What will they do if you just leave the carrier and don't pay them an etf? Is there anything they can do, besides holding that amount against you and charge you if you try to come back to them as a future customer? Just asking because my friend did this to at&t and nothing happened to him.
    11-05-09 08:03 PM
    What will they do if you just leave the carrier and don't pay them an etf? Is there anything they can do, besides holding that amount against you and charge you if you try to come back to them as a future customer? Just asking because my friend did this to at&t and nothing happened to him.
    They'd try to collect directly from you. Then they'd send you to collections. If they can't collect they'll likely write it off and report it as a write-off, with the balance you owed, to the credit reporting agencies, meaning a derogatory item on your credit report.

So, if you don't care about your credit, or about your moral, ethical and legal responsibilities, go for it.
    11-05-09 08:09 PM
    Love how you just jump to conclusions about me wanting to do it. I just asked because I was curious. I just signed a new contract so I have no reason to do it.
    11-05-09 08:12 PM
    Love how you just jump to conclusions about me wanting to do it. I just asked because I was curious. I just signed a new contract so I have no reason to do it.
    We get a lot of people who do intend to do it, or who are looking for ways to cheat the system. So it is easy to jump to those conclusions.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-05-09 08:15 PM
    I am sure this is not what was meant. You will soon figure out around here that if a person asks, then that is the intent of the asker.
    Last edited by lastraid; 11-05-09 at 08:31 PM.
    11-05-09 08:15 PM
    I am sure this is not what meant. You will soon figure out around here that if a person asks, then that is the intent of the asker.
    Thanks, well put. My use of the word "you" wasn't intended to imply that the OP intended to run from his ETF obligations. Just my way of posting on here. Sorry for any misunderstanding.
    11-05-09 08:17 PM
    Well sorry on my behalf and thanks for the answers
    11-05-09 08:25 PM
    Lets just say it would be a good idea to pay
    11-05-09 08:31 PM
    Trust me.... when he wants a mortage/car/etc and that Non payed ETF is the scar on his credit report that prevents that from happening... he will deeply regret it.
    11-05-09 08:45 PM
    well see he up and ran on his contract with at&t about 3 years ago and he recently bought a house and I guess they did nothing to his credit, so I am wondering if they actually do anything or it's just a front.
    11-05-09 08:48 PM
    Just pay the ETF fee and move on with life...
    11-05-09 08:48 PM
    well see he up and ran on his contract with at&t about 3 years ago and he recently bought a house and I guess they did nothing to his credit, so I am wondering if they actually do anything or it's just a front.
    Up until very recently, AT&T didn't report back to credit agencies.

11-05-09 08:53 PM
    He got lucky. With millions of customers one is bound to fall through the cracks, but that's not a crack I'd count on. I can verify from personal knowledge that VZW will go after you, their collections people will go after you, and you'll end up with a derogatory hit on your credit. Again "you" isn't directed at anyone in this thread
    11-05-09 08:54 PM
    Even if ATT doesn't report to the bureaus, you can bet your a$$ the collection agencies will. Even if your friend got his house etc he will most likely pay for it in higher interest rates etc when/if it does ever show up on his report than if he had paid it outright. Takes 7 years to fall off.

Really it is just better to pay it before it shows on his report. If he pays it after its already on his report the damage has been done. Applying for loans etc with $175 collection doesn't inspire confidence in a lender when a monthly payment for a car, house is much more.

Going back to the whole house thing, yes he was able to get his house now but what happens in a few years if he wants to refinance?

Just pay the damn thing! It will save him alot of headaches in the future, I promise!
    11-05-09 10:42 PM
    Even if ATT doesn't report to the bureaus, you can bet your a$$ the collection agencies will.
    There is a problem with that - AT&T has always processed their collections in-house. They got good at it being a monopoly, then furthered it with Universal Card.
    11-05-09 11:10 PM
    There is a problem with that - AT&T has always processed their collections in-house. They got good at it being a monopoly, then furthered it with Universal Card.
    Ok, I stand corrected. Still not something you want come biting you in the *** when you least expect it though.
    11-05-09 11:16 PM
    Ok, I stand corrected. Still not something you want come biting you in the *** when you least expect it though.
    I think I'd rather have Islamic extremists at my door than have the old monolithic AT&T mad at me.

At least I can shoot extremists - how do you shoot the PHONE COMPANY?
    11-05-09 11:20 PM
    At least I can shoot extremists - how do you shoot the PHONE COMPANY?
    Don't give the extremists any ideas...
    11-06-09 12:01 AM
    sigh, heres what really happens to his credit when trying to buy a house or a car... nothing.. celphone bills mean jack in those purchase areas.
    delinquent credit card payments, or car payments will count vastly more against you than not paying a celphone company off. same goes for medical bills.. why? because the vast majority of people in this country have something like those on their records, those that dont, contrary to popular belief are the minority in this situation..
    so heres what could really happen should his non payment of ETF gets reported to the credit agency..

The first has to do with how long debt problems can show up on your credit reports. Federal law typically requires credit bureaus to drop negative information after seven years. The clock usually starts ticking 180 days after the account first goes delinquent (in other words, when you miss your first payment on the account). There are exceptions: Bankruptcies can remain on your credit reports for up to 10 years, and some debts, such as unpaid tax liens, can stay on your reports indefinitely.

Collectors can't legally restart the seven-year clock by "re-aging" the debt (giving it a new delinquency date) or by selling it to another agency. (The FTC shut down one large collection agency, CAMCO, after charging the company repeatedly re-aged debts in its attempts to collect.)

The other curb on debt collection is the statute of limitations, which gives creditors a certain time period -- in most states, three to six years -- in which to sue you over a debt.

now heres the fun part.. tell your friend to send them $5 a month till its paid for.. they cant refuse it, and depending on the state, as long as he sends something/anything, its against the law for a collection agency to hassle him to send more.

there are no stupid questions, but there are stupid assumptions.

cheers
    11-06-09 05:43 AM
    Anyone can (or at least COULD) get a home loan until recently. They'd just pay through the nose for it. That's what this whole sub-prime lending, housing boom & bust, and recession is all about.
    11-06-09 06:44 AM
    Even if ATT doesn't report to the bureaus, you can bet your a$$ the collection agencies will. Even if your friend got his house etc he will most likely pay for it in higher interest rates etc when/if it does ever show up on his report than if he had paid it outright. Takes 7 years to fall off.

Really it is just better to pay it before it shows on his report. If he pays it after its already on his report the damage has been done. Applying for loans etc with $175 collection doesn't inspire confidence in a lender when a monthly payment for a car, house is much more.

Going back to the whole house thing, yes he was able to get his house now but what happens in a few years if he wants to refinance?

Just pay the damn thing! It will save him alot of headaches in the future, I promise!
    The 7 years thing is not always true, i have been fighting with a bill on my credit report that was put on 12yrs ago and its not even mine and i have sent all three credit companys the proof, but the collections company, just put it back on my credit report, i would love to find a hungry lawyer. I have been paying higher intrest on everything since.
    11-06-09 08:00 AM
    The 7 years thing is not always true, i have been fighting with a bill on my credit report that was put on 12yrs ago and its not even mine and i have sent all three credit companys the proof, but the collections company, just put it back on my credit report, i would love to find a hungry lawyer. I have been paying higher intrest on everything since.
    I'm not 100% sure, but I think it 7 years with no contact. If you're in contact with the creditor or collection agency then the 7 years does not apply. Again, not 100% sure

11-06-09 08:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD