03-18-14 03:43 PM
57 123
tools
    Thanks for the response. Giving it a shot now.
    03-03-14 10:23 PM
    Well, even if Verizon will not say when, they should at least say reasons for the delay especially as it is officially released by BlackBerry pending vzw approval. Maybe BlackBerry needs an artificial vzw network in waterloo to test it before releasing it? Like a Verizon "network simulator ".

This way testing can be done and demonstrated to carrier before the software is handed to them for their internal testing before official carrier release to their customers.

Posted via CB10
    03-03-14 11:03 PM
    Thanks for the response. Giving it a shot now.
    Good luck..........

Let us know your experience and clarify any additional directions and advice.

This will put minds at ease for the next person to try this.

As well; if a large percentage of blackberry 10 phone owners on Verizon updates this way and many report positive experience online, then we won't need Verizon to release the update since we already can update without their cooperation.

Thus, my advice is to not wait on Verizon or other American carriers to release the update if you really want the update for whatever reason; and just go ahead and update using Sachesi by clicking on the link in my earlier post. That being said, if your BlackBerry phone is owned by someone else (like your company, DoD - yeah especially them, your parents, your dog and whoever else); DO NOT update without their permission. I could care less about being in trouble with the phone company; but I wouldn't want to be in trouble with a boss over it. However, your dog will most likely bark in approval.

If you own the phone yourself and want the update; then by all means go for it using Sachesi.
    03-04-14 02:05 AM
    Well, even if Verizon will not say when, they should at least say reasons for the delay especially as it is officially released by BlackBerry pending vzw approval. Maybe BlackBerry needs an artificial vzw network in waterloo to test it before releasing it? Like a Verizon "network simulator ".

This way testing can be done and demonstrated to carrier before the software is handed to them for their internal testing before official carrier release to their customers.

Posted via CB10
    Verizon as well as other American phone companies had their hands on the update for more than a month and that's long enough. If they can't or won't release the update in a timely manner, then the customers can choose a course of action to update their phones if they really want or need the update.

There are a few legitimate concerns where BB73 has a point. For example, T-Mobile (and maybe Sprint) is said to be trying to incorporate Wi-Fi calling feature into the update. If you want or need this feature, I can see the point in waiting it out. Even so, you could still update your phone using Sachesi without your carrier's cooperation if you also have other reasons to want or need the update; and then re-update your carrier's official release to get the Wi-Fi calling. Make a backup and keep it safe so you can downgrade back to your original version if necessary to use your carrier's official future release. If you don't need Wi-Fi calling (some people will need it though); then this argument is moot. Wi-Fi calling is used in areas where cell signals are weak, and Wi-Fi calling is the only way for T-Mobile customers to easily rectify the issue. T-Mobil does loan out a signal booster, but that requires quite a bit of pleading to get it. Sprint has a femtocell device called Airave, but they charge a monthly fee to let you use it, making Wi-Fi calling desirable for Sprint customers in weak cell signal areas. Verizon has a Femtocell called the Network Extender (that I use) and is very reliable and Verizon don't charge ongoing fees for its use. AT&T's Femtocell is called a Microcell and while it works, is very unreliable in my experience as their former customer. Like Verizon, AT&T doesn't charge ongoing fees for its use.

Now, back to the subject of 10.2.1 update away from talking about Femtocell; while Wi-Fi calling built into future update released by T-Mobile and perhaps Sprint............... If you don't need this feature and want the update, then don't worry about that and go ahead and update using Sachesi. Even if you need your Wi-Fi calling and if your BlackBerry phone should for whatever reason already have the feature built in, updating using the non-destructive route likely won't erase that feature since non-destructive update leaves all your existing settings and apps intact as well as leaves your texting and phone call history intact on the phone. However, make a full backup before updating non-destructively using Sachesi just in case if my opinion about the Wi-Fi proves wrong.
    03-04-14 02:36 AM
    All whatever I've said having been said, keep in mind that I only mentioned using an official release by any phone company or BlackBerry, as opposed to using a leak. Many people use update leaks, but I never have as I'm wary of using leaks. However, it's different though; if a device manufacturer has already released an official updated operating software to the phone companies and you find your self waiting.............. And waiting................. And waiting,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, then go ahead and update with the official software from somewhere without your carrier's cooperation. Be mindful of potential warranty issues though. My opinion, but whatever floats your boat.
    03-04-14 02:47 AM
    It would be nice of BlackBerry Link to tell and separate official carrier OS files from updated or leaked OS. So if update does not work, you just click carrier logo to downgrade to default of current carrier OS.

LIKE THREE BUTTONS
    Carrier logo for "official OS"
    BlackBerry logo for "official BlackBerry OS with carrier pending test results status of OS"

And a pipe bursting water out of it for "leaked OS updates"

Posted via CB10
    03-04-14 07:26 AM
    Good luck..........

Let us know your experience and clarify any additional directions and advice.

This will put minds at ease for the next person to try this.

As well; if a large percentage of blackberry 10 phone owners on Verizon updates this way and many report positive experience online, then we won't need Verizon to release the update since we already can update without their cooperation.
    Did the update, last night, on my Verizon Z30. Couldn't have been easier and it worked like a charm. To anyone on the fence about this, I say go ahead and do it. It really is as easy as following the instructions linked in Dave's earlier post.

Posted via CB10
    03-04-14 08:03 AM
    Hello all,
    I have looked and can not find an accurate answer I thought maybe Dave or John King might know, Can the update be done using a MAC or does this only work on Windows based computers? Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    03-04-14 09:53 AM
    Ah well...it was worth asking I suppose.
    Thanks for the response.

Posted via CB10
    I put in my German sim card in dubai and got the update while others here had to wait.....

Z30 Pooooooooower!!!
    ilikebacon likes this.
    03-04-14 09:57 AM
    Hello all,
    I have looked and can not find an accurate answer I thought maybe Dave or John King might know, Can the update be done using a MAC or does this only work on Windows based computers? Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    I don't know, as I use Windows computers. Sachesi did download and install on my computer, so apparently the update requires some power from your computer to work and cannot do all online without your computer acting as an intermediary.

All I can say is to download Sachesi to your Mac and see if it will install and operate as some software will work on both Mac and Windows. Even Microsoft written Office for Mac. You will have 2 options if Sachesi won't work on your Mac. One of the options is to use a program called Parallels for Mac, though that's very expensive if you don't already have it and may not be worth it just to run only one Windows program. The other option is to borrow a friend's Windows computer or ask your boss for permission to use a Windows computer at work or whatever. If you are going to your friend's house to update or update at work, allow yourself some 2 or 3 hours to give time for the big download and the communication between computer and phone to make the update. Thus if you go to some business that will allow you to use a Windows computer to do the update, don't show up right before they close.

If there happen to be an Internet Cafe close to where you live, that would be nice; but I've only seen a couple of them here in the USA while I've came across quite a few in the Philippines.

Try to download and install on your Mac and see if the program will run and download BEFORE you attach the phone. If BlackBerry Link works with Mac and Sachesi will run and download to the Mac, then it will probably work; but do a full backup of your phone just in case. If Sachesi won't run and download files to the Mac without Parallels, then obviously the answer would be no. I have never used a Mac computer so this is the best I can come up with.

If you try it, let us know. If you have Parallels for Mac and as well if Sachesi will work using Parallels but not without; let us know so other Mac users can know what to do.
    03-04-14 03:43 PM
    It would be nice of BlackBerry Link to tell and separate official carrier OS files from updated or leaked OS. So if update does not work, you just click carrier logo to downgrade to default of current carrier OS.

LIKE THREE BUTTONS
    Carrier logo for "official OS"
    BlackBerry logo for "official BlackBerry OS with carrier pending test results status of OS"

And a pipe bursting water out of it for "leaked OS updates"

Posted via CB10
    It would be nice if companies generally had an ax to grind like this but that generally doesn't happen. They won't make leaks THAT EASY to get perhaps due to liability issues as well as to protect you from using half baked software that could brick your phone. Also, if BlackBerry just simply put a button on their website for the official update with pending results of a carrier; then that would **** off the carrier and the carrier may well decide to refuse to sell BlackBerry phones and considering where BlackBerry stands while struggling in the marketplace............ BlackBerry cannot afford that. Samsung don't release updates like this either.

To tell leaks from official updates, it's easy. Just look at version numbers. The version numbers of the updates released by the carriers (yours and not) are the official updates. The version numbers of the updates not released by any carrier may be leaks.

Those being said and if you bought your phone full priced and unlocked - and then took it to a carrier and bought phone service; then this is even less an issue although some may not want to use potentially half baked leaks.

Also, waiting for Verizon to finally release the update is like waiting 4 hours for Domino's to finally get your pizza delivered to you.
    Last edited by Dave Templeton; 03-04-14 at 04:20 PM.
    03-04-14 04:08 PM
    Hi Dave, thanks I found everything I needed to download Sachesi to my Mac it downloaded the 10.2.1.2141 files just fine, I checked and all 154 files are there updating my Z30 now, I'll come back on here when it's done to post whether it was successful or not, thanks again

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    03-04-14 04:55 PM
    And domino's got rid of 30 minutes or its free so you CCAAANNNN wait 4 hours for your pizza. Or in Verizon case 4 weeks or more for new "BlackBerry filling", for us to enjoy

Posted via CB10
    03-04-14 06:31 PM
    Hi Dave, thanks I found everything I needed to download Sachesi to my Mac it downloaded the 10.2.1.2141 files just fine, I checked and all 154 files are there updating my Z30 now, I'll come back on here when it's done to post whether it was successful or not, thanks again

Ok so far everything seems to be working right. Did everything on a MacBook. I took my time and loaded one thing at a time. First I loaded Blackberry Link for Mac ran the setup and there was an update, did the update and ran setup again, rebooted the laptop and then did a backup of my z30. Then disconnected the phone and loaded a program called QT4 (qt-mac-opensource-4.8.5dmg) ran the setup for that, then went online and found Sachesi 1.1.2 for Mac. Still all this is done without the phone hooked up to the computer, then I ran Sachesi and downloaded the correct 10.2.1 file for the z30, I let it completely load, put the 10.2.1 folder on my desktop, closed Sachesi, connected my phone and as I expected Blackberry Link opened automatically, closed BB Link then opened Sachesi, after I saw that it showed my z30 connected I went to the install tab and drug the folder into the space provided and the install ran on my phone. Installation completed, phone rebooted and that's it. Total time start to finish was about 2 hours, so there you have it, this can be done totally on a Mac Computer without Windows or without having Parallels on you Mac.

03-04-14 07:24 PM
    P.S. I forgot to thank Dave and John King for the information they both provided. Thank You

03-04-14 07:26 PM
    OK so great I now have my z30 running 10.2.1 and today they tell us at work that were returning them to Verizon and I can not get my phone back to the pre-installed OS that came from Verizon no matter what I try. Anyone here have any suggestions?

Posted via CB10
    03-05-14 06:52 PM
    OK so great I now have my z30 running 10.2.1 and today they tell us at work that were returning them to Verizon and I can not get my phone back to the pre-installed OS that came from Verizon no matter what I try. Anyone here have any suggestions?

Posted via CB10
    Have you tried doing a security wipe?

Posted via CB10
    03-05-14 09:33 PM
    Have you tried doing a security wipe?

Posted via CB10
    Yes and it did the security wipe and after the set up I looked and it was still on 10.2.1 :/
    Am trying to load the official OS in Sachesi now. Hope this works, I'm tired. Don't want to mess with this stuff anymore, that's why I left android and came back to blackberry. Go figure, the time it's taken to look online to try to restore the OS, I could have rooted and loaded several roms on an Android phone and flashed back to stock 3 times already.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-14 10:39 PM
    Security wipe just resets the os you have currently installed. Download an older version autoloader and flash that

Z30 Pooooooooower!!!
    03-05-14 10:57 PM
    OK fixed it, the easiest method was to soft brick the phone and then do an update through blackberry link

Posted via CB10
    03-05-14 11:29 PM

Posted via CB10

Originally posted by myself, Dave....

That being said, if your BlackBerry phone is owned by someone else (like your company, DoD - yeah especially them, your parents, your dog and whoever else); DO NOT update without their permission. I could care less about being in trouble with the phone company; but I wouldn't want to be in trouble with a boss over it. However, your dog will most likely bark in approval.
    As I said earlier, if the phone that you have possession of is the property of someone else; get their permission before updating Sachesi this way. Depending on who own the phone that you have in your possession, it may not be worth getting in trouble over.
    03-06-14 02:36 AM
    @Dave T.
    Hi Dave, I hear you. I did the leak assuming that going back to stock was going to be easy, new to Blackberry was use to android where going back and forth from Rom to Rom was easy. Lesson learned

03-06-14 06:53 AM
    I finally decided to update my Verizon Z30 yesterday using Sachesi. I'm so glad I did, and wish I had done it sooner! No problems yet. So far I've only tried the Amazon App Store, and every app I've tried except the History Channel app has worked great!

And I have to say, this screen was made for Netflix!

Seriously, it's like a whole new phone.

And it also proves that whatever excuses Verizon is giving for not pushing the update are 100% hogwash. They are either incompetent, defiant, or they just don't care. It's infuriating.

Posted from my Z30 via CB10.
    03-06-14 10:47 AM
    Don't mean to add fuel to the fire, but I was in our local Verizon store last weekend, and the Z30 that's on display has the most recent update 10.1.2. There password to access the settings menu is Verizon. So I asked how is it possible that this phone has the most recent update, but is not available to Verizon customers. The manager did not have a clue, which seems to be common for Verizon staff.

The Q10 display phone has the verison we all
    Q10 customers have. How is it possible to run different versions of OS. Maybe it's nothing, but I just find it interesting.
    03-06-14 12:49 PM
    Great.....VZW demo phones have the upgrade, but not the customers phones. Thats...that's just...thanks Verizon...
    Well still better than Sprint.

Posted via CB10
    03-06-14 08:54 PM
57 123