Whats with the lack of phones? I know its typical, i know its common, but what i don't know is WHY.

Every single thread regarding a new phone (curve, bold, thunder, etc, etc) is filled with the same exact people, saying the same exact thing in every thread
    "i have a friend who told me ...."
    "i stopped in the store and the rep told me ...."
    "im going to leave to go to att if they dont tell us something ...."
    blah blah blah

So again, my question is WHY? Why dont we have the Bold? Why did it take a year to get the curve? Why dont we have the iphone??

Is VZW a cheap company and doesn't offer high bids for these contracts when they are offered? Or is ATT just in bed wih sooo many people, they dont even offer it to VZW?

They absolutely must be recognizing the loss of customers to their competition for no other reason than "i want the newest/coolest phone!"

So whats the deal?

Sorry for rant, im just ... pissed that i cant have the Bold lol. I ws originally pissed i couldn't have the curve for a LONG time, but now the Bold is rumored so i want that lol. I'm willing to pay, there is no reason i shouldn't be able to have it.
    Last edited by JeffH; 09-09-08 at 12:36 PM. Reason: language
    09-09-08 12:17 PM
    Here is the problem with Verizon they test there phones out to make sure they work on Verizon's network. AT&T only cares about making money with new phones and customers. I could care less about a new phone if the network doesn't work! I had AT&T and they suck big time matter of fact I called them the other day and the AT&T CSR was pissed off @ the computer because it crashed on him while he tried to help me!
    09-09-08 12:39 PM
    Losing what customers? Verizon's had the lowest churn rate of any national carrier for several years now.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-09-08 01:01 PM
    Uh. Why don't you go ahead and do a search for the storm, then come back and tell me what you find out...

09-09-08 01:03 PM
    CDMA signal... need i say more?
    09-09-08 01:08 PM
    Here is the problem with Verizon they test there phones out to make sure they work on Verizon's network. AT&T only cares about making money with new phones and customers. I could care less about a new phone if the network doesn't work! I had AT&T and they suck big time matter of fact I called them the other day and the AT&T CSR was pissed off @ the computer because it crashed on him while he tried to help me!
    Ummmm I believe the Bold has been pushed back several times to make sure it works on the network. Also, what other phones are you referring to that do not work on AT&T's network? It seems that the iphone is the phone with the issues. And if AT&T service is not good in your area, then that's cool... get a better provider, but to say they sucks depends on who has them. You will find people who hate VZW but loves Sprint. Those that hate Sprint but loves AT&T so it all depends on your needs. Maybe you should have done more research and you wouldn't have had the issues because you would have picked the right company FOR YOU at the right time.

As far as phones go, Jenay is trying to point you in the direction that VZW right now seems to be the exclusive provider for the touchscreen blackberry. So maybe they will start coming out with phones sooner. This was one of the reasons I switched. I loved VZW but I also just love having new devices at my disposal. So where I lived is great too. So it was an obvious switch for me.

I also read a few times, that devices that need CDMA technology can take longer in development because the CDMA technology is so strong it takes more and more testing to get things done. So manufacturers like RIM, Motorola etc... are able to produce a GSM device quicker because it is more widely used at this time. Not that it's better, just used more.

A lot of the times, a carrier requests the manufacturer to make a device specifically to be exclusive for them for a period of time. Maybe VZW reuqested the Storm before anyone and who knows, this could set a precedent.
    09-09-08 01:18 PM
    For a brief second, yes just a brief one, I considered getting an Iphone. I called Verizon to cancel my services (4 lines) and they offered me a 1 month credit (appx $300) to stay in addition to sending me 4 new phones, two of which are the world phones all for free. Awesome huh?
    09-09-08 01:25 PM
    That's verizon that's why the have the best service and network. Apple wanted to much for the iphone but keep in mind they went to verizon first because they have the best service they settle for att because they would put up with apples craziness. I played with the iphone at best buy I'm not impressed.
    09-09-08 01:49 PM
    CDMA carriers always have fewer phones to offer. It's the nature of the market. As VZW migrates to LTE, this will become less of a problem. However, this will occur over some number of years.

-Rai

09-09-08 02:17 PM
    I believe that Verizon is the largest and BEST carrier and they simply don't need to compete with getting the latest phones.

As much as it is annoying, I would not leave Verizon. Oh how I wanted a Razr! Oh goodness I wanted it so badly. Turns out it was a piece of junk anyway!

Other than the above, I can't tell you why they never have the greatest phones. (Or should I say "latest")
    09-10-08 04:51 PM
    Huh. I don't think the numbers support you. But, I will say the carriers in general are facing growth issues in the U.S. That is when compared to the past.
    Verizon is the best carrier in my area.
    09-10-08 05:08 PM
    I had verizon for the longest time. i won't lie, the service was great, I never had one dropped call and I had reception even when I went on hikes in the mountains. I went through their cr*ppy quality phones about every three months due to software malfunctions, got completly RAKED on my phone bill every month and when I would go in they always had the worst customer service skills. Need I not mention the terrible selection of phones. We finally bit the 500 dollar bullet and cancelled our contracts so we could have blackberrys. I'm now happily married to T-Mobile, and I couldn't be happier. Signal isn't as great, but HOLY COW, they have about 10,000 phones to choose from and they are just like ice cream on a hot day.

Plus I love the color pink.
    Nuff said.
    09-10-08 05:30 PM
    I believe that Verizon is the largest and BEST carrier and they simply don't need to compete with getting the latest phones.

As much as it is annoying, I would not leave Verizon. Oh how I wanted a Razr! Oh goodness I wanted it so badly. Turns out it was a piece of junk anyway!

Other than the above, I can't tell you why they never have the greatest phones. (Or should I say "latest")
    LMFAO so verizon doesnt need to compete now?...lol....
    does verizon take brain cells with every dollar they take from you every month?
    largest? maybe
    best?..its all about perspective
    i like paying less and getting more with TMO
    09-10-08 05:38 PM
    I had verizon for the longest time. i won't lie, the service was great, I never had one dropped call and I had reception even when I went on hikes in the mountains. I went through their cr*ppy quality phones about every three months due to software malfunctions, got completly RAKED on my phone bill every month and when I would go in they always had the worst customer service skills. Need I not mention the terrible selection of phones. We finally bit the 500 dollar bullet and cancelled our contracts so we could have blackberrys. I'm now happily married to T-Mobile, and I couldn't be happier. Signal isn't as great, but HOLY COW, they have about 10,000 phones to choose from and they are just like ice cream on a hot day.

Plus I love the color pink.
    Nuff said.
    no not nuff said....free tethering... TMO where unlimited data is just that UNLIMITED
    in my experience i see no diffrence in the signal ..all depends on where you live i guess.....at a friends house in pittsburgh verizon is a dead zone but TMO works so who knows
    09-10-08 05:41 PM
    no not nuff said....free tethering... TMO where unlimited data is just that UNLIMITED
    in my experience i see no diffrence in the signal ..all depends on where you live i guess.....at a friends house in pittsburgh verizon is a dead zone but TMO works so who knows
    Oh yes, I almost forgot... UNLIMITED EVERYTHING FOR WAY LESS MONEY! You just made my day by reminding me of this! Haha!
    09-10-08 05:45 PM
    LMFAO so verizon doesnt need to compete now?...lol....
    does verizon take brain cells with every dollar they take from you every month?
    largest? maybe
    best?..its all about perspective
    i like paying less and getting more with TMO
    Brain cells? Is this that kind of message board? Where people are just bored and looking to make inane comments.

It's a fact Verizon is the largest and most popular provider. For that reason, they don't need as many gimmicks. Yes, there are benefits to other providers.
    09-11-08 11:03 AM
    Paying less and getting more with TMO? Hahahahahahaha

Wow...paying less? You're absolutley right, getting more? You couldn't be more wrong. Verizon has the largest network, TMO has the smallest. So...where are you getting more? Dropped calls? Possibly.

However, on the flipside, some carriers have better coverage in different areas. So if you're in one of those areas that TMO has better coverage...than that's awesome. Stay with TMO. But looking at straight facts, statistics, and numbers...not opinions...VZW is far more superior than TMO.

09-14-08 10:19 AM
    Long and short there are multiple reasons.

1: CDMA Technology. Verizon can not force manufacturers to make products first for them, and if they were to buy it out, it would cost an arm and a leg. GSM is something that manufacturers make MASSIVE money on, the market is HUGE. While in the USA it's a close race between GSM and CDMA, globally it is not. They make the Sony phone for AT&T, that phone can be bought buy at&T... bam cash.... bought directly from a consumer from the manufacturer to use on their european network or somewhere here in the states, the market is larger. That is the bottom line.

Verizon would have to come up with massive money to buy the phones, that's why verizon focuses on testing, customer service, and the network, because as a company, they will NOT compete with GSM buddies in cell phone contracts without blowing to much money for what a VERY SMALL percentage of people care about.

We are techies, we love phones, but don't forget Verizon wireless has record breaking churn.... by a wide margin. Though the table is turning slowly, Verizon is working with it, but still 95% of consumers want the free phone, they want to buy it cheap, they want it to make and receive calls, that's it. Cool is fun, and it's getting to be what's "wanted". But it's got a long way to go yet.

There are other reasons, but none that really matter compared to this..... hope it helps.... its the honest truth and should explain it.
    09-14-08 11:31 AM
    They need the extra time to disable all of the cool stuff. Like GPS & MMS........
    09-14-08 12:02 PM
    Ouch!!! haha

They need the extra time to disable all of the cool stuff. Like GPS & MMS........
    09-14-08 12:59 PM
    Long and short there are multiple reasons.

1: CDMA Technology. Verizon can not force manufacturers to make products first for them, and if they were to buy it out, it would cost an arm and a leg. GSM is something that manufacturers make MASSIVE money on, the market is HUGE. While in the USA it's a close race between GSM and CDMA, globally it is not. They make the Sony phone for AT&T, that phone can be bought buy at&T... bam cash.... bought directly from a consumer from the manufacturer to use on their european network or somewhere here in the states, the market is larger. That is the bottom line.

Verizon would have to come up with massive money to buy the phones, that's why verizon focuses on testing, customer service, and the network, because as a company, they will NOT compete with GSM buddies in cell phone contracts without blowing to much money for what a VERY SMALL percentage of people care about.

We are techies, we love phones, but don't forget Verizon wireless has record breaking churn.... by a wide margin. Though the table is turning slowly, Verizon is working with it, but still 95% of consumers want the free phone, they want to buy it cheap, they want it to make and receive calls, that's it. Cool is fun, and it's getting to be what's "wanted". But it's got a long way to go yet.

There are other reasons, but none that really matter compared to this..... hope it helps.... its the honest truth and should explain it.
    verizon has the lowest churn in the industry. what exactly you mean by record breaking?
    09-14-08 01:08 PM
    record breaking, meaning it has the lowest churn EVER out of any provider..... Including when they broke the record last year with .97 churn it got even lower!

@ disabling the GPS please see my post in this forum where the customer is raving about VZW customer service, thread titled something like "VZW goes above and beyond again" or something, and MMS? Don't know a phone we have that can access the data network that can't do MMS, atleast restricted by us.... last I checked that was the Iphone and alltel blackberries......
    09-14-08 02:08 PM
    MMS? Really? You tried that one? Lol pretty sure MMS shouldn't even be anywhere on this thread. Like he said, the amazing iphone was the one that couldn't handle MMS yet for some reason any phone VZW has that can access the data network has MMS capabilities lol

09-14-08 03:15 PM
    For me it comes down to service network. I am an over the road truck driver, and while expensive, I get service in ALOT more places than I had in the past with AT&T or Nextel. Driving across the rocky mountains, and your blow a tire, you need reception. That is why I love verizon. They are there for me when I need them.
    09-14-08 05:00 PM
    and with alltel only covering 17% of our network, if aquisitions work out well we will be expanding that coverage DRAMATICALLY
    09-14-08 05:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD