I stopped by the local Verizon store the other day to look at the Bold 9930. Didn't see any BB on display on the floor. I asked the sales guy where the Blackberrys were and he said "oh we have them but they're in the back if anybody really wants one." I said why is that and he said "nobody wants that OS"! And he tried to steer me over to the Andriod phones.

I said I wanted to look at the iPhone. He walked me over to that small display but just kept talking about Droids.

Two things: Is this a Verizon policy to downplay BB or is it just this particular store and is Verizon pushing Andriod over iPhone because of some profit motive? (Maybe there's more margin in Motorola phones than Apple?)
    12-27-11 10:45 AM
    My guess is it's not a corporate store. Beats me why they would have that attitude, but the salesperson obviously is enamored with droids. Must not have learned their job is to satisfy the customer, not themselves.

Every VZW store I've been in, has BlackBerries as prominently displayed as any other platform.
    12-27-11 10:55 AM
    You aren't the only one that's noticed this from Verizon employees. Since June of 2011 I have been darkening the doors of my local Verizon stores and though they have two BBs on display the salespeople have nothing good to say about them.

They immediately start jumping on the old rag on BB wagon but when you point out the deficiencies of the other phones you get this blank stare or the "quit wasting my time look".

In June I was asking if they were getting the PlayBook and the guy didn't know when it was coming in....translation he was useless. Now we all know when...never. Too bad for them.

Verizon is like any other business, they are only interested in the current flavor of the month. In fact I will say they wish they had been AT&T when the iPhone came out, had been in on the ground floor of that gold mine.So to make up for that all they do is market their Android phones that look like an iPhone. When was the last time they had a big marketing campaign for a phone with a physical keyboard? How many of those type of phones are our there? You'd think with the boomer generation getting older there would be a big push for phones marketed to them and all their disposable income. But then these phone companies have never been really innovative, they just play catch up.
    12-27-11 11:23 AM
    Verizon stopped pushing BlackBerry's when the Droid came out in late 2009 since it was the only true competition to AT&T's exclusive iPhone.

Now that they have 4G LTE up and running, they only want to push 4G LTE phones like the Razr, Bionic, Galaxy Nexus, etc. The iPhone does great since - well it's the iPhone. And Verizon has spent millions on advertising their Droid brand and perhaps billions on their 4G network so naturally they want you to get a 4G Droid.

BlackBerry is in a bad situation. They don't have 4G LTE phones and they're not Apple, and most importantly they don't have the apps the average person wants on their phones. Not to mention BlackBerry's being terrible in advertising the new BB 7 lineup, at least in the U.S.
    12-27-11 03:32 PM
    I second all the above comments. Verizon has been pushing Droid products really hard for quite some time now. This is the latest "it" thing. Unfortunately, it seems as though Verizon caters it's business towards these current, "supreme" phones. And like clockwork Verizon will continue to have a killer business because society is well-groomed to have the best, most up-to-date model of everything. As awesome as I think Droids and the iPhone are, I will continue to support BB. I think RIM continues to cater to the serious business people of the world. It's a solid build (which, don't get me wrong, can stand to make some improvements) that may not be a popular choice at the moment, but will continue to have longevity.
    jerry12 likes this.
    12-27-11 09:07 PM
    Now that they have 4G LTE up and running, they only want to push 4G LTE phones like the Razr, Bionic, Galaxy Nexus, etc. The iPhone does great since - well it's the iPhone. And Verizon has spent millions on advertising their Droid brand and perhaps billions on their 4G network so naturally they want you to get a 4G Droid.

BlackBerry is in a bad situation. They don't have 4G LTE phones and they're not Apple, and most importantly they don't have the apps the average person wants on their phones. Not to mention BlackBerry's being terrible in advertising the new BB 7 lineup, at least in the U.S.
    You nailed it on the head. Why would they want to push a product that does not use the network they're spending billions to push out? Since BB is happily staying on the sidelines, far, far away from advancing, they're getting the credit they deserve.
    GingerSnapsBack likes this.
    12-28-11 10:33 AM
    wow this is weird, i went into the vzw (corporate) store in my mall and saw only the 9930 on display... i was there to purchase the bold and while there i asked if they also sold the torch, he said yeah and said "we have one in the back if someone wants to see it"... he also tried to sway me towards the droids.. then his coworker chimed in.. i felt like i was being ganged up on.
    12-30-11 11:09 AM
    Androids are selling, so the reps push those. BB is lacking unfortunately. When my wife and I went back to Verizon to sign up, we both knew what we wanted. She wanted an iPhone, and I had to be on a BB. The store rep looked at us like we were crazy, because we had no interest in Android. We didn't want that, but she still pushed it, until I gave her the we are not the average customer line. I don't think that she believed me though.
    12-31-11 08:35 AM
    Mabe I'm "old school", but when I think, see or hear ANDROID it reminds me of the younger generation, Blackberry reminds me of professional mature consumers and thats how I vision Verizon ...or use too. I also went into a Verizon store and they attempted to persued me towards Androids.....why? I have a theory....Androids releases phones every 3 months or so it seems, and the younger gen has to have whats "now", that concept is a money maker. The more "reserved" consumer tends to hold on to a phone longer, and that is not a money maker.....of course this is just my opinion. Verizon is in it for the money....do you blame them
    JR A and Artemis68 like this.
    12-31-11 09:04 AM
    If the corporate store I usually go into is any indication, then VZW has adopted a policy to discourage anyone from buying a Blackberry. Even the store manager attempted to move me into an Android. Also, the quality of store personnel seems to have fallen off drastically. All current Blackberry devices were on display but nobody wanted to sell one. Seemed like corporate policy to me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-31-11 12:11 PM
    I don't think it's a anti-BlackBerry thing necessarily. They're also known to discourage buyers who want a Windows Phone and even in some cases the iPhone since it's only a 3G phone.

Verizon wants everyone to know, they're the first true, fastest growing 4G network and will sway you to get a 4G LTE device at the expense of other brands. It's going to be interesting around 2012-2013 when BlackBerry and Windows Phone do have LTE phones and whether this kind of stuff is still going on.
    Last edited by BB.David; 01-02-12 at 03:24 PM.
    JR A likes this.
    01-01-12 12:50 AM
    It's going to be interesting around 2012-2013 when BlackBerry and Windows Phone do have LTE phones and whether this kind of stuff is still going on.
    Maybe, by that time, VZW will have fixed their network and can reclaim their title as "most reliable network."
    Haven't there been a few breakdowns over the past few months? Seems the RIM servers only fail about once a year.

In the meantime, with the battery life I get from my Bold on 3G I'm sticking with what I've got...for now.

01-01-12 07:56 AM
    Maybe, by that time, VZW will have fixed their network and can reclaim their title as "most reliable network."
    Haven't there been a few breakdowns over the past few months? Seems the RIM servers only fail about once a year.

In the meantime, with the battery life I get from my Bold on 3G I'm sticking with what I've got...for now.

To my knowledge RIM servers have only failed once in several years, RIM has been solid for years, and one of the most reliable and secure devices on the planet
    01-02-12 10:52 AM
    March 2010 and Oct 2011. There's 2 for ya.

01-02-12 12:25 PM
    March 2010 and Oct 2011. There's 2 for ya.

Not aware of the March 2010, I had a curve 8330 at that time and I do not recall that outage. How long did it last? Who was effected? Was it world wide like the last one?
    01-02-12 12:49 PM
    After further research there has been "carrier" outages during that time (Jan), but not RIM outages and only in certain areas ....hummmm
    01-02-12 01:11 PM
    Not aware of the March 2010, I had a curve 8330 at that time and I do not recall that outage. How long did it last? Who was effected? Was it world wide like the last one?
    Europe and US I believe. Nothing like last October. There was another in Feb 09, I believe. I'm not complaining about the outages.

My Bold is first and foremost a communications/PDA device. It is an invaluable work tool. I'll never own an Android device and just don't care for the iPhone.

Blackberry has it's virtues along side the other formats (data compression, push email, etc.) but the VZW reps, from management on down, just want to switch a BB user to another format.

01-02-12 02:54 PM
    I think VZW employees may get paid more commission for selling Androids/iPhones over BBs. I do recall VZW having (not sure if they still are doing it) a deal for people who bought the new Curve on contract, they could get a "social" data plan for like $10 that included a couple hundred MBs and access to FB/BBM/IM/etc. So basically, when someone signs up for that, VZW loses out on the extra $20 that the person would have had to pay to get a "regular" data plan on iPhones and Androids.

I love my Android (Thunderbolt) but I can see why people like Blackberries. They are also really cost efficient in terms of data so BB users are probably way more likely to do well on a lower cost data plan (VZW currently offers 300MB for like 20 bucks) and that's just not good for VZW in terms of them getting as much money as they can.
    01-02-12 03:10 PM
    If you go to Verizon's website and then to the forum you will see that Verizon is having all kinds of trouble with the 4G network and the 4G phones have issues plus even the new samsung galaxy nexus is having reception issues so i will stick with my BB9930 for a while longer in fact it looks better to me all the time.
    01-02-12 09:43 PM
    Yeah, same deal here where I live. The VZW store is one of the high-volume corporate stores and they dont have any displays for BB either (not even a single dummy unit) I confronted the manager about it...his response was "Oh! We have BlackBerry displays...in the back *with a dumb grin*" Pissed me off. The local "Authorized VZW retailer" however has impressive BB displays... Thats where I do my business
    01-02-12 10:39 PM
    Seems to be about "who you ask" in my area. For the record, let me say, I TOTALLY despise Verizon's current "meet them at the door and make them wait" retail setup.....

Anywho, I visited a couple of the larger stores and Best Buy locations in my area during the holidays. I seriously thought about gifting myself the 9930 for Christmas. From my experience, the younger, less experinced sales reps seemed to be the ones "knocking" my requests to see Blackberry devices. I got a "Droids are way coooler", a "you know nobody really uses Blackberry's anymore".....one young fellow at Best Buy went as far to comment, "you don't look old enough to want a Blackberry"....really???

I chatted with an older gentleman at one of the larger Verizon stores. On our way to the BB section, he asked if there were specific reasons I was opting '"to stay with the BB technology". I gave him my spill and he lead me straight to the new Bold. He promptly went into the device's specifics, and covered the "improvements" from the 9650 to the 9930.

We chatted for a few more minutes, and he tossed me a card so I could ask for him if/when I decided to make my purchase. However, before I left he noted that he'd had several "former" BB customers move over to the Android technology. Although, based on my needs/wants he was pretty certain I should stick with BB, I might want to at least read up on the technology.......

That's how you sell a phone. You ask me what I what I want, LISTEN TO MY RESPONSE, then give me the info I need. Oh, and yeah....I'll be asking for him when I make my purchase
    01-03-12 02:39 PM
    My Verizon store only had two BB's on display. I didn't really get much information from the sales people that worked there. In fact, it seemed that I knew more about the Bold 9930 then he did. I went and looked at the Blackberry's at Best Buy and the guy there tried to get me to go for an android. I've got one already. If I wanted another one I would be looking at androids, not Blackberry's. I don't have one yet, still trying to decide between the Bold 9900/9930 or the Torch 9810.
    01-07-12 11:43 AM
    Where I live and the store I got they really don't have any on display. But they have them and offer them before androids. Which the one lady prefers android she also use to be very big into bb she said a lot don't place them on display because main office is more focused on sales of android devices. She also said that Blackberries sale better at that store than androids but varies place to place wishes they could put more on display
    01-11-12 06:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD