you could always still pay full price. I don't know if there are any ways to pay less if you don't have an upgrade which, honestly, barely does anything for you anyways. I suppose 100 dollars is still 100 dollars, but idk. Its probably going to run 500+ which is really really frustrating. Anyone know any way to get a lower price?
    If my financial situation allows that option, I'd probably do it and keep my Curve as a backup phone. But I'm guessing that's all still a very long time away
    11-28-08 05:09 PM
    yeah.. oh well. It is, but the curve still works like a charm. Even though the storm was sort of a disapointment, it brought me to BB and for that I'm thankful. The hardest thing is that there will always be a newer gadget or phone, no matter when you get the new one for you haha. Welcome to the tech world ><
    11-28-08 05:31 PM
    My first Blackberry was going to be the Storm....then after months of waiting I actually tried it with unfortunate results. My 2 year contract is up this month and my current phone is barely kicking. I don't know if I'll like the Niagara, but I know I don't like the Storm. I decided to buy a cheap 8830 on Ebay to hold me over until the Niagara is released. I figure it gives me 6+ months of enjoyment and experience before I use my NE2 on my next phone. I'm far too cheap to pay full retail for one of these devices, so this seemed like the next logical step.
    Last edited by stevedils; 11-28-08 at 08:43 PM.
    11-28-08 08:33 PM
    seems logical to me too
    11-28-08 10:59 PM
    I'll be on board for sure. I'm eligible for an upgrade on 12/17, but I'll keep my Curve until such time as Verizon sees fit to throw a Niagra my way.
    11-28-08 11:01 PM
    as attracting as the storm is i just cant give up the shortcuts that i have come accustom to on my curve. i will defiantly be holding out for the Niagara or jupiter
    11-29-08 02:34 PM
    if the niagra looks anything like the one on the front page, I think it looks HOT! Like a smaller verion of the bold with outside lines and curves of a storm which I like a lot!

But overall I think it looks very nice! Then again, I dont know if thats what their shooting for for a final product...
    11-29-08 02:40 PM
    Well I went in and spent about 40 minutes playing with the Storm and HATED it. I did not like the on screen keyboard, and I was not impressed overall. That sealed my deal and I will stick with my curve until the next round of BB come out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-29-08 04:31 PM
    I'm in the same boat as all you guys. I followed the Storm since the first info was leaked then played with it and found that I preferred my keyboard shortcuts over a touchscreen. I'll be sticking it out for the Niagara.

With that being said just like civic said it will have WiFi and be the 8830 replacement and will be a worldphone like the Storm is but from what I've read the Jupiter is going to have Rev 0 and maybe no WiFi but I don't remember reading if the Jupiter would have it. Personally I'd be willing to shell out the extra bucks for WiFi if the Jupiter doesn't have it.

11-29-08 08:03 PM
    Yes, i'll be thrilled if the Niagara is a world phone!

i know nothing about wifi...can GPS run off of wifi? So if i have no signal with my VZ Navigator, would the wifi signal pick up and continue navigation?

11-29-08 08:12 PM
    Def waiting for the Niagra here!!
    11-29-08 08:26 PM
    World phone, unlocked gps?, high def screen like the bold, wifi, bestest speed with EVDO? Its for me!

11-29-08 09:00 PM
    @chrisy520 - yes it will be a world phone because its going to replace the 8830 which is already a world phone

Also about the GPS running off WiFi I believe it will work but won't be able to determine your location like with cell towers. It will be like Google Maps and you can probaby search for areas and will likely have to input your start location. To me this is how I think it should work but there's no telling how it'll work until it comes out.

11-29-08 09:31 PM
    are u sure its going to replace the world phone??? I thought niagra was the CDMA version of the GSM javelin which ended up being the BB curve 8900.
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 11-29-08 at 10:30 PM.
    11-29-08 10:24 PM
    @ricanmedic
    I think that's the currently named javelin/jupiter?

11-30-08 07:02 AM
    hmmm, anyone have more insight on this issue? I even seen a page that said the niagra was going to be a CDMA version of the bold. A lot of misleading info out there...
    11-30-08 09:31 AM
    are u sure its going to replace the world phone??? I thought niagra was the CDMA version of the GSM javelin which ended up being the BB curve 8900.
    From what I've read, you are correct.
    11-30-08 09:55 AM
    I will be getting a curve sometime before Christmas and now dont want to use my NE2 becuase of the Niagara. If I but a used BB curve off of ebay can I still get insurance on it?
    11-30-08 10:10 AM
    Yup the Niagara is the CDMA Bold and the Jupiter is the CDMA Javelin. There is a blog on the cb front page if you look for it posted back in October. Also C_X has confirmed it as well.

12-01-08 01:09 AM
    I will be getting a curve sometime before Christmas and now dont want to use my NE2 becuase of the Niagara. If I but a used BB curve off of ebay can I still get insurance on it?
    No, insurance can only be added to new phones purchased from Verizon Wireless.
    12-01-08 01:14 AM
    I am extremely happy with the storm however it would not be out of consideration to get the niagra.. I never limit my possibility's

there is no doubt that the current BOLD is a work horse and nice device...

I will have to see how the storm pans out in the long run..

I really do enjoy having touch screen phones.
    I am in the same boat- got the Storm, love it- due for another upgrade in April so I am thinking I will get the niagra WHENEVER it comes out.
    12-01-08 01:23 AM
    The more I think about it, the more the release date of "May 2009" seems too far off. There is just way too much time between new Blackberries coming out on VZW. Verizon isn't going to get something equivalent to the Bold until May 2009. That doesn't sound ridiculous to any of you?
    Yeah, I think about my experience owning an 8830. I got it relatively early in its release (got it in July 07, I think it came out in May 07) That thing is already EOLed for all intents and purposes. No 4.5 and a paltry 24mb of free memory AFTER being optimized and stripped of everything.

Think about the Curve. Yeah, it's a great phone, but the Curve in general is OLD news and was old news when it launched on CDMA networks. 100mb of memory and a processor at half the speed of current-gen BBs.

I'm considering jumping ship to ATT because CDMA berries are released so much later and while "newest" isn't always "best" it's frustrating to get phones that are, for all intents and purposes, half-obsolete at launch.

The only thing holding me back with Verizon is the quality of the network.
    Last edited by ds28; 12-02-08 at 10:54 PM.
    12-02-08 10:49 PM
    Yeah, I think about my experience owning an 8830. I got it relatively early in its release (got it in July 07, I think it came out in May 07) That thing is already EOLed for all intents and purposes. No 4.5 and a paltry 24mb of free memory AFTER being optimized and stripped of everything.

Think about the Curve. Yeah, it's a great phone, but the Curve in general is OLD news and was old news when it launched on CDMA networks. 100mb of memory and a processor at half the speed of current-gen BBs.

I'm considering jumping ship to ATT because CDMA berries are released so much later and while "newest" isn't always "best" it's frustrating to get phones that are, for all intents and purposes, half-obsolete at launch.

The only thing holding me back with Verizon is the quality of the network.
    Yeah, I think you'd better check your facts before you say anything else.

The 8330 CDMA Curve actualy launched with 96MB of memory as apposed to 64MB which is what all the other Curves 83xx GSM models came with. The 8330 also was the first to come out with OS4.3 (added streaming support for YouTube). Also, the 8330, 8130, 8830 all have the same Qualcomm MSM7xxx series chipset/cpu in them, not slower then the GSM counterparts. Reboot a CDMA 8x30 and then reboot an 8xxx GSM version. You tell me which one takes more to boot. (I know, not a perfect test, but they are faster on the hardware level)

As for you not having OS4.5 on your 8830... well, that's your fault. I agree with you, it sucks that the carriers don't want to put 4.5 on it, but honestly, that's a lot to do with the fact that it's limited on memory. You generally loose a few more MB of space on CDMA then you do on GSM when the OS is loaded, but really... if you wanted 4.5, just load it now.

Now, as for the stats on the new Niagra (supposedly the Bold equivalent, if you want to call it that) MSM7600 chipset, 256MB Flash, OS4.7, WiFi, and expected world capabilities since it's the 7600 chipset, but that hasn't been spoken word just yet. As you can see, a bit more then what the AT&T Bold had under its belt. I'll take 256MB of flash anyway... in retrospect, I'd still have my Storm now if it had that much memory.
    12-02-08 11:34 PM
    Great post, JRSCCivic98!

12-03-08 06:11 AM
    Back from the storm. Just returned my storm after 2 weeks of trying really really hard to like the darn thing. It just really really wanted both hands at the same time and one at the time is all i am giving a phone. Where are the details on this rumored Niagra.
    12-05-08 08:14 PM
101 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD