Hi,newbie here and first post. What the heck is up with Verizon? I went down to our Verizon store to check out the new Bold and Torch, walked in, started browsing and a sales person asked if I could be helped. I asked where the BlackBerries were. She said they're no longer on display, nobody buys them anyway. I said " That's a stupid comment, why do you think I'm here ?" She said we have demos in the back she could bring out. They had Apple products everywhere and some Androids. What's going on?
    Last edited by rotorwrench; 09-15-11 at 02:42 AM.
    09-15-11 01:55 AM
    Could just be where you're located. The verizons near me all have really nice displays for the 9930 and a big sign in the window for the 9850 coming soon.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    09-15-11 02:04 AM
    If you look in the other sub-forums, you'll see several threads of people sharing similar experiences.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-15-11 02:25 AM
    Sorry, hadn't read any of the subs yet. I was in there a month ago and they had half a wall of BlackBerry display.
    09-15-11 02:44 AM
    Maybe the manager of this office is one of those creepy guys that made apple his god.
    09-15-11 02:46 AM
    They have two Apple products: the iPhone 4 and the iPad 2. I doubt they were everywhere.
    09-15-11 02:46 AM
    i went to the verizon store the other day and they had the 9360, 9850, 9930 and some other model on display. must be just where you are located.

btw the 9360 they had clearly stated "Now with OS 6" on its display tag but it was clearly running OS 5. so i went ahead and did a wireless update on it for them when no one was looking LOL.
    elphie28 likes this.
    09-15-11 07:08 AM
    i went to the verizon store the other day and they had the 9360, 9850, 9930 and some other model on display. must be just where you are located.

btw the 9360 they had clearly stated "Now with OS 6" on its display tag but it was clearly running OS 5. so i went ahead and did a wireless update on it for them when no one was looking LOL.
    You should have left the CrackBerry Launcher on the home screen too.
    09-15-11 07:26 AM
    You should have left the CrackBerry Launcher on the home screen too.

i shouldve. i had to intercept the sales people at the door. as soon as they approached me and asked if i needed help, i was tempted to tell them they needed some.
    09-15-11 08:11 AM
    The sales people at Verizon have in their heads that Android and iphone are the best devices and blackberry is dead. With the release of these new devices I believe it will start to turn around as long as RIM gives these new devices support so that there aren't any major issues.

09-15-11 08:25 AM
    The sales people at Verizon have in their heads that Android and iphone are the best devices and blackberry is dead. With the release of these new devices I believe it will start to turn around as long as RIM gives these new devices support so that there aren't any major issues.

The only thing is RIM has lost so much market share that it'll probably take more than a few OS7 devices to win back the masses. I'm hoping that QNX will help put BB back on the map, but they've got a lot of catching up to do. The ex got an iPhone last night from my sister. It's nice. It's cute and it's tempting but I'm holding out for QNX.
    09-15-11 09:18 AM
    Moved to Verizon Forum
    09-15-11 09:27 AM
    My local Verizon store experience was very similar to the OP's -- they sold Blackberries but apparently you had to know some sort of secret handshake or something before they'd actually show one to you. There were Droids and Apples on prominent display, but the floor had been scrubbed of all things Blackberry. They actually had very large Apple displays with Iphones on one side of the store, Ipads on the other. There were 5 identical Iphones on display, generously spaced apart. The Droid displays had an array of models and manufacturers. I asked if they had the 9900 and the rep, furtive-like, said "Wait here", and after a few minutes in the back of the store comes out carrying a brand new 9900. I suppose they should get high marks for having it charged. It's more than a little nutty, because the 9900 was easily the newest, shiniest, bestest phone in the store on that day, at least, and they might as well have had it hidden under a rock. I wonder how it works? It seemed as if Verizon makes all of its stores "carry" Blackberry (although the salesmanship reminded me of an old comedy album from the 70's, "Monty Python's Contractual Obligation Album"), but they allow the independent stores to make whatever display deals they want.
    09-15-11 09:31 AM
    Verizon store employees do the best they can to steer customers away from Blackberry. With the recent release of the BB9930, I was interested in checking out the device as it would be my first BB (previously Droid 2 Global - dislike). Two employees told me I didn't want a BB, as if they knew my needs. I need/want a phone, I don't need/want a toy (android). BB9930 was delivered on 9/6 and just love it. Thought the battery would be a bit better than the droid that sucked battery life, a little disappointed from that aspect but overall, glad I went the direction of BB.
    09-15-11 10:08 AM
    I went into my local Verizon store yesterday to check out the new Bold and they had no Blackberries on display. I asked about them and the salesgal brought out a demo unit of the new Bold and the new Torch. She was very nice about answering my questions and even told me she is using the Iphone 4 currently, but is getting the new Bold next week. I asked why and she said she misses alot of the Blackberry features. And, when I asked where I could see the accessories for the new Blackberries, she said they are kept out back. But she did bring me out all available cases since that is what I was interested in.

There were no signs on the windows or any advertisements in the store for the Blackberries.

On a side note, I appreciated being able to spend 15 minutes with the phone walking around the store instead of the unit being tethered to a wire. Gave me a good chance to feel the unit, make calls, take pics, surf the web and a few other things.

Still on the fence about it with the camera. Loved my 9650 camera. Very nice unit though.
    09-15-11 10:22 AM
    I beleive that VZW has a commitment which was made clear by the Vice-Pres. of VZW not too long ago to support BlackBerry devices but even when I went to buy my 9930 what use to be a BB display in the front of the store was now in the very back. Even several reps that were carrying Android phone told me that they carry them to push them more than any other phone they sell including Iphone which one salesperson told me he knew nothing about the phone.

It is really said to see the writing on the wall that carriers are getting heavier incentives for Android based phones than any other.
    09-15-11 11:48 AM
    The VZN store closest to where I live has a good mix of Blackberry, Apple and Android phones on display. When I was last in there on Sunday, I did a double take because they still have a Storm 2 on display.
    09-15-11 01:48 PM
    I wonder, as VZW has now moved away from unlimited data, if there's profit motive to steer customers to those most data-heavy devices to go for chase overages and higher data plans.
    09-15-11 10:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD