07-04-10 05:02 PM
40 12
tools
    Vzw dropped the incredible, sprint dropped the EVO. By the time we get our droid X, galaxy S there will be something better on another network. Same goes for BB, 9700 came out first then we get 9650.

You would think with the amount of customers, atleast in my area we would be first on alot of top phones.
    06-30-10 01:59 PM
    Well, they're still doing SOMETHING right to be the top carrier. Might be it's the high rate of turnover that does it for them, making upgrades come sooner. I got a call just the other day, less than a year into my contract, to get a free phone upgrade by adding another 2 years to my contract. Always a carrot...
    06-30-10 02:14 PM
    Verizon is a CDMA carrier and on the world stage, CDMA is a minority sport.

This means that fewer phones are immediately availabe for CDMA as they are initially built for the dominate GSM network.

When the whole planet goes to LTE, then we should see more phones that work worldwide.
    06-30-10 02:39 PM
    Verizon is a CDMA carrier and on the world stage, CDMA is a minority sport.

This means that fewer phones are immediately availabe for CDMA as they are initially built for the dominate GSM network.

When the whole planet goes to LTE, then we should see more phones that work worldwide.
    Thats true across networks/carriers but sprint should have never got the evo while we got incredible
    06-30-10 05:04 PM
    Who cares what carrier gets the "best" phones first? Why does this even matter?
    06-30-10 05:06 PM
    I agree. The main concern should be the network.
    06-30-10 06:26 PM
    Thats true across networks/carriers but sprint should have never got the evo while we got incredible
    sorry but id rather have the incredible then the evo. IMO a 4"+ screen is stupid and way to big. and the battery life of the inc. from my real life comparo has been better than the evo
    06-30-10 07:41 PM
    They haven't dropped the Incredible, they just can't keep it in stock.
    06-30-10 08:45 PM
    Vzw dropped the incredible, sprint dropped the EVO. By the time we get our droid X, galaxy S there will be something better on another network. Same goes for BB, 9700 came out first then we get 9650.

You would think with the amount of customers, atleast in my area we would be first on alot of top phones.
    Ummmm think again myfriend. The X is no slouch rates for the most part better than the EVO. The only thing the EVO has on the X is the front facing camera and the kickstand. As far as the Galaxy S I will give the edge to the X
    because of the benchmark tests on the processer. Video test the X does
    55.7 fps where as the X does 60fps.
    Also by the end of the year rumors of the Droid Pro2 sporting a dual core 2ghz processer along with that gyro thingie, and probably a front facing camera and a keyboard............
    I have been doing some research because for a while there I was considering the Galaxy/S which will be called the Fascinate on VZ.
    Also they didn't throw in the Galaxy/S but the X comes in second to the iphone 4 in display quality. But it produces better colors than the iphone.
    The grass looks greener on the other side.
    But my friend I will be going with the X......
    07-02-10 09:42 AM
    N I can tell you that the only thing that will rival the X will be something from Moto
    07-02-10 09:43 AM
    I disagree. When the Storm1 9530 came out in 2008 it was the hottest non-iPhone on the market. GSM carriers still don't have a touchscreen berry!

The biggest phone of Spring 09 was the Pre and that came out on CDMA Sprint.

The biggest Droid phone to date was also released on Verizon...VZW had very, very little 18 months ago but they've really improved their smartphone lineup.
    07-02-10 10:18 AM
    Agreed, it's very impressive what Verizon has coming out. Once upon a time their phone selection sucked, but they released the Droid and Droid Eris last year, this year the incredible, the bold 9650 for those still wanting a blackberry, the droid x coming, the droid 2 coming.

Honestly I almost think they are releasing too many nice phones in a short period of time. I don't know whether to get a droid x this summer or wait till the holiday season for the 'rumored' droid pro or whatever the dual core phone will be called.

I mean really, short of not having the iPhone or the Evo.. what phones do other carriers have over VZW?
    07-02-10 11:28 AM
    Just to add my opinion- I first got a blackberry for personal use once the 8830 came out on Verizon. I had used other blackberrys for work related things but never liked the bulk of the phones. Once the 8830 came out I got one for my personal use. Since then stuff that has come out and I wanted but verizon never got or will get-
    Blackerry Tour 9000
    Blackberry Curve 8900
    Blackberry Bold 9700

I would have purchased each of these phones either on an upgrade or full retail

I upgraded to a curve 8330 the day it came out, approximatly 1 1/2 years after the phone was initially released on ATT. And most recently got a Bold 9650.

I am hoping with this LTE network that a company like blackberry can make one device and just change the branding/colors etc and ensure that a device like say the 9700 is available on all networks using LTE. (Hopefully?)

So from that point of view I agree with the OP
    07-02-10 01:28 PM
    IF rumors are to be believed (and there probably is SOME truth here) Verizon is set to roll out an LTE network in limited markets THIS fall, with phones to follow soon, possibly as soon as black Friday, worst case VERY early 2011. At least that is what they are saying. When that happens Verizon will be leading the way in cutting edge phones.

DISCLAIMER : I HAVE NO INSIDE KNOWLEDGE!!!!! This is just what is being reported and rumored in the blogsphere!
    07-02-10 01:28 PM
    The OP is right from the perspective of a BB user. VZW failed users on both the Storm1 and Tour, and has been far behind other carriers in new BB products except for the touchscreens. But as a whole, when I bought my Storm1 it was either that or the 8330. Literally no other smartphone options, and that has changed for the better.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-02-10 01:46 PM

These threads always make me laugh. Really the only phone verizon doesn't have is the iphone. With the way new Droids are coming out, Verizon will have the best for a day then it gets replaced. The whole playing field will be leveled and true comparisons made when the world goes LTE.

07-02-10 06:02 PM
    These threads always make me laugh. Really the only phone verizon doesn't have is the iphone. With the way new Droids are coming out, Verizon will have the best for a day then it gets replaced. The whole playing field will be leveled and true comparisons made when the world goes LTE.

I'm not saying verizon don't have good phones or the X will not be as good as the evo, problem is we never get them FIRST. By the time the X drops something better will be on another network.
    07-02-10 07:03 PM
    Again I will ask, what difference does it make who gets them FIRST?? Who cares??
    07-02-10 07:08 PM
    As much as I love my Storm 2, I'm pretty excited about the X. I just found a comparison of the X to various other devices and it looks pretty good. I could care less about relatively minor differences in screen resolution (and this coming from a professional photographer who is seriously concerned about these kinds of things) as I doubt, unless you're doing a side-by-side comparison, there will be any discernable difference. If this was my primary display, it might be a different matter, but it's a PHONE..and a device of convenience and nothing more. I recently did a fairly critical, side-by-side comparison of the Incredible's display vs. mine and only because I was looking very hard, with both devices showing the exact same photographs, was I able to tell the difference. Subtle tones were more noticable in the Incredible, but reds and oranges were over-saturated. In the end, I liked my S2 display just fine.

To the OP, I do believe that VZW has not dropped the Incredible, they're just backordered.

Finally, I am not a huge fan of the Android UI, but I plan to spend a few days with an Incredible next week and I'll have time to get used to it before passing final judgement. Front facing camera is irrelevant to me and, as your reference to the Pro2 shows, anything you get today will be outdated before you get out the door with it, so it really doesn't matter. Core 2 processor? Wow...who'd have thought. Then again, not sure I'd "need" that either. It's a PHONE, not my main computer!

Ummmm think again myfriend. The X is no slouch rates for the most part better than the EVO. The only thing the EVO has on the X is the front facing camera and the kickstand. As far as the Galaxy S I will give the edge to the X
    because of the benchmark tests on the processer. Video test the X does
    55.7 fps where as the X does 60fps.
    Also by the end of the year rumors of the Droid Pro2 sporting a dual core 2ghz processer along with that gyro thingie, and probably a front facing camera and a keyboard............
    I have been doing some research because for a while there I was considering the Galaxy/S which will be called the Fascinate on VZ.
    Also they didn't throw in the Galaxy/S but the X comes in second to the iphone 4 in display quality. But it produces better colors than the iphone.
    The grass looks greener on the other side.
    But my friend I will be going with the X......
    07-02-10 07:15 PM
    IF rumors are to be believed (and there probably is SOME truth here) Verizon is set to roll out an LTE network in limited markets THIS fall, with phones to follow soon, possibly as soon as black Friday, worst case VERY early 2011. At least that is what they are saying. When that happens Verizon will be leading the way in cutting edge phones.
    Verizon has repeatedly stated that 25-30 markets will roll-out before the end of this year, and they have said the first devices will be USB dongles. Since these recent reports of 11/15 and Black Friday have surfaced, Verizon reps have re-iterated that they expect 3-5 LTE handsets by mid-next-year.

I hope, however, they have more tricks up their sleeves and we'll see at least ONE LTE phone this year
    07-02-10 09:13 PM
    I'm not saying verizon don't have good phones or the X will not be as good as the evo, problem is we never get them FIRST. By the time the X drops something better will be on another network.
    OK ... Verizon got the Storm first (and still is the only American carrier to have it), Verizon got the Pre Plus and Pixi Plus first, got the Incredible first, got the Droid first ... I guess I'm trying to figure out, what do you think they're not getting first? Like, what's your beef here? I think they do get phones first, just not the ones YOU want.
    07-02-10 09:15 PM
    Sounds to me like he just wants to whine. Eric, you made your points rather well, but that does not appear to be good enough. To the OP, if you don't think VZW is getting enough devices "first" than why not just hop over to AT&T or some other crappy carrier and then you can have more "firsts" (but you'll just have to overlook the fact that they're on crappy carriers). Hey, if you move fast enough, you can grab one of those great, "FIRST" Jesus Phones over at AT&T.
    07-02-10 09:43 PM
    Was the original Moto Droid not "the best" Android phone when it was released?

Was the Incredible not "the best" Android phone when it was released?

Do any other networks carry touch screen BlackBerry's?

I could go on about the Pre Plus and Pixi Plus... And Windows Mobile phones, but I won't...

This complaint about Verizon not getting good phones was a legitimate complaint a year and a half ago... But not anymore...

Like someone else mentioned, Android is growing at such a rapid pace that the "best" phones are lucky if they remain the "best" for three months. October-Hero, November-Moto Droid, January-Nexus One, April-Incredible, June-EVO...

Just be happy you're not on AT&T... They get the iPhone first... Nothing more...
    Last edited by R.O.C.; 07-03-10 at 12:27 AM.
    07-03-10 12:22 AM
    Again I will ask, what difference does it make who gets them FIRST?? Who cares??
    Some of us like to have the newest and greatest and it sucks when other carriers have something and you don't.

To the poster who posted the droid, yes that was a hit but since then other carriers got things alot better.

And the storm? if you want a touch screen it makes to sense to buy a BB because most people use a BB for the keypads and once you take that away BB really sucks compared to other touch screens out there.
    07-03-10 09:38 AM
    Some of us like to have the newest and greatest and it sucks when other carriers have something and you don't.

To the poster who posted the droid, yes that was a hit but since then other carriers got things alot better.

And the storm? if you want a touch screen it makes to sense to buy a BB because most people use a BB for the keypads and once you take that away BB really sucks compared to other touch screens out there.
    Well also...in the smartphone world it takes more than just a couple weeks...VZW did get a Bold (named Tour) but not until a year after ATT released theirs.
    07-03-10 11:10 AM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD