6 14.63%
  • Unconcerned with the technology - I am happy with what I have

11 26.83%
  • Confused - What is LTE?

4 9.76%
10-28-09 05:09 PM
31 12
tools
    We have all of these new phones here or on the way. Reading these pages, it is obvious that people are excited & buying - or planning to buy. Touch Pro2, Omnia2, Imagio, Storm 2, Droid series, possible iPhones and maybe even some Linux devices all here or rumored to be soon.

Sprint/Clearwire's WiMAX is mostly a marketing farce, having drawn a net total of zero users and many people are happy to wait for LTE. Yet with all the excitement, it seems many have forgotten LTE, the 800-pound gorilla in the mobile industry, in their phone excitement. It is coming - probably in the next 90 days. Yet not a single rumored phone has it - at least not as part of the rumors. Storm 2 is a rehash of Storm, itself a poor rework of the BlackBerry platform in an attempt to compete with iPhone - no LTE. The first Droid won't have it. TP2 & Imagio don't have it. Some have said that Omnia 2 might have it, hence the delay, but while some testers have it, not all do, nor is there any confirmation it will have it.

There is a possibility that Apple has an LTE/CDMA iPhone being readied, just for VZW - but there are only a limited number of people I know with the knowledge & information to confirm the possibility.

So with the phones everyone is excited about, no LTE. Doesn't this bother you? Can you see an issue like the one we've had to tolerate with the Storm debaucle, where people will try everything including sacrificing a testicle, just to get the newest phone with LTE?

In my mind, no matter how good the device you just bought is, once LTE hits, there will be a lot of people who will suddenly be unhappy with their phone - including those who have gone past their WFG or who are too cheap to pay the $35 restocking fee.

Where do you stand? Will you get a Droid or a Storm2 or Omnia2 knowing it might be obsolete in 90 days?
    10-26-09 01:13 AM
    Will that time frame include many markets or just a few major ones?

Luckily I wasn't planning on upgrading until March or April even though I am already eligible to upgrade. I figure by then there will be a lot more device choices and a lot of the bugs worked out of them. If LTE phones come out around then my decision will prove to be a good one. I have been hoping to hear rumors of Nokia phones with LTE for VZW. But that is just my little dream ever since finding a picture of the N900 and their Maemo OS.
    10-26-09 01:26 AM
    i guess it depends on when a touchscreen blackberry comes out for LTE. i'll likely never go back to a traditional smartphone and NEVER back to an ordinary cell phone.
    10-26-09 01:45 AM
    A traditional smartphone? Do you mean WinMo?

Twins, I'm a little confused here.. It's well known that even though VZW plans to begin rollout of LTE here in short order, how long will it take them to rollout to even half of their current 3G network? 9-10 months? A year? At that point most of these phones that are being released in Q4 '09 will be obsolete anyway.

Personally, I'm willing to bet we see some sort of announcement by the end of the year.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-26-09 01:57 AM
    For the time being where I am in NH its more about the cell phone carrier not the phone I have been using US cell for close to 15 years now for me its the best price I can use my berry any where in the usa as much as i want text pic talk what ever any where and its 100 a month. it works for me my best friend has a iphone we travel together a lot and its a joke to see how bad his works hear in vt nh me ma. to my phone. I will see what comes out next year and go from there.
    10-26-09 02:06 AM
    I plan on switching to Verizon from AT&T here for my personal line in the next week or two...deciding between the Storm2, TP2/Imagio or one of the Droid phones.

No matter which one I decide upon I will buy it at the one year contract price that way I can upgrade to a LTE phone in Q4 of 2010 when there will be several options to choose from most likely.

I figure its worth the extra $70 bucks or so more now for the options later.
    10-26-09 03:01 AM
    Where do you stand? Will you get a Droid or a Storm2 or Omnia2 knowing it might be obsolete in 90 days?
    I currently have the original Storm, from Day 1. I'm hoping -- from Twin's suggestions -- that perhaps VZW will release an iPhone this summer, around the time the exclusive with AT&T may lapse? And then I'll hit my new every 2 at the end of July

If that doesn't happen, I'll likely hold onto my current phone until there are a bunch of LTE devices from which I can choose.

Come on LTE!
    10-26-09 06:39 AM
    Twins, I'm a little confused here.. It's well known that even though VZW plans to begin rollout of LTE here in short order, how long will it take them to rollout to even half of their current 3G network? 9-10 months? A year? At that point most of these phones that are being released in Q4 '09 will be obsolete anyway.
    What I know is that all new towers are outfitted with LTE already. New towers are being retrofitted - at what rate, I don't know for sure, since we do mostly new construction with some limited maintenance contracts. .

Rumors have it that most current VZW metro markets will roll out very quickly - some reports say simultaneously. Rural areas should be shortly thereafter. What will take a little longer will be the new license areas - those VZW doesn't have current 800/1900MHz coverage, but are included in 700MHz licensing.

I agree that we will all know more soon - probably by the end of the year.

10-26-09 09:51 AM
    No Twins, it doesn't really bother me. From what I remember, the first LTE devices weren't supposed to be cell phones, they were going to be add ons and peripherals. I'm guessing the LTE rollout will resemble Sprints WIMAX. Here in Portland WIMAX (where I am today) is competing with traditional broadband and DSL. Its advertised as a "Super Fast Mobile Internet" and I suspect LTE, initially, will be marketed the same way. Now with that said, I would love LTE on a mobile device (cell phone) ASAP.

As these new cell phones are announced, I do have LTE in the back of my mind. The new line of Droid devices aren't worldphones, so that's a dealbreaker. My extra line is due for an upgrade in April and I'm fairly sure the entire mobile phone landscape will be clearer at that time. Right now my Tour is good enough, I'm sure it will be a dinosaur in April.

Last edited by cenloe; 10-26-09 at 11:50 AM.
    10-26-09 10:41 AM
    90 days is next February 2010...will LTE really roll out that soon? I was itching for a new device, but the OS upgrade may have satiated me for now. Assuming that LTE will roll out en masse by next summer, I'm waiting. Though, I would like to keep using Blackberry. It's been surprisingly reliable for me.

I just made the conscious decision to not jump on the Apple wagon, having ordered some new Win7 machines, so if the iPhone/CDMA/LTE rumor comes to fruition as the "first" "new" "LTE" for VZW...then I'll just wait and see what other devices come along the way.

Certainly, Verizon's main partners (LG, RIM, HTC in particular) are all working on various new trinkets for the LTE world, and maybe...just maybe...they're keeping a decent lid on things for now (?? not realistic huh?)...
    10-26-09 11:41 AM
    Device upgrades sway me more than a network upgrade. On day 1, what's different about 3G and 4G outside of the speed?

Don't get me wrong, I think LTE is a game changer, but once the network is fully deployed, it will take at least another 12 - 24 months before we start seeing applications that truly leverage the enhanced capability of the network. Until then it's....You'll be able to do everything you do now...but faster!

Great...
    10-26-09 01:12 PM
    Got my Storm in Nov 08, I expect to finish my contract and decide in a year, when we know more and have a more accurate info. Right now, I am quite happy with my Storm, it does what I need, but I look forward to what the LTE capable phones will look like and do.
    10-26-09 01:32 PM
    I am glad u started this post. Well I doo have three lines one is due for an upgrade. My primary line is about due for a new early upgrade. I would like a new phone that is LTE compatible. But I am getting tired of my S1 and I am about ready to upgrade. I myself like others were under the assumption LTE would be ready for use with smart phones till the end of the upcoming year.
    10-26-09 02:12 PM
    I'm not yet ready for an upgrade to my phone, and I'm currently happy with the services I'm receiving.
    I have been following the news of the latest devices, but I've got plenty of time and patience to wait and see what the future brings.
    I don't feel a need to be on the bleeding edge, as long as my device works.
    10-26-09 03:10 PM
    I have 4 voice lines and apathetic end users. I basically have a rolling upgrade every 3-4 months so I'll get what works at the moment and upgrade when my new toy is losing its luster. Being on an employee plan affects my upgrade capabilities as well in case people question the time frame.
    10-26-09 03:20 PM
    Besides I am getting tired of my S1
    10-26-09 04:47 PM
    I have 4 voice lines and apathetic end users.
    Slap them around a bit & insist they get interested! It is fun!

Of course, what do I know? Youngest daughter & oldest grandaughter love guns, reloading, phones & cars. Youngest son & oldest grandson couldn't care less. Go figure.

Besides I am getting tired of my S1
    Personally, I am tired of your S1, too.

10-26-09 05:09 PM
    Slap them around a bit & insist they get interested! It is fun!
    And lose my upgrade on a whim capability? Surely you jest
    10-26-09 05:17 PM
    Ok Professor Twin; after reading your initial post in this thread.
    I have a question for you that no one has asked.
    Does VZ plan to roll out LTE smartphones along with the
    implementation of LTE?
    Knowingly selling new phones to customers that are not LTE
    compatible would anger some.
    Also you think the would tout their new droid phone and that not be LTE
    compatible?
    My thoughts............
    Besides it seems I upgrade everyyear.
    Maybe with the roll out of the new technology
    of smartphones I will eventually get one that will keep me satisfied
    for two maybe three years.
    Some people do smartphones like women do QVC
    10-27-09 11:23 AM
    I have a question about LTE. Is LTE supposed to be the new world standard for mobile phone technology, much like GSM is the world standard today?
    10-27-09 04:12 PM
    Ok Professor Twin; after reading your initial post in this thread.
    You're JUST getting around to reading it? I am CRUSHED!

I have a question for you that no one has asked.
    Until now - although it probably has & we just didn't see it.

Does VZ plan to roll out LTE smartphones along with the implementation of LTE?
    Chicken & egg thing. Which came first? Smart people know it was the chicken, since it is a current chicken & an egg is a potential or future chicken - but I digress.

There are LTE phones out there. Some are hardware upgrades of existing models, while others are new models. All of them are centered on hybrid CDMA/LTE designs, which makes sense, as VZW will be the first with LTE. So they are out there - none yet on the market, but some ready to be or close to it & existing devices will not be available to update to LTE.

I am not on the VZW product planning payroll, so I cannot comment on their plans - but I will say that 3G devices preceded 3G network rollouts - not by much, but they were out there.

Knowingly selling new phones to customers that are not LTE
    compatible would anger some.
    Not really - you get a phone that is advertised as 3G capable, with no mention or promise of 4G. When it does roll out, not all devices will have 4G - not all devices now have 3G even. The 3G phones currently available aren't up to the latest standard - 8330s released with Rev 0 after the VZW network was Rev A.

Also you think the would tout their new droid phone and that not be LTE
    compatible?
    Why not? It isn't LTE, but they still have to sell it. My best AV equipment & my kids' best guitar amps still have vacuum tubes.

My thoughts............
    Good thoughts, by the way.

Besides it seems I upgrade everyyear.
    Maybe with the roll out of the new technology
    of smartphones I will eventually get one that will keep me satisfied for two maybe three years.
    Then the issue won't bother you as you're not stuck with a phone for two+ years.

Some people do smartphones like women do QVC
    I don't do women I am not married to.

10-27-09 04:35 PM
    I have a question about LTE. Is LTE supposed to be the new world standard for mobile phone technology, much like GSM is the world standard today?
    CDMA is the technology standard but is not as prevalent worldwide as is GSM.

LTE is replacing both on many carriers, but its footprint will not equal the current GSM one for many years.

10-27-09 04:40 PM
    CDMA is the technology standard but is not as prevalent worldwide as is GSM.

LTE is replacing both on many carriers, but its footprint will not equal the current GSM one for many years.

Thanks.

In response to your poll, Twins: given my current status as a Tour owner, I think the answer is clear: I want a better device. And I can live without LTE for the time being, as it only seem to be about higher speeds, and higher speeds is not a major issue for me right now. Usability means much more to me, and right now I am pretty unenthusiastic about the BlackBerry platform. I am hoping one of the new Droids turns out to be very good.
    10-27-09 04:58 PM
    Here is some interesting info

Hardball 10/27/09: Meaning of Verizon Wireless’ “Nationwide” LTE Network Unclear - GLG News

We have all of these new phones here or on the way. Reading these pages, it is obvious that people are excited & buying - or planning to buy. Touch Pro2, Omnia2, Imagio, Storm 2, Droid series, possible iPhones and maybe even some Linux devices all here or rumored to be soon.

Sprint/Clearwire's WiMAX is mostly a marketing farce, having drawn a net total of zero users and many people are happy to wait for LTE. Yet with all the excitement, it seems many have forgotten LTE, the 800-pound gorilla in the mobile industry, in their phone excitement. It is coming - probably in the next 90 days. Yet not a single rumored phone has it - at least not as part of the rumors. Storm 2 is a rehash of Storm, itself a poor rework of the BlackBerry platform in an attempt to compete with iPhone - no LTE. The first Droid won't have it. TP2 & Imagio don't have it. Some have said that Omnia 2 might have it, hence the delay, but while some testers have it, not all do, nor is there any confirmation it will have it.

There is a possibility that Apple has an LTE/CDMA iPhone being readied, just for VZW - but there are only a limited number of people I know with the knowledge & information to confirm the possibility.

So with the phones everyone is excited about, no LTE. Doesn't this bother you? Can you see an issue like the one we've had to tolerate with the Storm debaucle, where people will try everything including sacrificing a testicle, just to get the newest phone with LTE?

In my mind, no matter how good the device you just bought is, once LTE hits, there will be a lot of people who will suddenly be unhappy with their phone - including those who have gone past their WFG or who are too cheap to pay the $35 restocking fee.

10-27-09 05:01 PM
    I'm kinda in the middle. I really want an Omnia 2, but the ability to tether with LTE capability would be nice.

But ya know what they say, good things come to those who wait...another year. LOL LTE speed isn't something you're going to notice on a little 'ol PDA anywho.
    10-27-09 05:09 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD