Not that this is a big deal, I am just curious why GSM carriers identify what network they are on and CDMA carriers don't.

Yes, I know it says under network connections
    12-05-09 06:53 PM
    You mean the EDGE designation, as compared to 3G under the newer OS 5.0 builds? Prior to the 3G badge CDMA carriers used notation like "1XEV" (VZW) to designate their 3G network. Variations of that notation indicated the network data network you were using. Probably in an effort to cut down on customer confusion they've moved to the 3G notation (likely reducing the number of calls from people asking "why am I not on a 3G network!"). It's more of a standardization than anything else IMO.
    12-05-09 07:01 PM
    Display of service type (and anything else in the banner) is all set by the theme - either the default theme shipped with the software, or the alternate selected by the user.

If you mean network as "Service Provider" then the info is redundant on a CDMA because they very rarely roam - for practical purposes CDMA only exists in USA where you would expect to be on home network anyway. On a GSM device roaming is more likely with international travel so users like to know which network they are using. It can be a big cost factor for the guy near a home/roaming jump point and gets locked onto the wrong tower.
    12-05-09 07:15 PM
    I wish my BB said 3G instead of 1XEV lol

but I was actually talking about the Service Provider, thanks Branta, you can close this if you want, but real quick, is that a software based thing or is that judged by the network?
    12-05-09 08:39 PM
    FWIW, my Storm2 does say 3G and has the BB logo after it.
    The only other time I've ever seen it was when I was using my Storm1 in Italy earlier this year.

Rich
    12-05-09 09:00 PM

but I was actually talking about the Service Provider, thanks Branta, you can close this if you want, but real quick, is that a software based thing or is that judged by the network?
    5.0 does this
    12-05-09 10:35 PM
    Not on an Alltel 8330

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-06-09 12:03 AM

Display of Network Name is controlled by Theme, so display is software - but you get the name exactly as transmitted by the network. Have a look at other themes already installed on your phone and you might see a difference. Otherwise you can try downloading a few from our theme forums and see if there's anything works better. If you really want to push the boat out, download the theme crator software and roll your own!

I don't think themes can control "3G" or "1XEV", but they mean the same thing. This is likely to be a value returned by the OS so it could change with future software upgrades. If you really want "3G" all the time you could always switch to AT&T - and I'm going to run like h*ll after that suggestion
    12-06-09 05:43 AM
    yeah, im playing with the Theme Builder, still learning

and haha at that suggestion, yeah, nothing can make me go back to AT&T, their lack of a decent 3G network, is pretty much a deal-breaker, plus other BS

oh and yeah, I know 1XEV means 3G, I am a geek, lol
    12-06-09 12:28 PM
    I have a Bold 9650 that has: 3G and the Blackberry Logo instead of the 1XEV on both the Verizon Zen theme and the Precision Zen theme. I am interested in this because I actually prefer it over the other?

DJ
    11-08-10 07:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD