Hey guys.

When I was with Sprint, my choice for OS was easy since the latest OS released was also released on Sprint's site.

However, with my Verizon Curve, I am wondering if you all use the latest VZW release, or deleted the vendor file to go to .131? (And I think .138 is out now).
    04-10-09 05:38 PM
    My IT/BES guys ran tests of .131 and found no advantages to it on VZW. The big differences are optimization for Sprint's video service and their MMS workaround, as the PCS technology they are using isn't the friendliest around for mms.

I've heard some say using the OS makes their Curve respond better, but they probably would get the same improvement with a wipe & reinstall of their existing OS.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-10-09 06:02 PM
    My IT/BES guys ran tests of .131 and found no advantages to it on VZW. The big differences are optimization for Sprint's video service and their MMS workaround, as the PCS technology they are using isn't the friendliest around for mms.

I've heard some say using the OS makes their Curve respond better, but they probably would get the same improvement with a wipe & reinstall of their existing OS.

K, thanks. I figured that the biggest difference would be the MMS. I'll just stick with the one already loaded on my Curve.
    04-10-09 06:45 PM
    I tried it on my personal phone - my IT guys put the kibosh on my work phone - and it did seem to speed things. But when I returned to the VZW release after two weeks, I got what appeared to be another boost.

I think that we get used to gradual clutter slowdowns, then when we do a fresh install, the change is a bit more dramatic.

Its easy enough to go baxck & forth if you'd like to try it yourself. You might find a different result.

04-10-09 07:22 PM
    My Storm is on .122.
    04-10-09 07:37 PM
    It depends on how the latest releases functions. If the latest leaked works on my BB without a problem I keep it installed. But if it starts or contains any major problems, I use the previous release. Currently, I am running .122 on my storm but previously I ran .113 even though .114 was available at the same time.

04-10-09 07:48 PM
    I'm on .131 and haven't really had any issues with it so I'll be sticking with it.
    04-10-09 07:57 PM
    I'm new to this and currently running .75, too nervous to try the upgrade attempt to the betas that are currently available.
    04-10-09 08:26 PM
    I'm new to this and currently running .75, too nervous to try the upgrade attempt to the betas that are currently available.
    There is nothing major to be afraid of when doing the update to the betas as long as you remember to do a complete backup (regular backup and 3rd party apps backup). As long as you do these, you can do a restore if something should go wrong. But I don't blame you for waiting since the storm is an expensive device and like anything expensive, you want to take good care of it.

04-10-09 08:42 PM
    Definitely - just take it a step at a time, and if you have problems, roll back.

I don't want to discourage anyone from a little fun in customizing their phone. Just know that there have been more than a few OS versions that have been turned down by the carriers because they didn't pass muster. Sometimes it is something minor and other times it is more than that.

But upgrades are reversible if you use common sense & follow the directions. And there are plenty of good directions in forums here. Just search for your model.

04-10-09 09:19 PM
    .75, I could update but I really don't feel the need to when it works just fine.
    04-10-09 10:56 PM
    Also, I guess it is worth mentioning when talking about .131. It is not a Beta, nor has it been turned down by any carriers. It is just a Sprint OS and not a Verizon one. (Like Twins said, probably due to MMS). So, it is a pretty safe thing to try out.
    04-10-09 11:25 PM
    8330/4.5.0.77

04-10-09 11:38 PM
    I'm on 122 here!
    04-11-09 07:44 AM
    I am on 4.5.0.77 and have no probprms with it at all. Yes on ver rare occassion I get a speaker blast, but it very rare.
    04-11-09 07:48 AM
    I'm running .131 on my Curve, I installed the leak to fix the speaker blast issue which it did, other than that, I see no difference between .131 and .77 official. I want to install .122 on my Storm, but i've learned to wait for the hype to die down 1st, plus I have upgrade fatigue with that phone.........
    04-11-09 10:10 AM
    I am on 4.5.0.77 and have no probprms with it at all. Yes on ver rare occassion I get a speaker blast, but it very rare.
    I installed .131 on my Verizon Curve (8830) and it seems to have cleared up the speaker blast.

But a timed-out screen is slower to awake (except when hitting the space bar) and I can't get into my email settings.
    04-11-09 10:44 AM
    im running 4.5.0.77 what is mine in need of an update? im new to blackberry
    04-12-09 07:24 PM
    This is the current version released by VZW
    04-12-09 07:33 PM
    im running 4.5.0.77 what is mine in need of an update? im new to blackberry
    As Lastraid mentioned, that is the latest for VZW Curves. Anything newer is only if you want to try something new in hopes of it running better. Some have said they have noticed improvements - I didn't notice any improvement, or really any difference at all with other versions, except for sporadic message errors.

Of course, I've never experienced the dreaded "speaker blast" - some have said the Sprint OS fixes this, while other have reported no change or it got worse. Some have said it makes their phone run better - I did notice a snappier response, but after two weeks, I returned to .77 and noticed a similar improvement. Wipe & reload seems to be responsible for speed improvementj not the OS change.

Since you're new to BlackBerry, I'd say leave it be. If you have a specific gripe you want to try correcting, you can try a new OS, as long as you back EVERYTHING up first.

04-12-09 08:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD