View Poll Results: Have you had or have a BB w/o a data plan?

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I have

10 11.49%
  • No, Praise unlimited data

77 88.51%
04-12-09 10:10 PM
83 1234
tools
    "i called them up on the phone, it took me many many tries, but then someone told me to do this, and they eventually got it. Say you want a data plan, because technically you have to have one, this is just a pay as you go, and it's for international data, making it work. A little weird they dont put it out on the table, but its a nice secret." heres some more
    03-10-09 11:22 PM
    Let them try to order it. It will not process. Call back again and see what you get when you find a rep who knows what they are doing.

Or, do a trial order at the VZW site. See if you can get it without the data plan.

My ex-girlfriend is a manager at the Chandler, AZ VZW site. She'll be thrilled to hear someone told you wrong.

Look - you can ask all you want - it is kind of childish to ask the same question 20 times hoping someone will give you an answer you want to hear. The end result is in the order. The VZW site will tell you that a data plan is required and no floor rep can override policy.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-10-09 11:45 PM
    Hello, I am new here to cb and looking into getting a BB pearl but dont really want to pay the data plan. So if YOU HAVE SUCCESSFULLY HAD A BB W/O A DATA PLAN please post how you did so and how long have you been with out a data plan. Thanks!
    A Pearl, huh? CDMA only.

i dont really like the whole touch screen aspect, i like how the BB pearl feels, text, features and more. I think it is a very great phone, i would use the browser but i dont currently have a job so i wouldnt be able to afford a BB...
    A Pearl & no job, huh? It is CDMA only.

When purchasing a blackberry. A data plan will auto associate with the new phone. Most vzw store representatives will NOT know that you can remove it still have full functionality. A quick call to VZW (611 from the phone) you can have the Data and Regional Data plan removed. With no Data plan, the BB can not access the VZW BB servers, therefore no Data usage (per Kilobyte) will be used" "Hmmm well it was on my bill, (just last month)the CSR who put it on my plan spent many minutes with me on hold while she talked to her manager about how I could get around having to spend 24.99 for the cheapest data plan, finally she came back and said well here you go a 9.00 plan but don't go on the net.

It doesn't shock me people haven't heard of a 9.00 plan... must be kinda like the 3 different CSR's I talked to who never heard of the 29.99 unlimited data plan either? " thats wat i found... i have no clue
    There are two add-on data plans - the $29.99 plan and the $44.99 plan. Now I am beginning to suspect you either called a different carrier or you're just pulling our legs.

"i called them up on the phone, it took me many many tries, but then someone told me to do this, and they eventually got it. Say you want a data plan, because technically you have to have one, this is just a pay as you go, and it's for international data, making it work. A little weird they dont put it out on the table, but its a nice secret." heres some more
    You can forget international data - its a pearl you said you want. It is CDMA. The international data plans are for world phones - the 8830WE/9530(Storm) - your Pearl will not run international data as it is a CDMA only device.

As I said before - try ordering one. Get it on the contract, then try to remove the data plan - oops, you already signed the contract and removing the data plan code from the system will also render your beloved Pearl as inoperable on the VZW network. Therefore, you bought a phone that you won't be using and are stuck with the contract that you cannot use because your phone was deactivated. Now you'll have to pick up one of those nifty little LG models, but you'll have to pay full price for it because there are no incentives left for you.

I just confirmed all of this with John Blair, customer service manager in Kirkland, Washington call center.
    03-11-09 12:07 AM
    Well twinsx2dad just owned this thread lol

What I don't get is why you want a BB without data... Doesn't make sense cause without data you can't do the things that make a blackberry moRe than a cell phone...

03-11-09 12:29 AM
    As a VZW Authorized Agent for the past 2 years I can tell you before the pearl came out on VZW there was a pay by MB plan for BB. Now it is required that we add it and it will not allow us to sell a BB with out the plan. Infact it even puts the 44.99 BES plan on there and if the person you are buying your phone from does not catch it you will not onlybe charged 44.99 per month until you catch this you will not be able use a personal email on your phone either.

03-11-09 02:31 AM
    A BlackBerry without a data plan is silly. Why not just have a regular texting phone?
    03-11-09 02:59 PM
    Infact it even puts the 44.99 BES plan on there and if the person you are buying your phone from does not catch it you will not onlybe charged 44.99 per month until you catch this you will not be able use a personal email on your phone either.
    Exactly - from what John told me, order BlackBerry service & the provisioning defaults to BES. It can be changed to BIS or data-only. If none of these are provisioned or if they're removed from the line, no BlackBerry ESN can be provisioned on the line.

Weekendbum, lastraid or Scott - care to confirm for us?

03-11-09 03:13 PM
    A BlackBerry without a data plan is a cell-phone!!!!!
    03-11-09 03:19 PM
    A BlackBerry without a data plan is a cell-phone!!!!!
    A cellphone for poseurs?

03-11-09 03:21 PM
    so could i buy one of ebay then activate it without a data plan since i would not be signing another contract... And i dont really want or need a data plan i dont get why you people just dont understand... it doesnt matter to me i dont check email... i have a computer that is alot better than a BB for internet
    03-11-09 04:58 PM
    I know what you mean. The pearl is the only phone with that type of "qwerty" keyboard. I enjoy texting on it very much, it's form factor is great. There are just too many good things to say about it.

As for Data...when I got my pearl off of ebay, I dialed 611 and had them help me activate it. However, before I was to activate the Pearl on my number, she said I needed to add the BIS service first. I hope that answers your question.
    03-11-09 05:10 PM
    so could i buy one of ebay then activate it without a data plan since i would not be signing another contract... And i dont really want or need a data plan i dont get why you people just dont understand... it doesnt matter to me i dont check email... i have a computer that is alot better than a BB for internet
    Really? Seriously? How many no's do you need? I think everyone is clear on the fact that you want a BB. Just because you want it REALLY badly, doesn't mean the answer will change. Wish in one hand and Sh!t in the other... See which one fills up faster.

03-11-09 05:10 PM
    A Blackberry no matter where you get it MUST have a data plan on VZW. Older smartphones (not blackberry) must be activated with a data plan but the plan can be taken off as soon as you leave the store.
    03-11-09 05:14 PM
    well everyone was saying that when u buy a pearl from the store you have to add data so maybe ebay i could get around idk??
    03-11-09 05:14 PM
    I know what you mean. The pearl is the only phone with that type of "qwerty" keyboard. I enjoy texting on it very much, it's form factor is great. There are just too many good things to say about it.

As for Data...when I got my pearl off of ebay, I dialed 611 and had them help me activate it. However, before I was to activate the Pearl on my number, she said I needed to add the BIS service first. I hope that answers your question.
    thanks for understanding
    03-11-09 05:15 PM
    In my opinion they added the required data plan to all smart phones because data transfers have become seamless.

It used to be you would have to agree a couple times just to access any data consuming app.

Now most of the time nothing. No warning no accepting. It just does it.

I like it better this way. I'm glad these advanced phones require data plans so those idiots don't cry on here saying they have a $800 bill because they didn't know they were transferring data while streaming music from the net on their phone. This happened even when there was a dozen warnings that "Data Charges May Apply"
    03-11-09 05:35 PM
    well everyone was saying that when u buy a pearl from the store you have to add data so maybe ebay i could get around idk??
    Nope - any BlackBerry must have a data plan. No exceptions. It cannot be added, then taken off. And any of the currently available WinMo phones are the same - data plan required or it will cease to function.

It is becoming obvious that you desperately want a Pearl, but your guardian, parental unit or whomever isn't willing to pay for a data plan. Get a job to pay for it yourself (still no guarantee they'll go along) or give up the idea until you can get it on your own.

The simple fact remains that these days, most of the people who have BlackBerrys have them for some perceived notion of status or cool factor. They aren't worth the premium to be that.

03-11-09 05:48 PM
    "Default Answer Found!!!!!!
    I just got off the phone with a customer representative in VZW Arizona Call center.

Me- "I wanted to get some information about Blackberry Data Packages. I don't have a blackberry rite now, but I was wondering what the smallest plan was"

V.R.-"Ok, the first thing I want to let you know is that you DO NOT have to have a data package in order to use the blackberry. The only things that won't work is internet/email, video/picture messaging. "

Me- "So your telling me. I can get a blackberry without a blackberry data package. LOL. Your kidding me. A local representative told me its mandatory and it won't work without it."

V.R- "Nope. You'll have full function of the phone. I swear to God. I just got done doing it 10 minutes ago with another customer."

Me- "Dude, your a Godsend. No one could give me a straight answer since the new Pearl came out for VZW."

SO THERE WE GO....THERES ARE ANSWER!!!!

YOU DO NOT NEED A DATA PACKAGE*

*When purchasing a blackberry. A data plan will auto associate with the new phone. Most vzw store representatives will NOT know that you can remove it still have full functionality. A quick call to VZW (611 from the phone) you can have the Data and Regional Data plan removed. With no Data plan, the BB can not access the VZW BB servers, therefore no Data usage (per Kilobyte) will be used" "Hmmm well it was on my bill, (just last month)the CSR who put it on my plan spent many minutes with me on hold while she talked to her manager about how I could get around having to spend 24.99 for the cheapest data plan, finally she came back and said well here you go a 9.00 plan but don't go on the net.

It doesn't shock me people haven't heard of a 9.00 plan... must be kinda like the 3 different CSR's I talked to who never heard of the 29.99 unlimited data plan either? " thats wat i found... i have no clue
    I don't believe this. It can not be true. There is no $9 Plan. Please PM me this reps name.. or your phone # and the date/time you talked to them so I can forward it over to their sup so they can get re-trained. If you actually received this information this rep needs to be straightened out.

You can not get a blackberry on VzW without a data plan. Period. There is no way around this.
    03-11-09 06:04 PM
    I don't believe this. It can not be true. There is no $9 Plan. Please PM me this reps name.. or your phone # and the date/time you talked to them so I can forward it over to their sup so they can get re-trained. If you actually received this information this rep needs to be straightened out.

You can not get a blackberry on VzW without a data plan. Period. There is no way around this.
    And those are the words of a bonafide, employed-by-VZW guru of all things Red.

03-11-09 06:14 PM
    And those are the words of a bonafide, employed-by-VZW guru of all things Red.

No seriously though. If this rep is really telling people that you can get a BB w/o a data plan. They need some follow up training.
    03-11-09 06:48 PM
    Or a promotion.....to customer.

03-11-09 06:52 PM
    ...a BB w/o a data plan is neutered. I might as well have gotten a regular cell phone. There are some rather nifty ones out *shrug*

The point of getting the BB was the online access.
    03-11-09 08:56 PM
    NOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THERE IS NO WAY..... NONE... NADA....

NOT POSSIBLE
    03-11-09 09:07 PM
    Verizon does not offer a Blackberry w/o a data plan. I asked yesterday for a user who just wanted to use it for his GPS.
    03-11-09 09:11 PM
    No seriously though. If this rep is really telling people that you can get a BB w/o a data plan. They need some follow up training.
    I was being serious - the kid asked several times for a VZW rep and wouldn't listen to me as I wouldn't lie & say I was one. You finally chimed in and I was only pointing out your status.

I can see what that rep might have been up to if not a lack of training - sell the phone & by the time the bill came, the canned & correct answer would have been, "a data plan is required for a smartphone."

Because of this, I'd lean more toward agreeing with your partner in crime below you who said that rep would make a better customer than a rep.

03-11-09 09:16 PM
83 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD