There's a symbol on every Verizon Wireless device and this is the one with a cycle and a cross in it. Can somebody tell me what this is? Is this some kind of spotting the phone? I want it, too

The symbol I am talking about is the one in the picture below, that is right below the bluetooth icon

05-16-11 04:03 PM
    GPS 10 char.
    05-16-11 04:17 PM
    That's the GPS indicator. Yours is set to "off" or "E911" only. If it were on, using Google maps or VZ Navigator, there would be three little ")" after it...indicating it was active.
    05-16-11 04:59 PM
    And does this make the phone traceable? BTW, I cannot use VZ Navigator on a 9780, can I?
    05-17-11 05:27 AM
    The police can ALWAY trace your phone. That's the 911 only part. It's required by law.
    05-17-11 08:20 AM
    Actually CDMA phones with A-GPS can find you within a few yards in good conditions. When having to fall back on CDMA tower trilateration, it's within 150 - 600 feet.

Since most E911 calls come from inside buildings where GPS doesn't work as well, most E911 calls therefore use cell tower methods. Newer A-GPS chips can change this ratio somewhat, as they can receive usable signals even deep in buildings.
    05-17-11 08:39 AM
    While you have to pay for VZ Navigator, there are lots of other FREE apps you can install that will make use of that built in GPS. For example, I like to map my run and make a breadcrumb trail of where I've been. I also like to go geocaching. Plus of course you can use Blackberry maps or even Google maps to tell where you are. I bought another app that auto detects when my car's bluetooth radio turns off. It assumes the car also just turned off, so it records where I parked in case I forget. Plus you can install an app to locate your phone if you loose it. So there are lots of positive good uses for that gps. And no, an ex spouse will not find you unless you have expressly 'allowed' it somehow.
    05-20-11 12:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD