06-16-09 09:12 AM
81 123 ...
tools
    I searched the forums and was not successful in finding an answer to this question.

Why doesn't Verizon offer earlier night minutes?

From what I understand, TMobile and Sprint offer night minutes starting at 7pm (whether it's free or whether there's a charge), but Verizon doesn't seem to be leaning toward offering it.

Has anyone heard of any VZW talks to offer this feature in the future?....even for "VIP" customers? LOL!
    06-11-09 12:36 PM
    No clue but I am sure someone will help.
    06-11-09 12:37 PM
    The Nationwide plan was just introduced a few months ago with unlimited nights (starting at 9:01PM) and weekends, so I doubt they're looking at introducing any changes to that in the immediate future, but that's just my opinion.

Enter your location

If I had to take a *guess* at why, and that's all I can do because I don't work for Verizon, I'd say their grand plan is to encourage folks to encourage their friends and family members to switch to VZW so that we can take advantage of the VZW mobile-to-mobile calling feature. But again, this is just my opinion.
    06-11-09 01:09 PM
    as a sales rep my opinion is that with verizon having the largest network and the most subscribers, we just have the mobile to mobile, I don't belive we will have the 7pm nights plan anytime soon as most carriers charge extra for this
    06-11-09 01:15 PM
    The night/weekend timeframe is based on network load & is designed to cover times when the network is underutilized. Competitive pressure also plays into the decision.

Since VZW's major competitor - AT&T - starts @ 9PM & runs to 5:59AM, there isn't much in the way of competitive reasons to go earlier.

If you could see network load stats, Sprint & T-Mobile drop off 2-3 hours before AT&T & VZW.

As a side note on competitive pressures, VZW isn't losing customers. Sprint & T-Mobile are, for reasons we don't need to go into in this space. Because of this, there is less incentive for VZW (or AT&T) to offer more for less.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-11-09 01:38 PM
    The Nationwide plan was just introduced a few months ago with unlimited nights (starting at 9:01PM) and weekends, so I doubt they're looking at introducing any changes to that in the immediate future, but that's just my opinion.
    You must mean Friends & Family - the nationwide plans have been around since the dawn of the century.

06-11-09 01:41 PM
    when i worked for VZW taking escalation calls a lot of people asked this question. i forget the exact verbiage, but basically it was a marketing inquiry into phone usage. the cost/value measurement of the plans, ARPU and other things...the amount of usage between 7 and 9 vs. the amount of plan rate increase wasn't worth it for customers in user polls. basically the plan cost increase to give you the two extra hours wasn't worth the money according to customers. from my personal experience evaluating people's usage, that two hours every day didn't accumulate very much. i'd have people dispute overages and say "if i had free calling after 7pm i wouldn't have gone over"...we break down the minutes, and count how much airtime is used in that period, subtract IN calling and all that (this was before the friends & family stuff) and they're still over their minutes. each carrier has their own "gimmick" or sales pitch that is a unique benefit. sprint has earlier night time mins, ATT has rollover, VZW has largest m2m network available...etc. just one more thing you gotta consider when you evaluate your service when your contract is up.
    06-11-09 01:49 PM
    I really don't think any of this matters now that Friends and Family is in the discussion. 5 to 10 numbers you can call unlimited is an amazing perk.
    06-11-09 01:53 PM
    The night/weekend timeframe is based on network load & is designed to cover times when the network is underutilized. Competitive pressure also plays into the decision.

Since VZW's major competitor - AT&T - starts @ 9PM & runs to 5:59AM, there isn't much in the way of competitive reasons to go earlier.

I guess that makes sense.

My issue is that I used to live on the east coast on ET, and now I live in the south and am on on CT so now that I'm an hour behind all of my friends and family back home, I don't like having to call them at 10:01pm and later because that is inconsiderate. And God forbid if I'm low on my minutes and need to talk to my mom or my BFF!

Bummer...............
    06-11-09 01:56 PM
    my BFF has VZW. if your BFF loved you they'd get VZW also
    06-11-09 02:12 PM
    Of course we all know it is an evil plot to get you to sign up for more minutes so you qualify for F&F. That way VZW knows who you hang out with & can market to them, making this whole discussion moot.

06-11-09 02:25 PM
    Of course we all know it is an evil plot to get you to sign up for more minutes so you qualify for F&F. That way VZW knows who you hang out with & can market to them, making this whole discussion moot.

oh lord
    06-11-09 02:27 PM
    oh lord
    ***giggles***
    06-11-09 02:30 PM
    my BFF has VZW. if your BFF loved you they'd get VZW also

Tried that........LOL!
    06-11-09 02:31 PM
    You must mean Friends & Family - the nationwide plans have been around since the dawn of the century.

I believe the old plan name was called "America's Choice Family Share."
    Yes, the plan which includes the new "Friends and Family" options is the "Nationwide Family Share."
    Yes, both plans include nationwide coverage.

No (to the OP), neither plan provides special consideration for family members living in different time zones. I wish it did as well.
    06-11-09 02:32 PM
    Tried that........LOL!
    me and my BFF will be your new BFF. go tweet that patches and deadpool are your new BFF and you disown the previous one until they get teh netwurkz
    06-11-09 03:07 PM
    me and my BFF will be your new BFF. go tweet that patches and deadpool are your new BFF and you disown the previous one until they get teh netwurkz

HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!

She won't go for it though. Her BB is paid for by her employer and she has to go with whatever network they tell her to go with.

What more could you want for free? LOL!
    06-11-09 03:11 PM
    tell her, "you get what you pay for" if you wanna BFF you're gonna have to cough up. or find one that's more convenient to talk to. btw i've ignored the "family" comment because i don't condone open communication with family members. no good can come from it
    06-11-09 03:24 PM
    tell her, "you get what you pay for" if you wanna BFF you're gonna have to cough up. or find one that's more convenient to talk to. btw i've ignored the "family" comment because i don't condone open communication with family members. no good can come from it

Oh Lawd!!!!! LOL!

....but I love my Mami and my Nana........... LOL!
    06-11-09 03:29 PM
    they love you too. but they're all trouble makers! i promise you.
    06-11-09 03:31 PM
    Before my wife and I got married, she was going to Long Beach State. She was a good hour a way and I was on AT&T. Our bills were rediculously high, so I got a basic VZ cell phone just for her. We saved 1000s of dollars in the long run because of it.

Now everyone I know is on VZ so I still keep the 450 plan with data and NEVER go over my minutes! Which is why I won't go to the Iphone.
    06-11-09 03:43 PM
    Before my wife and I got married, she was going to Long Beach State. She was a good hour a way and I was on AT&T. Our bills were rediculously high, so I got a basic VZ cell phone just for her. We saved 1000s of dollars in the long run because of it.

Now everyone I know is on VZ so I still keep the 450 plan with data and NEVER go over my minutes! Which is why I won't go to the Iphone.
    quoted for truth and similar experiences.

i've never had overages. only when i got a GF with another carrier was it ever an issue...

now txt messages...i used to have that mobile I.M. client that used sms way back in the day...i blew that 250msg plan up!!! didn't take long to bump that one up.
    06-11-09 03:45 PM
    The Nationwide plan was just introduced a few months ago
    What rock have you beel living under I have had the Nationwide Select plan for year.
    06-11-09 05:08 PM
    I think the Nationwide plans came out about 18 months ago..

06-11-09 05:16 PM
    well they came out november 2007 i believe. that's when the unlimited plan came out anyway, they were right before that i think
    06-11-09 05:18 PM
81 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD