02-03-09 11:34 PM
45 12
tools
    I've always happy with my Verizon service. As far as coverage goes i have not been able to beat it. Only now that I want a blackberry am I like "Man they don't have the phone i want." (Ordering a storm on Monday)

As far a customer service goes, the last time I called to add a line to my phone it was one of the best experiences I've had. she made all the changes i needed, advised me on where i could save money, and even walked me through the plan changes i will make when i add my storm on monday.
    Last edited by X.armitage; 01-31-09 at 08:12 PM.
    01-31-09 08:07 PM
    Verizon bought that almost 10 billion dollar block of the 700mhz spectrum for a reason. they will probably be the first to deploy LTE and have the biggest, best 4g network, and get it up in major markets first.

so when t-mo is still trying to finish their 3g network, verizon will have 4g deployed in most major markets.

thats one reason i stay with them.
    01-31-09 08:41 PM
    I have four lines on my Verizon plan. I looked at switching to AT&T but the cost savings didn't warrant it. Only complaint I have with Verizon is that they neuter their phones (took forever to get GPS) and they don't offer the variety of phones. I'll probably upgrade later this year and I'll stick with Verizon.
    01-31-09 08:44 PM
    I guess it would depend where you are and what you need.

A couple of months ago I switched from Embarq (Sprint) to T-Mobile. I tried to go with Verizon first and there was no coverage for my area. I left Sprint because I was informed when I started my 2 year contract with them that if I carried insurance on my phones if ANYTHING happened to them I could get a NEW replacement no questions asked and NO EXTRA FEES. 3 months before my 2 years was up my flip phone was falling apart. I called CS and was informed that I would have to pay 100 dollars for a new phone if I resigned for another 2 years or I could pay 50 for a refurb and reup for 1 year. I was like WTF? I had already had several issues with their CS in the past and this just pushed it over the line.

I think most Sprint CSR's could reduce the entire planet's carbon footprint if they would quit talking out of thier asses so much.

I switched to tmo and have not looked back since. My coverage is awesome and my experience with their CSR's has been better than with ANY other company I have ever dealt with before. I would be willing to pay more if I had to just for better CS from anywhere.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-31-09 09:43 PM
    For me the first one between AT&T and Verizon to drop a 3G tower in my area get my service. I have Verizon right now but I'm just going to let my contract run out and wait.

02-01-09 06:19 PM
    Verizon does not force you into two year contracts. We have one year options, the phone just costs more.
    The idea that a phone can cost $500 with no plan is BS.

I guess my complaints belong to the phone companies in general, because none of them are stellar, but as most of my experience is with Verizon these comments are more directed towards them.

I paid a lot of money for this phone that is GPS enabled, so why does Verizon disable it? No other reason than to get stupid people to pay more per month.

I have to pay $30 extra for texting per month because my girlfriend has another carrier and Verizon offers plans only for "in" customers.

Then there's the little extras...just look through the VZ price plan guide...all these chippy fees for things like visual voicemail which should be standard.

I was in a VZ store (not to mention I knew more about the plans and phones than the reps did) and several people were complaining about the data plan at $30 - that's a DISCOUNT on the family plan, $30/month - and their excuse was "oh, it's worth it"

Yeahhh....rediculous.
    02-02-09 04:12 PM
    Verizon is my personal cell and I cant wait until my contract is up. Id probably try and break it if the Storm hadnt come out. Customer service is horrendous, and varies greatly by the person you happen to talk to. Whenever I have issues getting something done, I hang up and call back, and keep doing this until I get some one who can actually help me. I get fairly frequent dropped calls, and I rarely go farther that 10 miles from downtown Dallas, so coverage should be solid. Ive had Att for about a year for my company phone and Im much happier, just wish i could use it for all my calls, lol. Cant wait to jump the VZW ship!!!
    02-02-09 05:13 PM
    Verizon is my personal cell and I cant wait until my contract is up. Id probably try and break it if the Storm hadnt come out. Customer service is horrendous, and varies greatly by the person you happen to talk to. Whenever I have issues getting something done, I hang up and call back, and keep doing this until I get some one who can actually help me. I get fairly frequent dropped calls, and I rarely go farther that 10 miles from downtown Dallas, so coverage should be solid. Ive had Att for about a year for my company phone and Im much happier, just wish i could use it for all my calls, lol. Cant wait to jump the VZW ship!!!
    I've heard AT&T to have coverage and customer service problems as well. My main gripes come as a VZ customer, but there aren't any real enticing options to jump ship to.

The problem is industry-wide --- lots of hidden charges, poor customer service, expensive plans.

In an economy where every major corporation is being hit hard, Verizon doesn't seem to be having too many problems...do you really believe that's a result of strong customer service? LOL
    02-02-09 06:00 PM
    i personally LOVE verizon and am very proud of the company that it is. i have had all positive experiences except for one, and i know that has to probably happen everywhere because as people, we are all capable of having rough days. i have read a lot about the company, and i respect what it stands for. also, i know that verizon's number one concern is expanding and working to have the most reliable network and providing exceptional customer service, and so these are the 2 things they will constantly work to improve. of course no company is perfect, but i stand behind the company i give money to.
    02-02-09 07:07 PM
    I would have to agree! VZW is always trying to improve in 2 major areas. Customer service (which I believe is the best by far) and coverage. VZW spends BILLIONS annually on their network to make sure their coverage is the best. And I'm sure you can always find that care rep that doesn't care, but 99% of time they take care of you the first time. Most of the time its not bad service being offered by the rep anyhow. Think about how you feel if someone is yelling at you and demanding outrageous things! Some complaints are valid but a lot are not. Most reps will treat u with respect if u treat them the same.

02-03-09 12:53 AM
    I would have to agree! VZW is always trying to improve in 2 major areas. Customer service (which I believe is the best by far) and coverage. VZW spends BILLIONS annually on their network to make sure their coverage is the best. And I'm sure you can always find that care rep that doesn't care, but 99% of time they take care of you the first time. Most of the time its not bad service being offered by the rep anyhow. Think about how you feel if someone is yelling at you and demanding outrageous things! Some complaints are valid but a lot are not. Most reps will treat u with respect if u treat them the same.
    +1 Well said
    02-03-09 01:10 AM
    My experiences with Verizon have been excellent. I haven't had any complaints...I have been with them for almost 2 years now. I came from Cingular I left right before it became AT&T...I hated the service and the customer service. They didn't have all the phones that they have now...back when I was there all you could get was a Motorola or a Nokia...lol
    I think the main thing for me is the "In" Network. All of my family is on Verizon or Alltel...so I can get the minimum minute plan of 450...and only end up using like 100 of my minutes each month but I can talk up 1000's of minutes with my family on the "In" network...so for me it saves me a lot of money!
    I do wish that Verizon would get some of the "Red" Curves, Bolds or other Blackberry devices...I think Sprint and AT&T both have the Red Curve...and Verizon got the pink one maybe the Niagara will be red
    02-03-09 08:46 AM

This is probably the best advice. I work in CS and it's amazing the demands we get. If you take responsibility, instead of lying or acting dumb, we generally will help you more. The CSR you speak to on the phone has the same empowerment as a supervisor. Like you said though, most complains aren't valid, most of the time customers are looking to get credit by making up issues.
    02-03-09 07:21 PM
    The idea that a phone can cost $500 with no plan is BS.
    Complain to the phone maker. We generally buy/sell phones at FRP for nearly the same price we bought them at.

I have to pay $30 extra for texting per month because my girlfriend has another carrier and Verizon offers plans only for "in" customers.
    Your $30 texting plan is a select plan and gives you unlimited texting for up to five lines on your family share line. That is a discount if you have five lines and even 3 of them use texts. Our $20 plan is unl in w/ 5000 out of network. Do you send that many a month?

Then there's the little extras...just look through the VZ price plan guide...all these chippy fees for things like visual voicemail which should be standard.
    Why should it be standard?

I was in a VZ store (not to mention I knew more about the plans and phones than the reps did) and several people were complaining about the data plan at $30 - that's a DISCOUNT on the family plan, $30/month - and their excuse was "oh, it's worth it"

Yeahhh....rediculous.
    What?
    02-03-09 07:24 PM
    Complain to the phone maker. We generally buy/sell phones at FRP for nearly the same price we bought them at.

Your $30 texting plan is a select plan and gives you unlimited texting for up to five lines on your family share line. That is a discount if you have five lines and even 3 of them use texts. Our $20 plan is unl in w/ 5000 out of network. Do you send that many a month?

Why should it be standard?

What?
    1) How about not buying the phone if it's so ridiculously priced, to get the best prices for the customers?

2) Honestly, texting is not that big a service...not like data...you basically have to do the $30 texting plan, because doing just $15 for one line and $5 for another is not worth it, you might as well get the full deal...INtext is fine but if your friends don't have Verizon it's really difficult to get by on the limited stuff.

3) Because over time the services on the phone should grow as the prices grow - instead, the services stay the same and you have to pay for each little thing. How about offering a package of 2-3 add-ons (GPS, Voicemail, etc) of your choice to stand out amongst competitors? No, they won't, they want to rape your wallet. All of the carriers do.

4) Forcing you into 2-year "unlimited" data plans while locking GPS on the phone is not fair. I pay a ton of money to VZ and for them to force me into a data plan (no wifi) and disable parts of my phone...NOT fair.
    02-03-09 07:43 PM
    What?
    My thoughts too.

I love how people perceive something incorrectly or hear a story that a friend of a friend of a neighbor's mother-in-law and it is suddenly the carrier's fault.

Or they are in a reseller's store, want to think it is the carrier's employees & it is again the carrier's fault.

Or they just assume grass is greener elsewhere & it magically is.

VZW has to pay for things and these people think they should get it for free.

We're sorry mobile phone carriers - you are not allowed to make a profit & should give away the store.

02-03-09 08:39 PM
    To the OP about what is Verizon Wireless going to do as other carriers catch up in current generation coverage...were you not watching the results of the spectrum auction that VZW dominated with LTE? You think VZW has a huge advantage with coverage now..just wait until LTE launches.
    02-03-09 09:00 PM
    1) How about not buying the phone if it's so ridiculously priced, to get the best prices for the customers?
    So we should not buy blackberries or LG's? That would really make customers happy!

2) Honestly, texting is not that big a service...not like data...you basically have to do the $30 texting plan, because doing just $15 for one line and $5 for another is not worth it, you might as well get the full deal...INtext is fine but if your friends don't have Verizon it's really difficult to get by on the limited stuff.
    You don't have to do anything. I know lots of customers who have two lines with $10 each and save the $10 a month. If you don't feel it is a good value, don't pay it. I can say though, we offer better texting plans that AT&T when priced matched.

3) Because over time the services on the phone should grow as the prices grow - instead, the services stay the same and you have to pay for each little thing. How about offering a package of 2-3 add-ons (GPS, Voicemail, etc) of your choice to stand out amongst competitors? No, they won't, they want to rape your wallet. All of the carriers do.
    We do offer plans that include things, connect plans, premium plans etc. Other things costs us money and they're a service, a convenience, that VzW provides. Of course there will be a charge. We have a business to run, we're not a non-profit I'm sorry to tell you. Just to let you know though, we take most of that profit and invest it back in our network to make coverage and reliability better for you.

4) Forcing you into 2-year "unlimited" data plans while locking GPS on the phone is not fair. I pay a ton of money to VZ and for them to force me into a data plan (no wifi) and disable parts of my phone...NOT fair.
    I can list phones that have wifi on Verizon. Now, does Verizon leave the wifi out, or does RIM? Again, we're not forcing you into anything -- you pick the phone you want. BB's on VzW connect to the internet automatically, while you sleep. Just to let you know $.015/kb gets pretty expensive. Before we mandated data plans, I saw the bills.
    02-03-09 09:07 PM
    My thoughts too.

I love how people perceive something incorrectly or hear a story that a friend of a friend of a neighbor's mother-in-law and it is suddenly the carrier's fault.

Or they are in a reseller's store, want to think it is the carrier's employees & it is again the carrier's fault.

Or they just assume grass is greener elsewhere & it magically is.

VZW has to pay for things and these people think they should get it for free.

We're sorry mobile phone carriers - you are not allowed to make a profit & should give away the store.

This is a very ignorant post that assumes I am hearing this second hand.

How is it that so many retail operations are offering discounts, the economy is not doing well...and yet VZW is fine? Could it be because they're raping our pockets? Look at the guy who lost his job - he is still locked into his 2 year expensive data plan - no negotiations or anything with VZW.

Again, as I've posted, this is generally the sense with all major carriers but because my experience is primarily with VZW I am pointing it at them.

Just because they're currently the cheapest doesn't mean it's fair. $20 for unlimited texting? That service has been around for YEARS and it does not cost much.

Just because VZW is the leader of a crappy industry doesn't mean they should be looked upon with respect. They can certainly earn a nice profit without ripping us off like this.

I am only part of VZW because it is my family's current plan and the cost of changing would be too great.
    02-03-09 11:16 PM
    Please share with us how you know text messaging doesn't cost much to provide.

Verizon now handles 30,000,000,000 texts (yes, 30 BILLION) per month. I'm sure it's all run on a 386 with NetZero dial up right?

Just because Verizon isn't on the brink of bankruptcy like Sprint doesn't mean they are fleecing their customers.

02-03-09 11:34 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD