05-11-09 02:34 PM
43 12
tools
    I would look at the 9630 more as an 8830 WE replacement rather than a curve replacement given its market for world capabilities and its keyboard look
    Man I always forget about the 8830WE.

That makes sense. Maybe we will see a version of the 8900 or 8520 for CDMA, but with LTE coming, I wouldn't hold my breathe. I have read on other threads that the Tour will be the last BB released that doesn't support LTE.

But as everyone else says, it's all speculation at this point, and your guess is as good as mine as to when the (insert your favorite code name here) will actually be released.
    05-02-09 01:50 PM
    How do I tune into this may 13th webcast?
    You have to be an employee or developer. I was invited because I'm a developer. I've been signed up for Verizon's open development for a while now, this was the first e-mail I've ever gotten from them, inviting me to their webcast.
    05-02-09 05:10 PM
    You have to be an employee or developer. I was invited because I'm a developer. I've been signed up for Verizon's open development for a while now, this was the first e-mail I've ever gotten from them, inviting me to their webcast.
    What kind of developer, neighbor??
    05-02-09 05:41 PM
    Why buy sprint all their customers are coming over anyways
    Yeaaaa, i'm going to pay double for no reason at all. great idea
    05-02-09 07:29 PM
    Yeaaaa, i'm going to pay double for no reason at all. great idea
    No reason?

Where I am standing in my backyard, in Mesa, AZ with an estimated population of 600,000+ which puts it in category of large city especially considering it is the Phoenix metro area, Sprint phones are dead and stay dead for at least a mile to the north and west and farther to the south and east. Zilch. Nada. No service. No voice. No data. AT&T is marginal and tmobile and Verizon work well. Also Verizon isn't double the price unless you seriously failed math. You shouldn't believe those Sprint ads even if you're a stereotypical NASCAR fan.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-02-09 08:08 PM
    I started a thread yesterday on this topic;

http://forums.crackberry.com/f40/bla...upiter-219497/

I didn't realize there was another one.
    05-02-09 08:14 PM
    The 83xx series came out on both GSM and CDMA. I would also expect the 8900 to come out on CDMA as well, sice technically it is the straight upgraded version of the Curve.

Now, about this 8520, I'm sure it would also hit CDMA soon after. Most BB's come out on GSM first anyways, and then CDMA after... The WE phones like the Storm and upcoming Tour is first on CDMA because it can be unlocked anyway to be used on GSM network... We all know it won't work vice-versa for CDMA.

Sounds like a valid point?

05-03-09 11:58 PM
    No reason?

Where I am standing in my backyard, in Mesa, AZ with an estimated population of 600,000+ which puts it in category of large city especially considering it is the Phoenix metro area, Sprint phones are dead and stay dead for at least a mile to the north and west and farther to the south and east. Zilch. Nada. No service. No voice. No data. AT&T is marginal and tmobile and Verizon work well. Also Verizon isn't double the price unless you seriously failed math. You shouldn't believe those Sprint ads even if you're a stereotypical NASCAR fan.

Your anecdotal evidence does not apply across the board. The best carrier for your area will always be determined by which one has the best coverage for the price point you are looking for. For many areas, Sprint has better coverage, while others Verizon or another carrier will come out on top. Price point wise Sprint will always be more attractive in comparison to Verizon. It's certainly not "double" the cost to use Verizon service, but many people will get just as excellent service with Sprint (or any other carrier) as they would Verizon without having to pay the premium of Verizon service. There is no "one size fits all" carrier.
    05-04-09 05:48 PM
    How much better can the curve get.
    05-07-09 10:36 PM
    Dang! I thought that was the day that VZW was to announce they bought Sprint Will have to look forward to this day
    Lol.... I don't like sprint or verizon but I am excited for the day someone buys out sprint... U.s cellular needs to be bought out too and finally add 3G....by that time tho we will be up to 6G haha

05-08-09 01:06 AM
    trust me, if there's more network buyouts, all that'll happen is less upgrades and higher monthly bills! Buyouts and mergers are never good for customers
    05-08-09 01:14 AM
    Your anecdotal evidence does not apply across the board.
    Never said it did. There are those who are happy with Sprint or whatever carrier but they usually don't move around a lot. My analogy centered on the fact this is a major Sprint market and they can't even offer service covering the whole town. A good friend of mine lives at the north end of town and reports the same thing. You've seen him here. Even if all else were equal I would have to go along with his feelings that Sprint can't even run their own network anymore and has a Euro company talking it over. I like that Verizon and AT&T are both made in America and run by Americans.

05-08-09 01:18 AM
    Your anecdotal evidence does not apply across the board. The best carrier for your area will always be determined by which one has the best coverage for the price point you are looking for. For many areas, Sprint has better coverage, while others Verizon or another carrier will come out on top. Price point wise Sprint will always be more attractive in comparison to Verizon. It's certainly not "double" the cost to use Verizon service, but many people will get just as excellent service with Sprint (or any other carrier) as they would Verizon without having to pay the premium of Verizon service. There is no "one size fits all" carrier.
    well said!
    05-08-09 08:12 AM
    trust me, if there's more network buyouts, all that'll happen is less upgrades and higher monthly bills! Buyouts and mergers are never good for customers
    Question isn't if there are more network buyouts.. The question is will the FCC and the justice department allow more network buyouts... With only 4 major players in the game (2 on gsm and 2 on cdma) it all matters what teh justice department classifies as a monopoly.. if it is on the market (why sirius and xm where allowed to merge because they are classified as radio and local radio was seen as competition) or if it is on the technology (monopoly on cdma technology... yes yes i know verizon is going to lte blah blah blah)...
    Never said it did. There are those who are happy with Sprint or whatever carrier but they usually don't move around a lot. My analogy centered on the fact this is a major Sprint market and they can't even offer service covering the whole town. A good friend of mine lives at the north end of town and reports the same thing. You've seen him here. Even if all else were equal I would have to go along with his feelings that Sprint can't even run their own network anymore and has a Euro company talking it over. I like that Verizon and AT&T are both made in America and run by Americans.

Might want to learn why sprint doesn't expand their network before you ramble on more...
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f71/doe...50/index2.html

Oh and make sure you never buy another budweiser product.. you know it isn't owned by americans right?
    Last edited by numus; 05-08-09 at 09:23 AM.
    05-08-09 09:19 AM
    I don't think that can be broadly applied to the wireless business. As Verizon completes its conversion with Rural Cellular, VZW is maintaining GSM properties for roaming revenue, while converting the native consumer base to CDMA as the network is deployed.

When SWBell and BellSouth formed the original Cingular, they converted the TDMA base to GSM. Same thing happened with AT&T when it was acquired by SBC.

As the major carriers have grown, the upgrades have been pretty methodical, of course....never fast enough for us...
    05-08-09 09:40 AM
    Might want to learn why sprint doesn't expand their network before you ramble on more..
    .I can tell you why they don't expand their network. Money that they don't have and no desire to provide true nationwide coverage.

For years it was simpler for them to lease bandwidth from other carriers - those carriers tend to have easy access to landline connectivity because they have ties to long-existing POTS & fiber networks to connect towers. They also have blanket permits, easements, right of ways & rights to facilities because of their existence as local telcos.

When a local telco wants to install a line, they do it. When companies such as Level 3, XO or Sprint want to do it, they must go through permit & approval processes. Sometimes they may go through a local to use their PUEs & ROWs, but then there are lease agreements, approvals, etc.

WiMAX will probably be the death of Sprint, as they are going it alone. Once VZW kills off CDMA, Sprint customers will be stuck unless they have dual-mode phones (and there is supposedly some huge technical issues in switching between WiMax & LTE) and new roaming agreements are made.

Oh and make sure you never buy another budweiser product.. you know it isn't owned by americans right?
    Besides the fact is is apples & oranges comparing consumables with service, if you want good beer, you don't buy an Anheuser-Busch product.

05-08-09 11:43 AM
    I got a developers e-mail inviting me to watch a webcast on May 13th as well, but it said it was about tech specs on LTE....
    I am there & it is coming Wednesday.

The phone manufacturers & software developers are waiting for this, as they cannot finalize their product development without it. There is a lot of anticipation on this, as many companies want to be ready, considering you should be able to buy a phone from Sears, load software on it & activate it on a compatible network of your choice.

Side note on open networks - the concept allows those manufacturers the ability to make a phone that works on the network and sell it as such, as long as it doesn't adversely affect a network. It does not say that carriers will be forced to allow some or any roaming to competitors.

I also don't see a huge
    demand for unsubsidized phones, at least in the short term - how many people will really buy a $600 phone when the carrier offers one for half that (or even free)?. Where open network might be more effective is with alternate devices, like netbooks.

Last edited by TwinsX2Dad; 05-08-09 at 12:08 PM.
    05-08-09 12:01 PM
    So we may here more information about the Curve 8930 after then? I like the Tour, but would prefer the smaller style that the newer Curve offers. I also like the seperation of the keys.
    05-11-09 02:34 PM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD