05-26-08 11:26 PM
67 123
tools
    I use VZNav. works great, but would still like the GPS to be unlocked. Heck I would pay the 10 bucks just to have it unlocked.
    04-25-08 11:15 AM
    I use VZNav. works great, but would still like the GPS to be unlocked. Heck I would pay the 10 bucks just to have it unlocked.
    I use an external GPS. Subscribing to VZNav is not an option for me, since my employer provides the phone and the service plan. I had just assumed, though, that if I could subscribe to VZNav, the GPS would be unlocked for third party apps use as well. Are you saying it is not?
    04-25-08 11:43 AM
    Now there's an idea that verizon could employ and make some extra cash, if not a continuing monthly flow of $10/user. Since a number of us have gone the puck route, we were clearly willing to pay something to have a gps with the BB. So verizon could unlock the gps for a one-time fee. I might consider that since it would remove one extra device to carry around and one extra device to charge.

Not that they appear to care but I like that idea.

PS: as for USING the verizon network and having to pay for it - with Trekbuddy and another program, you can use a gps without any need for the data or the verizon network. You can download maps on a desktop computer, load them on an SD card and use just the gps which was included in the phone - that costs verizon nothing and puts no additional strain on their network.
    Last edited by F2; 04-25-08 at 12:02 PM.
    04-25-08 11:59 AM
    Using your example, it would be like buying a DELL computer that comes with a built-in Ethernet card and having to pay DELL extra in order to use the Internet with ANY provider. Imagine calling up DELL support and saying you know there's an Ethernet jack in your PC, but you can't seem to get your OS to use it. Then DELL customer service says, for $10/mo we can enable the Ethernet card that is in the computer you purchased.
    /shrug Whatever analogy you want is fine. I'm not saying I like the way that Verizon clamps down on GPS (and you can extend that to the way they cripple Bluetooth as well) -- I don't. I'm just saying that it's a business decision they make based on a larger overall strategy, and that you have a few options available for dealing with it: go with a different carrier, subscribe to VZ Navigator either as-needed or monthly, buy a separate GPS unit, and so on. The option of expressing anger at Verizon in this forum is likely to be much less effective than any of those.
    04-25-08 02:06 PM
    As many of the folks that posted here, I already have an external BT GPS. We made a decision. It doesn't mean we like having to make the decision in the first place. That's the beef. It is less convenient and an additional cost that isn't necessary.

Of course it is a business decision but it isn't a 'network' decision.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-25-08 02:46 PM
    I've used it for a little over a year now on several devices and it's great. I use it everyday. When I'm not using it for actual navigation, I use it to look up phone numbers of various businesses. It's very convenient and works well. I have nothing but good things to say about it. I do, however, wish that VZW didn't lock the GPS to have only VZWNAv, but I don't know any other Voice Activated Turn by Turn GPS Navigation System that is free.
    04-25-08 03:48 PM
    I've used VZNav for a couple of years and love it! It's so worth the $9.99/mo for me with all the travel I do for my business.
    04-25-08 06:05 PM
    amAze is a free BB turn by turn with voice application.

04-25-08 07:30 PM
    subscribe to VZ Navigator either as-needed or monthly.
    There is no "as-needed". Because VZW has no "Get it Now" support for Blackberries, you cannot opt for the "per day" option of VZNav. You can only have the monthly option.
    04-26-08 12:27 AM
    I use an external GPS. Subscribing to VZNav is not an option for me, since my employer provides the phone and the service plan. I had just assumed, though, that if I could subscribe to VZNav, the GPS would be unlocked for third party apps use as well. Are you saying it is not?
    You are correct- you can't use a 3rd party app even if you subscribe. If there is a way, I can't figure out how to do it. You can't switch out of VZ NAV when you're in it, you either use it or have to close the program, so I couldn't open it and use another program, which is what I was hoping. But the VZ Nav works well for my needs!

Yeah it sucks, but I didn't want to buy a dongle, and I didn't want to switch carriers(I know we shouldn't have to) because I live in a rural area and verizon gets the best service here.
    04-28-08 08:32 PM
    You are correct- you can't use a 3rd party app even if you subscribe. If there is a way, I can't figure out how to do it. You can't switch out of VZ NAV when you're in it, you either use it or have to close the program, so I couldn't open it and use another program, which is what I was hoping. But the VZ Nav works well for my needs!
    Can you try the steps listed at http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...tml#post907853

I'd be amazed you can't, as an example, take a call or read an email with VZ Nav active.
    04-28-08 09:51 PM
    Can you try the steps listed at http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...tml#post907853

I'd be amazed you can't, as an example, take a call or read an email with VZ Nav active.
    It appears from my experience with BBMaps, Nav4All, and GMM, that only one program at a time can lock the GPS. GMM does not lock the GPS, that's why it won't stay connected. BBMaps does lock the GPS. So you can start BBMaps, start the GPS, get a lock, then leave BBMaps running in the background and start GMM and it'll use the GPS data. Or you can start Nav4All, let it lock the GPS, then switch to GMM. But you can't switch from BBMaps to Nav4All, because only one program can be controlling the GPS. So it is very possible that you could let VZNav run in the background and use the GPS with GMM, but not with BBMaps or Nav4All.
    04-28-08 10:55 PM
    Hmm very interesting! Ill try those steps and report back soon, hopefully they work, I'm interested to see what happens.

04-28-08 11:06 PM
    Alright, well the app switcher on the convience key definitely worked which I'm very happy about, so now I can actually get my messages while I'm navigating instead of watching the endlessly blinking red light torture me!
    Okay, but now which map application do I need to download in order to see if the gps will work?

04-28-08 11:11 PM
    Google Maps Mobile 2.0.3. If it can't read the GPS, you get positions to within 1700m. If it can read the GPS, 3m. You download it OTA from your blackberry. On your bb, go to Google and there will be a link to GMM.
    04-28-08 11:15 PM
    Well, I went ahead and followed those steps- but google maps was using the cell towers and not the gps. It did switch out correctly, but it didn't register the gps. Now, I had to start the program before I opened vz nav, so that it would be in the app switcher. Would it make a difference if GMM was opened after I opened VZ nav? If it would, then is there a way to do that through the app switcher?

04-29-08 06:16 AM
    To launch GMM after VZNav, App switch while running VZNav, select the desktop icon, and from the desktop launch GMM.

Alternatively, you could run GMM, App Switch, run VZNav, then app switch back to GMM. I don't know why that wouldn't work, but I don't have VZNav to test.

Make sure you have all the permissions in GMM set to allow. You do that in Options/Advanced options/Applications. Select GMM and press the menu key, then edit permissions.

04-29-08 09:32 AM
    To launch GMM after VZNav, App switch while running VZNav, select the desktop icon, and from the desktop launch GMM.

Alternatively, you could run GMM, App Switch, run VZNav, then app switch back to GMM. I don't know why that wouldn't work, but I don't have VZNav to test.

Make sure you have all the permissions in GMM set to allow. You do that in Options/Advanced options/Applications. Select GMM and press the menu key, then edit permissions.

This doesn't work Jeff, don't spread the fud. No 3rd party apps can interface with the GPS on the 8830, this trick doesn't work either. Actually, the 3rd party apps can interface with the GPS chipset onboard, it's just that the app doesn't give the chipset the correct PDE IP and Port to get the info from the servers for the GPS position. Currently VZW has it set to where the app must pass this info to get the data it needs. Only VZNav has this information programmed into it.
    04-29-08 12:58 PM
    JRSCCivic98: Thanks for the correction. I hate to be the source of bad info. That's the problem with positing "should-work" solutions when you don't have the actual hardware and software to test. My bad.

04-29-08 01:06 PM
    Hey, its all good, you at least got me to be able to switch apps and check my messages while in VZ nav, thanks!!

04-29-08 01:25 PM
    VZ Navigator blows. Get a garmin nuvi.
    04-29-08 10:50 PM
    10 bucks a month when you can get a gps for a couple hundred. Ridiculous if you are in dire need use google maps. If you have multiple cars then you can afford multiple gps devices haha.
    Last edited by cate; 05-01-08 at 01:24 PM. Reason: cleaning up
    04-30-08 12:43 AM
    You know it would take me 2-3 years at 10/month to pay off a GPS like a garmin nuvi, so I'm actually better of with just using VZ Navigator at the moment. If you don't like it, that's fine, but you don't have to put down other people that do- everybody has their reasons, and their reasons might be different than yours.

Can't we all just get along?

=)
    Last edited by cate; 05-01-08 at 01:28 PM. Reason: cleaning up
    04-30-08 12:07 PM
    No one is comparing VZNav to a Garmin. Bluetooth pucks are way less then that. Some less the $100. Corporate America has you brainwashed hutch34.
    04-30-08 03:38 PM
    Im not saying you arent a good person and we cant be friends but there is really no reason to get VZ navigator. The audacity of them to disable the bb gps and then charge me 10 bucks for theirs which I dont even want anyway. Blah. Google maps and a real GPS device are the way to go by far, if you have a bb and are paying 30 a month for the data I cant imagine you being that bad off that you cant pay 300 or even less for a decent GPS device.
    05-01-08 05:37 AM
67 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD