08-11-09 08:24 AM
55 123
tools
    Why do u think people say that Verizon sucks and such things like that? I think its the best cellular company in USA...not just because i work for them but because they have really good coverage and customer service..jst looking for your opinions on this..
    08-04-09 10:12 PM
    I dont think they suck. I have had other providers and the service is not the same.

EDIT: how is life going in the old wdts?
    08-04-09 10:30 PM
    I dont think they suck. I have had other providers and the service is not the same.

EDIT: how is life going in the old wdts?
    lol whats wdts???
    08-04-09 10:42 PM
    It's mostly because people are always looking for ways to knock down whoever's on top at the moment.

Fact of the matter is that VZW is the biggest in the land. That being said, all of the majors have roaming agreements that allow for voice calls to be made at standard rates in most places.

Look, my home is in northwestern North Carolina, about 45 min outside of Hickory. Data coverage there is barely acceptable, but voice coverage works. And this is the sticks.

Is everyone going to be covered? No. That's just the way it is. But the truth of it is you're not going to please all the people all the time. ****, in the wireless game, if you can please half the people 95% of the time, you're in great shape.

I look at people's accounts all day, and 98% of the time it's the same jokers calling in about the same things. "I didn't access the internet", "My kid doesn't text 28427 times a month", etc. Do we make mistakes? Yes. Everybody does. But 99.8% of the time, it happened. YOU didn't listen, YOU screwed up somewhere.

Personal accountability has gone at the window and through the asphalt. Honestly, it long ago went through the sewer systems of civilization and is probably resting somewhere near the 3rd level of **** right now.

I can say that Sprint CS sucked when I had them because I knew what I was doing. 99% of the time, they told me something I already knew, or I ended up schooling them. And half of them couldn't speak English worth a damn. That was MY experience. When it takes going into a store, and going through five different reps to do an ESN change from a Sanyo M1 to a Pearl and I just end up doing it at home through their website in 5 minutes, it makes you rethink your priorities.

That being said, Sprint's service wasn't that bad. At least not for me. But Verizon's coverage has been better for me while I still continue to work down here in Charleston, SC. Plus, I work for them too.

I can understand how some people might be upset that we "nickle and dime" everyone. Well, life ain't free buddy. And you know what, if we didn't have people who dropped their Storms throw a hissy fit that they're getting a CLNR straight from the store (which is above standard policy, BTW) instead a brand spankin' new one, well, costs might be a little cheaper.

It is what it is. Verizon's the best or right up there in a lot of places. I'm sure AT&T is up there in a lot of places. I'm also sure T-Mo and Sprint are really good in many areas as well. The thing is, when it comes to wireless service, someone is almost ALWAYS going to have something to ***** about.

Now the cable companies on the other hand.. That's something we can ALL agree on.
    08-04-09 10:44 PM
    lol whats wdts???
    Wireless Data Tech Support
    08-04-09 10:54 PM
    man thats true never thought about it that way..where you work at for vzw?
    08-04-09 10:55 PM
    Great post, FRM. One question, though...
    about 45 min outside of Hickory.
    Where the H E double hockey sticks is Hickory?

Just kidding - I have Garmin & OnStar to tell me if I didn't already know

Hey - everyone wants to have chosen the best. Many of those who whimper, whine & moan have never been on the carrier they are slamming or they've shown signs of being a little unreasonable. Okay, a lot unreasonable.

In other words, they don't know what they're talking about.

And, as FRM mentioned, many just want to cut the big dog down to size. We see it here all the time. Joe says the iPhone is best & watch for Thomas, Richard & Harold to come out of the woodwork to call him names & tell him what a dope he is.

Other times, it is an irrational defense, rooted in people's sometimes warped sense of loyalty & personal selection. I make mention that there are better phones than BlackBerry, and Thomas, Richard & Harold again crawl out from under their rocks to make fools of themselves.

Sometimes it is a frustrated boredom. People from the smaller carrier forums are frustrated over experiencing the same problems so many on their carrier forum complain about. They are locked into 19 months left on their contract or are on mommy & daddy's plan, so they can't quietly switch. So they decide to venture into the big dog carrier's cage to rile the whole kennel. In other words, they don't hate VZW - they envy VZW customers, but can't be one themselves.

Then there is the issue that out of 250 million cell phone lines in North America, only about 2 million ever re ad forums like this & the vast majority look & never return, much less participate or contribute - their renewal is up and they are mostly trying to decide between the enV, Dare & Glyde. So what you see online is really the opinions of small fringe groups - nothing substantial. And the fansites trump up the numbers, heavily advertising those trumped up figures. If they were to only report active members, those who post more than 3 times per month for at least four consecutive months, the reality would be painful to look at. YOU MEAN WE AREN'T THAT POPULAR?

When I played with message boards, I used to set the controls to delete anyone without posting activity or site logins within the past 6 months. Over 99% of the registered users would be deleted. It hurt, but I wasn't trying to attract sheep with trumped up, Google-generated numbers. I wanted to see what I could do with content.

Was admin of a karaoke forum - the owner of the karaoke distributor is a good friend of mine. He didn't want inactive members purgesd, because they might be customers. I didn't care - not my board, I knew little about karaoke & only did it as a favor. By the time the board was three years old, we had over 3 million members - many of whom would send messages to the admin, me, and I didn't know the answers to their questions. All I did was set it up, change themes & ban troublemakers. Had about 50 mods, too.

So if without trying, I built a 3 million member karaoke board, imagine what small potatoes you're actually seeing here with one million - then compare it to VZW's 87 million customers & AT&T's 77 million. Not small potatoes - try peas. And the gathered peas tend to be from the fringes. Not all, mind you, but many.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-05-09 12:35 AM
    Rats - hit the button by accident

My finish to the above is that when you see the malcontents here, often they are being unreasonable, are fabricating their story or worse. Some are legit, but regardless, it isn't likely to be representative of the population as a whole.

08-05-09 12:39 AM
    Lol.. Hickory's big time compared to where I live..

I live in Wilkes county. About an hour north of Charlotte. You have heard of Charlotte, haven't you?

08-05-09 12:44 AM
    Lol.. Hickory's big time compared to where I live..

I live in Wilkes county. About an hour north of Charlotte. You have heard of Charlotte, haven't you?
    Let's see - Charlotte...Charlotte...where have I heard about that place?

Oh wait - NASCAR is there, isn't it?

Actually, I love the Carolinas. Beautiful part of the world.

08-05-09 12:48 AM
    They suck because they make a profit, they suck because they actually have the audacity to charge for a service that every American has the right to have.
    Last edited by Weekendbum; 08-05-09 at 02:03 AM.
    08-05-09 12:53 AM
    Next time put quotes around "right" so everyone understands they have no "right" to any of this.

08-05-09 01:12 AM
    VZW sucks cause they don't just give you a new brand new phone when your 14 year old dropped her pink pearl in her caramel frappacino with extra extra whip.

when they won't give you a network extender when you dropped a call in your basement ..

when they can't just print out your contact numbers for all your clients when you never backed them up on your desk top manager. Guess you never figured you would lose your blackberry..

like that .. etc etc etc .. on and on.. that's why verizon sucks
    08-05-09 03:47 AM
    Hickory NC. I will be visiting/vacationing there later this month. Have Family that lives in Hickory. Love that area.

08-05-09 07:58 AM
    First...let me say that I do not think VZW sucks. I am not happy about my current phone service, but this does not mean the company sucks.

Once upon a time (actually, just a few months ago) I had great phone service in North Florida. Almost overnight the nightmare began. Ok...maybe some hyperbole with the word nightmare. I'm not losing any sleep over this. I have lost reliable phone signal at my house and at least one other area of town that I frequent.

When I got wind of the merger, I researched the VZW plans and decided to renew my Alltel plan because it is a stronger plan. Also, where I live Alltel had the superior service and larger footprint. Little did I know, Alltel had Sprint as a partner and part of my superior service had to do with Sprint towers and antennas. Say goodbye to the Sprint towers once new PRLs were pushed to our phones. Say goodbye to the old reliable Alltel service. Eventually, a PRL was released that gave me some decent roaming again, but local service still sucks. This does not mean VZW sucks. I'm not going to bore you with all the details but I have spent several hours in the VZW stores and on the phone with CS and still have spotty service at my house. VZW maintains I have ample signal but I will see a signal fluctuation from about -90dBm down to -120dBm. Imagine trying to have a conversation with this type of signal roller coaster. The calls are garbled at best or dropped...even outside. Hybrid PRLs have been pushed to my phone (5 times) but have not arrived on my phone. VZW does not suck.

Alltel peppered our town with a couple of larger stores and some smaller ones spread around in convenient locations. Last month I went to pay my bill at my usual location (gives me an excuse to check out the new toys) and was surprised to find a sign posted directing me to a location about 5 miles away. From there I was then directed to another location 12 miles away to pay my bill because their bill paying kiosk had not yet been installed. The VZW approach to the retail market seems to be "less is more." That is, fewer locations with longer lines. I guess this cuts down on management costs and rent with the fewer locations, but has created log jams and waiting lists to speak with a rep. On observation, I think this situation will abate as issues are worked out and questions are satisfactorily answered. VZW does not suck.

VZW does have growing pains. My friends in larger markets (I have visited some of them) report better service. What we need is successful tower convergence in some smaller markets to give us former Alltel customers the service we were accustomed to. Hopefully this is possible. An acquaintance of mine has some paranoid conspiracy theory tendencies and thinks VZW is intentionally giving us Alltel plan users bad service to force us to switch to plans that are more costly (I know, more costly is debatable). I don't subscribe to his theory...yet. VZW does not suck.

What I would like to see are straight answers. When will tower convergence in my area be complete? Why can't I get the same superior service that local VZW users now have, that Alltel users used to have? Why do you keep pushing me a hybrid PRL that never arrives?...and do you think that doing the same thing over and over again will produce a different result?

VZW does not suck. During my journey to get my service up to par, I have met some decent hard working folks who I feel are doing the best they can during a rough transition period. I have been disappointed when a customer takes their frustrations out on the sales rep. At times, I have gotten a little testy in these threads but was mostly reacting or responding to a comment I did not agree with. Right or wrong, we're all entitled to an opinion. Except for one situation when a rep tried to brush me off, I have been patient and polite with the VZW personnel I have interacted with on the phone or in the store.

I am in the custom electronics business and I have learned to know, and am a proponent of the old saying, "you get what you pay for." I firmly believe that VZW has the best nationwide network out there. Those who complain about the costs are with the wrong company. To those who don't like the phone they selected I say, "you made the choice now live with it." Those who trashed their device need to accept responsibility. I also believe in honoring an agreement and delivering a superior product. If I am truly a part of the VZW family and my Alltel plan is to be honored, aren't I entitled to the same quality service? There is a VZW tower 7/10 of a mile from my house (a redundant statement for those who have read my posts) and I can't lock onto it. VZW does not suck.

There are some things about this Alltel to VZW transition period that suck! I keep telling myself that VZW "does not suck" to try and keep things in perspective. My experience is not reflective of the rest of the country but is reflective of several posters in these threads and forums, and some other folks I know personally. I want to believe in this company. I want my phone to work from home like it used to. I want straight answers to my questions instead of "be patient." I want to be able to say "the transition period sucked, but all is well now."
    08-05-09 09:14 AM
    VZW sucks bc they pay me bi-weekly and give me d*mn good insurance, as well as benefits. I keed I keed!

Damn VZW!
    08-05-09 09:28 AM
    O.k.

Just coming from Alltel VZW is not as good.

Plans are more expensive (1200 Anytime Nationwide full datplan will cost be 20.00 more a month)

My Circle benefits are less (I lost two spots I earned as a long time customer)

VZW online is horrible as far as bill summary as I cannot see my other two lines in one concise place. (Maybe this will change as time goes on)

Tethering to my laptop is now data capped where it was not with Alltel.

I had zero issues with coverage with Alltel and zero customer complaints. When the merger happened we as the consumer lost another choice which was bad.
    08-05-09 10:34 AM
    Let's see - Charlotte...Charlotte...where have I heard about that place?
    Oh wait - NASCAR is there, isn't it?
    Actually, I love the Carolinas. Beautiful part of the world.
    Thats right lol The "Heart of Nascar" actually , and speaking that I think the Nascar's Hall of Fame will be having there grand opening next spring, as far as the topic "why do you think vzw sucks" I have had problems with dropped calls once before when VZW took over my carrier(few years ago) and now they tracked me down again and my carrier once more (was Alltel) so far seems better thus far this time.
    08-05-09 10:41 AM
    The whiners are so loud that they drown out the sound of people who have legitimate complains.

How about some examples of the whining vs a legitimate complaint?
    08-05-09 10:57 AM
    Verizon is by far the best carrier out there. Got mothing but love for VZW!!!!!
    08-05-09 11:11 AM
    I wouldn't say VZ sucks. I would say there are issues, both positive and negative, like any other carrier would. VZ has good coverage and good customer support if you have common sense expectations.
    08-05-09 11:40 AM
    How about some examples of the whining vs a legitimate complaint?
    Whining: VZW won't let me get the tour for the 2 year price (even though I am only 6 months into my contract), I pay them X amount of money every month. Why won't they let me. How can I con them into letting me?

Legitimate Complaint: I called VZW tech support to try and get problem fixed on the phone and they couldn't fix it. Now want me to pay for a new phone even though I am still under one year warranty and should get sent a refurb. because it is an equipment defect.
    08-05-09 12:15 PM
    VZW doesnt necessarily suck but it depends on who you deal with.

Its not fair that people call CS or go in stores demanding to get their phones swapped out or replaced when there is nothing wrong with it besides a scratch.
    Or when a customer wants a new phone after having the current one for 5 months stating that "its too hard to figure out to use it".

Yes VZW should change some of the policies but as an overall wireless provider I think they are wayy better than Sprint and TMobile
    08-05-09 12:34 PM
    man thats of complaints..and why shud vzw give u a brand new fone? thats wat the insurance is for isnt it...
    08-05-09 01:07 PM
    O.k.

Just coming from Alltel VZW is not as good.

Plans are more expensive (1200 Anytime Nationwide full datplan will cost be 20.00 more a month)

My Circle benefits are less (I lost two spots I earned as a long time customer)

VZW online is horrible as far as bill summary as I cannot see my other two lines in one concise place. (Maybe this will change as time goes on)

Tethering to my laptop is now data capped where it was not with Alltel.

I had zero issues with coverage with Alltel and zero customer complaints. When the merger happened we as the consumer lost another choice which was bad.
    If Alltel charged higher rates they might still be Alltel. It's VZW now. Nothing we can change.

You lost 2 spots however you gained 60 million more custs to call that was built in your plan.

You should be able to see all lines on your account with the online site. Possibly something set up wrong. I have 3 lines and can see all with one log in.

Tethering is capped bc if we didn't the network couldn't support all of the data transfer from phones as well as making phone calls. The bad about having so many customers.

And it's all about who you deal with within the company. You may get a rep who doesn't know what they are talking about or just doesn't want to help you. Give it another shot. We aren't perfect!
    08-05-09 01:49 PM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD