02-01-09 01:00 PM
94 ... 234
tools
    If you'd stop your baseless & repetitive whines, there would be no issue.

Get over it. There is no such thing as 100% coverage, even with WiFi. I have WiFi on my laptop and rarely find an unsecured network anymore. What's more is many states have now made it illegal to tap into a network without prior permissions.

And many of the public WiFi areas cost more than any data plan.

Then there is the battery draw issue.

And you've still not answered the reality that worldwide, there are no CDMA BlackBerry Curves with WiFi, so how could it be a VZW issue?

And you've not explained why any carrier should open up anything that would cost them more than they are charging.

And... Never mind, you'll just continue with your habit of pulling fallacies out of thin air to try to make a nonexistent point.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    first off, I can have whatever opinion I please! It never warrants a personal attack, especially if u dont know me from a hole in the wall! If u want me to answer anything u have to say, show some God @#$% respect. Don't get personal, and then get upset because that person is not answering everything u ask line by line! Respect, and u will be respected. Act like a *****, and thats exactly what u get back! U wanna be a ***** in ur world, u do it and if the ppl around let u get away with it, then good for u! Don't hide behind a computer and waist ur time doing it on here expecting to hurt anyones feelings... its not happinin buddy so check urself!

u can PIN me above if u wanna squash this non sense... if not, then just let it go and RESPECT! I'm not gonna continue this fued with u or anyone else thats trying to join in on ur kiddy parade! I'm done!
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 01-30-09 at 09:06 PM.
    01-30-09 08:55 PM
    Data roaming charges are $0 when you have the global Blackberry data plan for $64.99 while using the data services. Good try though.

Second, Verizon isn't going to eliminate the data plan, they're only enforcing it more ( look at Omnia, Saga, ... )

Third, if you're in an area where EVDO coverage is weak or slow, chances are, you're not near a wi-fi hotspot either.
    I would much rather have WiFi included in the price of my BlackBerry device than attempt to justify not having it by alluding to the possibility of getting cheated out of $64.99/month from Verizon Wireless.

But you are right, Verizon would never consider giving its customers actual options... they want the money, so everyone's forced to get a data plan.

I have actually had numerous experiences where I wasn't receiving my carrier's signal very well, but was at a location that had WiFi support. In my experience, and many others will surely agree, WiFi is generally going to be faster than EVDO... so if I were overseas, I would much rather have fast, FREE WiFi than $64.99/month EVDO. Not a personal attack or anything, but I have been very disappointed with Verizon and now that I have T-Mobile and experience first-hand the benefit of FREE WiFi, I understand the demand for it.
    01-30-09 09:16 PM
    OK - This thread has gotten way out of hand!!

MODERATOR! PLEASE LOCK THIS THREAD. There is no more useful discussions occurring here! It's turned into a cat fight amongst opinions. Please put this to an end...
    01-30-09 10:47 PM
    first off, I can have whatever opinion I please! It never warrants a personal attack, especially if u dont know me from a hole in the wall! If u want me to answer anything u have to say, show some God @#$% respect. Don't get personal, and then get upset because that person is not answering everything u ask line by line! Respect, and u will be respected. Act like a *****, and thats exactly what u get back! U wanna be a ***** in ur world, u do it and if the ppl around let u get away with it, then good for u! Don't hide behind a computer and waist ur time doing it on here expecting to hurt anyones feelings... its not happinin buddy so check urself!

u can PIN me above if u wanna squash this non sense... if not, then just let it go and RESPECT! I'm not gonna continue this fued with u or anyone else thats trying to join in on ur kiddy parade! I'm done!
    I certainly don't desire the respect of your kind and you lost any hope of ever having mine long ago.

You aren't worth talking to and anything you have to say needs to be said in the open for all to laugh at.

01-30-09 10:56 PM
    I would much rather have WiFi included in the price of my BlackBerry device than attempt to justify not having it by alluding to the possibility of getting cheated out of $64.99/month from Verizon Wireless.

But you are right, Verizon would never consider giving its customers actual options... they want the money, so everyone's forced to get a data plan.

I have actually had numerous experiences where I wasn't receiving my carrier's signal very well, but was at a location that had WiFi support. In my experience, and many others will surely agree, WiFi is generally going to be faster than EVDO... so if I were overseas, I would much rather have fast, FREE WiFi than $64.99/month EVDO. Not a personal attack or anything, but I have been very disappointed with Verizon and now that I have T-Mobile and experience first-hand the benefit of FREE WiFi, I understand the demand for it.
    wi-fi is faster for data than EVDO, who cares? I download 70 and 80MB podcasts at a time with my Blackberry and it never takes more than 3 or 4 minutes, big deal. And I gave examples of me, there are only wi-fi hotspots at a McDonalds ( that you have to pay for ), and then at coffee shops, which I am never near.

Wi-fi would be a nice option to have. My thing is, there are _NO_ CDMA Blackberry's that have wi-fi, and RicanMedic and others act like it's Verizon Wireless that is preventing that. How does Verizon make wi-fi unavilable for other CDMA Blackberry's? How is it up to Verizon that Sprint, US Cellular and others don't have wi-fi in their CDMA Blackberry's either? My point is, Verizon doesn't manufacture phones, RIM does. If it was up to the carrier to have wi-fi in their phone, how come no CDMA carrier has a wi-fi Blackberry? Do they all choose not to have it? If so, how is that Verizon Wireless fault?

Also, even though wi-fi is "free", you would still need to pay for a data plan with Verizon Wireless, so it's not like they're losing money if they did have wi-fi enabled Blackberrys.

And, at least you are with Tmo. Rican complains all day about Verizon over charging and holding his GPS ransom, yet he still uses them. It's laughable.
    01-31-09 10:45 AM
    But like I said, I dont care about that subject too much. My gripe is more with GPS and forced data plans rather than whether a verizon BB has wifi or not.
    thats what I remember saying twice already!! I wouldn't be surprised if u had the verizon logo tattoo'd 2 ur @$$ with the way u and a few others r whining about my comments. There's no reason so get so excited over this! This was my thought on the subject and I told u, I didnt care much about this wifi issue as I do about forced data and locked GPS. Theres where my true frustrations lie with verizon at the moment! I love their CS, I love the network, I hate the practices throughout the years like this! Thats the bottom line! If u like my opinion, agree, if u don't, disagree keep insults to urself unless u have something productive to say!

That last part is not directed at the poster above...
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 01-31-09 at 12:23 PM.
    01-31-09 12:12 PM
    And, at least you are with Tmo. Rican complains all day about Verizon over charging and holding his GPS ransom, yet he still uses them. It's laughable.
    And this isn't a case of defending VZW. Rather, it is a case of logic, reason & intelligence.

Of course, those with an axe to grind often don't employ these traits in their arguments.

Then again, maybe I should go yell at my local dealer because I can't buy a RWD Honda car with a V8. Never mind the fact Honda doesn't make a RWD V8 vehicle.

01-31-09 12:13 PM
    My thing is, there are _NO_ CDMA Blackberry's that have wi-fi, and RicanMedic and others act like it's Verizon Wireless that is preventing that. How does Verizon make wi-fi unavilable for other CDMA Blackberry's? How is it up to Verizon that Sprint, US Cellular and others don't have wi-fi in their CDMA Blackberry's either? My point is, Verizon doesn't manufacture phones, RIM does. If it was up to the carrier to have wi-fi in their phone, how come no CDMA carrier has a wi-fi Blackberry? Do they all choose not to have it? If so, how is that Verizon Wireless fault
    Are you familiar with the SDLC that I referred to in a previous post? Give it a quick lookup in Wikipedia - but, essentially, its a development lifecycle of a product, be it software, computers, or cellphones.

As I mentioned in the previous thread, part of the SDLC includes requirements gathering. In this phase, I don't think RIM would work within the confines of their own building or a single carrier. I would expect them to go out and work with the big carriers to 'see what they want.' IT IS POSSIBLE that Verizon happened to say they have no need for WiFi on their phones - for whatever reason.

My problem with your opinions, Scurv and TWIN, is you continue to point to current market for a behind-closed-door process. While there are a number of assumptions one can make about why all CDMA phones don't have WiFi and all 3G phones DO have WiFi and what not... but, you are walking into a fallacy that your assumptions are correct. You may be right in your assumptions - but, you may also be just unaware of product development practices that goes into creating and marketing a product.
    01-31-09 12:25 PM
    Then again, maybe I should go yell at my local dealer because I can't buy a RWD Honda car with a V8. Never mind the fact Honda doesn't make a RWD V8 vehicle.

haha! That's a REALLY bad analogy!
    01-31-09 12:28 PM
    Is it that big of a deal. Some would enjoy the WiFi and some dont care, no need to argue over it everyone has there own opinion.
    01-31-09 12:35 PM
    I'm assuming they think people won't buy data plans or something sketcy like that.
    01-31-09 01:46 PM
    Seeming that VZW requires data plans, I do not think that is a concern. Also once again to beat a dead horse, no CDMA carriers have WI-FI
    01-31-09 01:50 PM
    haha! That's a REALLY bad analogy!
    Wait! How is it bad?

VZW sells Blacberrys that RIM makes. Yelling at VZW for not having something when RIM doesn't make it is the same as me yelling at my local dealer for not selling me something Honda doesn't make.

Manufacturer & seller. The seller cannot sell what the manufacturer does not make.

As for the product planning issue, yes RIM would probably determine what carriers want, then go from there. BUT so would Samsung, HTC, Moto, etc. If VZW were dictating no WiFi on their handsets, why do they sell Samsung, HTC & Moto devices with WiFi?

The WiFi radio in the WinMo devices is software dependent. If VZW dictated no WiFi, and the manufacturer still built it in, VZW could simply disable the WiFi the same way some say they disable the GPS functions. Or they could choose to not sell the device. But they don't and they do sell WinMo devices with fully functional WiFi radios.

Now, I could see a carrier putting down that WiFi is not important, or a secondary issue. In other words, we'll take it even if it doesn't have WiFi. This may have played into RIM's product planning, but it wouldn't explain why the GSM side doesn't have both GPS & WiFi. What it could explain is why the CDMA devices are all GPS & none are WiFi.

Pretty simple stuff. RIM says, "Curve with WiFi or GPS?" VZW says GPS. RIM then may choose to save costs & only make GPS units OR the other CDMA carriers also opted for GPS.

Regardless of any possibilities during the planning, no one has come up with a valid reason to pick on VZW for Curves with GPS but no WiFi when no other carrier offers both.

01-31-09 03:06 PM
    ALL: Please keep the thread on topic and respectful. PM's have been sent to those who needed them. Everyone needs to remember the Posting Guidelines. They're linked in my sig if anyone needs a refresher.

I'm going to leave the thread open since there are new posters asking questions, but if the fighting continues, I'll close it.
    01-31-09 03:13 PM
    Thank you jeff
    01-31-09 03:33 PM
    Wait! How is it bad?

VZW sells Blacberrys that RIM makes. Yelling at VZW for not having something when RIM doesn't make it is the same as me yelling at my local dealer for not selling me something Honda doesn't make.

Manufacturer & seller. The seller cannot sell what the manufacturer does not make.
    I don't think it's that easy. I see what you are saying, but, that analogy isn't quite accurate. Quite frankly, the dealers don't have any say in what Honda is going to make - with the exception of maybe sales figures of different models. That's it! Honda isn't going to go to each dealer and ask them - "what features do you want in your cars?" And, if the dealer doesn't have a car with the right features that the buyer wants...guess what happens? The dealer orders a car directly from the manufacturer with a very specific feature set. This is how I bought my Jeep some years ago. It actually came from Toledo, Ohio with my name on the manufacturer's window sticker.

Plus, there's alot more dealers in the world than there are manufacturers. The list of phone manufacturers is growing each day - Carriers is getting smaller and smaller as the big guys gobble up the smaller guys. Therefore, manufacturers have to be mode cognizant about what makes sense - and, typically, that means working closer with the individual carriers, or at least, the carrier that's going to buy the most phones, in this case, Verizon, most likely.

I can't answer why no other CDMA carriers have a BB w/o WiFi when other non-CDMA carriers do...I'll admit this is odd, but, I think there's more to it.
    Last edited by ksat; 02-01-09 at 07:54 AM.
    02-01-09 07:46 AM
    i do admit that no wifi on cdma blackberries is an issue that may relieve some of the blame off verizon's shoulders, souly.

But ethier way, this just goes to show that when verizon practices things a certain way, many will just always assume the worst because of their rep. And with verizon, they've already developed that of being penny pinchers, despite their good rep in other areas...

Now whether that affects their bottom line, who knows. That's for them to know, and us... not. But u know, greed is a funny thing. Look at the economy as it is today. Companies are falling and even when they get bailed out, it seems like their in it for themselves in the end splurgin and almost helping their companies go under! I don't think their doing it on purpose. I think greed has made it where its almost as if the company doesnt matter anymore and its really the lifestyle these "CEOs" have that they're trying to protect.

So as I was saying with verizon, I wouldn't be surprised if one day a company like verizon gets greedy enough where it push them over that edge and the company flops because of it. Then CEOs get hug pay offs, ride off into the sunset, and its history...

kinda gives me the image of the titanic going under and yet, seeing the CEOs of the company standing at the high end of the boat with all their billions in their hands and watching it all go down. Yet, still with a smile on their face as the enitre ship falls to the water.
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 02-01-09 at 11:44 AM.
    02-01-09 11:40 AM
    I've been asking this question for some time now on different boards, i.e. why no WiFi on BB phones on CDMA carriers? Since no CDMA BB phones have WiFi, and yet those carriers sell other phones with WiFi, it would seem logical there is a technical reason for the lack of BB-CDMA-WiFi.

A previous poster said he had heard there is some sort of interference between WiFi and the Qualcomm chips RIM uses for CDMA phones, but was unsure if this was indeed the case.

Even if there is an interference problem with past phones, maybe the problem has been or can be solved.

It would be nice if a person with real knowledge at RIM, Sprint, Verizon, etc., would just come out and say if this is an unsolvable technical problem or not.

I'd really be interested in hearing from a knowledgeable engineer (or anyone with real knowledge)on this subject!
    02-01-09 12:40 PM
    just just remember one thing.. even though there are other CDMA phones with wifi, BB's are the only ones that have REQUIRED a data plan. The others are only catching up now to that rule. So that can or may also factor in to that as well...

but I highly doubt there's a technical "engineering" reason for it. I think its more cost than anything else. Especially with the data requirement rule already established.
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 02-01-09 at 01:05 PM.
    02-01-09 01:00 PM
94 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD