01-05-09 07:11 PM
101 ... 2345
tools
    Just bought a used 8330 to replace my 8130. I loved suretype when I got the phone, but as the months went by I grew to hate it more and more.

Due for an upgrade on 10/09. The curve should be able to hold me over. I'd sure like to have a CDMA Bold!
    12-07-08 07:24 AM
    Thanks a bunch I thought I was the only one who wasn't crazy about touch screens, I am in love with the Bold but I am also loyal to VZW to I can't wait to see what's next up for us, I'm getting along just fine with my 8830WE I was also unimpressed with the 8900 oh well, I wll just sit tight as long as I can wait to see whats next.
    Last edited by WE8830SILVER; 12-07-08 at 06:01 PM.
    12-07-08 04:52 PM
    After trying out the Bold at a BestBuy, I'm definitely waiting on the Niagara. I was keen on a touchscreen but having tried it now, it's clear to me that the physical limitations on typing would just frustrate me, so I'll stick with the non-virtual keyboard. And that's to say nothing of the vurrent OS sluggishness on the Bold, which would drive me up the wall but which I'm assuming will be fixed with OS updates. But since I like to operate fast on my BBs, a touchscreen just won't cut it for me, so I'm afraid I'll have to give up on the idea of all that extra screen real estate. Anyone who says they can type just as fast on the Bold as they could on a physical keyboard is either not a fast thumb typer to begin with (which of course is fine, just not me) or is kidding themselves, I'm afraid. Bring on the Niagara!
    12-08-08 01:42 PM
    After trying out the Bold at a BestBuy, I'm definitely waiting on the Niagara. I was keen on a touchscreen but having tried it now, it's clear to me that the physical limitations on typing would just frustrate me, so I'll stick with the non-virtual keyboard. And that's to say nothing of the vurrent OS sluggishness on the Bold, which would drive me up the wall but which I'm assuming will be fixed with OS updates. But since I like to operate fast on my BBs, a touchscreen just won't cut it for me, so I'm afraid I'll have to give up on the idea of all that extra screen real estate. Anyone who says they can type just as fast on the Bold as they could on a physical keyboard is either not a fast thumb typer to begin with (which of course is fine, just not me) or is kidding themselves, I'm afraid. Bring on the Niagara!
    I believe you meant Storm instead of Bold...
    12-08-08 06:14 PM
    Same boat as the rest of you....don't want the Storm and the Curve is just too old to upgrade to now.

C'mon Verizon, lets get some concrete release dates!!!!!!
    12-10-08 02:35 PM
    Storm notwithstanding, most phones on VZW don't get a huge announcement way in advance. Typically it's "Yeah, this phone is coming, pick it up Friday," and that's it. I actually like that because the wait isn't agonizing, but waiting for a CDMA version of an existing BB is a little frustrating. I'm personally up in the air between the 8900 and Niagara right now. Probably whichever one launches first gets my dime.
    12-10-08 02:49 PM
    jorGeorge
    You are right about the 3G, I wasn't thinking about VZ revA. I will be all over the Niagara. I wish it were here now. I did the Storm thing and returned it and went back to my curve. Storm is very nice but not for me.
    12-15-08 08:26 PM
    I own a Bold on AT&T and a Curve on VZ. Let me tell you the Bold is a awesome machine. Fast, beautiful screen, awesome keyboard, just a workhorse. I cannot wait until the Niagara on VZ to drop. I wish that my Bold would work on VZ. Niagara will be the phone to wait for no doubt.
    12-15-08 08:44 PM
    I am happy to be rocking the curve
    12-17-08 05:48 PM
    I got sick of waiting to replace my Q9m and I got a Samsung Saga and I am definitely pleased with my purchase. It has a physical QWERTY keypad, an optical mouse pad and a touch screen. The interface wasn't really built for finger touch navigation but web browsing on the phone is great(finger flicks to scroll works great)

Once I find a more touch intuitive interface to put on the phone I'll be 100% satisfied with the phone as opposed to 99%.

This phone will definitely hold me over just fine until some new great Verizon Blackberry(or even something else) comes out.
    12-17-08 11:20 PM
    I am going to wait for the Niagara. I don't really like touch screens. I find them hard to type on when you are in a hurry. I love my curve, so I am going to hang on to it, until an updated BlackBerry with a full keyboard comes out.

Brandie
    12-18-08 11:17 AM
    With the steep cost of interational roaming on VZW/Voda, I couldn't care less about WE capabilities. I use a single roaming access number anyway so I can get calls anywhere and use prepaids when outside the US.

I am looking forward to the Niagara/Jupiter/Javelin/Jelly/Whatever & will get one as long as it is better than my Curve. The Storm was never considered as I find touchscreen devices maddening & only suitable for those who value form over function. The iPhone & Storm are pretty but neither is worth used tissue to me.

Any waits or delays are not VZW's doing. The releases are planned & executed by RIM. Do carriers test & approve new devices for their inventories? Of course they do, but it is mostly done during beta testing stages.

No carrier, VZW or otherwise, can offer a device before the manufacturer releases it. Because of this, I am happy with what I have and will wait.
    Last edited by TwinsX2Dad; 12-18-08 at 11:36 AM.
    12-18-08 11:33 AM
    I spent a while with a Storm at my Verizon corporate store this week. I thought the screen was fantastic, and I appreciate the effort BB put into this phone. But I decided I just can't have a phone with a virtual keyboard unless the letters are bigger and I don't have to press the whole screen down each time. I need to be able to type fast. I hate Apple and won't buy the iPhone, so that's out.

I tried a Curve and it was good, but no way I'm going to be stuck with that screen and its slow speed for two years when there are new BBs on the horizon. So Verizon, please give us the Niagara and/or Jupiter sooner than later!!

Otherwise it's the Saga for me.
    12-18-08 01:49 PM
    ....I'm in the UK. As I see it, things are a little confusing. Maybe I haven't got a clue what's happening but correct me if I'm wrong:

The Javelin is really the Curve 8900, the Niagara is the replacement to the 8830 and yet also a Bold 2? (so it replaces two handsets?)

Also, this CDMA business. Do I need to worry about these CDMA compliant handsets, since we operate on GSM networks as far as I am aware.

So, now I've got that off my chest, what am I to do? Curve 8900 due out 28 Dec 2008 (OS on this appears to be 4.6, suggesting better handsets in Q1 2009), Storm already out (tried it, useless; let me reiterate, the typing was abysmal), and do I add the Niagara to the list or is it just a rehash of the Bold to make it compliant with the CDMA system in Canada and the U.S.?

I think I'll leave it there, give you all time to digest the catch 22 I'm in!
    12-19-08 04:58 PM
    The Javelin is the GSM Curve and the Jupiter will be the CDMA variant of the Curve and will supposedly be Rev 0.

The Niagara will be running the same chipset as the Storm so it will be Quad band GSM, CDMA Rev A, and I'm not sure yet on the GSM 3G bands maybe only 2100mhz because of the same chipset as the Storm but that's all up in the air. It will likely be possible to unlock the Niagara for use on GSM frequencies like the Storm as well but it is all speculation at this point Hope this helps you nutterberry.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-20-08 11:48 PM
    The Javelin is the GSM Curve and the Jupiter will be the CDMA variant of the Curve and will supposedly be Rev 0.

The Niagara will be running the same chipset as the Storm so it will be Quad band GSM, CDMA Rev A, and I'm not sure yet on the GSM 3G bands maybe only 2100mhz because of the same chipset as the Storm but that's all up in the air. It will likely be possible to unlock the Niagara for use on GSM frequencies like the Storm as well but it is all speculation at this point Hope this helps you nutterberry.

Thanks for your help. Think I'm just gong to get the 8900s for my upgrades next week. Tried one out yesterday and it is awesome. All the attendants in the store could not take their eyes off it. It had only come in that day and was the first one out of the box.
    12-21-08 01:42 AM
    whats the difference with rev a and 0?
    12-21-08 04:30 AM
    I was excited for storm however the niagra or cdma bold would turn me on more, I enjoy my physical keyboard.

12-21-08 01:59 PM
    whats the difference with rev a and 0?
    Just download speeds. Rev A is faster then Rev 0
    12-22-08 07:43 PM
    I'll probably sell my storm for it once it comes out and have to buy it at retail but hopefully I'll get some decent bang for my storm.
    12-23-08 04:43 AM
    I am definitely anxiously waiting ... for some reason, I have no interest in the storm.
    01-04-09 11:32 AM
    I'm waiting as well!

01-04-09 12:18 PM
    I tried the storm out for aout a month, went back to my curve. I hope the niagra will be worth the wait. I definetly realized how much I like a physical keyboard while using my storm.

01-04-09 01:16 PM
    Is the Niagara coming out on Verizon? I thought it was only on Sprint>>>???
    01-05-09 06:32 PM
    Is the Niagara coming out on Verizon? I thought it was only on Sprint>>>???
    Verizon WILL be releasing the Niagara alongside Sprint.
    01-05-09 06:42 PM
101 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD