ive got alot of different answers on the subject of vzw new 4G network, from my understanding LTE is a GSM standard so this would mean vzw will be switching to a GSM network in the coming years. can anyone set the record straight and possibly give some pros and cons to the LTE system vs the cdma 4G network which is i beleive HTM or something along the lines of that???
    06-11-08 08:46 AM
    Here's a recent post pointing to a great article outlining the upcoming GSM based LTE 4G technology. The key is the transition. In the USA the GSM based carriers are certainly going to get a smoother ride.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f49/lte...hnology-42400/
    06-11-08 09:07 AM
    LTE is not the "GSM" standard. It's an entirely different technology altogether. There is no "official" GSM 4G technology, nor is there an "official" CDMA 4G technology. Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, and Alltel (before being purchased by Verizon) had all committed to LTE for their 4G technology. Sprint committed to WiMAX, if that's what you're referring to. Qualcomm tried to develop a 4G technology FOR current CDMA carriers, but they've pretty much had karma bite them in the *** for making things difficult on CDMA in the past, as no major carrier has chosen their technology.
    06-11-08 09:21 AM
    so dose this mean vzw will use cdma and gsm service when they start their LTE network?????
    06-11-08 11:34 AM
    Not really. From what I understand CDMA will be a thing of the past. The major networks less Sprint will be on LTE and it will probably be the worldwide standard. Verizon phones will be "GSM" in that they will have SIM cards.
    06-11-08 11:49 AM
    Wikipedia is your friend.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-11-08 02:26 PM
    this will be an exciting transition... will be nice..
    06-11-08 03:23 PM
    this will be an exciting transition... will be nice..
    lets all hope so... I was with ATT when they went to GSM, I was also with them when cingular bought them out. The transition was a pain in the ***! You HAD to get a new phone, and customer service was the worst ive ever seen, just to point out 2 things
    06-11-08 06:59 PM
    LTE is not the "GSM" standard. It's an entirely different technology altogether. There is no "official" GSM 4G technology, nor is there an "official" CDMA 4G technology. Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, and Alltel (before being purchased by Verizon) had all committed to LTE for their 4G technology. Sprint committed to WiMAX, if that's what you're referring to. Qualcomm tried to develop a 4G technology FOR current CDMA carriers, but they've pretty much had karma bite them in the *** for making things difficult on CDMA in the past, as no major carrier has chosen their technology.
    Where are you getting your info from? Virtually everything I've read about LTE says that it's backwardly compatible with current GSM phones.

I'm not arguing, just wondering why you know something that nobody else seems to know.
    06-12-08 01:41 AM
    It is backwards compatible, but from what I understand its a new technology altogether. I believe it is the natural evolution of GSM but a new network type altogether. If you look at at&t's phones, for instance, you'll see that their 2G and 3G phones are GSM, as were their 1st gen phones. These are "GSM" backward compatible, which suggests it is different than GSM.
    06-12-08 10:02 AM
    will a BB world addittion (ie 8800 or the thunder) be able to work with the transition since they are gsm compatible
    06-12-08 11:53 AM
    Don't know about the Thunder but the 8800 doesn't have the US frequencies in it.
    06-12-08 12:08 PM
    It is backwards compatible, but from what I understand its a new technology altogether. I believe it is the natural evolution of GSM but a new network type altogether. If you look at at&t's phones, for instance, you'll see that their 2G and 3G phones are GSM, as were their 1st gen phones. These are "GSM" backward compatible, which suggests it is different than GSM.
    Sounds about right.

Regarding Verizon, I think their LTE will be on 700mHz so even their "world phones" with GSM can't use it. Basically, if you're on Verizon and want LTE, you'll have to buy a new phone. Qualcomm is developing a CDMA+LTE chipset though but it won't be ready until next year.

I would expect that Verizon will run parallel networks for a while until LTE is fully built out and they have a good supply of devices that can use it. There's bound to be some bumps in the transition though. Anybody remember analog to digital? That was fun ("hey, my old phone used to work here...").
    06-12-08 12:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD