05-26-08 10:26 PM
67 123
tools
    I think I mustve gotten the two posts above me mixed up since the other mentioned the garmin, sorry! And you are right about the pucks, for some reason, it didn't even come to mind! Maybe I will get one in the future, but for the moment ill have to stick with vz nav. I do think its ridiculous that they disabled gps just so they could make more money- I believe that should be illegal. But at the moment, unless I go out and get a puck, ill be stuck with it$

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-01-08 05:27 AM
    Oh and we can still be friends of course =)

05-01-08 06:18 AM
    I don't see an issue paying $10/mo for VZ Nav. That isn't unlike paying the same cost for Telenav or Garmin's similar service.

What I DO have an issue with us it costs $10 to unlock a feature they specifically disabled on a device I purchased and they prevent you from making a choice on which product to use.

To me it is anti competitive.

05-01-08 06:39 AM
    I don't see an issue paying $10/mo for VZ Nav. That isn't unlike paying the same cost for Telenav or Garmin's similar service.

What I DO have an issue with us it costs $10 to unlock a feature they specifically disabled on a device I purchased and they prevent you from making a choice on which product to use.

To me it is anti competitive.

Exactly.....
    05-01-08 08:40 AM
    I think a better analogy would be something like asking a laptop or PC maker to sell you the system without an operating system. You want to use the hardware that they sell without the software they want to provide. Go ahead and try to find that out there in the market.

You can get laptops and Pc's without a OS. I did it when i did desktop support. we ghosted all machines before hitting end users. Maybe only buisness accounts can get them without OS but it is possible
    05-01-08 08:41 AM
    Remember when microsoft was sued for creating a monopoly and the issue was brought up about them putting internet explorer in all of their windows operating systems and not including netscape.

I think this issue is very similar.

There are several reasons to not use vz navigator

1) GPS on phone sucks cause its hard to use when you are driving, and very unsafe
    2) It's 10 bucks a month
    3) Don't give in
    4) 120 bucks a year, you can buy a real GPS device for 169 and guess what, you now own something(why rent a ****ty apt when you can buy a house for the same price)
    Last edited by KeithF40; 05-01-08 at 09:01 AM. Reason: typo
    05-01-08 08:58 AM
    Well if you get it for free thats a different story and renting a GPS is also completely absurd.

How do you think renters make money, they buy something and then collect more money from renting than it cost them to buy it.

You cannot use your cell phone while driving in NY and NJ, the only two states I am ever in, so Im assuming that means you cant use your VZ nav either. It is dangerous to be looking at a cell phone for directions when driving. A GPS device is also dangerous but not nearly as dangerous, that is enough of a reason to not use VZ nav.

If I drove that much and needed GPS I would just buy a GPS device, VZ nav is just too much of a hassle to deal with compared to a real GPS device.

I have a GPS device and when I find myself without it, like in a friends car, Ill use google maps
    05-01-08 10:45 AM
    Well if you get it for free thats a different story and renting a GPS is also completely absurd.

How do you think renters make money, they buy something and then collect more money from renting than it cost them to buy it.

You cannot use your cell phone while driving in NY and NJ, the only two states I am ever in, so Im assuming that means you cant use your VZ nav either. It is dangerous to be looking at a cell phone for directions when driving. A GPS device is also dangerous but not nearly as dangerous, that is enough of a reason to not use VZ nav.

If I drove that much and needed GPS I would just buy a GPS device, VZ nav is just too much of a hassle to deal with compared to a real GPS device.

I have a GPS device and when I find myself without it, like in a friends car, Ill
    use google maps
    With all do respect, I am wondering if you have ever used VZ Nav? I don't understand how you reference a GPS is safer. VZ Nav has Voice turn-by-turn directions. I never even look at my phone while using it. Before I leave I enter my destination, then "Michelle" prompts my trip the same way Garmin or Tom Tom does. Google maps is awesome, yet poses the biggest safety threat as I have to keep looking at the map. I just don't see the negative in how VZ Nav functions. Mine works as well as any GPS system I have ever used and is just as safe.

NY/NJ are not in my territory. If I understand your statement, it is against the law to use your cell while driving there? If that is the concern, you can absulutely use VZ Nav. Before leaving for your destination, enter it. Then set you phone down in the console and let "Michelle" tell you your directions. If you don't have access to VZ Nav in those two states, well then that is a different story.
    05-01-08 11:30 AM
    Keep it Clean Please. Take any personal stuff out of the conversation/debate. Thanks!
    05-01-08 12:32 PM
    Remember when microsoft was sued for creating a monopoly and the issue was brought up about them putting internet explorer in all of their windows operating systems and not including netscape.

I think this issue is very similar.

There are several reasons to not use vz navigator

1) GPS on phone sucks cause its hard to use when you are driving, and very unsafe
    2) It's 10 bucks a month
    3) Don't give in
    4) 120 bucks a year, you can buy a real GPS device for 169 and guess what, you now own something(why rent a ****ty apt when you can buy a house for the same price)
    That's actually a good way to look at it.
    05-01-08 01:40 PM
    So if i pay for VZNav will my gps be turned on so i could use Googlemaps?
    05-01-08 01:52 PM
    Apparently not. See post #35 and #43 in this thread. I had the same question.
    Last edited by JeffH; 05-01-08 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Added ref to post 43
    05-01-08 02:07 PM
    No, it will not.

05-01-08 02:09 PM
    sorry must have missed that. oh well : (
    05-01-08 03:48 PM
    You know what is even better than GPS, knowing where you are going.
    05-01-08 04:41 PM
    brilliant post! perhaps a lesson in economics is in order.

its a verizon phone...it may be made by blackberry....but it's made for verizon. they can charge whatever they like. you can pay it or not. it's america.

clue: you will always pay extra for verizon because they have the best network and they know it.

fact: i don't have vznav and don't care to...unless i ever have a need for walking gps.
    I loved it -- i had it on my chocolate before I got my bb. I used it every single day for my job. Only problem is, I got dumb. When there were outages (not that often), I couldnt find my way around at all. I wasn't able to remember where anything was. Now that I have my bb, im not really interested in paying another friggin fee, so im just using the preloaded maps.

Reason for the quote -- i have had every other carrier at some point in time, and have been with verizon the longest. They DO have the best network. When I was with cingular (before ATT), they had the rollover minutes. I only had like 600 mins on my plan and every month i had 450 mins roll over because i was never able to get service. at the end of the year, i had like 3000 mins that i lost. Total BS.

Oh and vz nav for pedestrians is ********.

Sorry got off on a tangent there.
    05-03-08 04:14 PM
    I use VZNav. works great, but would still like the GPS to be unlocked. Heck I would pay the 10 bucks just to have it unlocked.
    I would pay ten bucks per month to have the gps unlocked!

I geocache and there is software that would work on my Pearl if the gps was enabled. VZNavigator does not navigate by coordinates which is crucial for geocaching, so I juggle my Blackberry that has cache info and hints, and a handheld GPS unit when I am out in the wild looking for caches. How nice it would be to carry one unit!
    05-26-08 10:26 PM
67 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD