd call them PIM devices. My two cents.

01-10-11 09:42 PM
    RIM is thinking genius as it stands, but what happens when Android turns its head to worldwide sales, and completely strips RIM of it worldwide too? What if the Android tempts everyone around the world, just like it's doing in NA?
    01-10-11 09:59 PM
    Verizon threw the Storm 2.5 back at RIMs face before this iPhone 4 release talk. Is that bad enough?

01-10-11 10:15 PM
    At this point, RIM is thinking genius, selling it out of north america is a good thing, they'll thrive, they'll gain new customers, used blackberries still use BIS and the old old ones (GSM blackberries of any age) could still support the 2G networks, as long as service still works. CDMA ones are screwed for non-world-wide use, dataless and I'd call them PIM devices. My two cents.

Yeah because all those companies that own BES in the US will sit around forever and wait forever, right?
    01-11-11 05:45 AM
    RIM is thinking genius as it stands, but what happens when Android turns its head to worldwide sales, and completely strips RIM of it worldwide too? What if the Android tempts everyone around the world, just like it's doing in NA?
    First off, you're making a very bold assumption that Android phones are going to completely wipe out all of RIM's market share. That just ain't gonna happen.

As for your question of what's going to happen, RIM will already have a well-established foothold in world-wide markets. In fact they're close to that point already. That's what RIM has been doing while everybody thinks they've been sitting on their hands watching the competition pass them by. That didn't happen overnight for RIM, and it isn't going to happen overnight for the competitors. Apple does have a broader presence than most of the rest, being in about 90 countries (compared to RIM being in 170). But while everybody else is building infrastructures and doing all the other legwork required to push their wares all over the globe, RIM is already there, and then they'll be concentrating on delivering new technology everywhere.

Is it a guaranteed success? Of course not; but the strategy is sound.
    01-11-11 06:39 AM
    Im starting to feel like RIM is the new SEGA.... They started out strong with the game systems... then they released a few systems that they didnt support for long and the market lost confidence. They finally catch up and release Dreamcast which was really good for its time... but no one wanted to take the risk and BAM.. SEGA falls on its face and pulls completely from the hardware market.

Im not sayin RIM will stop making phones, just that they will come out with the cool new phones waaaaay to late.
    01-11-11 08:04 AM
    Im not sayin RIM will stop making phones, just that they will come out with the cool new phones waaaaay to late.
    A lot of people said this exact same thing about Motorola a few years ago. Even said they would be bought out by now. Look at Motorola now.
    01-11-11 08:38 AM
    First off, you're making a very bold assumption that Android phones are going to completely wipe out all of RIM's market share. That just ain't gonna happen.
    Very true, but I was trying to put it as a WCS (Worst Case Scenario) for RIM.

As for your question of what's going to happen, RIM will already have a well-established foothold in world-wide markets. In fact they're close to that point already. That's what RIM has been doing while everybody thinks they've been sitting on their hands watching the competition pass them by.
    I'm presuming the UK is one good example of this. Curve 8520 (2G phone) - best-seller in the UK.

That didn't happen overnight for RIM, and it isn't going to happen overnight for the competitors. Apple does have a broader presence than most of the rest, being in about 90 countries (compared to RIM being in 170).
    Wouldn't mind seeing where you got those numbers from. I love number-crunching but if it's true, then looks like RIM are smarter than we think.

But while everybody else is building infrastructures and doing all the other legwork required to push their wares all over the globe, RIM is already there, and then they'll be concentrating on delivering new technology everywhere.
    But the other companies just run off the standard towers... it's only RIM's BlackBerry smartphones that require extra infrstructure, right?

Is it a guaranteed success? Of course not; but the strategy is sound.
    Well given the points you've made, there's a 95% chance they'll overthrow the competition in a couple of years time. Maybe in 2015, we'll see RIM stormraging back and overthrow the Android. But for now, I guess they need to bide their time.
    01-11-11 08:58 AM
    A lot of people said this exact same thing about Motorola a few years ago. Even said they would be bought out by now. Look at Motorola now.
    Ignoring the fact Motorola is backed up with a overwhelming presence of android, which is Google offers free services that are game changing.

01-11-11 09:05 AM
    And QNX will be game changing for RIM once they put it into a their cell phones. RIM will be back with great phones running QNX. Just not as soon as we all want them to.
    01-11-11 09:11 AM
    The Verizon Iphone is a good thing for RIM... I completely agree b/c of one main reason. It is a common belief that increased competition in the smartphone market will only help the consumer. I would argue that in this case it helps the company (RIM). Motorola, Samsung, Apple, HTC have all set the bar for touchscreen smartphones. RIM can no longer bring yr old technology to the market and expect it to sell. They need to bring the "superphone" that ML was talking about to the market. Time will tell but I think RIM will bounce back with some great phones.
    01-11-11 11:25 AM
    Well, investors apparently aren't too concerned. Less that two hours after 'the' announcement and RIMM's stock is up almost a buck. Not that they know anything...

Oops, over a buck, and climbing.
    01-11-11 12:15 PM
    Well, investors apparently aren't too concerned. Less that two hours after 'the' announcement and RIMM's stock is up almost a buck. Not that they know anything...

yup its odd but the RIMM, GOOG AAPL and VZ stocks didnt even budge at the sound of that news, apart from apple dropping .2% everyone else was the same as they were pre 11am
    01-11-11 12:22 PM

It's because investors know that RIM is still growing in other parts of the world. Because of this, the iPhone announcement is no big concern to investors.
    01-11-11 12:26 PM

They don't know half as much as the experts around here...
    itsdollar likes this.
    01-11-11 12:30 PM
    the verizon iphone is the beginning of the end for rim/blackberry! blackberry is becoming the sega of cell phones. (with my opinion) i'm trying to paint the wcs (worst case scenario) for blackberry?

amusing as a lot of this crap is to read, it's still crap. the iphone was a nice toy and, until the next gen iphone arrives, it's a less capable toy on the verizon network. all the spewing one way or the other may look/sound good but it's nothing more than self serving banter! not even worth the time spent stringing it together.

in the end, remember, it's a phone! not the center of anything but something intended to help facilitate events. anyone can mashup a bunch of stats or toss out an idea/opinion and claim it says this, that or the other thing. ultimately, it really doesn't say much about anything! and, what will happen will happen...regardless!
    01-12-11 03:59 PM
    These Threads o' Doom always remind me of Taco Bell in Demolition Man. They were the only restaurant to survive the "Fast Food Wars", and "Now , every restaurant is Taco Bell"

Who will be the lone survivor of the phone wars???

Demolition Man (1993) - Taco Bell - Films N Movies
    01-12-11 04:36 PM
    It's because investors know that RIM is still growing in other parts of the world. Because of this, the iPhone announcement is no big concern to investors.
    rimm went to plan "b" because plan "a" is failing. they are declinging into nothingness in the USA so naturally they go elsewhere for sales. be advised that their business in Indonesia is far different than it is in USA. they aren't selling expensive subscriptions there. they are selling $80 phones that text and do bbm.
    01-12-11 05:03 PM
    How much does RIM depend on subscriptions on their bottom line? Wouldn't the costs be somewhat stable around the world, tempered to the cost of doing business.

Is RIMM the stock code?

01-12-11 05:47 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD