I guess that is just another way to make more money, but come on, shouldn't AIM or yahoo messengers could as data plan and not text messages.

I am trying to save money by getting the 500messages for $5, but you it probably lasted one or two conversations under AIM chat.

what do your guys have on your messages side?
    06-21-09 06:04 AM
    i use AIM all the time and I don't have unlimited text. They do not count it as such. No problems here.
    06-21-09 06:23 AM
    They do count them as data

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-21-09 08:45 AM
    If it came on your Blackberry or you downloaded it via app world, it counts as data. If you downloaded it from aim.com or aol.com then it's text.
    06-21-09 09:56 AM
    I actually looked this up in our info manager and found that it does use sms.
    Now I dont exactly know about the app from AppWorld. However, according to my sources; text messaging has to be activated and it is billed as sms.
    Downloading Application: Data applies

Send/Recieve: per messaging bundle, Blackberry Calling Plan w/ unlimited messaging, or pay as you go.

Contact list refresh: no charge

Other admin transactions: ((Add/remove/accept/deny/ignore contact,Add/remove/block/get block list, Set/remove alert,Update presence,Subscribe to list, Move list member
    Check for upgrade, Device Registration)): per message bundle or pay as you go.
    06-21-09 10:57 AM
    Delete it and go to mobile.blackberry.com and dl the aim app there. Then take note of how many texts you have already used. Send out some test aim messages and then check your texts to see if the number went up. I use yahoo and it counts as data. I got the app from bb.com instead of verizon. Aim should be the same way.

06-21-09 11:27 AM
    I use an awesome program called BeeJive IM for all my instant messaging, and it runs through the data side of the network. One time 20 dollar cost for a perm. license, and it works like a dream. Supports AIM, Yahoo, MySpaceIM, ICQ, MSN Live, GChat, everything.
    06-21-09 11:30 AM
    Doh! I forgot about beejive.

06-21-09 11:36 AM
    Aim runs on data. I only have 500 SMS messages a month on my plan and never use any of it. If you have aim messages forwarded to your phone and respond to those text messages it'll count as SMS

06-21-09 11:57 AM
    I think it mostly applies to "dumbphones" without data plan. That way all these kids that are in the messaging craze can send IM's without having a data plan. Makes good sense really...
    06-22-09 01:28 AM
    yes on blackberry's the rim clients use your data package so aim/yahoo/msn/gtalk/icq all use date

on dumb phones they count as text messages
    06-22-09 01:39 AM
    I think it mostly applies to "dumbphones" without data plan. That way all these kids that are in the messaging craze can send IM's without having a data plan. Makes good sense really...

Oops I couldnt see that he wasnt using a blackberry when I was browsing from my phone. My solution is useless here.
    06-22-09 10:02 AM
    yes on blackberry's the rim clients use your data package so aim/yahoo/msn/gtalk/icq all use date

on dumb phones they count as text messages
    Are we 100% positive on this? That would make the most sense but I have noticed that verizon likes to work you over as much as possible.
    06-23-09 12:09 AM
    On "dumbphones", AIM counts as text messages because that's the technology used to transmit them.

On blackberries, the internet is used.
    06-23-09 12:53 AM
    It isn't VZW that charges you for AIM - if you have a version of AIM that processes IMs as text, you get charged for text

If this is happening to you, you have the wrong version of AIM. AOL and other IM clients came up with various processing capabilities for those without data plans, so users wouldn't get hammered with alacarte data fees or not being able to use their adware because some have data blocked.

Get the correct versions.

06-23-09 01:01 AM
    Not only dumbphones, but smartphones without data packages, as well.

06-23-09 01:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD