05-26-09 02:19 PM
62 123
tools
    maybe its just u
    05-21-09 07:31 PM
    Yep, me and the other 87 million people that haven't left Verizon because they don't have wifi on their Blackberries.
    05-21-09 07:34 PM
    vz has the largest customer base because of mergers. Dont mistaken that for what it is!

BB users are an even smaller group. Give it 2 or 3 years to see if those existing customers switch!

Alhough now that vz heard the wifi call (as well as GPS), they might save some customers! VZ Is not stupid, they know there is dissatisfaction out there because of this despite of ur posting....

There would be no change at all if what ur saying was true!
    05-21-09 07:47 PM
    vz has the largest customer base because of mergers. Dont mistaken that for what it is!
    You know, you step in it so much, I am surprised you still come out.

How did AT&T get to be the largest for a short while? Don't you think mergers with CellularOne & Cingular had something to do with that? Cingular & AT&T was roughly a merger of equals, yet the result was an AT&T that was barely larger than VZW.

In the past 10 years, AT&T owes a much larger portion of its customer base to mergers & acquisitions.

That's okay though - keep proving you read & believe the kid's posts on other sites. Some day you might learn a tad of discernment before you get too much more suckered by the talking points of the anti-VZW crowd.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-21-09 07:58 PM
    I would think it physically hurt to walk into something that hard.
    05-21-09 08:06 PM
    LOL, thats funny.
    05-21-09 08:07 PM
    the herd mentality strikes again!
    05-21-09 08:37 PM
    the herd mentality strikes again!
    No not really, just a large group that does nto agree with you. They are also getting aggrivated by the polution of every thread with WI-FI caca
    05-21-09 08:45 PM
    which I have created next to none. I wonder if this crowd wants to rethink ppls desire for it??? Don't blame me! Its a real issue!

And the more these fanatics on here defend the practice, the more the topic will continue! And when vz gets it, its going to be because of customer persistance! If we dont have that, we dont have wifi! Now that.................. is a simple concept!

CB rants dont change anything... but that same drive causes people to more than just rant on a forum. And thats what makes the difference! Which actually has worked given the news!
    05-21-09 08:48 PM
    There are about 5 here who rant about it - one incessantly. Compare that to several hundred who don't care.

05-21-09 08:56 PM
    which I have created next to none. I wonder if this crowd wants to rethink ppls desire for it??? Don't blame me! Its a real issue!

And the more these fanatics on here defend the practice, the more the topic will continue! And when vz gets it, its going to be because of customer persistance! If we dont have that, we dont have wifi! Now that.................. is a simple concept!

CB rants dont change anything... but that same drive causes people to more than just rant on a forum. And thats what makes the difference! Which actually has worked given the news!
    Once again I would not agree, since these devices we own do not have it, we agreed and use them. If this were not the case, we would have other devices that do or would even be with another carrier.

Now I will agree if those want it, advise VZW that would beneift them and VZW agrees and adds it, then more power and another feature added. If they do not, then so be it and see my statement above.

I do not mind the debates about this subject of WI_FI. What I do mind is the numerous threads about the same thing, the whining, the arguing, etc. What I do mind is the fact that regardless of the subject of a thread - some how it has to ruined by someone bringing WI-FI into play and it just start the entire argument all over. Same whining, point of view - it just gets old.
    05-21-09 08:58 PM
    look, if we are arguing that we are being cheated, then I would agree with this constant argument of "u knew what u were getting when u signed!" No one is saying they felt cheated at the register! Everyone knew there was no wifi! The argument is that eople are loyal to these carriers and are also loyal to blackberries! We just want to have a feature others have, with both the quality of verizon and blackberry at the same time!

if anything, these rants are a compliment to "THE NETWORK!" If it was as simple as switchng to get wifi, dont u think most people would of done it already??? Why do they sta and complain? (well, aside from contractual issues)

They stay because even though they want wifi, a strong network is even more important! However!!!! It doesnt mean that the wifi argument should just go away! Lets get real! In the world of competition, even verizon has its limit! It may be a better network, but it ain't perfection either! There is a limit!

Point is, in arguing for a feature on a specific carrier, we are in that very essance, saying they are the better carrier already!
    05-21-09 09:06 PM
    look, if we are arguing that we are being cheated, then I would agree with this constant argument of "u knew what u were getting when u signed!" No one is saying they felt cheated at the register! Everyone knew there was no wifi! The argument is that eople are loyal to these carriers and are also loyal to blackberries! We just want to have a feature others have, with both the quality of verizon and blackberry at the same time!

if anything, these rants are a compliment to "THE NETWORK!" If it was as simple as switchng to get wifi, dont u think most people would of done it already??? Why do they sta and complain? (well, aside from contractual issues)

They stay because even though they want wifi, a strong network is even more important! However!!!! It doesnt mean that the wifi argument should just go away! Lets get real! In the world of competition, even verizon has its limit! It may be a better network, but it ain't perfection either! There is a limit!

Point is, in arguing for a feature on a specific carrier, we are in that very essance, saying they are the better carrier already!
    Please read what I said.

The debate about the subject is healthy, it is the the numerous threads about and the pollution of other threads that gets old. Does that make what I am saying clear to you now?

This is main point I am bringing out to you and others
    05-21-09 09:09 PM
    well thats fine but dont blame me for others starting more threads out there...
    05-21-09 09:24 PM
    Cool at least you got 50% of what I am saying. Time to move on.
    05-21-09 09:27 PM
    Is it safe to come out and play yet?
    05-21-09 10:15 PM
    Hey, I started this thread with the simple question: why hasn't Vzn put WiFi on their BB phones? There's a reason for everything, and Vzn knows about WiFi. So far what we know is this:
    1. WiFi's faster than EVDO in many places.
    2. Vzn's network isn't so huge that some people couldn't benefit from a WiFi connection.
    3. BB phones on Vzn could have WiFi if that's what Vzn wanted to go with.
    4. WiFi could adversly affect battery life on a Vzn BB phone.
    What we don't know is this (as pointed out on this thread):
    1. How many current Vzn customers even know about WiFi and cellphones and the potential benefit of having it?
    2. How many cellphone shoppers think that WiFi is important in making their decision as to which phone to use?
    3. Would a significant number of customers reject Vzn based on no WiFi availablility for BB phones?
    I'm in category 3 here, but that's probably not significant. Keep in mind that you have to look about 2-4 years ahead in this market, not 5-10 years like the housing and auto market. That's not a long time. I think WiFi is a technology that's here to stay in the smartphone market. Many posters on this thread disagree with me, I can see that.
    05-21-09 10:30 PM

BB users are an even smaller group. Give it 2 or 3 years to see if those existing customers switch!

Alhough now that vz heard the wifi call (as well as GPS), they might save some customers! VZ Is not stupid, they know there is dissatisfaction out there because of this despite of ur posting....

There would be no change at all if what ur saying was true!

I dont think the mergers play as much a roll as you think they do. Yes it adds on more people but verizon has been grabbing people for a extremely long time.. in my area I dont even recall at&t in existence when primeco turned into verizon... which was the first I heard of verizon as well..

did at&t even have cellphones then?

I mean I can't fully argue about numbers because I don't know them but I know for a fact that a major part of AT&T being so big is because of the whoel cingular thing why do you think so many adds on tv were saying THE new cingular at&t for so long because it was a huge merger probably bigger then any verizon one..
    05-21-09 11:04 PM

and i agree with this +1

also

the reason verizon exists is because of us without us there would be no verizon but without verizon we would all still have cell phones...

so I think we have a bit of a right to speak are mind on certain topics...
    05-21-09 11:06 PM
    and i agree with this +1

the reason verizon exists is because of us without us there would be no verizon but without verizon we would all still have cell phones...

so I think we have a bit of a right to speak are mind on certain topics...
    That's a good quote. My wife and I have 2 phones (Tmob formerly Vzn) and we have 5 kids with their own phone contracts in all different cities (all Vzn). Only one has a BB phone/data plan. They all like Vzn. We bailed because of the Pearl on Tmob and never looked back. We use WiFi a lot, and wouldn't go back to Vzn without it. Our Tmob bill is $150/mo. The 5 kids' combined bill is probably $400. Vzn wins this contest! None of them cares about WiFi and only one has a browser on her Pearl. So in our family Verizon rule$ mainly because the kids used it with us for years before they went on their own and never had reason to switch like we did. One kid wants an iPhone badly and will probably get one when his contract runs out.
    Last edited by thebignewt; 05-22-09 at 12:00 AM.
    05-21-09 11:47 PM
    Hey, I started this thread with the simple question: why hasn't Vzn put WiFi on their BB phones?
    And that was answered - because VZW doesn't make phones and there is no WiFi radio in any CDMA device RIM makes - for any carrier.

The question can be asked a thousand times and the answer will be the same. Until RIM adds WFi to a CDMA BlackBerry, VZW and the other CDMA carriers cannot offer it.

05-22-09 12:38 AM
    And that was answered - because VZW doesn't make phones and there is no WiFi radio in any CDMA device RIM makes - for any carrier.

The question can be asked a thousand times and the answer will be the same. Until RIM adds WFi to a CDMA BlackBerry, VZW and the other CDMA carriers cannot offer it.

information for you that may be interesting .. cx who apparently I believe tested cdma devices with wi-fi (i dont think he directly said this but it seems like he has knowledge on it and that he did) stated that the problem is how much more energy that cdma devices have a tole on the battery and its been kind of a issue..

now I really have no knowledge on this but it seems like the most logical thing as we all know that cdma devices in general definetly do use more battery then gsm devices.
    05-22-09 01:03 AM
    information for you that may be interesting .. cx who apparently I believe tested cdma devices with wi-fi (i dont think he directly said this but it seems like he has knowledge on it and that he did) stated that the problem is how much more energy that cdma devices have a tole on the battery and its been kind of a issue..

now I really have no knowledge on this but it seems like the most logical thing as we all know that cdma devices in general definetly do use more battery then gsm devices.
    i'm inclined to believe this is "if anything else" correct. I remember reading about how CDMA radios use up more juice that GSM.

My only issue is that since WIFI can be turned off, it shouldn't be a problem. Also, once wifi is on, doesn't it shut down 3g? Guess that can offset the battery issue as well?
    05-22-09 07:31 AM
    In reading various threads about WiFi/BB/Vzn the battery life is the only good reason to omit WiFi that comes up. You'd think they could make a little bigger battery and have the best of both worlds with the thing. It can't be that hard to make a battery that's 1-2mm thicker. I had one for my Pearl and it fit into the pouch just fine (not the standard case though), lasted forever.
    05-22-09 03:14 PM
    i'm inclined to believe this is "if anything else" correct. I remember reading about how CDMA radios use up more juice that GSM.

My only issue is that since WIFI can be turned off, it shouldn't be a problem. Also, once wifi is on, doesn't it shut down 3g? Guess that can offset the battery issue as well?

thats fine wi-fi is easy to turn off for your "technical" user..

but if its that bad on the battery bad to the point that it drains the battery so quick that you can use it for a hour or so or whatever rediculous thing it is then is there really a reason to have it at all.

I mean realistically speaking theres not a reason to have it if the device is rendered useless while using it.

I dont know the extent of how bad it is. Apparently they have made improvements so thats why we may finally see it on a RIM device.

keep in mind I have very little knowledge of programming and hardware so I am not aware of the constraints.
    05-22-09 04:19 PM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD