Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • I thought it had it (yeah right)

1 4.00%
  • The sales rep did not inform me that it did not have it

0 0%
  • I knew it did not have it, but love to complain about it

2 8.00%
  • WIFI means nothing to me ( did not need it)

22 88.00%
    Since there are so many OUTRAGEOUS threads here that cover the same thing about VZW not having WIFI, I though I would ask this Question and add another to the list.

Why buy a VZW Blackerry KNOWING is does not WIFI?
    05-21-09 06:05 PM
    I don't need wifi. I didn't even know it existed for phones until my brother tried out the Omnia. He wanted it while he went on his cross country road trip. He has his own web design business and it would help him stay in touch with clients when he wasn't in a verizon area. He ended up switching it out a month into his trip for the Storm, but found that verizon was pretty much everywhere he went so he didn't end up even needing wifi and he had said before buying the omnia that he wouldn't need it here either.

As for myself, everywhere I go, I have service. Therefore, no need for wifi.
    05-21-09 06:15 PM
    Dare you add: I want Wifi so I avoid Verizon?
    05-21-09 06:21 PM
    Dare you add: I want Wifi so I avoid Verizon?
    this does not involve the though process of this poll.

If you wanted to avoid VZW, then a person never would have signed the dotted line. My though process behind this poll is why would someone buy a device KNOWING it did not have WI-FI and then start all these threads complaining about it.
    05-21-09 06:25 PM
    The few areas where I wish I could use it, those areas do not provide free wifi. Even if I had my laptop in those places, I would stil not be able to log on. When I'm at home, it would be nice to use, but I'm pretty much on my laptop then. I also like the new friends and family plan verizon offers. AT&T has roll over, but you can't talk a lot on your phone. If not, you wouldn't have anything to roll over. With the new friends and family plan I have 2 lines on my account. We're able to call any 10 numbers as much as we like for free.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by cdf3; 05-21-09 at 09:29 PM.
    05-21-09 06:29 PM
    I'm off to puerto rico this july and have a router I'm bring to set up a wifi network at home. Signal is so bad in our home out there that I have to actually stand in the middle of the road in front of the house just to talk. But I'll get a 50/50 signal on the porch but it cuts off usually within 5 minutes of talk. Texts go through some of the time and webpages never load!

It would be so nice to be able to freely use my device all around the house for data. Cant do much about the voice right now unless they miraculously fixed it within this past year, but if wifi can fix the data part, then hey, thats what its for!

Not to mention entertainment on my 3 hour wifi flight!
    05-21-09 07:18 PM
    I'm off to puerto rico this july and have a router I'm bring to set up a wifi network at home. Signal is so bad in our home out there that I have to actually stand in the middle of the road in front of the house just to talk. But I'll get a 50/50 signal on the porch but it cuts off usually within 5 minutes of talk. Texts go through some of the time and webpages never load!

It would be so nice to be able to freely use my device all around the house for data. Cant do much about the voice right now unless they miraculously fixed it within this past year, but if wifi can fix the data part, then hey, thats what its for!

Not to mention entertainment on my 3 hour wifi flight!
    Again I will say: If you are having voice and data issues. Why did you choose VZW and if WI-FI is so important, why did you select a device that does not have it?

This has nothing to wether a provider disables, cripples, or does not. So this will not float. you knew going in this device did not what you are looking for.
    05-21-09 07:24 PM
    blackberry came after my displeasure with the LG Voyager. So the benefits of a blackberry didn't hit me until afterward. Data on a voyager was literally useless so I didn't focus on the benefits of internet/data use on a mobile device.

Lets not forget, the data device phenomina started not that long ago (just over a year ago) and its only now that these devices are mainstream and people have had a chance to test them and see what they truly need or dont need!

Plus, I don't pick my service based on how good it is in my summer home in puerto rico! LOL I hope u don't expect all customers to go to their home land within their 30 days to test their devices
    05-21-09 07:31 PM
    blackberry came after my displeasure with the LG Voyager. So the benefits of a blackberry didn't hit me until afterward. Data on a voyager was literally useless so I didn't focus on the benefits of internet/data use on a mobile device.

Lets not forget, the data device phenomina started not that long ago (just over a year ago) and its only now that these devices are mainstream and people have had a chance to test them and see what they truly need or dont need!

Plus, I don't pick my service based on how good it is in my summer home in puerto rico! LOL I hope u don't expect all customers to go to their home land within their 30 days to test their devices
    So you didn't even know there was wifi available on handsets until someone told you, but now it's so necessary you have to complain about it? Talk about blind consumerism.

Say you sign a contract with Direct TV for the services you want then go to your friend's house and see HBO for the first time and your friends says it's this and that. Then find out Direct TV doesn't offer HBO and you go on a forum to complain? Wow.
    05-21-09 08:01 PM
    oh God, here we go! lol
    05-21-09 08:12 PM
    Where do you come up with these things? Data device phenomenon started just a year ago? The iPod has been out how long? The Curve was 2007. The Treo much longer. Palm before that. I was using WinCE at least 10 years ago & knew many who also had devices with it.

That's okay though - you've admitted you picked up a Voyager without researching it, then couldn't figure out how to use its HTML browser, then you grabbed a BlackBerry that you didn't need before - you didn't do your research then and you didn't do it for use in PR.

WiFi smartphones have been out longer than full GPS phones - and they were readily available on VZW. But again, no research on your part and now you want to rally us to your side of the cause? Come on!

05-21-09 08:27 PM
    before the curve, blackberries were almost exclusively business! The whole purpose of the curve was to satisfy the emerging market! Thats a fact, however, I know how much u enjoy contradicting me at every turn
    05-21-09 08:34 PM
    lastraid you should add "Knew it didn't but wanted it anyways"

Because I already knew but still wanted the phone even though I prefer WIFI capabilities, just not that important
    05-21-09 08:41 PM
    before the curve, blackberries were almost exclusively business! The whole purpose of the curve was to satisfy the emerging market! Thats a fact, however, I know how much u enjoy contradicting me at every turn
    If it's a fact, you won't have any problem providing some evidence then right?
    05-21-09 08:56 PM
    Oh yes, I guess the pearl, which was out before the Curve, was just business phone? hmm
    05-21-09 09:13 PM
    lastraid you should add "Knew it didn't but wanted it anyways"

Because I already knew but still wanted the phone even though I prefer WIFI capabilities, just not that important
    Hahaha, that and 100 more - this thread was start more in frustration of so WI-FI threads that cover all the same thing. if they were combined or eliminated, we could clean up a terabite of drive space.
    05-21-09 09:17 PM
    Again I will say: If you are having voice and data issues. Why did you choose VZW and if WI-FI is so important, why did you select a device that does not have it?

This has nothing to wether a provider disables, cripples, or does not. So this will not float. you knew going in this device did not what you are looking for.
    I understood your question completely. Not sure why others have so much trouble understanding the real question. haha
    05-21-09 09:18 PM
    no, ur right... the curve was just the first full keyboard. Either way, its a new market starting with the pearl/curve devices!
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 05-21-09 at 09:39 PM.
    05-21-09 09:33 PM
    no, ur right... the curve was just the first full keyboard. Either way, its a new market starting with the pearl/curve devices!
    Thank you.

I would then venture to guess that this would put RIM a bit behind some of the other manufacturers with putting out devices with the wow factor of Winmo and maybe even Palm. I am sure as time goes on, they will catch up.

IMHO, RIM's sync software is far more superior than activesync or hotsync.

But this maybe another conversation for an appropriate thread.
    05-21-09 09:49 PM
    I mean its only now that the 2nd gen devices are coming to light! So there's no question that this is a new market!

I made a mistake because I went by the curve for vzw timeline. I forgot that the cdma curve came late in the game. Either way, I think the point still holds true...
    05-21-09 09:51 PM
    I thought it had it?!?
    05-21-09 10:03 PM
    i cant vote on the poll.. my answer is simple.. I dont choose a network based on a device. I choose a network and look at the devices they have and choose one.

yes I will complain about not having wi-fi all day and I believe I have very valid reasons for wanting it. However this is not a carrier argument.
    05-21-09 11:17 PM
    i cant vote on the poll.. my answer is simple.. I dont choose a network based on a device. I choose a network and look at the devices they have and choose one.

yes I will complain about not having wi-fi all day and I believe I have very valid reasons for wanting it. However this is not a carrier argument.
    i kind of agree. But even though I know there are valid constraints, I dont think CDMA carriers are actively trying to push it for their customers either.

Well, until the recent uprising anyway...
    05-22-09 08:34 AM
    At any of the locations where I have Wi-Fi I also have a fully functional PC.
    At any of the locations where I must rely on my Blackberry, there are no wireless network access points.
    So Wi-Fi doesn't really mean much to me.
    05-22-09 12:16 PM
    i kind of agree. But even though I know there are valid constraints, I dont think CDMA carriers are actively trying to push it for their customers either.
    No "recent uprising" at all - just a few people on a niche site whining about something they think they need.

I am going to pretend I am the largest carrier in the country. I offer services for a fee, with the objective being profit. I got to be the biggest because of a focus on quality, customer service & efficiency. I named my company TwinsXVZW.

Because my network is so vast & I am always improving it, I have the happiest customers, because it works better than anyone elses. The efficiency I have built in means I can offer more for the same money, while enjoying healthy profits to continue the business & reward investors.

To achieve this efficiency, I have worked long and hard to reduce or eliminate things which are unimportant to the vast majority of my customers, as well as those things which may cause undue customer support issues or dissatisfaction. NiCad batteries, complicated setup, confusing billing, problematic features and more are things I have either pushed to eliminate or avoid encouraging their adoption.
    Given my goals stated above, why would I spend time, money or effort "pushing" manufacturers to make something special? Considering that something would add complexity, cost, increased customer service load, reduced battery & more - all while not adding to the bottom-line, it wouldn't make sense.

What makes more sense is to offer some options - which VZW does.

If I were a regular consumer - my business was say real estate - and I was still as mobile as I am today, I would tell you WiFi is really a non-issue. I have the WiFi devices, from phones to laptops. I travel in excess of 50,000 miles per year - by ground & air. How often have I needed WiFi on a phone over the past year? About a half-dozen or so. Problem is that there were no available WiFi spots when I needed them. Laptop - with backup cards to cover most WiFi protocols - nope.

How many times might it be convenient to have WiFi on my phone? Seldom, as the BlackBerry & BlackBerry browser are already big bottlenecks in the speed equation. I have real computers, not toy phones, if I want speed. By the time I navigate the menus to activate WiFi, I lost any potential speed gain.

I have over 200 relatives within the state - most of them are very well off - some developers, some engineers, some in finance, some politicians, one who is a commercial real estate broker - we pretty much nail down the typical VZW demographic in terms of ratio of smartphones to advanced devices to dumbphones. I am the only one who might even consider using WiFi on a phone - the rest don't care.

My dad is in his 70's with several huge flat panel TVs controlled through media-center computers. He has laptops & puts 30k miles per year on his motorhome. His phone? A Samsung flipper on VZW. His wife is younger than I am and has an enV2, because she likes to text (which drives my dad nuts on his flipper). They use WiFi at home & satellite/WiFi on the road. They couldn't care less about WiFi on their phones.

Only the tech/fan/kid sites care about WiFi on a phone. They do their polls, but guess what? The average Joe has never even heard about CrackBerry or Phonearena - and most don't have time to read these sites. So, they don't participate in the polls or the site feedback.

So what is my point to all of this? If my family is typical, less than half of one percent might care about WiFi. But let's take it even further & say they are atypical & the true figure is 10 times what my family uses. We're still looking at less than 5%.

If a device maker sees a market for WiFi or any feature, for that matter, competitive/profit oriented pressures will cause them to try including it in their device. Conversely, while the carriers might have exerted pressure or contracted to add features such as text messaging or compatibility with subscription navagation services, I doubt there is any desire to pressure the makers for a feature that so few care about, that would add cost, complexity, reduced battery life & added calls for customer service.

It seems everytime I have come across someone complaining about how bad their battery life was, I look at their phone - "Do you use WiFi?" I ask - almost without fail, they say no. I disable the WiFi & they have no more complaints.

Know what you're buying into. If you want WiFi so badly, get a device that has it. In your case, RM, you've indicated you have nearly no experience with smartphones - you came to your current & first one, your BlackBerry, after an LG device. For all you know, the vastly increased horsepower & capabilities of the average WinMo or Palm phone might just be what you wanted all along - and you can get WiFi on non-BlackBerry CDMA devices.

In the capabilities department, BlackBerry comes in behind WinMo, Palm, Android, iPhone and, in some ways, even Symbian. If you want a device that does everything, get a device that at least tries to do everything.

One last thing - most of those GSM/WiFi-capable BlackBerrys have poor to non-existent 3G abilities, which does accentuate a perceived "need" for WiFi.

05-22-09 01:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD