10-08-09 07:53 PM
42 12
tools
    My NE2 is coming up Oct 1. and I really want a blackberry. Only problem is my signal is trash in my house and dont want to shell out 250 for an extender. I dont talk to much on my phone at home so it would not be worth it.

I have wifi in the house but verizon does not have a wifi blackberry which is absurd. Will we be seeing one this year? The essex looks great i loved the feel of the tour in the store and this device with wifi would be great. Any chance it makes it out this year?
    09-22-09 07:26 PM
    Quite possibly not before LTE.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-22-09 08:14 PM
    My NE2 is coming up Oct 1. and I really want a blackberry. Only problem is my signal is trash in my house and dont want to shell out 250 for an extender. I dont talk to much on my phone at home so it would not be worth it.

I have wifi in the house but verizon does not have a wifi blackberry which is absurd. Will we be seeing one this year? The essex looks great i loved the feel of the tour in the store and this device with wifi would be great. Any chance it makes it out this year?
    This is only a guess. You probably will not be able to make phone calls via wifi, it would be great if that worked. I have a network extender because I'm in a dead zone. (not literally but cell service is unreliable).

In theory, you could use a voip app to make calls through wifi, but that would be the limit unless Verizon mixes it up a bit.
    09-22-09 10:01 PM
    Quite possibly not before LTE.

Does the Storm 2 not have Wi-Fi? It had been my understanding that it did...
    09-22-09 11:40 PM
    My speculation on lack of wi-fi enabled blackberries is that the connections might have compatibility issues, as they do on data cards. (Which is why we always say not to use wifi and cellular at the same time.) Not sure why this isn't an issue with windows mobile...or is it? Beats me, but as far as computers go, wi-fi and cell at same time = bad.

For what it's worth, I've noticed blackberries have an easier time holding a connection than other types of phones, due to their powerful, chunky batteries. What kind of phone do you currently have?
    09-23-09 12:03 AM
    There have been claims - but try as I might, I can't find any proof of it. The ones I have do not have it, although early protos had the option.

My speculation on lack of wi-fi enabled blackberries is that the connections might have compatibility issues, as they do on data cards. (Which is why we always say not to use wifi and cellular at the same time.) Not sure why this isn't an issue with windows mobile...or is it? Beats me, but as far as computers go, wi-fi and cell at same time = bad.

For what it's worth, I've noticed blackberries have an easier time holding a connection than other types of phones, due to their powerful, chunky batteries. What kind of phone do you currently have?
    There are issues with WiFi & RIM connectivity on CDMA networks. According to the RIM site, WiFi connectivity is only possible with a SIM card.

What chunky batteries? You might want to compare the TP2 battery with any stock BlackBerry battery. The TP2 battery is not only more potent, but it gives about 20% better real life use over BlackBerry. The O2 promises even more of an advantage.

Curve/Storm/Tour get me through about 12 hours of my day. As long as I stay away from WiFi, the TP2 gets me from start of day until the next morning before a battery swap.

To be fair, using WiFi does chew up the battery rather quickly.

09-23-09 01:16 AM
    TP2 battery is 1500 ma vs Tour at 1400. Jury is out on battery life on Tp2, according to my friend. Unless I stream music for a few hours or browse incessantly or use VZ Nav, battery life can last up to 2 days on Tour down to about 40% at end of 2nd day. Putting tour in holster aides in increasing battery life. Heavy phone activities can deplete the battery to 20% by about 11pm.

As my comment in another thread indicated, browsing and Youtube and streaming on TP2 will most probably result in equivalent battery life. Which is why friend is saying jury is out.

Of course, there is a 3300 ma battery available for the Tour.

Rumor has it Storm 2 will have wifi. We'll see how the rumor mill holds up when this thing is released.
    Last edited by i7guy; 09-23-09 at 02:24 AM.
    09-23-09 02:19 AM
    TP2 battery is 1500 ma vs Tour at 1400. Jury is out on battery life on Tp2, according to my friend. Unless I stream music for a few hours or browse incessantly or use VZ Nav, battery life can last up to 2 days on Tour down to about 40% at end of 2nd day.

As my comment in another thread indicated, doing the same on TP2 will most probably result in equivalent battery life.

Of course, there is a 3300 ma battery available for the Tour.

Rumor has it Storm 2 will have wifi. We'll see how the rumor mill holds up when this thing is released.
    I run them side by side, not by hearsay or rumor or fansites - TP2 is much better & O2 is better yet.

Even if you look at the specs - TP2 wins.

I don't stream music. Email, attachments, browsing. Light the Tour up @ 5A & it is beeping between 5P & 6P - sometimes sooner.

You really don't want that 3300 battery for Tour - some people think the TP2 is big - sheesh!
    09-23-09 02:24 AM
    I run them side by side, not by hearsay or rumor or fansites - TP2 is much better & O2 is better yet.

Even if you look at the specs - TP2 wins.

I don't stream music. Email, attachments, browsing. Light the Tour up @ 5A & it is beeping between 5P & 6P - sometimes sooner.

You really don't want that 3300 battery for Tour - some people think the TP2 is big - sheesh!
    Just like people who have the Tour report differing views on battery life, I would expect the same across different device models. If I literally only used the Tour for phone calls and emails, it's good to go for two straight days. Actually I could get about 3.5 days before radio went dead. But I hate charging in the middle of the day, and honestly I have a standby battery in case.
    Last edited by i7guy; 09-23-09 at 02:30 AM.
    09-23-09 02:28 AM
    Just like people who have the Tour report differing views on battery life, I would expect the same across different device models. If I literally only used the Tour for phone calls and emails, it's good to go for two straight days. Actually I could get about 3.5 days before radio went dead. But I hate charging in the middle of the day, and honestly I have a standby battery in case.
    As they say - your mileage may vary. This would depend on your usage patterns.

Mine remains fairly constant - plus we run battery life tests - some of which get used & published by the mags, rags & fansites, because ours are documented, repeatable & under constant conditions. Running the same routine on both devices, the two newest WM devices win - with larger & brighter screens.

There are several reports within I believe even the VZW reviews where folks left BlackBerry for the new HTC & they report better battery life. Well, except one who admitted he had it only for a couple days & really lit it up on day one.
    09-23-09 02:34 AM
    my storm has terrible reception.unless im really close to towers.really close. any solutions to this?
    09-23-09 02:34 AM
    i live in the country and they arent planning on towers any time soon.
    09-23-09 02:35 AM
    and if i buy a new battery will that help?
    09-23-09 02:36 AM
    You could get a femto - if you have a really good broadband connection. Personally, I found an amplifier system to be far superior & much more reliable.

Do an internet search for - "Wilson Electronics" cell - for more info.
    09-23-09 02:37 AM
    the BB S2 "WILL" have wifi!
    09-23-09 06:32 AM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f145/5-...9550-a-319853/

Kevin's photoshop skills is on point. He added the word Wi-Fi in that picture that shows the current OS for the 9550. People listen to incorrect information all the time, so it's understandable. Nothing I enjoy more than watching people hold on tight to incorrect information. It makes "I told you so" so much sweeter.
    09-23-09 07:24 AM

Mine remains fairly constant - plus we run battery life tests - some of which get used & published by the mags, rags & fansites, because ours are documented, repeatable & under constant conditions. Running the same routine on both devices, the two newest WM devices win - with larger & brighter screens.

There are several reports within I believe even the VZW reviews where folks left BlackBerry for the new HTC & they report better battery life. Well, except one who admitted he had it only for a couple days & really lit it up on day one.
    Battery life tests, IMO, are in the samae category as EPA milage estimates. Kind of the thing that happened with the Prius, where some Prius owners got only slightly better mileage than a 'Vette EPA estimate.

So while theoretically one may think the TP2 should get better battery life than the Tour, out in the real world it may not pan out that way. I do agree in general a bigger battery means more life and operating system support for power features can also have a tremendous effect on battery life. Also a bigger screen will drain the battery faster than a small screen.

As always caveat emptor and YMMV.
    09-23-09 07:26 AM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f145/5-...9550-a-319853/

Kevin's photoshop skills is on point. He added the word Wi-Fi in that picture that shows the current OS for the 9550. People listen to incorrect information all the time, so it's understandable. Nothing I enjoy more than watching people hold on tight to incorrect information. It makes "I told you so" so much sweeter.
    I seem to recall similar PP presentations regarding the Curve & Storm, too - many of those articles were yanked when those phones arrived, sans WiFi.

Besides, as I have mentioned before - I couldn't care less if it does come with WiFi. What I have said is to not put so much faith into what it might have or, based on RIM's recent record, that it will even be a good device.

If I am wrong, I am wrong - no big deal. Right now, based on a number of things including some I can't divulge, I don't think I am.

Regardless, if I am unhappy with a device, I can change in a heartbeat - over & over again. And I will always revel in the fact I am not tied to the simpleton BlackBerry platform.
    This time next year, come back & tell us how well you still like BlackBerry when every other smartphone out there, including some multimedia phones, can do so much more & do it more reliably.

The "I told you so" will truly be sweet then.
    09-23-09 08:34 AM
    ^That statement in itself lies the problem. I'm loyal to no company and often praise numerous phone devices. RIM aren't the only phones at my disposal. Heck, there were times when I agreed with you when talking about the other devices, though I wouldn't go as far as to call BB platform simpleton. People just need to know that because you love your phone, doesn't make them the greatest.

Edit: Friday, I should have the Nokia N900 in my hands. I'm already foaming at the mouth.
    09-23-09 08:54 AM
    I agree with the original premise of the thread. I've used my wife's curve 2 8900 from Tmob and the wifi rocks when you have good reception. It blows away 3g.
    09-23-09 05:20 PM
    Ya the only reason i want wifi is to use the internet and what not on. Would make for much quicker downloads of APPS and what not. Being my first blackberry i would have quite alot of stuff to download Also i am a college student and wifi in every building would make the experience much better as well.

If my computer is run on wifi from a computer in a different room would I be able to plug in my blackberry to my computer and download stuff through that? Sorry new to the whole smart phone thing, thanks for any help.
    09-23-09 05:33 PM
    For many things, yes - you can transfer from your computer to your smartphone.

09-23-09 06:35 PM

What chunky batteries? You might want to compare the TP2 battery with any stock BlackBerry battery. The TP2 battery is not only more potent, but it gives about 20% better real life use over BlackBerry. The O2 promises even more of an advantage.
    I honestly haven't messed too much with the TP2. I have a friend that has it, so I might ask him to let me play a bit.

Still holding out for that Omnia 2...
    09-23-09 07:20 PM
    I honestly haven't messed too much with the TP2. I have a friend that has it, so I might ask him to let me play a bit.

Still holding out for that Omnia 2...
    That O2 still promises to be very nice. My sudden issue with it is there were many promises of further enhancements - some I have been running - that would give TouchWiz2 a leg up on the HTC creation.

Now it seems these will be held back until at least January & we may not see them until WM7 arrives.

Oh well - I just signed off on a rash of new TP2 phones for the guys. Running on our Enterprise server, they will have push email & more. Perfect for shutting up the very few BlackBerry fans I have left at the shop.

It is incredible - springtime last year, we had about half our guys recommending BlackBerrys. Same people, but the BlackBerry fans have dropped to a grand total of three ardent BlackBerry fans, a net conversion of about 45 people. My IT guys never liked BlackBerry, even when BlackBerry was a decent choice.

And two of my IT guys recently added the title of "Dr." & one teaches at a local college. They really must not know what they are doing.

Overall, my guys now laugh at BlackBerry - some are waiting for the O2 & some have snapped up TP2 - and they are so adamently anti-BlackBerry, they make ME sound like a BlackBerry fan.

09-23-09 09:05 PM

Regarding battery life; I would LOVE my blackberry battery to last two days.
    Mine lasts about 1.5 days if I am careful not to use a lot of data.
    The one thing I KNOW drains my battery the fastest is BBM. A long session will drain half my battery in no time.
    I use it a lot since my supervisor and a couple collegues are on tmobile. I use BBM to keep my sms usage down.
    Plans are to get an extended battery and the sake that I carry my usb cord in my purse since Im almost always near a computer.
    I advise customers generally to charge the phone every night.
    I might be wrong but thats what I do; on a good day my battery gets me from 5a-10p or later.
    Past two days Ive had to charge by 5p because Ive been using BBM a lot.
    take it for what its worth.
    09-23-09 09:11 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD