08-05-08 06:08 PM
28 12
tools
    I found this article here and thought that it was very interesting and good for people on this forum to be aware of.A former Verizon sales rep, let's call him Steve, wrote to us recently offering insider advice to all Consumerist readers. We were excited because by knowing how the sales force at Verizon are compensated, consumers can get an edge when haggling over a new phone. What? Haggling!? Over a phone!? Yes, even you can do it. Verizon Steve confesses all he knows, from the simple to the sublime...:

Never get a 2-year contract. "The only benefit to a 2 yr contract is a $50 savings on your phone. Its not worth it. Take the $50 and get a 1 year then you can upgrade to a new phone every 10 months."

Verizon reps get tons of money from new lines and certain accessories and text packages, take advantage of this. They won't let a new customer walk out the door. "Play hardball, they will do anything to get the new lines. VZW makes $ off the service, not the phones. Tell them you don't want to mail in the rebate. There does come a point of diminishing returns. For example, if you walked in and wanted a $39 plan and a free Treo 700, not gonna happen. But I have given away almost every non-PDA phone in the store for the right deal. Also tell them you will buy the accessories, and text package. Trust me here, these are 2 of the biggest metrics for the reps. Return the accessories the next day and call customer care to cancel your text package."

Mention the lost or stolen program to get 25% off a new phone, even if you're under contract. Who's to say you didn't lose it?

If you're on a rate plan of $59.99 or higher, you can get "a new phone (and new contract) for the discounted price after 12 months."

Insurance is a rip-off. It costs too much and has a $50 deductible.

Tell them you'll sign up for the Unlimited Data Plan with your Treo. "Speaking of Treos, often they offer an extra $100 off if you get the Unlimited data plan. Get it.. Save $100 and cancel it the next day if you don't want it. The leverage here is amazing also because that high end data package counts as a new activation in a roundabout way for the rep. None of the data packages are contractual. I use to tell the customers this just to save them $."

Reps don't get as much money if you're still in a contract. If you upgrade on the phone with Verizon, the store reps won't be as motivated to help you.

Ask for a loyalty credit on the phone before going to the store. "One way to work the system if you have New Every 2 and are out of contract is to call customer care, have them put you back into contract, but ask for a loyalty credit (up to $60 off your next months bill), then go into the retail store and use your New Every 2. The two credits can't be combined and that is the only way to get both. I've never seen this not work, although they could technically say that you already got a credit, but the system are not that informative and I have never seen that happen. Just make sure you know the contract rules for VZW in your state, and make sure you go to the store in time to cancel the new contract in case you cant use the NE2."
    06-25-08 10:26 PM
    yea thats on the consumerist blog. The Consumerist: Shoppers Bite Back type in verizon wireless in the search and it pulls up all kinds of ****. each company has its own catches. vzw just happens to have the most lol. and they sell their serivce as if we pick our friends by if they have vzw and can use the "in" bull****. like texts are 500 "out of network" and unlimited "in" for 10 bucks. like someone knows what network their friend in cali has.
    06-25-08 11:18 PM
    HAHA HOLY CRAP!!!! StICKIN IT TO THE MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    06-26-08 02:16 AM
    I'm not sure how up to date all this is as a current Verizon employee I couldn't stop laughing while reading it as most of it is not true

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-26-08 03:29 AM
    I Jus Switch to Verizon AHHH!!!! lol
    06-26-08 07:01 AM
    This is pretty old btw.
    06-26-08 11:08 AM
    Is that bit about the >= $60 contract actually true? That's one I haven't seen work as of yet.
    06-27-08 09:52 PM
    I concur with justagirl, as a VZW rep I can tell you this is very outdated and was worth a laugh or two myself.
    06-27-08 11:30 PM
    it's somewhat humorous that VZ reps are debunking the "chinks in the VZ armor". Most VZ customers know (or should know) that simply mentioning online promos (whether genuine or not) gets you all kinds of freebies from VZ operators (er, 'customer service representatives'). Not very well-informed on the other end of the line + petrified of losing customers.
    06-28-08 05:38 PM
    It was accurate up to 2003 when I left vzw as a sales rep there
    07-28-08 06:54 PM
    lol as a csr working for vzw i laugh at all that false information
    07-28-08 08:56 PM
    It was accurate up to 2003 when I left vzw as a sales rep there
    This is VZW, we get changes everyday. Mr Madden 01 it has been 5 years for you. You should not live in the past and quote what us unknown to you.
    07-28-08 09:08 PM
    It has to be quite old...I got $100 off my phone on top of a discount bc my account is in VIP standing <~whatever that means.
    And its pretty easy to see who is on the VZW network or not, just pull up your account on their website and it tells you which phone calls and text messages are IN or out
    Last edited by WackBerry; 07-28-08 at 11:57 PM.
    07-28-08 11:55 PM
    Is that bit about the >= $60 contract actually true? That's one I haven't seen work as of yet.
    Yep it is still true. They told me this exact info when I signed up in Sep '07. I considered signing a 1 year contract instead and they said don't worry, you can still upgrade after a year since you're the primary line, if you get that plan. I also went into the store a couple weeks ago and they confirmed I will indeed get my upgrade this September, although with a $20 annual upgrade fee, no biggie though.

-Caleb
    07-29-08 01:38 AM
    Yep it is still true. They told me this exact info when I signed up in Sep '07. I considered signing a 1 year contract instead and they said don't worry, you can still upgrade after a year since you're the primary line, if you get that plan. I also went into the store a couple weeks ago and they confirmed I will indeed get my upgrade this September, although with a $20 annual upgrade fee, no biggie though.

-Caleb
    the difference between 1 and 2 year prices is upwards of 80$ or more.
    07-29-08 02:15 AM
    interesting post...I have been with verizon for 4 years, and when I had my treo some of the original posters info applied
    07-29-08 07:50 AM
    I'm not sure how up to date all this is as a current Verizon employee I couldn't stop laughing while reading it as most of it is not true

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Yep.......same here
    07-29-08 09:08 AM
    This information is not up-to-date at all. My mother and several friends work for Verizon, and every single one of them say that these tactics won't work, simply due to the fact that these "facts" and "loopholes" are no longer practiced by Verizon. Think of it this way: If someone has this kind of info and is randomly posting it on a public forum, don't you think that Verizon is aware of this and has taken steps to resolve these issues? Come on now...
    07-29-08 09:22 AM
    Most of the statements are no longer accurate. First, the difference between a 1 and 2 year contract is equal to the cost of breaking the contract. I realized that you were better off saving the money (now I believe it was $120) and later paying to break the contract since that's $120 you can use for a year and spend it in a year if you want out of your contract. I didn't realize this originally. I'm also guessing that you'll have no less (possibly more) leverage when you tell the representative you are willing and are going to sever your agreement, which means you may be of a mindset that you're easily willing to pay out of pocket to leave VZW. I'm sure the difference is marginal, at best but the point about getting the 2 year contract and pyaing to be out is valid. You still have your "new every 2" deal if you want to complete your 2 year contract.
    07-31-08 02:39 PM
    Wow, I'm kind of laughing at the let's pick VZW apart fest going on in that blog. I work for VZW and would have a hard time keeping a straight face if someone came in saying " You have to give me this discount because some guy on a blog said he used to work for you guys and I'm entitled." VZW reps are more than happy to look into every discount you're entitled to without trying to squeeze that extra out. Geez, our phones aren't THAT expensive, LOL!
    07-31-08 02:48 PM
    You work for Verizon yet you have T-Mobile service?
    07-31-08 03:39 PM
    Especially since they get service for almost free!
    07-31-08 04:00 PM
    I have been with Verizon for almost 14 years and I can say they have always done good by me! If not, I wouldn't have stayed. During that time my husband tried a few other carriers and in our area, nothing compared not even to Verizon's customer service. If I was upset, they solved it. If I wanted a phone, they found a way to make that happen.
    07-31-08 04:22 PM
    You work for Verizon yet you have T-Mobile service?
    LMAO... Toooo funny!
    07-31-08 07:33 PM

Insurance is a rip-off. It costs too much and has a $50 deductible.
    Better than paying full price if you break your phone.
    08-01-08 04:03 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD