View Poll Results: Have you had or have a BB w/o a data plan?

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I have

10 11.49%
  • No, Praise unlimited data

77 88.51%
04-12-09 10:10 PM
83 1234
tools
    Just to echo what everyone has said, Verizon will not activate a blackberry without a data plan. If you really want a blackberry without a data plan, it sounds like you will have to switch networks. If I'm not mistaken, AT&T and probably T-Mobile will let you have a blackberry without a data plan. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by redsoxrocker; 03-24-09 at 11:51 PM.
    03-11-09 09:20 PM
    Just to echo what everyone has said, Verizon will not activate a phone without a data plan. If you really want a blackberry without a data plan, it sounds like you will have to switch networks. If I'm not mistaken, AT&T and probably T-Mobile will let you have a blackberry without a data plan. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't know about everyone else on T-Mobile, but *I* was told that I could not have a BB without a data plan. Someone else may have gotten away with it, I just don't understand why you would want to.

03-11-09 09:27 PM
    Just to echo what everyone has said, Verizon will not activate a phone without a data plan. If you really want a blackberry without a data plan, it sounds like you will have to switch networks. If I'm not mistaken, AT&T and probably T-Mobile will let you have a blackberry without a data plan. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    You are correct. T-Mobile definitely & I get different stories about AT&T.

The best I can determine is if you had a BlackBerry on AT&T for awhile, you can go without a plan & new cutomers must get a plan.

Supposedly RIM is really pushing for all carriers to require data plans, following VZW's lead. If they don't, the subsidies and possibly the phones will be reduced or eliminated.

03-11-09 09:29 PM
    You are correct. T-Mobile definitely & I get different stories about AT&T.

Read my above post.

03-11-09 09:33 PM
    I don't know about everyone else on T-Mobile, but *I* was told that I could not have a BB without a data plan. Someone else may have gotten away with it, I just don't understand why you would want to.
    No kidding - if you have a WiFi BlackBerry, your device only works part time & not securely. If you have a non-WiFi model (any CDMA device) you have an expensive enV with a crappy music interface.

Without data, there isn't a whole lot a BlackBerry will do that a decent QWERTY dumbphone can't do.

03-11-09 09:34 PM
    No kidding - if you have a WiFi BlackBerry, your device only works part time & not securely. If you have a non-WiFi model (any CDMA device) you have an expensive enV with a crappy music interface.

Without data, there isn't a whole lot a BlackBerry will do that a decent QWERTY dumbphone can't do.

I agree. When I first contacted T-mobile about a BB, I asked if I could get it without data. Not knowing what I would miss out on having never owned a BB before. Now I understand, and think that they should all be required to have data.

What's the point of companies selling BBs at a discount or even giving them away, if they are going to take a loss in profits over it?

If they don't want a BB with data, they can always gor for the JITTERBUG!

03-11-09 09:48 PM

Your right about AT&T. I know because I have a BB with AT&T with NO DATA plan.
    03-11-09 10:06 PM
    Yes on ATT and TMO no need for a Data Plan( I am a manager at Wireless Advocates where we sell TMO, ATT and VZW) If you were told differantly by a Tmobile rep it is because they wanted feature pay. also it could be that the Mail in rebate you have requires a data plan
    03-11-09 11:26 PM
    Okie dokie, coming from someone that owns an authorized retailer for Verizon Wireless, here's the dealio:

If you previously had a smart phone and did not the data plan on you account, then you donnot have to add it. If you ever do, you will not be able to take it off.

Verizon started requiring data plans w/smartphones about 3-5 months ago. The reason is simple: more revenue.

Why don't other carriers do it? Why does T-Mobile have wifi and Verizon doesn't? The answer to this is simple as well: They don't have a sufficient network to back it up; Verizon does!

Oh and if you find someone at Verizon Corp that is willing to, you might be able to get a "block data" or "pay per use data" feature added to your plan instead of the unlimited $29.99 unlimited data feature (which is a lot better compared to what it use to be ($44.99)). I'm sure the features exist; you'd just have to find someone high enough to add it. I'm guessing tier 2 or higher tech support.
    Last edited by Th3Pr0ph3cy; 03-12-09 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Added a lil sumthin sumthin'.
    03-12-09 06:29 PM
    The person who adds it would have to have vision access (our old billing system) which has been retired. In our new billing system the feature has a DAC edit hard stop if someone attempts to do it.

Again, they're talking about blackberries here. Verizon has always (if I remember correctly) required data plans for blackberries. Any other smartphone/pda launched AFTER 11/14/2008 now require data plans.
    03-12-09 06:41 PM
    Hello, I am new here to cb and looking into getting a BB pearl but dont really want to pay the data plan. So if YOU HAVE SUCCESSFULLY HAD A BB W/O A DATA PLAN please post how you did so and how long have you been with out a data plan. Thanks!
    I'm not going to bother reading the whole thread, just give my input: a blackberry without a data plan is foolish. As a Verizon Wireless Authorized Agent, I see alot of people who want it for cosmetic usage only- and that is a waste of a Blackberry, tbh.

Just suck it up and get the data. If you can't afford it (and there's nothing wrong with that), get a regular phone. Blackberry's not Blackberry without the data.
    03-13-09 12:01 PM
    That's one thing I don't get about Verizon! You haave to pay an extra fee in order to own a certain phone? That seems stupid if you ask me! If you're willing to shell out the money to pay for the phone, where do they come off telling you can't use iit without the data plan? Stupid!!!

The reason for this is because if it didnt require the data plan, people wouldnt pay for it. but then call in and WIGGGGG out over the uber high data charges. You cannot have a BB with out using data.
    Thats why I think its dumb that VZW doesnt require a data plan for Moto Q (GAG) and wonder why we are forever getting calls into tech support and customer care with angry moms wanting to know why their 14yr olds line has $250 of data on it.
    Whats easier??? $30 a month for unlimited or $250 here $500 there... hmmm
    BIG conflict there.
    Sides, if you get a blackberry but dont want data.. WHY do you want a blackberry!?!?!?!
    03-13-09 02:06 PM
    That's one thing I don't get about Verizon! You haave to pay an extra fee in order to own a certain phone? That seems stupid if you ask me! If you're willing to shell out the money to pay for the phone, where do they come off telling you can't use iit without the data plan? Stupid!!!

Um...ever hear of the iphone? Data is required on the iphone too. It has been said before, but I will re-iterate....The point of these phones is for email and web usage. To own the phone without the intention of the using those features is contrary to the purpose of the phone.
    03-13-09 11:06 PM
    Um...ever hear of the iphone? Data is required on the iphone too. It has been said before, but I will re-iterate....The point of these phones is for email and web usage. To own the phone without the intention of the using those features is contrary to the purpose of the phone.
    Wait! You mean when I go out and buy my new car instead of a bicycle, besides gas, I should also be expected to pay for maintenance, insurance & registration, too? Blasphemy I say! What a ripoff!

Paying $29.99 extra for a BlackBerry on VZW is a bargain compared to $30 extra for anything on AT&T.
    03-13-09 11:26 PM
    I have a 8320 and using just wi-fi has been successful. I have a lot of wi-fi apps like BBWeather, Jivetalk, AP News, FlyCast, BBTran, Opera mini, LogicMail. It's good and all but the plan, of course, is better to use internet anywhere.
    03-14-09 09:38 AM
    I have a 8320 and using just wi-fi has been successful. I have a lot of wi-fi apps like BBWeather, Jivetalk, AP News, FlyCast, BBTran, Opera mini, LogicMail. It's good and all but the plan, of course, is better to use internet anywhere.
    And if this works for you, great. The problem is that WiFi isn't even an option on CDMA BlackBerrys. There seems to be various reasons for this, but regardless, it is non-existent.

BTW - for anyone cross-shopping... more on this subject here.
    03-14-09 02:06 PM
    blackberries are solid phones. i have had several bb. now i understand why you would want a blackberry and not want data. it is an attractive phone and usually has a full qwerty keyboard. the style of the phone are nice and the phones are extremely loud. i wish verizon allowed no data. i sit near a computer all day so i don't need the data but i like the phone.

03-14-09 05:22 PM
    I ordered a blackberry pearl off of ebay.
    On another website someone had said that they added the data plan, but then deleted it after one month and it "worked like a champ"..?
    I know everyone is asking the same question, blah, blah, blah, but has anyone else truly found a way to cancel the data plan on thier account?
    03-22-09 06:53 PM
    Yeah. Get rid of the blackberry. That's all there is to it.

03-22-09 06:58 PM
    Since you are with VZW and if you call in to remove the data plan it will not happen PERIOD!, it is required to have one by VZW. Welcome to CB and enjoy the party
    03-22-09 06:58 PM
    You can add, then delete the data plan on AT&T or T-Mobile. You cannot do it on VZW or Sprint. Any BlackBerry is required to have data on a CDMA carrier.

Without a data plan, your BlackBerry operation would be far more costly without it, simply because of how BlackBerry interacts with CDMA.

Pretty much, you call VZW to cancel data and they will deactivate your BlackBerry and require you to put a dumbphone on the line.

03-22-09 07:01 PM
    I do know with Verizon you must have the BB Data plan... other carriers I am not sure... but it is kind of pointless to get a pda type phone w/o the data (email/web) plan. People can stick to a keyboard type of phone if they want to text, or you can look at other phones that offer you maybe an HTML web browser for a lower free or pay as you go usage.
    03-23-09 11:23 PM
    I am with most people here, why would you bother getting a blackberry without a data plan. Makes no sense whatsoever. Don't get me wrong, I like my BB Curve but I wouldn't want if I was not going to use the features.
    03-24-09 07:15 AM
    I do know with Verizon you must have the BB Data plan... other carriers I am not sure... but it is kind of pointless to get a pda type phone w/o the data (email/web) plan. People can stick to a keyboard type of phone if they want to text, or you can look at other phones that offer you maybe an HTML web browser for a lower free or pay as you go usage.
    Amen! get an LG VERSA it comes with a detachable keyboard and has mobile email for $5 a month! plus vcast has tons of apps for people that don't want or cannot pay the price that is associated with a blackberry. Hey I know its expensive I work for vzw and my bill is bigger than yours I can guarantee! lol so take a look as some of the other options. because pay as you go is not stable. I have had people in tears when I took escalated calls because there kid or family member played with there phone..never closed out of the browser and now they have a $600 bill! IT IS TOTALLY POINTLESS TO HAVE A BB/PDA AND NO DATA PLAN!
    03-24-09 11:10 PM
    Its mandatory when you buy a BB or smartphone through verizon. You must select a data package! It sucks, but at least they have good service
    03-24-09 11:14 PM
83 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD