10-04-08 11:08 PM
47 12
tools
    I don't even go into our local Verizon stores for that very reason...I get tired of some of the jerks that work in them that act as if they are doing you some kind of favor instead of just doing they're stinkin jobs.
    Having a CS background I must ask what doing their job is? Bending over backwards, treating you like royalty, doing things for you that is against their jobs rules?

Coming from CS they have limits to what they can and can't do. People in general will never be satified. I had to deal with a lady once (managers get ALL the best cases) because of a dvd player we sold her. She called in and had us hold one for her. Well, when she came in, she told her she had one on hold. The employee went to the back and got one from the stock room and gave it to her. Well, she got mad because we hadn't gave her the one we had set aside for HER. She was completely convinced we had taken the one with her name on it and sold it and when she came in we got her another one. She got the exact player she wanted yet because it wasn't set specially aside for her we had done wrong. So because we had like 100 in stock and didn't set one specific one aside for her we were crooks. So I am sure she went out and talked bad about us about how we had terrible CS. yet in reality she came in, was quickly and efficiently helped, got the item she wanted. All quickly and reliably.
    09-24-08 08:46 PM
    Wow...I didn't think this would wind up going on like this.

I think my original point has been taken wrong. Yes, my problem was taken care of this time. What my issue is and was is that I don't like getting the feeling that a CS rep treats me like helping me is somehow interfering with their day. The battery door, or whatever else a customer is needing does not come out of the reps paycheck or pocket. So, what's it to them? That is my point.

As for the comment about New Yorkers being rude, I take offense to that. There are rude people all over this world, not just in New York. If you treat me nice, I will treat you nice. It works both ways, no matter where you live.
    09-25-08 08:31 AM
    For the original poster...he probably wasn't taking his sweet assss time...he had to go through all the returns to find a pink phone. Some days there's dozens and dozens of returns and being that the pink ones just came out, there were probably few that were recently returned. He might have been a ****, but at least he did help you out...glad to see you didn't have to pay for it or waste more time.
    09-25-08 08:40 AM

I think my original point has been taken wrong. Yes, my problem was taken care of this time. What my issue is and was is that I don't like getting the feeling that a CS rep treats me like helping me is somehow interfering with their day. The battery door, or whatever else a customer is needing does not come out of the reps paycheck or pocket. So, what's it to them? That is my point.

As for the comment about New Yorkers being rude, I take offense to that. There are rude people all over this world, not just in New York. If you treat me nice, I will treat you nice. It works both ways, no matter where you live.
    Did you ever stop to think that, perhaps, this is just a misinterpretation on your part, and that the rep didn't mean to come off this way? I obviously was not there at the store with you, and I cannot speak on behalf of the rep. However, I do know that Verizon is known for their stellar customer service, especially when it is an error or mistake or whatever on their end.
    09-25-08 08:43 AM
    I think this thread pretty much backs up everything I've been saying about Verizon's attitude problems and the id1ots that work in their stores. Argue all you want, the proof is in these stories.
    Hey man...we've had civil discussions before....I agree that there are idiots in the store channel...but that goes for any retail environment. I think if you went to another carrier, you would have the same complaint. You are an advanced user with a technical background, 99.9% of the people that work in customer service or sales are not going to assist you the way you want/need to be assisted.

As for the morons that work there that don't know the general practices and acts of courteousness...they deserve the bashing. They'll be there for life making minimium wage because they just don't care. Sad truth is companies don't invest that much in customer service because there isn't much return on investment. There are great people working there who care of their jobs and customers...then there's your shcmucks...

People bash the horror stories...what about the good ones? People are more apt to complain than give praise. People with a bad experience want to run home, write a letter and voice their painful experience. However, people with positive experiences can put their thoughts on the back burner, because it's not as important as if they needed to vent.

Not all of VZW is terrible, some of us are good.

C

VZW employee
    Last edited by cmsmith9; 09-25-08 at 09:24 AM.
    09-25-08 09:22 AM
    Purfect example. Someone thought New Yorkers are rude. you took offense to that. No thats a big state they all are not rude. well think about how many vzw reps are out there. They all are not bad. I have people coming in my store all the time saying that I gave them the best customer service they have ever had with VZW. I have been working here two and a half years most reps are in and out in 6 months. They weed out the bad apples and live the shinny ones like me.

My sugestion for everyone is to go out and ask friends and family who they have worked with. ask the rep there qualifications. you dont have to go to the rep that is free wait a little bit longer for the person that knows there stuff and will bend over backwards for you.

I will end in saying there are 2 types of places you can go for face to face Direct or indirect (preimere retailer) look into both you might me supprised the service you get with an indirect rep.
    09-25-08 12:00 PM
    I too HATE bad customer service. Sunday we were at a Sports Bar. After eating the server told us she was being to bartender. We went away and paid so she could have her tip. A guy started getting my refills. He had a fresh coke for me before my cup was empty. When we were leaving I found him and gave him a tip. He was so shocked and told me he wasn't my server. I told him I knew that but he took care of me. I know he will now continue to take care of us. Also one time we were there and their machine would not take our card - bad weather. We didn't have enough cash to pay for the meal AND tip. The girl was cool about it. I also have her a tip Sunday. She insisted I didn't need to. I told her that I know she does not make much hourly and relied on tips. She came over and have me a hug and thanked me. But on the same foot, if they had given me poor service, their tip would not been as much.

~ vndlewis

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-25-08 01:52 PM
    Plain and simple I have never had bad VZW CS. However, I have also never gone to a store because the nearest one is about 45 minutes away. I have ALWAYS gotten my problems solves over the phone. With that I have also never had to wait to talk to someone. I call, select the right option, and have always gotten a CS rep within easily 1 - 2 minutes. When I was with T-Mobile, by golly I had to put the phone on speaker and carry on with my day. It was that bad.
    09-25-08 07:03 PM
    Wben I was with sprint I had a billing issue. I was already upset. I could not understand her English. I asked to speak to someone who English as their primary language. She responded "I - speak - slo - wer - so - you - can - un - der - stand - me." needless to say it did not make things better.

~ vndlewis

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-25-08 07:25 PM
    Sounds like to me he went well out of his way. If you walk in and the person serves you like royalty, well guess what...everyone one else has to wait around and not get ANY attention. If the guy went into the back and got you a door off a broken unit for free, awesome. Maybe while he was back there taking his sweet time he was also helping out doing other things. You know, multitasking. The fact that he wanted to make sure it worked is even better. I guess he could have handed it to you, not said a word, and walked away. How rude!!! He took the time to make sure it worked so he could get another one if it didn't.

I am not flaming the OP here, but I used to be the CS manager at Target and let me say, people in general are RUDE. Stores have rules and most post those in plain site. I used to get so many people that would get mad because I wouldn't accept their return. In there eyes I was a rude ****. There were rules to follow, the return policy being clearly stated all over the place. Yet I was the rude one because I wouldn't cater to one persons needs.

Maybe the guy was rude, but in my eyes he went really far out of his way to help you. I'm sure the "official" response was probably "Nothing we can do for you. Buy a new one"
    i worked for VZW in a call center for over 2 years, and basically lost all hope in humanity. seriously! for every 1 courteous customer, there's 100 right behind em waiting to call and *****. i especially hated when people wouldn't take responsibility for themselves. "you sold me a bad phone. the battery door broke" vs. "i think i broke the battery door. do you have a new one i can buy?". use the 2nd one and 99% of the time i'd just give it to em, overnight shipping, everything for free. especially if they paid their bill on time! omg! do you have any idea how far that will get you with the ******** people who still work there? (thats one of the reasons i quit, i was starting to look WAY smarter than i really am, lol!)

anyway, "treat others how you want to be treated" is a two way street, and WE as a civilization have a long way to go. someone has to step up and be civil even when everyone else is being rude. if you expect someone else to start, then it'll never happen. ya know?
    09-25-08 11:21 PM
    I work in one of those stores. It is true there are some employees like that but there are also a great amount of us employees that aren't rude or jerks. If you could spend a day in their shoes, maybe you could understand their side a little better. imagine sitting their getting screamed at because someones daughter ran up the bill or they dropped their phone in the toilet and demand that you fix their issue even though you had nothing to do with it. try coming in and smiling at them instead of assuming they are a ****. Also ask if there is someone who is well versed in blackberry. Stores have a Blackberry Champion who knows 10x what a normal rep knows. :0)
    09-26-08 04:57 PM
    3 pages deep....I just want to say to Jane that we aren't bashing you. You had a bad personal experience. That sucks. In having a CS background you get a lot of insight into how the whole operation works. The 10-30 minutes you spend at a store getting help is only a slight portion of the people who work there's day. Maybe the person that helped you just got rid of a really crappy customer. Its only the really disturbed that can seem super happy and just ready to help someone after getting a crappy customer. ( I can't stand people who always seem to be uppity up. Makes me wonder what they put themselves through behind closed doors.)
    09-26-08 07:46 PM
    After reading all these replies I was really starting to wonder if I'd made a mistake posting my rant. Since I didn't want to write a novel on this post, I left out all the other problems I have had with this particular store. It is the only one in my area with a tech center, so for most issues, I have to go there.

I usually try and get problems solved via the Verizon phone center. They are so helpful. I wish those people could work in the stores. While it is true that a lot of customers that walk in have a chip on their shoulder, not all do. I always try to have a smile on my face when I deal with the public. I have worked in the customer service field and in Human Resources. I always said that if you have a smile on your face, there will be a smile in your voice.

What I couldn't convey here was the look on this particular CS reps face and his tone of voice. It put me off right away and made things very awkward. When he asked me to put the battery door on my phone, what he really said was that he needed to see my phone to make sure I had one! That is where the comment on selling it on eBay came from.

As it was stated before, everyone has to deal with difficult customers. It's unfortunately a fact of life. What we need to remember though, is that not EVERY customer will or is difficult.

I hope we can move on from this thread. It kind of got a little out of hand and I do feel bashed on some aspects of the posts here.
    09-27-08 09:42 AM
    Jane

Welcome to the world of forums. No matter what you say, someojne esle will disagree with you. It is the way of world.

You have a legit expirence and posted. Keep it up and just have fun with posting.
    09-27-08 10:00 AM
    Everytime I visit one I feel like I'm at "BuyMore" from the TV show in "Chuck". The telephone sales and service are far superior. I use them over the local store if I can. I wish the Apple Store sold BB's
    09-27-08 04:48 PM
    There are rude pople everywhere
    09-27-08 04:53 PM
    I've had nothing but a great experience going into the VZW stores, the only time I got pissed is when I found out you have to wait in a line of 20 people to buy a screen protector
    09-28-08 06:53 PM
    I'll be honest: I get people everyday who will NEVER go back to a VZW store.

This is not a new issue to any retail store in ANY industry. People are human, the stores are overworked, and customers all think they are unique.

To continue the honesty; you're problem isn't unique, you are not more important because you spend more money, and yes we will do our best to help you.

Tips to help in a store:

1. be patient

2. be patient

3. be patient

4. repeat 1-3 as necessary.
    09-29-08 10:41 PM
    As a nurse you would not believe the ish I have to do and still be polite so I have zero tolerance to rude behavior when I am paying my money for something. It wasn't like you were asking him to take the back off the phone clipped on his belt or that he would take a pay cut for the replacement part! I would have taken his name and reported him everywhere there was a place to complain; his supervisor at the store, over the phone and on the internet! These days people need to be thankful to have a job. And other people need to be less tolerant of behavior like this when their purchases pays that persons paycheck.
    When we have poor performance at my job we get written up as it should be when you have to deal with the public. Negative attitudes are contagious.
    10-02-08 07:12 AM
    LOL, and I can't tell you how many times I've heard "I pay your salary/you should be grateful to have a job" as a justification for a customer being rude to me......

I agree that people need to be less tolerant of rude behavior, but I also think that the way to combat rudeness is with politeness....in my job, the ruder a customer is the MORE polite I am to them.....more often than not, they "hear" themselves and calm down and apologize to me for their behavior, and for the ones that don't I have the satisfaction of knowing that I handled my job as a professional.

I AM grateful to have a job--but I was JUST as grateful when the economy was doing well as I am now.
    10-03-08 07:28 AM
    I'm in CA - and recently had a bad experience in the Verizon store... similar to yours. What I learned upon asking for the manager was that most CA Verizon stores have farmed out their tech services to other vendors. So you step in to the retail part of the store, actually run by Verizon... and if you need repairs, parts or warranty replacements, you're actually sent over to a group of folks not employed by Verizon.

My general rule is to kill 'em with kindness and be honest with the service rep. if I don't feel they're providing the service I feel is reasonable. If they get haughty, I ask for a manager. If the manager is incompetent, I simply make notes of the names, date and times and location of the store I've visited and contact the company's corporate offices.

Especially with franchises, many times, the corporate office will send out a general manager to observe training policies if they receive more than one complaint. How do they know unless we feed back to them?

I'm sorry your experience wasn't positive. Generally speaking, Verizon far exceeds the customer service ratings I would extend to any other carrier. Because of what I learned through my last visit to the local store, I will deal with the tech support folks on the phone, rather than set foot in that store again, unless my life depends on it!

Don't let the turkeys get you down... and keep it all in perspective. (I know... much easier said than done!) Your kindness will come back to you - especially when delivered to someone who doesn't deserve it!

Hope your next experience is better...

Take care...

Heartforhorses
    10-04-08 10:53 PM

For the original poster...he probably wasn't taking his sweet assss time...he had to go through all the returns to find a pink phone. Some days there's dozens and dozens of returns and being that the pink ones just came out, there were probably few that were recently returned. He might have been a ****, but at least he did help you out...glad to see you didn't have to pay for it or waste more time.
    I choose not to read this entire thread b/c I too feel like up to this point, the point of the OP has taken a different path. I dont think the OP expected to have their azz kissed; but instead have a rep that APPEARED to want to do their job w/O the OP feeling like they just interrupted the middle of a football game.

I dont think what you went through is carrier specific. There are so many reps, no matter who the carrier, that act like it'll take a big chunk out of their day to actually get off their behind for the customer. I HATE w/A passion going to any Sprint store- not necessarily due to how I've been treated, but how I've watched other customers being treated & the BS that gets told to customers.

I think that before any of you bash the OP for what they went through, just wait til it happens to you. Then & only then will you understand what they actually meant.
    10-04-08 11:08 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD