08-06-09 05:42 AM
51 123
tools
    I appreciate that "communism" has a negative connotation. However, if the intent is to slur Verizon by branding them "communist" - that is just missing the mark.

Communism is defined as: "An economic system characterized by collective ownership of property and by the organization of labor for common advantage."

I don't work for Verizon. So, I don't know for certain - but, I'd pretty much assume that the top officers of the company make significantly more income than the store employees. To my knowledge the employees are not organized into a union. And Verizon doesn't seem to market their prodocts as something everyone should "collectively share". Rather, they charge a high price.

This is not a defense of Verizon. Or a condemnation. Just an observation that Verizon is the most polar OPPOSITE of communist as I could possibly imagine.
    If "Big Red" is is intended as derogatory we need to be a bit more creative and inventive. To call them "communist" as a slur would be like trying to insult a black man and calling him a "Cracker". The black guy would be like, "WTF?".

Unless irony is the intent - it may just be that since I've been with Verizon for so long I can no longer afford a sence of humor.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-05-09 11:03 PM
    Sorry boys & girls - the Soviets were referred to as "Red Communists" because they were powerful & aggressive. Red China, the same thing. Red is power, aggression, fundamentalism. It is not an ideal.

Red is NOT the color of Communism. The actual color associated with Communism is blue - a not-so-subtle indication of Marx' original idea that the community should work together for the greater good of the masses - basic collective unity.

History buffs & Patriots need only to look at the meaning behind the colors of the American Flag to know red is a good thing.

So go back to class & stop looking for Wikipedia references.

08-05-09 11:07 PM
    Twins - we think too much.

08-05-09 11:16 PM
    Sorry boys & girls - the Soviets were referred to as "Red Communists" because they were powerful & aggressive. Red China, the same thing. Red is power, aggression, fundamentalism. It is not an ideal.

Red is NOT the color of Communism. The actual color associated with Communism is blue - a not-so-subtle indication of Marx' original idea that the community should work together for the greater good of the masses - basic collective unity.

History buffs & Patriots need only to look at the meaning behind the colors of the American Flag to know red is a good thing.

So go back to class & stop looking for Wikipedia references.

Kids today don't care about history.

08-05-09 11:17 PM
    Twins - we think too much.

Is this a bad thing?

08-05-09 11:18 PM
    Geeze ruin all the fun. It was obviously not a serious answer.

08-05-09 11:21 PM
    Maybe it's because talking on a Verizon phone gives you cinnamon fresh breath.

Get it? Big Red gum? Get it? Huh? Get it? Come on... Cinnamon... Gum? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

08-05-09 11:23 PM
    Or maybe that crappy tasting red cream soda?

08-05-09 11:25 PM
    I never thought about that question. that and why is new york called the big apple.
    08-05-09 11:26 PM
    Someone's googling that right now. I'm just sure of it.

08-05-09 11:28 PM
    Geeze ruin all the fun. It was obviously not a serious answer.
    Sorry to have ruined your fun, but I take serious exception to American companies, based on American principles, being associated with Communism.

It isn't cool and it isn't very bright.

08-05-09 11:29 PM
    Dude. Chill.

08-05-09 11:31 PM
    Someone's googling that right now. I'm just sure of it.

Don't need to Google it - it is a reference to old-time racing circuits & the prominence of NYC tracks in the circuits.

And don't tell me to chill. I am much farther north than you are, both geographically & mentally.

08-05-09 11:34 PM
    Ok. Fine however, I'm not following you on the whole "racing" apple thing.

08-05-09 11:36 PM
    Don't need to Google it - it is a reference to old-time racing circuits & the prominence of NYC tracks in the circuits.

And don't tell me to chill. I am much farther north than you are, both geographically & mentally.

+1

08-05-09 11:36 PM
    Ok. Fine however, I'm not following you on the whole "racing" apple thing.
    Think horses & racing. Horses love apples for treats. The racing circuits in NYC in the late 19th & early 20th centuries, up to about the Depression were popular & had large purses.

The horses woulf run for what racing enthusiasts called "The Big Apple" and the nickname for NYC eventually stuck.

It was only relatively recently - maybe the last 30 or so years - that the city actually adopted it for tourism promos.

08-05-09 11:41 PM
    Ok. That makes sense I was thinking racing as in cars. I knew "big apple" was MUCH older than auto racing - so, you lost me there. The horse thing makes sence.

Boy, the things you learn here. We were just attempting to unravel the obvious reason why a company that uses bright red colors in all of its logos and literature would unfathomably be called big red (duh). And segued into 19th century horse racing. Sweet.

08-05-09 11:47 PM
    wow in 24 hours I have three pages of answers overwhelmingly pointing to communism. Thank you everyone.
    08-05-09 11:59 PM
    Quote: "overwhelmingly pointing to communism"

Ok, twinsx2dad - deep breaths. Relax. Remain calm. Get some fresh air.

08-06-09 12:02 AM
    Quote: "overwhelmingly pointing to communism"

Ok, twinsx2dad - deep breaths. Relax. Remain calm. Get some fresh air.

You know I hate to say it, but Twins has been around for some time, and I watch these forums a lot with rarely much posting in here, just reading with his information and gee, it feels like he could be "Who wants to be a millionaire!" show and get everything right with no Helplines used.

He is quite smart with his knowledge, and yes, even the internet can be wrong. Oh gosh, I like... never knew that!! (well... I actually did.)

In fact, it makes you feel quite small sometimes when you know you've just been pounded by him, lol.
    08-06-09 12:43 AM
    I appreciate that "communism" has a negative connotation. However, if the intent is to slur Verizon by branding them "communist" - that is just missing the mark.
    Don't take it too literally or seriously. A bunch of people in this thread are VZW employees goofing around.

I think it's safe to say that a company like Verizon is about as anti-communist as you can get.
    08-06-09 12:50 AM
    I know. Twins is the man. I've had good discussions with him. Or, at least enjoyed reading his discussions.

I'm not saying it's wrong to get razzled by someone calling an American company commie. I actually agree with him. I was just trying to lighten him up a little. Twins was getting all worked up and I think it was gonna give him a heart attack.

I figured when the OP came back and said "ok, estsblished - Verizon is communist" he'd go berzerk. It's probably best if he go away from the boards for a second and have a nice breather.

I'm just relaxing watchin' a Neil Young concert on VH1. It's hard to get riled with Neil playing.

08-06-09 12:53 AM
    I'm well aware that this is not a serious discussion of Verizons politcal leanings.
    It is humorous to consider VZW as commie. Someone should photoshop the iconic Lenin profile and the Russian flag with the VZW logo fused together.

08-06-09 12:56 AM
    haha, leave it to you guys to get your fluffy feathers ruffled out of shape and get all serious.
    08-06-09 03:26 AM
    Don't post confidential company info here!

Just wanted to let you know this made me LOL.
    08-06-09 03:27 AM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD