I have a very sticky situation. I will start by saying I LOVE Blackberry and have been a loyal Verizon Wireless customer for 10+ years - I even have 4 lines on my 1 account.

Recently, my 9630 has been freezing/resetting/overheating more than usual. It is safe to say that I run a memory booster and pull the battery 2 or 3 times a day, just to keep it running. Also the track ball isn't what is used to be - I've only had the phone since July and my first one completely crashed. Verizon is now replacing this phone at no cost - I am happy for that, but this is my 2nd 9630 in 6 months!

My biggest issue now is service. I recently took a new job and I get almost ZERO service while at work. At least 75-80% of the time I am "searching for network" and the other 25-20% I am only at 1X. Needless to say, I have missed important phone calls many times while I am there, but Verizon said there is a tower less than 10 miles away! Most of my calls don't even ring thru. I just get a new notification of voicemail when I leave work. It's VERY annoying!
    The real kicker is the fact that there is an AT&T tower less than 2 miles away and my supervisor has suggested I switch to AT&T - it's not a bad idea and I'm keeping it as an option. What I would like to do is upgrade to a Bold 9650 so I could connect to the wifi at work and at least be able to communicate thru email and the internet. The Tour does not support wifi
    I spoke with Verizon about this and I already upgraded my roaming capabilities (via *228 #2) which I am hoping will increase my chances of getting any service at work - I will find out tomorrow morning.

Here's how I see it....
    A. I could switch to AT&T and get the Torch for $100 with a 2 year contract.
    B. Stick with this useless Tour and continue to become frustrated at work
    C. Pay $500+ for a Bold (without the upgrade discount, which is way out of my budget and out of the question)
    D. Continue to fight with Verizon to see how to solve this stupid problem.
    So, what should I do? Is it really worth switching to AT&T? I think that after all the early termination fees/setup fees for 4 freakin lines that I would just end up with a bigger headache and debt! I am so torn over this situation and have no idea what to do!!!!!!!!!!

Can anyone help or offer me some advice?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-04-10 09:36 PM
    I'm liking D.

Either that or get the Air Rave thing.

The signal boosting thing. Haha.

12-04-10 09:42 PM
    Air Rave? Ill have to look into that if I'm gonna keep the Tour.

I seriously have such a headache over this whole thing. Just what I wanted to do after working a 12 hour shift......shift from one customer service rep to another, be put on hold for over 20 minutes and literally fight for cell phone service!?!?

12-04-10 09:56 PM
    I'm liking D.

Either that or get the Air Rave thing.

The signal boosting thing. Haha.

Air Rave seems to only be offered thru Sprint. I'm stuck with VZW.

12-04-10 10:05 PM
    Well, you could just terminate your line. I'm with Sprint and have the same issues at home, but I have the Airave now and it helps a lot...I don't know about getting one for just work, where would you hide it there, under your desk? I didn't even kno verizon has an airave. If they do, talk them into giving it to you for free as this is past frustrating!

I doubt a Bold or any other device on Verizon will work at your office. I wouldn't do AT&T, but that's just me.

12-04-10 10:17 PM
    They do have a network extender. this might help.

12-05-10 12:37 AM
    Being near a tower is not a guarantee of better reception/service, so keep that in mind when you make your decision. It may cure your problem, it may not. If your building has a lot of metal in it's construction you more than likely *are* going to have issues probably no matter which phone/carrier you have.

Before I'd make the switch I'd find out if others in your office w/the same and other service have the same problems. I don't know for sure but maybe it's the Tour model that's the problem. Someone more versed than me in hardware could give more accurate input on that. Does it maybe need an OS upgrade? Could it be specifically your personal office where it's located in the bldg? Many variables to think about there.

Can you swap phones w/one of your kids or wife for the day a few times for testing purposes to see if the phone model itself might be part of or the problem.

The freezing/resetting thing began happening w/my Storm1. I went thru 2 replacements that wound up w/the same problem before I called to get the 2nd one replaced and for some reason *this* CS rep put me thru to a tech (none of the other reps had done this). The tech walked me thru some clean up steps, I guess you'd call it data clean up because it was internal not hardware related. After that was done my phone worked absolutely fine and has ever since which would be probably 2-3mos now. I wish I'd written down all these steps in case the problem starts up I could just do it myself.

If AT&T had good service I'd have switched over the day the Torch came out. But they don't. Nobody provides as good a service as VZW and so we stay w/them particularly cuz hubby travels. We tried Sprint to get cheaper ... after a year of messing with the lack of coverage nightmare they waived the ETF and we went back to VZW.
    12-05-10 01:32 AM
    Well, today was extremely frustrating! I updated the roaming capabilities and to no surprise, it did NOTHING to help. I'm too tired to get on the phone and fight with VZW. Ill probably call tomorrow afternoon after work.

Any advice on what I should demand?

12-05-10 07:28 PM
    Yep, I'd suggest looking into Verizon's Network Extender. They have a new model out that now supports both 3G phone and wireless. You just plug it into either modem or WiFi, wait an hour and it's good to go, no hassle, no settings to mess with, nothing. I just got mine a week ago, after moving into a new house. My signal went from nothing but an X (no signal) to, if I faced due North, held my breath, stuck one leg out and cocked my head, 1/2 bar, to between 3 - 5 bars, depending on where I am in the house. They retail for $249.00, kinda pricey, but you may be able to get VZW to give you a big discount on it.
    12-05-10 07:49 PM
    Well, today was extremely frustrating! I updated the roaming capabilities and to no surprise, it did NOTHING to help. I'm too tired to get on the phone and fight with VZW. Ill probably call tomorrow afternoon after work.

Any advice on what I should demand?

Why should you have to demand something? Why don't you explain your frustration and ask them to help you instead. Talk to tech, talk to a sup, have some one help you but there's no reason to act like a demanding child.

12-05-10 07:52 PM
    The other option is to add a line for 10 dollars and get the bold at the new customer price of 99.99.Then you can put that new bold on ur current phone number Yeah ur paying an extra 120 a year for a phone line ur not really using but it beats 500 full retail. Plus u could sell your tour on ebay and probably get 100 to 150 so that would pay for the first year of the 2 year contract. Just a thought, I've done this before.

12-05-10 08:00 PM
    Why should you have to demand something? Why don't you explain your frustration and ask them to help you instead. Talk to tech, talk to a sup, have some one help you but there's no reason to act like a demanding child.

I'm definately not trying to "act like a demanding child". It's the fact that I've explained my utter frustration with this issue and they seem to beat around the bush instead of fix/offer a solution to my problem. All I'm asking for is some reliable customer service to a 10+ year loyal customer. I've spent 1000's of dollars with this company and they've been fairly good to me over the years. I just assume, as a valued customer, they would want to keep me happy considering their lack of service in my particular area.
    For a big corporation like VZW, I think a replacement/upgrade/something should be offered to keep my business. I can't imagine a refurbished Bold costs the company irreversable financial damage!

I guess I could have used a better word than "demand". Point taken.

12-05-10 08:27 PM
    I'm definately not trying to "act like a demanding child". It's the fact that I've explained my utter frustration with this issue and they seem to beat around the bush instead of fix/offer a solution to my problem. All I'm asking for is some reliable customer service to a 10+ year loyal customer. I've spent 1000's of dollars with this company and they've been fairly good to me over the years. I just assume, as a valued customer, they would want to keep me happy considering their lack of service in my particular area.
    For a big corporation like VZW, I think a replacement/upgrade/something should be offered to keep my business. I can't imagine a refurbished Bold costs the company irreversable financial damage!

I guess I could have used a better word than "demand". Point taken.

Like I said ask to speak with Tech, ask to speak with a sup even. There is nothing wrong with getting your problem resolved, good luck.
    12-05-10 11:04 PM
    if you would be ok with a refurb Bold, ask if they will give you one or ask how much they'll sell one for. It should be well less than $500, I would think.

Why is work requesting you switch to ATT? Are they paying for your personal phone? Are you doing business on your personal phone?
    12-06-10 08:59 AM
    I've spent 1000's of dollars with this company and they've been fairly good to me over the years. I just assume, as a valued customer, they would want to keep me happy considering their lack of service in my particular area.
    I hear your frustration, I really do. However, no wireless company, including Verizon, guarantees service inside a building.

My recommendation would be to look into getting the Network Extender, so long as your company would let you plug the device into their ethernet (this is what my father's company does at his work; step outside, coverage, step inside, no coverage). The company might even be willing to pay for the extender if it allows you and other employees to receive important calls while at work. They could even get the models for AT&T and Sprint so all employees are served.

For you, my last recommendation would be, rather than switching to AT&T, you could switch to T-Mobile. They support UMA, which allows your phone to fully function over wi-fi, including calls, texts, and data.
    12-06-10 09:17 AM
    if you would be ok with a refurb Bold, ask if they will give you one or ask how much they'll sell one for. It should be well less than $500, I would think.

Why is work requesting you switch to ATT? Are they paying for your personal phone? Are you doing business on your personal phone?
    The refurbished Bold cost is a good question. I will be sure to ask them.
    As for the AT&T switch thing.....there is an AT&T tower about a mile up the road and my boss has an iphone with awesome service.

12-06-10 11:00 AM
    I've read this thread and you've been given great advice. The only thing that has not been mentioned is the possibility of a Hybrid PRL. This solution might not be an option for you, but it worked for me and continies to work. The hybrid can be pushed to your device easily and quickly. Doesn't hurt to ask.

12-06-10 01:01 PM
    Sounds pretty frustrating. Your best bet would be to inquire about a network extender. You probably wouldn't even need the 3G version if you didn't need the data too much at work, or at least 3G speeds. Might save you some money. Other than that, nothing else is really going to solve your problem, as it sounds like the building is probably causing the problem. CPO Bolds aren't available yet unless you do contract pricing it looks like. Like someone mentioned, you could do an addaline and get a Bold and sell your Tour, or even buy a Bold 3rd party. I've had a few Tours and have had the occassional trackball issues like most, but the phone shouldn't be lagging at all. I might recommend doing a full wipe of the phone and loading certain things back on manually. There might be something you're restoring in your phone (maybe from previous Tours) that could be causing it to run slowly. Hopefully you will find a solution soon that works for you.

Just reread your OP a bit and I would highly recommend doing that wipe. My current Tour doesn't run a memory booster or quick pull like many of my previous BB's. I don't have to pull the battery too often and the phone runs smoothly on 5.x. I don't think you should be having a problem at all. They will definitely send you out another Tour and you might even try that one, but the only way they'll give you a Bold is if the Tour's are not available.
    Last edited by ibanez37; 12-06-10 at 05:04 PM.
    12-06-10 04:59 PM
    Well, they (Verizon) sent me a replacement Tour and unfortunately it did the same thing! I dont know if its something in my data that I backed up or what, but about 3 minutes after activating it I was browsing the internet and it gave me the "white screen of death". It reset by itself the next day while in my pocket - I pulled it out randomly and it was in the process of rebooting.

To add insult to injury, I called up Verizon yesterday because my email was not coming thru and I explained that Im worried about this issue. While we were troubleshooting the problem, the phone reset itself! It was a perfect example of the stress I had been put thru the past couple months.

Verizon did the right thing in my moment of frustration and I just asked them to replace the Tour with a refurbished Bold. The 9650 should be here by tomorrow. Im excited, but will have to do a selective backup of all the stuff on my current BB. Hopefully its not something I had before that screwed up this current Tour.

oh well, at least its an upgrade!
    12-09-10 06:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD