I just got my first BB. It's a Curve 8330. My husband also got one, but he's had blackberries for years. He told me we could tether the phone and laptop so that we can have internet when we visit a place w/o internet or a place where we don't want to pay for internet (ex: hotel room).

I know we did this before about 4 (or 5) years ago. I do believe his phone was being paid for by work then but he may have been responsible for some of it. (I really don't remember).

I'm reading post on this site that says you have to pay to tether. We have the unlimited data plan but I gather you need another plan if you want to tether???

But what if you do it so infrequently... What would you do?
    04-27-09 12:51 PM
    Yes, you need a tethering plan. You are able to turn it on and off as needed be calling Verizon and paying as you need it. Otherwise it is $30 a month for the plan. (not sure of cost)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-27-09 12:55 PM
    So confused.
    There are two options:
    1) monthly plan
    2) pay daily (you turn it on/off as needed)
    Right?
    04-27-09 01:08 PM
    The tethering only has one real plan. With Verizon it WAS an extra 15 dollars a month above the data plan you already carry, bringing your monthly data plan to around 45 dollars a month. What they are saying is that you can add the tether option at anytime. You can call customer service and tell them you want the tether plan right before you want to start using it, then when you are done call them back and tell them you don't want it anymore. This does not incorporate a pay daily, but instead it will be billed to you on a prorated basis. They will take the normal monthly fee and bill it to you based on how many days you had the feature turned on.

-EDIT: Prices change and apparently form other users I am out-dated. Luckily, my phone is not. Tethering costs have risen. Sorry.
    Last edited by decentfreak; 04-27-09 at 02:18 PM.
    04-27-09 01:23 PM
    Tethering is NOT $15 extra if you are on BIS

Your BB data plan + tethering needs to come out to $59.99 a month

BIS - $29.99 BB data + $30.00 tethering = $59.99

BES - $44.99 BB data + $15.00 tethering = $59.99

Tethering is an add on, so if you are not going to use it daily, just call 611 when you need it and call them back to take it off. VZW pro rates so it will come out to about $1.00 a day x 30 days = $30.00 a month.

04-27-09 01:42 PM
    Ok. That makes sense.
    I just called my husband and told him VZW is charging to tether. (He thinks I'm wrong ).

He says he used to hook his BB to the laptop via USB and it worked.

Does that not work anymore? Why did this used to work for him but won't anymore? Am I confusing two different things?

B
    04-27-09 01:45 PM
    The tethering only has one real plan. With Verizon it is an extra 15 dollars a month above the data plan you already carry, bringing your monthly data plan to around 45 dollars a month. What they are saying is that you can add the tether option at anytime. You can call customer service and tell them you want the tether plan right before you want to start using it, then when you are done call them back and tell them you don't want it anymore. This does not incorporate a pay daily, but instead it will be billed to you on a prorated basis. They will take the normal monthly fee and bill it to you based on how many days you had the feature turned on.
    Your close, the total must equal $60.00 a month - the same as using a Broadband card for your laptop. If you are on BIS it will be $30 a month for Tethering. If your on BES (work email) it will be $15 a month for tethering.
    04-27-09 01:45 PM
    My tethering only ever charged me 45 total a month. The plan was 44.99 for both tethering and data. That was not unlimited tethering though. But, times change and so do prices i have not used tethering in years.

But this I do know, you do still connect the phone with the usb cable to your computer, but you still need to pay your carrier for the data transferred from your phone for the computer.
    04-27-09 02:16 PM
    Yes, I tether via an USB cord. I am not sure how it use to work.

You said his phone was being paid/provided by his employer, maybe they paid for it and you did not know about it. But if he still does not think that the Crackberry Nation is correct, have him call 611 and let them tell him.

04-27-09 02:26 PM
    I didn't tell him I got this info from The crackberry nation.
    I should have.. LOL

It could have been that they paid for it. Don't know. But I could have sworn we did it once in the car recently and he doesn't have a company blackberry anymore.

B
    04-27-09 02:33 PM
    I didn't tell him I got this info from The crackberry nation.
    I should have.. LOL

It could have been that they paid for it. Don't know. But I could have sworn we did it once in the car recently and he doesn't have a company blackberry anymore.

B
    You can tether without the plan, you're just going to hit with data overage charges....there's a thread in this section of the forums about a student who used it, and got about a $250 or maybe even more, tethering charge on his acocunt.
    04-27-09 02:37 PM
    You can do it illegally without paying for it. I recommend adding the plan.
    04-27-09 02:41 PM
    You can tether without the plan, you're just going to hit with data overage charges....there's a thread in this section of the forums about a student who used it, and got about a $250 or maybe even more, tethering charge on his acocunt.
    I believe you mean the amazing adventures of hapless Bob,
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f71/omg...ry-use-190239/

It was closer to $4000.

Bob has not been heard from since. OOOOOhhhhhhhhh.
    04-27-09 02:42 PM
    How is it illegal? I'm confused. I thought the 30 bucks we payed for UNLIMITED DATA would cover it. Its data were using so can't we use it how we want.
    04-27-09 04:44 PM
    How is it illegal? I'm confused. I thought the 30 bucks we payed for UNLIMITED DATA would cover it. Its data were using so can't we use it how we want.
    Read the threads. Unlimited on the device only. Read your TOS and ask questions. Thinking/Assuming will get you in trouble
    04-27-09 05:15 PM
    It's illegal because using tethering without paying for a tethering feature is theft of services.
    04-27-09 05:17 PM
    Not again

I am going to go find a brick wall and pound my head on it
    04-27-09 05:53 PM
    i also believe tethering is free for the first 30 days.

Is that promo still going on, Lastraid?

04-27-09 05:57 PM

Is that promo still going on,
    Yes it is, I am still under my 30 day free window. Well I should say it was going on about 15 days ago.
    04-27-09 06:01 PM

Is that promo still going on, Lastraid?

I would need to be at work to answer that correctly. I really fix stuff, I do not sell it too often.
    04-27-09 06:03 PM
    Simple to understand - if you want to connect any computer other than your phone to the line, you need tethering. To try without the plan could subject you to heavy charges & possible disconnection.

And, if you think you might be able to get away with small amounts of unreported tethering, think again - several carriers, including AT&T & VZW are testing software network detection systems that will flag your account for disconnection within 60 seconds of connection. These are not systemwide yet, but they are coming - possibly quicker than any of us care to estimate. And you know how much the rollout of these systems will be advertised...

04-27-09 06:08 PM
    Yes it is, I am still under my 30 day free window. Well I should say it was going on about 15 days ago.
    That is pretty much a running offer for those who've not had the tethering plan before.

One other thing - carrier billing systems will only permit three changes per bill cycle. Add tethering is one. Remove it three days later is two. Readd it a week after that & you cannot remove it until the beginning of the next billing cycle. Toss in any other changes & you could be really stuck. You can usually get them to adjust a bill once, but they will adjust, educate & perm-note the account. You won't get future adjustments for the three-change limitation.

04-27-09 06:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD