Push is email is touted as an advantage BBs have over other smart phones. But my BIS on Verizon, connected to a gmail account and a standard IMAP, often takes up to 15 minutes to deliver messages to my phone. How is this any better than a regular IMAP poll that other phones do? As it stands push is more unreliable than a configurable IMAP setting would be. Not to mention that IMAP folders besides Inbox are not accessible. So why do we have BIS? What's the point?
    01-19-11 07:38 PM
    Something may be amiss with your setup, just a thought. My BlackBerry picks up a message before anything registers on my desktop whether my Yahoo!, Gmail, or work email, usually by a factor of 5 to 30 seconds.
    01-20-11 12:11 AM
    My BlackBerry picks up a message before anything registers on my desktop whether my Yahoo!, Gmail, or work email, usually by a factor of 5 to 30 seconds.
    Yep same here. Just last night was proving this to me. I was sending lots of e-mails from my Comcast account and they were showing up on my BlackBerry well before they came through on my computer.
    01-20-11 08:40 AM
    It is my understanding that email is received at a speed that is dependent on how frequently email is sent to you. If you are constantly receiving messages, they arrive on your BB fairly quick. If a significant amount of time elapses between messages, the "push" will default back to about 20 minutes. Sorry, don't remember the exact details but researched this a while back when experiencing a similar "lag" for email reception and, in my experience, seems to hold true.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-20-11 08:47 AM
    It is my understanding that email is received at a speed that is dependent on how frequently email is sent to you. If you are constantly receiving messages, they arrive on your BB fairly quick. If a significant amount of time elapses between messages, the "push" will default back to about 20 minutes. Sorry, don't remember the exact details but researched this a while back when experiencing a similar "lag" for email reception and, in my experience, seems to hold true.

Interesting. So how can I make messages come to my phone more quickly? This seems a bit silly...
    01-20-11 12:03 PM
    Interesting. So how can I make messages come to my phone more quickly? This seems a bit silly...
    I would have to research this again to answer your question. I did have a mail delivery issue and it was resolved by a call to CS. If your issue is constant you might want to give them a call. Personally, I receive email frequently enough that I rarely experience a delay.

01-20-11 02:25 PM
    OK this isn't really true.

Blackberry BIS is different from other smartphones in the sense that the Blackberry server in Waterloo does the "work" of checking your accounts and then sending new messages to your device, where as other smartphones fetch messages from your various accounts. In a sense, the Blackberry does less work, as your phone never initiates a connection to check for messages, whereas other smartphones will (and this is service-dependent).

Push e-mail only works for certain providers. Push is supposed to immediately deliver an e-mail to your phone when it arrives in your account. On your blackberry, this should work for Gmail, AOL, Yahoo, etc. For other smartphones, it varies (Gmail obviously works on Androids).

For the accounts that aren't configured for push, what you described above is true. If you're having an "active conversation", the blackberry server will check about once/minute for new messages. If no new message exists, it will then only check about once/quarter hour.

I think this has been explained elsewhere.

To answer the OP's question, the difference between Blackberry push and the push you get on other smartphones is that for the accounts that require fetch, the Blackberry server does it which leads to longer battery life and conserves data use whereas the other smartphones initiate a data connection to check.
    01-20-11 03:02 PM
    Same here! My wife forwarded a message from her laptop and "instantly" my BB dings!!
    01-20-11 03:17 PM
    My experience is mixed. My personal email (my own domain, not yahoo or gmail) is literally instant. I have another account configured through OWA, and it takes about 15 min. I find it annoying but have yet to be able to fix it. "Push" doesn't seem to be quick at all on the OWA account.

My wife's 8330 takes 15 min or so for both our personal email and her OWA work email account.

Thoughts?

01-20-11 05:45 PM
    01-20-11 06:12 PM
    Thanks for this. GMail is far from instantaneous for me. So my conclusion is that BB is worse at email than other phones. I love the keyboards and battery life but competitive advantage is dwindling fast for BBs as my contract expires...
    01-20-11 08:09 PM
    I have noticed the same thing with gmail over the last 3 months or so. Sometimes it takes 2 hours for me to get one on my blackberry, sometimes its instant. After searching on google I found a link that showed that google/gmail no longer supports push email on BIS. So I think this is a gmail/google thing and not a blackberry issue
    01-26-11 10:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD