05-16-09 10:14 PM
58 123
tools
    Yes, we've all heard that .141 failed. I just don't understand how that's VZW's fault. Apparently, they have set a standard as to how they would like the next OS to perform and RIM is not delivering. When .141 was leaked, everyone complained about how it didn't fix this or that, but now you complain about VZW not certifying it? Please don't tell me about how it shouldn't have been released with .65/.75. While that fact is ultimately true, it was released and now we must deal with it. Those of us in the know have been upgrading to leaked OS's ever since. My phone runs great (Lyricidal's .141 hybrid), and it keeps getting better. If .65 sucked and .141 sucks (judging by your complaints), this is a RIM problem not a VZW problem. RIM builds these OS's, VZW just accepts or rejects them.
    05-12-09 11:37 AM
    I dont think there is anything wrong with verizon, its the storm it has been a problem since day one.
    05-12-09 11:49 AM
    My phone runs great (Lyricidal's .141 hybrid), and it keeps getting better.
    People complain because verizon hasn't shown any support for the storm. Its been what six months since the last update? Seriously both Rim and Verizon need to get their act together test more OS and get one out to the public. Some people dont want to load a leaked version some arent that savy to actually do it. People have a right to complain because they bought a device that should of worked, and some have waited being verizon loyals for a new os and its a shame that they havent released a new os yet. Verizon knows they messed up so thats why when you complain to them about the storm they will help replace the storm, with another storm, but the problem isnt the hardware its the software.

I love the phone but hate the OS. Give me a legal released OS. I am upset that neither rim or verizon done anything to get us a working OS. Rim for not giving verizon one and verizon for not forcing Rim to make a GC.
    05-12-09 12:13 PM
    My complaint over the storm would be twofold. First, VZW claims to test devices to ensure that they work, so there are no customer issues with the device, having received mine on launch day, that was not the case. Going along with that my 2nd complaint would be that there has been little done to upgrade the os Yes I know leaked os'es (is that the proper plural?) exist, but I am on a BES, and could not upgrade to them. It was so bad that I went back to my 8830 as I travel overseas often.

In short, I feel that I paid for a device that does not meet my needs. Not because the device has shortcomings with the hardware, but with the software the runs it. I have waited for the new os, and once it comes out, I may try the storm again, but for now, I have a cool paperweight for my desk.

Granted some of these problems are RIM based, but as VZW claims to test devices to ensure they meet their standards or they won't sell the device, I am left wondering what the standards for releasing a device are?
    05-12-09 12:21 PM
    I am upset that neither rim or verizon done anything to get us a working OS. Rim for not giving verizon one and verizon for not forcing Rim to make a GC.
    Do you have a solution that VZW could use? Maybe an armed junta at RIM headquarters? Possibly a VZW-sponsored return of all Storms to be replaced by Curves that VZW doesn't pay for?

I can't seem to figure out what VZW is supposed to do in this - they are separate companies and VZW can't do anything we might do in a similar situation. If BestBuy didn't fix problems for me, I could choose to never go back to BestBuy & even use it as a threat to get them to move on the issue. With a carrier & RIM, this isn't an option as customers would follow their phone.

We're sorry sir, but because RIM failed to correct Storm issues, Verizon Wireless no longer offers BlackBerry products. Can I interest you in a Nokia flip-phone?

You cannot fully correct hardware deficiencies with software patches - in fact, you can only cover them up. In the case of the Storm, this is exactly what RIM is attempting to do. The phone is of extremely poor design and now they are trying to fix it with software.

Oh gee, I see your arm was just cut off. Can I get you a BandAid & an aspirin?

The expected OS may never come and VZW doesn't write OS code.

Posted from my BlackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-12-09 12:58 PM
    Do you have a solution that VZW could use? Maybe an armed junta at RIM headquarters? Possibly a VZW-sponsored return of all Storms to be replaced by Curves that VZW doesn't pay for?

Why do people automatically just to a going to rim or verizon and making some sort of junta?

If it was so defective hardware verizon shouldnt of released plain and simple. You are taking what im saying out of context. Verizon can tell RIM to get them a working os so that they can in turn test pass it and give it to their customers. The rebooting and shutting of of the phone isnt a hardware issue its a software issue. Does the phone work? yes. Does it make calls ? yes. Does it recieve and send data? yes. Does the keypad on the phone appear correctly? no. Does it ramdomly reboot? yes. does it constantly freeze? yes. Please explain to me how these issues are hardware? The phone does what it supposed to do, what most people have issues involve software. not hardware.
    05-12-09 01:17 PM
    I don't understand. Doesn't RIM have a copy of Verizon's standards for testing? If so RIM should never let out an OS for certification if they test to the same standards as Verizon. They would know ahead of time that it didn't meet. Just a thought.
    05-12-09 01:20 PM
    Why do people automatically just to a going to rim or verizon and making some sort of junta?

If it was so defective hardware verizon shouldnt of released plain and simple. You are taking what im saying out of context. Verizon can tell RIM to get them a working os so that they can in turn test pass it and give it to their customers. The rebooting and shutting of of the phone isnt a hardware issue its a software issue. Does the phone work? yes. Does it make calls ? yes. Does it recieve and send data? yes. Does the keypad on the phone appear correctly? no. Does it ramdomly reboot? yes. does it constantly freeze? yes. Please explain to me how these issues are hardware? The phone does what it supposed to do, what most people have issues involve software. not hardware.
    Once again, this is RIM's problem. You say Verizon shouldn't have released it, once again giving RIM a pass.
    05-12-09 01:24 PM
    no im saying verizon should demand rim to give them a working os. Rim makes the OS. Demand a working one so Verizon can release it to us. Im not giving Rim a pass. If anything rim should take most of the blame in this whole disaster.
    05-12-09 01:37 PM
    no im saying verizon should demand rim to give them a working os. Rim makes the OS. Demand a working one so Verizon can release it to us. Im not giving Rim a pass. If anything rim should take most of the blame in this whole disaster.
    Do you honestly think that they aren't? From a purely customer service/reputation perspective, VZW is probably as upset as a lot of people in here. They don't want their reputation soiled by a device with such high expectations failing to perform as expected.
    05-12-09 01:47 PM
    Whoever out there can state that this is soley RIM's issue then you really need to step back and analyze this a little more. RIM delivered a substandard OS that came along with a phone that had promise to compete heavily with the I-Phone. VZW made the ultimate decision they were going to release the Storm with a sub-standard OS. There has been no committment on RIM's part to get this right and on VZW's end there has been no committment to obligate RIM to further the software development of the Storm's OS. So both are to blame in my book.
    05-12-09 01:50 PM
    Thank you pcaron.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-12-09 02:50 PM
    Whoever out there can state that this is soley RIM's issue then you really need to step back and analyze this a little more. RIM delivered a substandard OS that came along with a phone that had promise to compete heavily with the I-Phone. VZW made the ultimate decision they were going to release the Storm with a sub-standard OS. There has been no committment on RIM's part to get this right and on VZW's end there has been no committment to obligate RIM to further the software development of the Storm's OS. So both are to blame in my book.
    No commitment? Why, because all problems haven't been solved? That means that they aren't committed? Where do you get this from? Oh, you have "inside" information. You pulled that answer out of your ***, as you know no more than any of us.
    05-12-09 03:34 PM
    Mine works fine. Hey that rhymes ;-)
    05-12-09 03:45 PM
    If you didn't think the Storm performed up to your standards, why do you still have it? You have 30 days to test drive the phone...and you could have returned it and waited until a more stable OS came out...

Verizon gave you an option...a pretty good one. Most carriers only allow 14 days or < 15 minutes of talk time.
    05-12-09 03:45 PM

Lab testing & real-world operation are different animals. Throw in promises, expectaions, contracts & money and you have a situation where VZW had to release the phone - else we'd be here months later still without the Storm.

RIM has been working on correcting the problems. Witness the minor bug-fix revisions in the software. We are now up to 141, after all.

My feeling is this. The majority of Storm owners are not unhappy, but the unhappy ones are a vocal bunch. I also feel that the Storm isn't really defective, per se, but a bad design. I know I misspoke using the word defective before - in my mind, bad design is worse than being defective. Defects can be corrected easily with replacements or repair. Design flaws are not as simple to correct.

There are some very strong rumors about a total redesign (Storm2) being demanded by VZW, to replace the original phone. These are more than just rumors and have been aluded to by both VZW & RIM. How they deal with the folks unhappy with their Storms is something I cannot answer, nor do I want to really speculate on. I do know that if any replacements are offered, RIM will probably be the one taking the hit & this could hamper their financial standing. This could mean many things, from future product delays to increased pricing to reduced device quality. But I honestly don't see any subsidized replacements beyond maybe an accelerated NE2 discount for a new phone.

I mean, think about it - if it costs RIM $250 to make/market/deliver a Storm & they had to replace say a million of them...

05-12-09 03:48 PM
    Verizon is just a reason for people to complain about. Their lives would not be fulfilled if they didn't complain about something. Verizon has a customer rating over 90% which would make any company happy. The other 10% are the whiners who will never be happy and I'm sure Verizon views them as noise.
    05-12-09 03:54 PM
    Verizon is just a reason for people to complain about. Their lives would not be fulfilled if they didn't complain about something. Verizon has a customer rating over 90% which would make any company happy. The other 10% are the whiners who will never be happy and I'm sure Verizon views them as noise.
    Have to agree with ya....
    05-12-09 03:58 PM
    Have to agree with ya....
    Me too...

05-12-09 04:04 PM
    YES YES YES!!!

And they bought the phone from Verizon and think Verizon has the magic ability to fix all and when Verizon can't they then say Verizon is screwing them. What it really should be is they fell for the hoopla of the Storm, didn't take it back before the 30 days are up and now they don't want to fess up that they were taken for a ride. Same thing happened wth first gen iPhones. People were so sucked up by the coolness factor they didn't pay attention. Then when the coolness wore off they noticed the shortcomings and what did they do? They blamed AT&T. Phones are a tool and a convenience. They are not cool. What is cool is a week in the mountains with family away from phones and computers.

05-12-09 04:05 PM
    Phones are a tool and a convenience. They are not cool. What is cool is a week in the mountains with family away from phones and computers.
    I have to agree with that, too.

I am too agreeable today - I must be feeling ill or something.

05-12-09 04:07 PM
    I blame RIM for my dropped calls.
    05-12-09 04:11 PM
    Aw - you Aggies are all alike.

That is an intended design feature to keep you from running up your minutes!

Here's one you might enjoy.

Q: Why do the Longhorns dislike playing on artificial turf?

A: Because there's nowhere for their cheerleaders to graze.

05-12-09 04:34 PM
    "With the Verizon dropped call rate registering the lowest in the industry, it's no surprise that its overall customer satisfaction rating is the highest in the industry.

As the following chart shows, 49% of Verizon customers said they are very satisfied with their current cellular service provider -- well ahead of its next closest competitor, AT&T."

Seems like you're about the only one!
    05-12-09 04:36 PM
    i think that Verizon has heard so many bad things about the out of box OS, that they dont want to release an OS thats not going to meet up to the standards of the nations whiners. I do think they could be a little quicker though...but im not in the labs testing the OS, so i have no idea whats going on...just hope there is one soon. lol
    05-12-09 04:40 PM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD