My 8830 usb port device pins are broken and loose, so it isn't going to charge again. This leaves me with no mobile device at all. This is my second 8830 and even though I have the insurance and could replace it again, here is my dilemma.........

I could spend the $50 deductible for 8830 #3, but.......I had been holding out for one of the new berrys to hit Verizon this summer to redeem my NE2. Now it looks like I will be purchasing sooner rather than later.

Anybody want to tell me what you would do in my situation and why? I had the 8830 when it was brand new as my first blackberry. My job doesn't demand it, but I check personal and work e-mail from it and use BB Messenger and social apps. I am a heavy calendar user, and I do use the Internet Brower with Google Mobile Apps.

I know I am making this too hard, but I was holding out for a chance to compare the Tour, Storm and Pearl Flip to my 8830 and now I don't think that I will be able to wait that long. I didn't mention the Curve because my Mom has one, and I know what it can do....

Thanks for any and all input.
    06-21-09 08:38 PM
    Check ebay or CraigsList for an 8830 to hold you over.
    06-21-09 08:51 PM
    Those mini usb connections are fragile I think that's why they went micro usb. My boss broke 4 mini usb connections.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-21-09 09:02 PM
    Why not get a charging cradle that uses the contacts on the back/bottom of the phone to charge it until your at your upgrade status...I think I've seen the charging cradles for less than $15..just a thought.
    Now that I think about it..I'm not familiar with that phone so I dont even know if their are contacts on the bottom or not..just an idea off the top of my head. Also maybe get a charger that charges just the battery. Good luck with what you decide.

JC
    Last edited by JCook111; 06-22-09 at 12:48 AM.
    06-22-09 12:38 AM
    i would hold out in anyway possible for as long as you can to use your ne2..

the tour is going to be a great device
    06-22-09 01:49 AM
    U could just do the insurance replacement then sell it on ebay or craigslist when the new BBs come out and you see one you'd like to upgrade to.

06-22-09 01:54 AM
    the tour is going to be a great device
    Thats what they said about the Storm... LOL
    I definately hope that the Tour lives up to expectations.
    06-22-09 12:29 PM
    Check around town for a local cellular repair shop. We have a few in our area and fixing a broken port would be like 20$ plus cost of parts, so figure 9.50 for the USB board and you're set. Check any electronics repair stores as well, anyone who has the part and is dynamite with a soldering iron can probably ease your pains.
    06-23-09 09:27 AM
    Get a replacement from the insurance and save that upgrade. They may even give you a newer phone through the insurance, if they dont have any 8830's (Since its an older device).
    06-23-09 10:32 AM
    i would get something to charge my battery and wait till the tour drops.
    06-23-09 10:43 AM
    Get a replacement from the insurance and save that upgrade. They may even give you a newer phone through the insurance, if they dont have any 8830's (Since its an older device).
    Yea right, they're using those things to hold up desks and build forts in the Asurion warehouse.
    06-23-09 11:15 AM
    What would I do?

I'd use my universal electronics tool, a 10# sledgehammer, of course!

Follow it up with some AR15 action.

The leftists would blame Marine training.

Back to seriousness... your phone should have a pair of electric contacts on the back, meaning it is compatible with a charging cradle. Look online & you can find them cheap. The online store here has them, as does Amazon, AccessoryGeeks.com, etc. Get the best deal & fast shipping.

With a little work, you might even be able to sync to your computer using bluetooth, if necessary.

Then when you get a new phone, donate the old one to Asurion - I hear they may have some extra desks in disrepair.

06-23-09 03:43 PM
    Yep, get the cradle charger. I'm getting one specifically to save wear on my usb port.

06-23-09 04:19 PM
    I will get a charging cradle. Cheapest solution.
    06-24-09 03:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD