...without getting ripped off?

For instance, on Amazon.com the Storm is listed as "List Price: $499.99" with the 499.99 crossed out and the new "special" price (with service plan) somewhere around $99.99, for example.

But when you click "buy without a service plan" the list price magically jumps up to $568.75!

The bold is much worse.

Any idea where to buy the Storm for list price, without service plan? And don't say EBAY! Phones sell for over a hundred dollars more than they're worth over there...
    Last edited by wasafiri; 05-03-09 at 11:36 PM.
    05-03-09 11:33 PM
    Uhhh RIM?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

05-03-09 11:51 PM

For instance, on Amazon.com the Storm is listed as "List Price: $499.99" with the 499.99 crossed out and the new "special" price (with service plan) somewhere around $99.99, for example.

But when you click "buy without a service plan" the list price magically jumps up to $568.75!

The bold is much worse.

Any idea where to buy the Storm for list price, without service plan? And don't say EBAY! Phones sell for over a hundred dollars more than they're worth over there...
    When I bought my storm, I bought it outright from verizon without a new service plan. Even though I'm usually against it, you can try to find one on craigslist. But make sure you check the esn to make sure that the device isn't blacklisted.

05-04-09 12:32 AM
    msrp on a storm is 519.99 (almost positive) this is the price you pay without an agreement. This is the price you will find at most established retailers (corporate locations, indirects, best buys, etc) The cost that a company buys from a distributer for the phone is arund 420.00 (give or take). This is the price a indirect or other store pays for the phone. Your not going to fine anyone outside of ebay selling for less then that, it wouldn't make business sense.
    05-04-09 02:41 AM
    thanks for the suggestions.
    05-04-09 09:11 AM
    But what is a phone without a service plan.
    05-07-09 10:40 PM
    I think we are going to see a lot of people wanting to do the same thing when the net books are released.
    05-08-09 07:07 AM
    you might as well get it with a service plan. If you decide to switch carriers later on, your ETF will cover the difference of full retail. And hey, if you decide to stay with your carrier, then you keep your discount on your device.
    05-08-09 08:08 AM
    But what is a phone without a service plan.
    Some people might want to unlock and use on another carrier.
    05-08-09 08:22 AM
    Are we talking 2 year contract, or blackberry service plan.. I was under the impression verizon wont register a blackberry on their service without paying for the blackberry service plan. If we are talking about the 2 year contract, that is the name of the game. Either pay retail or sign over another 2 year commitment... All carriers are going to get the money from you one way or another...
    there is no such thing as a free lunch....
    05-08-09 09:01 AM
    I just want a 1 year contract, maximum. I don't like the idea of getting a 2 year contract that ties you in to a phone that only has a 1 year warranty. Been burned on that already.
    05-08-09 02:20 PM
    You can get a 1 year contract with VZW, just will not get as good a deal on the phone.
    05-08-09 02:31 PM
    you can get a new blackberry storm for 49.99 by activating a new line through letstalk.com once you get the phone call and cancel it will cost you a 175.00 early termination fee.

So thats a total of 49.99 + 175.00 = 228.99

that is the cheapest you will ever find for a new storm.
    05-08-09 11:38 PM
    you can get a new blackberry storm for 49.99 by activating a new line through letstalk.com once you get the phone call and cancel it will cost you a 175.00 early termination fee.

So thats a total of 49.99 + 175.00 = 228.99

that is the cheapest you will ever find for a new storm.
    Awesome amount of research you did there.

Terms & Conditions
    I would be liable to LetsTalk.com, or its assignee, for an equipment subsidy recovery fee of $250 per line ("equipment recovery fee") if the Wireless Service(s) is discontinued prior to 180 days of continuous service. The equipment subsidy recovery fee will not be charged if the equipment is returned and accepted by LetsTalk.com within its Guarantee Policy.
    So $478.99, what an amazing savings.......
    05-08-09 11:50 PM
    Awesome amount of research you did there.

Terms & Conditions

So $478.99, what an amazing savings.......

oh wow.... i never read into it more then that.... i thought once the line is actiavated everything was transferred over to verizon.... so then i guess its not so much of a good deal then.
    05-08-09 11:52 PM
    Yeah, reading terms and conditions tends to help.....
    05-08-09 11:55 PM
    I would just check craigslist. Better than ebay.

05-09-09 12:03 AM
    Uhhh RIM?

How do you purhcase directly from RIM? I don't think you can.
    05-09-09 08:36 AM

The bold is much worse.

Without Service plan means without contract. The reason you get a phone for $100 is BECAUSE of the contract and service plan. $499.99 IS the retail price. Blackberry.com or otherwise.
    Anything you'd get on ebay or craigslist would be considered referbished ( even if its still in the box ) bc it was preowed.. and will not ahve a warrenty.
    05-09-09 03:22 PM
    Is the 568 price AFTER or BEFORE taxes? If After, that seems about right if the retail is 499. Of course, that depends on whether you live somewhere that you have to pay tax on an Amazon order...
    Last edited by randabis; 05-09-09 at 04:34 PM.
    05-09-09 04:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD