10-08-09 08:53 PM
42 12
tools
    That O2 still promises to be very nice. My sudden issue with it is there were many promises of further enhancements - some I have been running - that would give TouchWiz2 a leg up on the HTC creation.

Now it seems these will be held back until at least January & we may not see them until WM7 arrives.

Oh well - I just signed off on a rash of new TP2 phones for the guys. Running on our Enterprise server, they will have push email & more. Perfect for shutting up the very few BlackBerry fans I have left at the shop.

It is incredible - springtime last year, we had about half our guys recommending BlackBerrys. Same people, but the BlackBerry fans have dropped to a grand total of three ardent BlackBerry fans, a net conversion of about 45 people. My IT guys never liked BlackBerry, even when BlackBerry was a decent choice.

And two of my IT guys recently added the title of "Dr." & one teaches at a local college. They really must not know what they are doing.

Overall, my guys now laugh at BlackBerry - some are waiting for the O2 & some have snapped up TP2 - and they are so adamently anti-BlackBerry, they make ME sound like a BlackBerry fan.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    LOL, Well that's the difference between your shop and a shop that has to worry about billions of dollars in financial transactions every day. The shop that worries about the transactions, the recommended phone is the Blackberry. Sure Tp2 is cool, but cool doesn't get that job done, function does. With 6 WM users out of many times more Blackberrys there is a clear trend.

A lot of the guys like the curve because it fits comfortably in their pockets. I would keep the Tour in my pocket but I'm worried about smashing my pocket against the desk. Can't really keep the TP2 in your pockets.

The best phone is the phone that gets the job done the best. While I really like the TP2 and some other WM phones and I could have gotten one. The Tour is sleek, sophisticated and just does what it is supposed to do very well.
    09-23-09 10:24 PM
    Regarding battery life; I would LOVE my blackberry battery to last two days.
    Mine lasts about 1.5 days if I am careful not to use a lot of data.
    The one thing I KNOW drains my battery the fastest is BBM. A long session will drain half my battery in no time.
    I use it a lot since my supervisor and a couple collegues are on tmobile. I use BBM to keep my sms usage down.
    Plans are to get an extended battery and the sake that I carry my usb cord in my purse since Im almost always near a computer.
    I advise customers generally to charge the phone every night.
    I might be wrong but thats what I do; on a good day my battery gets me from 5a-10p or later.
    Past two days Ive had to charge by 5p because Ive been using BBM a lot.
    take it for what its worth.
    Spent about two hours on the phone today and responded to a stream of emails. At the end of the day battery life was 85%. I have drained the battery while taking commuter railroads. About 3 hours of streaming music and surfing I lose about 50%. But these phones should be getting decent battery life if the screen is turned down and it's holstered between usage.
    09-23-09 10:29 PM
    A lot of the guys like the curve because it fits comfortably in their pockets. I would keep the Tour in my pocket but I'm worried about smashing my pocket against the desk. Can't really keep the TP2 in your pockets.
    I can carry a .45 in the pocket of my Dockers & you'd not know it.

TP2 is nothing.

09-23-09 10:50 PM
    I can carry a .45 in the pocket of my Dockers & you'd not know it.

TP2 is nothing.

You're in Az. Can't do that in my state, unless you want to be sent to Sing-sing for a visit.
    09-23-09 11:19 PM
    Slightly off topic but why does RIM require a SIM card to have WIFI on a BB? Why don't the WinMo phones require one as well? I have no experience with the WinMo phones at all so if this is a dumb question I apologize. I know VZW doesn't use a SIM like GSM carriers.

Oh yeah and since you guys mentioned it I carry Tactical Tupperware. If you know firearms you know what I mean! PA allows such things with the proper permits.
    09-23-09 11:32 PM
    I have enough firepower around here that the ATF keeps an eye on me.

And I encourage concealed carry with my people. Yes, at work, too.

But back to the topic at hand.

There are severe limitations with the way CDMA interacts with RIM servers. It can cause conflicts with WiFi, hence the restriction. People much smarter than I am, with closer ties to RIM say it is highly unlikely that if we do actually see a WiFi CDMA BlackBerry, it will not come close to the operation or performance of WM phones or GSM BlackBerrys.

The WiFi on my TP2 works very well - but is mostly unnecessary. WiFi is a bigger deal on BlackBerry, though - a good WM, Android, Palm or iPhone is faster given a cell connection so the WiFi advantage is more apparent.

Speaking of the TP2, it hasn't needed a restart all week. One Tour has needed a pair of battery pulls & the other, well the other needed hot dogs & marshmallows to show off its unique ability.

09-24-09 12:34 AM
    I have enough firepower around here that the ATF keeps an eye on me.

And I encourage concealed carry with my people. Yes, at work, too.

But back to the topic at hand.

There are severe limitations with the way CDMA interacts with RIM servers. It can cause conflicts with WiFi, hence the restriction. People much smarter than I am, with closer ties to RIM say it is highly unlikely that if we do actually see a WiFi CDMA BlackBerry, it will not come close to the operation or performance of WM phones or GSM BlackBerrys.

The WiFi on my TP2 works very well - but is mostly unnecessary. WiFi is a bigger deal on BlackBerry, though - a good WM, Android, Palm or iPhone is faster given a cell connection so the WiFi advantage is more apparent.

Speaking of the TP2, it hasn't needed a restart all week. One Tour has needed a pair of battery pulls & the other, well the other needed hot dogs & marshmallows to show off its unique ability.

Of course permits are the key but most states you can't waltz in with concealed weapons without required paperwork or unless you are Rambo or reside in Az. I also advocate large amounts of heavy artillery.

On topic why does RIM require a restart when installing software? Aside from a couple of glitches at the beginning Tour is solid.

Wifi although would be nice is. Limited in usefulness. I'd rather have a good network backbone than a crappy one woth wifi. Wifi is only useful when browsing at Starbucks sipping lattes. In the real world you want a good cell signal.

Last edited by i7guy; 09-24-09 at 08:19 AM.
    09-24-09 08:15 AM
    You can expect a WIFI enabled blackberry when VZW releases a WIFI enabled blackberry... Hmm..
    09-24-09 08:43 AM
    WiFi! We dont need no stinking wifi!
    09-24-09 08:50 AM
    Of course permits are the key but most states you can't waltz in with concealed weapons without required paperwork or unless you are Rambo or reside in Az. I also advocate large amounts of heavy artillery.

On topic why does RIM require a restart when installing software? Aside from a couple of glitches at the beginning Tour is solid.

Wifi although would be nice is. Limited in usefulness. I'd rather have a good network backbone than a crappy one woth wifi. Wifi is only useful when browsing at Starbucks sipping lattes. In the real world you want a good cell signal.

theres no reason to think u can only have 1 without the other
    09-25-09 12:56 AM
    Um, 31 states allow open carry with no permit & 48 have sanctioned CCW permit laws.

So yes, in most states you CAN - unless you live in Illinois or Wisconsin. I can almost forgive WI, as the people are so nice - but Illinois really needs to secede & become part of Cuba or North Korea.
    theres no reason to think u can only have 1 without the other
    You can have both - its known as TP2.

Why do you some of you keep demanding power windows & seats on a VW Type I? Or a Lada? The power toys come standard on the real phones.

Early dinner this evening with a well-placed product planner. Asked him why my S2s don't have WiFi. He asked me why I wanted WiFi on them, since I have other phones with it. I told him of the chatter that the S2 is coming with WiFi. His deadpan response, and I quote: "That would be news to me."

We'll learn his honesty in (maybe) a few weeks.

09-25-09 01:47 AM
    Um, 31 states allow open carry with no permit & 48 have sanctioned CCW permit laws.

...snip...
    While I'm for the right of private citizens to bear arms, I'm against carrying weapons on the street. So thankfully in my state you will go to the slammer if you do not have a valid permit. Not that it stops the crooks....
    09-25-09 08:39 AM
    didn't youtube videos posted here show the S2 having wifi?
    10-08-09 04:52 PM
    Hmmm, well, the storm 2 I was using last week was interesting. Trying to remember whether it had wifi or not
    10-08-09 06:43 PM
    And the S2 I am posting from is also interesting - in a clickety click kind of way.

I am also trying to recall if it has WiFi or not.
    10-08-09 06:48 PM
    And the S2 I am posting from is also interesting - in a clickety click kind of way.

I am also trying to recall if it has WiFi or not.
    Don't you hate it when that happens
    10-08-09 07:40 PM
    Don't you hate it when that happens
    Age-related memory issues happen.

Too many mercury-laden vaccinations, too much HFCS, too many preservatives & not enough good Scotch whisky.

I definitely hate it when that happens.

10-08-09 08:53 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD