06-29-09 10:19 PM
26 12
tools
    i am a devout VZW customer but i keep hearing that AT&T is the fastest 3G network, just wondering if there is any truth to this or just advertisement scheme?
    12-20-08 11:21 PM
    There are so many variables involved it's not even worth debating.

Like the Avitar though. War Eagles!
    12-20-08 11:27 PM
    not sure if its the fastest in SW Missouri, but i do know they screwed me and my wife over bigger than crap (for something their "autorized agent" done and most of the people i know here are alltel customers and going to stick with verizon after the merger so they don't have to deal with at&t............

I do know that CDMA Rev A is supposed to be faster than 3G though.....
    12-20-08 11:30 PM
    The simple answer is it all depends on where u live and whose got the best coverage in the area u live in

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-21-08 12:37 AM
    Ya this thread wont have any flame jobs or anything. LOL As for me I have had a great time with att, have lots of friends on tmo and vzw and they all say they are fast. I will say this even with all the problems and BS with sprint, there internet was the fastest that I have ever had on a phone.
    12-21-08 12:44 AM
    Most people I know in New York, particularly Manhattan, are very happy with Verizon. Some of my friends have iPhones and it seems like they have less 3G coverage than my 8330.
    12-21-08 08:14 PM
    Hi,

I unlocked my verizon storm, used it in Los Angeles on AT&T and
    I can definitely say that AT&T in my experience is faster

Also reception is almost always full and I can view videos on Youtube faster than on my bold for some reason

I also travel to vancouver BC every two weeks and have used the storm on the Rogers wireless network there, and it's decent on there network as well.
    12-21-08 08:20 PM
    I've always had VZW and no problems. My co-worker has att and he has to go outside to get a reception, we live in a fairly metro area. I've already converted 4 co-workers from other carriers to VZW, I should so be on their payroll.

12-22-08 07:12 AM
    I know a lot of people that have switched over to VZW as well. I don't understand these AT&T is the fastest network commercials. I guess it is all relative. However, I will say in my experience that VZW is definitely the fastest with the best coverage. You can even find speed comparison tests online.
    12-22-08 08:28 AM
    Where are these speed comparison tests?

06-28-09 01:03 PM
    Where are these speed comparison tests?

You can find some online but most have some serious problems with credibility. There was one late last year that placed Sprint on top, but those who know what they are talking about debunked it pretty soundly because of variables that weren't accounted for and probable slants it reporting. The Sprint one they took completely different equipment and setup at predetermined locations. All were in Sprint strong spots and well away from the verizon and att towers. But that is Giz for you. One of their biggest advertisers is Sprint.

Overall verizon stomps att. There are a few places where att wins out but there may also be a few spots tmob wins out too. The stories of the immature development and maintenance of the att network are legendary and easy to find.

06-28-09 01:18 PM
    AT&T has the highest MAX speed right now, though the network is garbage because of the iPhone. VZW has a faster AVG speed
    06-28-09 01:19 PM
    AT&T has the highest MAX speed right now, though the network is garbage because of the iPhone. VZW has a faster AVG speed

+1

technical speaking verizon is actually maxed out and doesn't even see there top speeds anymore but this will all change with lte
    06-28-09 01:35 PM
    +1

technical speaking verizon is actually maxed out and doesn't even see there top speeds anymore but this will all change with lte
    LTE on both carriers will be ridiculous
    06-28-09 01:36 PM
    AT&T may be faster in some places, but Verizon is very close on speed and Verizon's 3G network makes AT&T's look like an ant, its not even a comptetition, Verizon kills them
    06-28-09 02:05 PM
    +1

Somewhat true, but only with some huge caveats.

AT&T is potentially faster in spots where they have implemented HSDPA/HSPA. This is only a small portion of their network. Their 3G implementation hasn't been anything to write home about.

CDMA slows down a bit on high demand, where GSM simply can't allow more users above a certain point.

As stated above, VZW has a much higher average speed and the higher speeds are available in a much wider area than AT&T.

LTE will be a ridiculous speed increase, but again, VZW will be there first, with a much larger bandwidth allotment. So again, higher realized speeds will be much more likely on VZW than AT&T.

As for speed testing, VZW is the only carrier that conducts all of its own quality testing. Where they find an issue, they fix it. Other carriers pay someone else to do tests & tell them where to do these tests. Then they trumpet the results. Think of the difference this way - if I have a Hemi Cuda and want to claim it is the fastest, I hire someone to check it out on a quarter mile straight track. I conveniently leave out testing at Nurburgring or Suzuka, because I know my car would get spanked by any Cadillac CTS, BMW 3-Series sedan or VW GTI. But based on the results, my car is the fastest - in my contracted tests.

Do you only run your phone in optimum conditions for the network? If not, why listen to tests optimized for a network or theoretical maximums?

06-28-09 02:31 PM
    Hi,

Also reception is almost always full and I can view videos on Youtube faster than on my bold for some reason

I also travel to vancouver BC every two weeks and have used the storm on the Rogers wireless network there, and it's decent on there network as well.
    This post doesn't make any sense. The Storm cannot get on GSM 3G networks. The radio isn't built for it. There is no reason you should be experiencing faster connection rates on EDGE vs. EVDO, or even 1X for that matter...
    06-28-09 09:14 PM
    some speeds have to do with the phones so there is no real test unless you had a gsm and a cdma version of the same phone with all the same settings etc
    06-29-09 01:00 AM
    Me i think verizon is the fastest at least for the ny area cant say about any where else.
    06-29-09 01:27 PM
    some speeds have to do with the phones so there is no real test unless you had a gsm and a cdma version of the same phone with all the same settings etc
    Or, as we test, with equipment that is device independent, multiple antenna types, in both mobile & stationary use.

It is much more accurate than comparing phones & it takes the RIM server connection variables out of the loop - more useful than having a pair or people standing around with Curves on different carriers.

A reminder that speed tests CANNOT be accurately performed on any BlackBerry device unless you're running the speed test on a tethered computer, using something other than Access Manager - preferably something like Windows DUN.

06-29-09 02:23 PM
    The ATT store is 2 miles from my house, yet my son can not use his iPhone inside.

When I called to see if they were going to put any new towers up, I was told, "not in the next 10 years".
    06-29-09 02:32 PM
    as taylor said, there's SOOO many things you've had to isolate to do a true test it's pretty much impossible. Just pick one that has the features and phones you want. And don't worry, be happy!
    06-29-09 02:35 PM
    zzzzzzzzzzzz on this worn out arguement
    06-29-09 02:45 PM
    zzzzzzzzzzzz on this worn out arguement
    Trying to figure out where the argument is here. Maybe someone needs to learn to read instead of trying to cause trouble?

Overall speed and coverage is one thing. People seem to want to know what is faster or better than something else. Averages being what they are, I have seen the figures and verizon is faster in many more places than att is. Are they faster or better for you? Well you can do the subjective thing and hope you're right or you can pay thousands of dollars for a signal analysis for the spot you're using it and oh no, you don't want to move! Or you can look for some published averages and hope for the best.

06-29-09 03:33 PM
    Hi,

I was also wondering how that could possibly work!!! Considering At&t is GSM and Verizon is CDMA!!!
    06-29-09 08:39 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD