10-14-09 11:09 PM
36 12
tools
    If you can't admit the GSM phones come out first, you have a problem.

GSM is huge compared to CDMA, so why would Rim not work harder to make sure phones are released first on it?

Yeah the Storm and Storm 2 have come and gone, but ATT has had the iphone, and part of the contract with them was probably, you should try to keep us as the main touchscreen smartphone device in your lineup, and not seek out other contracts with other companies that you didn't already have.

That is the only reason the Storm is out on VZW first, yeah the Tour came out, but its just a Bold wanna be. The Tour 2 will beat the Bold, but, then, by that time, the Bold 2 will come out, with trackpad and more app memory and an improved camera.
    10-13-09 09:46 AM
    If they come out so early then why not just go to those carriers that get those phones?
    10-13-09 09:49 AM
    There is more to it also.

The Tour(2) is a CDMA/GSM Quad Band world phone. So it has the mass market for GSM built into already.

The Storm(2) is a special category by itself. It's a supposedly an iPhone killer. Regardless of CDMA or GSM, RIM is banking on this model to kill iPhone with any AT&T competiting carriers who want it. In this case, Verizon, and hopefully Sprint. They just happen to be on CDMA.
    10-13-09 09:53 AM
    Why would the Storm 2 be an Iphone killer when At&t is supposed to be getting a version of it as well? I think it is the public who labels these things the next "Iphone killer" and not necessarily the manufacturer. I think it should be called an Iphone alternative even though some people are saying the Storm 2 is not all that impressive.

I agree with most people that while VZW doesn't get the new phones first all the time their lineup is still very good and is only going to get better in the next few months!
    10-13-09 10:07 AM
    Why would the Storm 2 be an Iphone killer when At&t is supposed to be getting a version of it as well? I think it is the public who labels these things the next "Iphone killer" and not necessarily the manufacturer. I think it should be called an Iphone alternative even though some people are saying the Storm 2 is not all that impressive.

I agree with most people that while VZW doesn't get the new phones first all the time their lineup is still very good and is only going to get better in the next few months!
    You are missing the point. We are not comparing if iPhone is better then Storm etc. Or iPhone killer or alternative. The point is RIM is positioning Storm to competite for iPhone users. So if they can sell more Storms through CDMA carriers, so be it.
    10-13-09 03:26 PM

GSM is huge compared to CDMA, so why would Rim not work harder to make sure phones are released first on it?

Yeah the Storm and Storm 2 have come and gone, but ATT has had the iphone, and part of the contract with them was probably, you should try to keep us as the main touchscreen smartphone device in your lineup, and not seek out other contracts with other companies that you didn't already have.

That is the only reason the Storm is out on VZW first, yeah the Tour came out, but its just a Bold wanna be. The Tour 2 will beat the Bold, but, then, by that time, the Bold 2 will come out, with trackpad and more app memory and an improved camera.
    About.com: http://www.privateline.com/PCS/splash.htm
    10-13-09 04:11 PM

I don't have a problem - you have a problem that equates sheer numbers with superiority.

Hyundai Accent

Porsche 911

Ferrari 430

Bentley Arnage

Which are best & which sells more?

You also illustrate a basic lack of understanding of the technologies we're discussing. Go read the link i7guy gave you above, then come back.

Mondavi Cabernet Savignon 1978

Gallo Chablis

No comparison, but again, which sells more?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-13-09 04:24 PM
    You are missing the point. We are not comparing if iPhone is better then Storm etc. Or iPhone killer or alternative. The point is RIM is positioning Storm to competite for iPhone users. So if they can sell more Storms through CDMA carriers, so be it.
    Maybe I misunderstood your intent but what you said was:

"The Storm(2) is a special category by itself. It's a supposedly an iPhone killer. Regardless of CDMA or GSM, RIM is banking on this model to kill iPhone with any AT&T competiting carriers who want it. In this case, Verizon, and hopefully Sprint. They just happen to be on CDMA."

I did not compare the Iphone to the Storm 2. I said from some of the stuff I read on this site the Storm 2 doesn't seem that impressive. I agree with you this is the device that RIM wants to compete with the Iphone but I do not believe they have labeled it an Iphone killer. The consumer and third party reviewers/testers label these phones the Iphone killer. I suggested they should call it an alternative which is exactly how you replied to me and told me I was missing the point.
    10-13-09 08:08 PM
    I don't have a problem - you have a problem that equates sheer numbers with superiority.

Hyundai Accent

Porsche 911

Ferrari 430

Bentley Arnage

Which are best & which sells more?

You also illustrate a basic lack of understanding of the technologies we're discussing. Go read the link i7guy gave you above, then come back.

Mondavi Cabernet Savignon 1978

Gallo Chablis

No comparison, but again, which sells more?

You forgot Toyota Corolla and Keystone Light for comparison...
    10-14-09 07:50 AM
    I think it used to be that way where GSM came out with phones first before CDMA. I see that this has changed. Back when the curve was the big boy on the block, I remember the treo was the curve, 8830, and the pearl. And yes, GSM came out first and it took almost a year if not a year to port them to CDMA carriers. But this year I find that those lines have blurred a lot. Verizon has the Tour, the Storm 2 coming next week. Thats 2 modern blackberries which is just about on parr with GSM carriers. Then you have a Tour update coming 1st quarter 2010 with wifi and trackpad and a curve 2. That will make it 4 modern blackberries on 1 carrier.

So while I agree it used to be that way, I think it has changed and its a lot more equal amongst the different technology carriers
    10-14-09 08:23 PM
    it seems to me that carrier decisions have made a greater impact on what rim builds than what wireless tech (cdma/gsm) they're on

10-14-09 11:09 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD