02-03-09 11:34 PM
45 12
tools
    The main core competency for Verizon seems to be their widespread coverage...other carriers provide better plans, prices, etc. but there are more dropped calls.

But see, I feel that over time, this is something the other networks will easily be able to catch up to. This technology will only get better with time, and I doubt that Verizon will stay ahead forever.

What happens if AT&T catches up? Or Sprint?

Then you're left with Verizon's crappy, harsh controls over your device and their demand to nitpick charge with every service...

I'm still waiting for a company that is actually good in customer service. I'm still waiting for someone to not force you into 2-year deals, even if the phone costs $50-100 more. I'm still waiting for someone that will actually give you a good price on their plans.

Right now they all suck, but Verizon gets the edge due to their coverage...I'm not sure how long they'll be competitive once the others catch up.
    01-30-09 10:50 AM
    Well like me and I'm sure a lot of others, when this does happen...I will divorce verizon!
    01-30-09 11:17 AM
    I wouldn't be surpriced if in many places, others have caught up. Now a days, when I ask ppl about how good their coverage is, everyone is generally telling me that they don't have a problem. So I think one has to be careful in holding old schools of thought when it comes to what was better coverage let's say 2 or 3 years ago vs.... Today.

My contract is up in dec. I'm def going to shop around. I just may go back to verizon if they have a really good blackberry and the pricing is not so astronomical but my eyes are definitely going to stay open and I'm def going to continue asking around to see how ppl r doing with att and tmobile, if anything, just to be an informed customer

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-30-09 11:20 AM
    Well,you have to understand is that the other carriers are advancing their coverage,so is VZW,I really don't see any of the others catching up,and with the buying alltel,they are now the largest carrier in the US,they will now have more capital to expand their coverage.

01-30-09 11:50 AM
    There are prognosticators out there who think VZW may soon be merging all North American markets for seamless coverage across much of the continent.

No one else has the muscle to pull off anything like this anytime soon.

01-30-09 12:06 PM
    If this happens, of course Verizon will be competitive. They are not in business to lose business. They will make changes as the industry warrants it.
    01-30-09 12:14 PM
    I honestly think att is one year away from catching up

01-30-09 12:44 PM
    does anyone know if theres a good solid indicator map of where each tower is for each network to see which is better for ur specific area?

instead always having to do that blind run with a device for 30 days only to return it and try again! And even if it doeswork ok, one never will truly know if another network would of been even better for their area. If there was such a map, I'm willing to bet all the networks would try their damndest to keep that from us, LOL
    01-30-09 01:19 PM
    If another carrier has as-good or better coverage and does not cripple devices I am out of here!

AT&T is not a present option as they do not have as many bars as they claim where I roam.
    If the double the foot print and get rid of dropped calls bbye bye VZW
    01-30-09 01:22 PM
    im getting just as many dropped calls with verizon in the present time in places where I never had before and its been already 3 weeks and I havent heard anything back about my ticket. So I'm coming close to my end as well!
    01-30-09 01:28 PM
    i generally have great coverage with verizon, and i've always experienced really good customer service...

meanwhile, last week, i called at&t customer service for my brother and i was on hold for 20 MINUTES because their "system was down", whatever that means. when the service rep got back on the phone, she said i'd have to go to a store (she waited 20 minutes to tell me that?), and i asked what they would need to do she basically told me she didn't know, and it kind of felt like she was yelling at me...

so until at&t gets better customer service and has better coverage (and fewer dropped calls!) i'll be sticking with verizon... hopefully verizon will pick up new blackberries soon...
    01-30-09 02:12 PM
    I realize other companies have customer service issues, but Verizon, even if better, is still not very impressive.

Barely being the best in customer service ratings in an industry known for crappy service is not saying much.
    01-30-09 02:47 PM
    i wont argue their customer service as I've had a near 100% positive experience in my 8+ years! And most who follow do know that I am EXTREMELY critical of VZW in general! But individual 611 customer service is one area that I wont touch as part of my gripes
    01-30-09 02:57 PM
    I did a price check between AT&T vs VZW. The same plan, was only about $5 less with AT&T. Not worth it to me to leave big red.

01-30-09 03:31 PM
    I'm still waiting for a company that is actually good in customer service. I'm still waiting for someone to not force you into 2-year deals, even if the phone costs $50-100 more. I'm still waiting for someone that will actually give you a good price on their plans.
    Verizon does not force you into two year contracts. We have one year options, the phone just costs more.
    01-30-09 03:49 PM
    I honestly think att is one year away from catching up

Now THAT'S funny!
    01-30-09 03:53 PM
    Verizon does not force you into two year contracts. We have one year options, the phone just costs more.
    As is the case with every major carrier.

Subsidies are prorated, based on commitment.

Now THAT'S funny!
    That is definitely funny, especially considering that (depending on who you talk to) VZW is adding 1.1 to 1.3 new sites for each one AT&T adds.

Last edited by TwinsX2Dad; 01-30-09 at 04:28 PM.
    01-30-09 04:21 PM
    I don't see where vzw is all that much more expensive than all the other carriers.
    Am I missing something?
    01-30-09 04:26 PM
    It isn't. I'd save less than $5 per line per month on AT&T over VZW and end up at the same price or slightly more based on my options.

01-30-09 04:30 PM
    Being able to cover more land is not really what we're worried about. CDMA is better for stretching farther vs GSM I hear. It's more about Reliability, Speed etc..

We're very competitively priced w/ AT&T I believe we're match 100% on almost everything and offer more benefits and better customer service, network coverage, and upgrade options for current customers.
    01-30-09 06:09 PM
    yea I agree. I seen the price plans and although I think verizon manages to squeeze slightly more out of its customers, overall, I think its only pennies compared to at&t. And considering customer service and data coverage differences, I dont think at&t can compete with verizon at the moment. Now even though sprint and t-mobile are also behind verizon in these areas, I think because they are so much cheaper, its debatable whether their affordable price off sets their limitations...

But even if they catch up, I'm willing to bet that Verizon will try its damnest to hold that reputation of being the most reliable network even when the others catch up. So in the end, we just have to be smart and research carefully every 2 years because whats marketed will not always be whats true
    01-30-09 08:26 PM
    yea I agree. I seen the price plans and although I think verizon manages to squeeze slightly more out of its customers, overall, I think its only pennies compared to at&t. And considering customer service and data coverage differences, I dont think at&t can compete with verizon at the moment. Now even though sprint and t-mobile are also behind verizon in these areas, I think because they are so much cheaper, its debatable whether their affordable price off sets their limitations...

But even if they catch up, I'm willing to bet that Verizon will try its damnest to hold that reputation of being the most reliable network even when the others catch up. So in the end, we just have to be smart and research carefully every 2 years because whats marketed will not always be whats true
    It all depends on what you want. If you NEED to have coverage all the time or it could cost you thousands (real estate salesmen come to mind) then Verizon is your choice. If you need to be able to check/read/reply to emails fast, on the go, and most everywhere than Verizon is your choice.

However, if you're more of a penny grabber and just go to the cheapest price than T-Mo is probably better for you. If you have to have a sim card, and want okay data coverage, than AT&T is for you.
    01-30-09 10:26 PM
    yea, thats pretty much the way I rank it as well... I dont know about the penny grabber part tho. A verizon bill is a lot more than a few pennies compared to t-mobile and sprint
    01-30-09 10:34 PM
    I've been with VZW for many, many years now. With only one exception, my experience has been very positive. I find their customer service to be top notch, always friendly, always MORE than helpful (they truly have gone the extra mile to make me happy) and in all but the one case above, have answered my questions, resolved my problems and made me happy.

The one exception is now resolved on it's own, but VZW had nothing to do with it. I used to live in an area of town (large city, I was well away from the outskirts) where I had almost no VZW coverage. When home, I had to lay my cell carefully on the NW corner of my dining room table and, when receiving or making a call, make sure I faced due North or I'd lose the call! I updated my roaming, contacted service on several occasions but, other than the "we're aware of the problem in that area and we're working on it" response, I was out of luck. I recently moved though and that problem is someone else's problem, lol.

In all fairness though, I need to mention the following. I have had on two occasions the opportunity to spend extended time with T-Mobile reps. I cannot describe just how impressed I was with them. Their attitude, interest and overall demeanor was first class all the way. Honestly, it was almost enough to make me want to switch! I think if I ever do leave VZW, T-Mobile will be the first one I try out.

I realize everyone's experience is different, but for what it's worth, this has been my own.
    01-30-09 10:47 PM
    In all fairness though, I need to mention the following. I have had on two occasions the opportunity to spend extended time with T-Mobile reps. I cannot describe just how impressed I was with them. Their attitude, interest and overall demeanor was first class all the way.
    T-Mo people are very good. I enjoy my interaction with them. My only issue with T-Mo is the fact I have to stay in town or on major freeways to keep coverage. My kids lose coverage in areas between Los Angeles & San Diego on their T-Mo phones, as well as in areas of Phoenix. Forget about reliable coverage in much of New Mexico & West Texas.

Now, I've also had some stellar interactions with AT&T reps and some bad ones. Alltel was always first-rate.

I think that for customer service prowess, Verizon is at the top, and was followed closely by Alltel - but Alltel was always a regional carrier. T-Mo slides in pretty closely, while AT&T generally rates down with Sprint & Cricket.

So for me, it is reliable coverage - and I go more places than most. I have to buy a new truck every 18 months or so, right about the time they hit 80-90,000 miles, so I am pickier than most about coverage.

It will be a long time before the competition hopes to be in the coverage position that VZW is in today. In another year, the others may gain, but so will Big Red. To think they will catch up is like saying my kids will catch me in age. The only way that will happen is when I die.

In my area, VZW already has nearly as many wireless points as AT&T, T-Mo & Sprint combined, and is adding more each year than all of them combined. They aren't having to intensify their signal - rather, they are keeping up with growth much better than anyone else.

It has been years since I got one of those "all circuits are busy" intercepts on VZW. The kids & grandkids get them frequently on T-Mo (especially mid-afternoon when school is out) and their friends on AT&T complain about the same thing on their phones.

Come May, five phones are coming off T-Mo and joining me on VZW.
    01-31-09 01:12 AM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD