So earlier today while talking about BB6 with some friends someone started talking about a RUIM card, they said that card could make it possible for a GSM phone to run on CDMA, such as the Torch and iPhone. Can someone explain what the card is and what it is used for. I did a google search and only got confused.
    08-05-10 05:15 PM
    So you and your friends sit around and talk about operating systems? Time to get out of the house.

But ive never heard of anything like that, i think one of your buddies was pulling your leg.
    08-05-10 05:30 PM
    No, no, no. It was more like this,, one or two have att, the other 3 or 4 that i was with have Verizon. We were on our way to the mall, getting ready for a party this weekend. I said something about the new Torch running bb6 and thats when the RUIM thing came up
    08-05-10 05:34 PM
    08-05-10 05:38 PM
    It's the equivalent of a SIM for CDMA.
    Currently the ESN for a CDMA phone is in the phone.
    This allows you to swap phones and not have to go to the carrier website and update ESN. CDMA carriers don't like it because they can no longer limit equipment.

Right now unless you buy a Verizon branded phone you cannot use Verizon's service. This opens the door. Been around for a while and no US CDMA carrier has adopted it and won't until they have to use LTE or something else.
    08-05-10 06:02 PM
    Okay Genius,,, If you would have read in my original post I said I had done a google search and got confused, I wanted to know if someone could explain it to me. If your not gonna read my whole post before posting dont' post at all.
    08-05-10 06:35 PM
    It's the equivalent of a SIM for CDMA.
    Currently the ESN for a CDMA phone is in the phone.
    This allows you to swap phones and not have to go to the carrier website and update ESN. CDMA carriers don't like it because they can no longer limit equipment.

Right now unless you buy a Verizon branded phone you cannot use Verizon's service. This opens the door. Been around for a while and no US CDMA carrier has adopted it and won't until they have to use LTE or something else.
    Thank You, for the explanation and for reading the entire post.
    08-05-10 06:35 PM
    Okay Genius,,, If you would have read in my original post I said I had done a google search and got confused, I wanted to know if someone could explain it to me. If your not gonna read my whole post before posting dont' post at all.
    Well, I did read your whole post, that's why I linked some SIMPLE explanations. In particular the last link spells in out in VERY BASIC terms.

Sorry that it was over your (or is it you're) head.

And don't (dont') worry, I won't post in any more of "your" threads.

Good luck!
    08-05-10 06:43 PM
    She has a holier than thou attitude all the time. Dont mind her. If shes not busting balls, shes not posting.

Hope you figured out what you were looking for.
    08-05-10 06:53 PM
    Well, I did read your whole post, that's why I linked some SIMPLE explanations. In particular the last link spells in out in VERY BASIC terms.

Sorry that it was over your (or is it you're) head.

And don't (dont') worry, I won't post in any more of "your" threads.

Good luck!
    Definitions of rude on the Web:

•ill-mannered: socially incorrect in behavior; "resentment flared at such an unmannered intrusion"
    •ill-bred: (of persons) lacking in refinement or grace
    •uncivil: lacking civility or good manners; "want nothing from you but to get away from your uncivil tongue

.. they can't help it if they are Rude I guess
    Last edited by DavidNC; 08-09-10 at 10:05 AM.
    08-09-10 06:20 AM
    In theory it could work, but in pratice it won't since the US carriers don't use RUIMs
    08-09-10 10:51 AM
    Can't we all get along?..lol I would expect this behaviour on a WM site or *gasp* iOS site but not a BlackBerry site. We are better than everyone else.
    08-09-10 06:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD