10-03-09 04:35 PM
158 ... 23456 ...
tools
    I've never had a problem with Verizon. Granted, I do use a 3rd party store, but they are still Verizon contracted and trained.

When I first got my storm, the CSR not only went over every stupid little question that I had but also went through every app I might need. He emailed me apps so that I would have his email address in case of any questions and then patiently repeated things to my boyfriend that he hadn't heard because he was watching the basketball game they had on in the store.

I then went back to get my younger sister a phone quite a while later and he remembered me when I walked in and asked if I had already broken my phone (I hd talked to him before about how clumsy I was and how afraid to break it I was). They were out of stock of the phone she had.wanted and her birthday was the next day so I couldn't wait to have it shipped so he called 5 different stores in the area to see who did have it and even printed out directions for me.

I don't know if it is my particular store, but I have had such amazing customer service with verizon that I would never switch. The guys out in plymouth, indiana always make sure you're taken care of and never make it seem like a burden.
    05-01-09 11:45 PM
    Not going after anyone, especially you WB, but this idea that a customer should do something really bugs me.

Please explain to me how it is in any way the customer's responsibility to alleviate lines? Self serve options as I said before are options and not requirements. There are people here spending anywhere from $900 to $5000 per year for BB service on Verizon. I know of people who spend $30000 per year. That isn't chump change and telling them they should go online is not service.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I agree with you it should not be required. I also agree that some transactions, and some people, do require face to face transactions. However, I think that some things definitely can be done over self serve (paying bill, checking balance, checking minutes, changing price plan.. ) etc. All these routine things can be done.

I'm not saying that it's the customers responsibility to alleviate lines, I'm just saying there are other options.
    05-02-09 03:55 AM
    Forget it people. He is never going to get it. It is the Veerizon store mentality that doent understand cust svc or even the reason for having customers in the first place, the last place or anywhere in between. If you want good service in a local store then Verizon isn't your carrier.

I understand customer service completely, the question goes back to the title of this thread, "What is good customer service", and the problem is, a lot of people (including yourself)consider "good customer service" a lot of different things.

I don't like sitting in traffic, I don't like standing in lines, that why we pay all of our bills online. We order and shop for a lot of different things through many different companies online. The options are out there.
    Last edited by ScottRPriester; 05-02-09 at 08:08 AM.
    05-02-09 07:46 AM
    Well gang, this should get a nice debate going today.

Already in effect is the following that VZW will charge $5 for if you have a CS rep perform the task. These tasks can be performed from a computer or your phone. One that cannot be done from the phone that I know of.

1. Bill Reprints
    2. Take A Payment
    3. Address Change

I talk with customer everyday that may not live in a good coverage area an/or live in very rural areas and have no interent. Will VZW make exceptions to this? Being in tech I do not get these requests very much, but talking to CS reps this appears to be hard and fast rule. At this time if the customer wants us change the info listed above, we must apply a manual debit to the billing system.

For my own education, I will be talking management to find out if there are exceptions for certain situations.

In theory though, making the transcation either on the phone or a computer is faster. This was for a 2 minute transaction, you will not have to wait 10 minutes or more for a rep. I see the thought process, but...
    05-02-09 08:03 AM
    Well gang, this should get a nice debate going today.

Already in effect is the following that VZW will charge $5 for if you have a CS rep perform the task. These tasks can be performed from a computer or your phone. One that cannot be done from the phone that I know of.

1. Bill Reprints
    2. Take A Payment
    3. Address Change

I talk with customer everyday that may not live in a good coverage area an/or live in very rural areas and have no interent. Will VZW make exceptions to this? Being in tech I do not get these requests very much, but talking to CS reps this appears to be hard and fast rule. At this time if the customer wants us change the info listed above, we must apply a manual debit to the billing system.

For my own education, I will be talking management to find out if there are exceptions for certain situations.

In theory though, making the transcation either on the phone or a computer is faster. This was for a 2 minute transaction, you will not have to wait 10 minutes or more for a rep. I see the thought process, but...
    Its a mixed bag for me. You know me and how much I hate the "charge for everything" mentality of Verizon. On the other hand, its probably the only initiative to force people to do things on their own to free up these very simple calls. Plus, I think 99.9 if not 100% of all cb and BB users are on the internet for obvious reasons which it probably will not affect. Plus, if I'm correct, I think even dumbphones have an automated pay system themselves.

On a flip side however, if your going to market yourself as the better, if not the best customer service provider (1 justification for paying premium for this carrier), its understandable that people will be upset when services change this way. This is the reason why we pay premium, so that when we call, simple or complicated, we have a minimal wait time, good CS experience, and a satisfactory resolution.

As I said, its a mixed bag... but doesn't affect most of us either way
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 05-02-09 at 08:21 AM.
    05-02-09 08:17 AM
    Its a mixed bag for me. You know me and how much I hate the "charge for everything" mentality of Verizon. On the other hand, its probably the only initiative to force people to do things on their own to free up these very simple calls. Plus, I think 99.9 if not 100% of all cb and BB users are on the internet for obvious reasons which it probably will not affect. Plus, if I'm correct, I think even dumbphones have an automated pay system themselves.

On a flip side however, if your going to market yourself as the better, if not the best customer service provider (1 justification for paying premium for this carrier), its understandable that people will be upset when services are cut charged for. This is the reason why we pay premium, so that when we call, simple or complicated, we have a minimal wait time, good CS experience, and a satisfactory resolution.

As I said, its a mixed bag... but doesn't affect most of us either way
    Yep a mixed bag. Lots of companies have gone to this. VZW has really always charged for bill reprints, what was removed was you use be able to get a free one every 6 months.

Part of concern these days (IMHO), are most people want things done for them rather than take the action and control of their everyday life. I would rather go on line pay mt bill and move on, or better yet set up bill pay and now worry about it. This takes very little time. Some people that clami they have no time. will sit on a phone for whay ever the queue time is and complain about it, but could have done the same in three minutes.

THe folks I am concerned about are some folks that barely can work the dumb phone much less turn on a computer, ok I will blunt - the nations elderly (NOT ALL OF THEM), but I get really nice folks that do not get it. Can we make an exception for this as well?

Heck took 3 years to get my mom (may she rest in peace) to program a VCR
    05-02-09 08:26 AM
    Yep a mixed bag. Lots of companies have gone to this. VZW has really always charged for bill reprints, what was removed was you use be able to get a free one every 6 months.

Part of concern these days (IMHO), are most people want things done for them rather than take the action and control of their everyday life. I would rather go on line pay mt bill and move on, or better yet set up bill pay and now worry about it. This takes very little time. Some people that clami they have no time. will sit on a phone for whay ever the queue time is and complain about it, but could have done the same in three minutes.

THe folks I am concerned about are some folks that barely can work the dumb phone much less turn on a computer, ok I will blunt - the nations elderly (NOT ALL OF THEM), but I get really nice folks that do not get it. Can we make an exception for this as well?

Heck took 3 years to get my mom (may she rest in peace) to program a VCR
    Brings me back to a day a few years back when my mother said, "don't forget to rewind the DVD!"
    05-02-09 08:29 AM
    The $5 charge is only for the reprints, not for address change/payments. We're just supposed to be directing them towards self serve to reduce costs. It's obvious Verizon is cutting costs due to the economic situation and trying to maintain a competitive edge and not have to layoff.

I just hope that things go back to normal once our savior gets our economy going again by spending trillions. I mean, that should work
    05-02-09 12:55 PM
    Interesting week, then the CS reps at work i yak with misinformed me hahaha
    05-02-09 12:57 PM
    I am interested in what you guys have to say about this. I always hear companies have good customer service, bad customer service, etc. What is it? In our training at Verizon Wireless they tell us that Credits do not buy customer loyalty, is that true? Does a rep issuing a credit to you increase your loyalty or perception of service? I always seem to see that people who have no issues (billing problems, broken phones, service issues, anything etc..) seem to say "oh this company has great service." However if a customer wants something and it's not possible, if they don't get it, that company has "horrible customer service." If you say a company has GREAT customer service, why? If you say a company has bad customer service, why? Do credits buy loyalty? Or is it because you didn't get what you want a company has bad customer service?
    credit is your way to compensate outside the regular lines of a situation.

customer: my phone doesn't work
    you: lets get you another phone then
    customer: okay

vs.

customer: my phone doesn't work
    you: lets get you another phone then
    customer: but i gotta wait two or three days while its shipped
    you: i'll ship it overnight and credit you the $15.00 charge we generally charge for it.
    customer: okay
    05-02-09 03:52 PM
    We already offer free express shipping for warranty exchanges
    05-02-09 04:15 PM
    its just an example. thanks, bum!
    05-02-09 04:19 PM
    We already offer free express shipping for warranty exchanges
    And you use standard size boxes to get a better deal, which ticks off treehuggers. WTG Verizon! I love it when treehuggers & Earth Day ignorants are ticked off! But they might not think it to be good customer service. No biggie. We don't care anyway as long as more people are working in the stores.

05-02-09 05:08 PM
    /shrug. If it were up to the treehuggers we would be living in tents back in the 1800's.

No prob patches
    05-02-09 05:29 PM
    I'm not sure if any of you have a "Rita's Itallian Ice" shop in your area.....it's just what it says, Itallian ice treats...........anyway.....we are standing there and a little boy is in front of us with his father, and he exclaims out loud, "DADDY, WHY ARE THERE LONG LINES HERE?"
    05-02-09 08:25 PM
    On the other side of the counter is can be come rather annoying for customers to always be like "why do i have to wait so long to pay my bill" when there's options for them to pay it other ways. My personal fav is when ppl come in with their check already in the envelope, sealed with their bill cut-out only lacking the stamp. Then they hand it to me for me to scan it. On the bill it shows due that day or tomorrow.
    -All that work plus driving in just to save a stamp.
    05-02-09 08:40 PM
    On the other side of the counter is can be come rather annoying for customers to always be like "why do i have to wait so long to pay my bill" when there's options for them to pay it other ways. My personal fav is when ppl come in with their check already in the envelope, sealed with their bill cut-out only lacking the stamp. Then they hand it to me for me to scan it. On the bill it shows due that day or tomorrow.
    -All that work plus driving in just to save a stamp.
    Late last fall, we had a customer waiting outside for us to open. He was upset and we heard him say he needed to pay his bill. He made quite a scene outside and could be heard complaining about how we wouldn't let him in early just to do that. I took great pleasure in making him aware of the many ways to pay his bill, other than taking an unnecessary drive to a mall to do so ...........and then of course, once inside the store, he stated "ohhhhh no that's ok, I have to be in the mall anyway"
    05-02-09 09:03 PM
    Politeness + bulldog tenacity at resolving my issue = my outstanding experience with VZN service calls. When they
    cannot resolve, they got RIM on the horn and make my problem go away. That has been my experience with VZN.
    (Running 75 - NO ISSUES since NOVEMBER.)

PS Went to Paris in late 2008. When the captain said "Turn off all
    handhelds now!" leaving Houston, I did. When we landed at Charles de Gaulle
    and we were taxiing to the Terminal and he said "You may turn on your
    handhelds", I did. My Storm immediately began working.

Doctor Neutron
    05-02-09 11:11 PM
    My wife had to wait 40 MINUTES IN LINE AT THE GROCERY STORE TODAY, SHAMEFUL, DISGRACEFUL, UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!
    05-03-09 07:56 PM
    I would have left. I shop at Alberstons because if there is more than three people in line they open a new register to speed it up. I do not shop at Wal-Mart (mostly) because if I go in there they will have 1 register open with 10-15 people in line buying the whole store.
    05-03-09 09:05 PM
    for me good customer service is pretty simple.

number one when I have a problem please fix it (I don't care how its fixed, just that its fixed. (this doesn't imply giving me a credit always this implys just rectify the situation).

number 2 if you don't know the answer DONT MAKE UP SOME BS answer to get me off the phone or get me out of your face. Being in the IT field and heavily into technology it amazes me how many times you can come across someone who completely lies even though they have no clue about what it is there discussing either just to make a sale or whatever. I am not saying that verizon or any other companys people are complete morons but its better to somply be honest then it is to make something up.

There has been more then one time I told a customer the truth when in a store.

There is a crap ton of knowledgeable people in this world use them as resources instead of always just assuming you know everything and be willing to eat your words when you are either proved wrong or make a wrong statement you and I both are learning at the same time.

last thing that really helps in the customer service department for me is

How I feel when I get off the phone.

If the person was rude to me i feel pissed and upset like anyone else.

If the person on the other end didn't know the answer and was honest about it (even if the problem wasn't fixed) it feels 100 percent better then if they told me they would call back and I never get that call.

Over all I can say with Verizon the times I have called have been great so far. The times I have walked into the store haven't been to bad either.

Also to you reps and customer service people out there for any company. People have different personalitys and different ways of saying things sometimes you may need to just bite your lip often the end user is not directly pissed at you it can be that he/she is having a bad day or like with any technology is just super frustrated with it.

After being on helpdesk for a short period of time I realize how frustrated people can actually get.

so I guess to some it up just be Genuine
    05-03-09 11:25 PM
    i have, for the most part, experienced excellent customer service with verizon, particularly when i call the 1-800. they are always very courteous and try to help resolve my problem. not to say that it means they always credit my account or something (in fact recently, they couldn't credit my account because it was a third party charge that i thought had been dealt with... etc etc, not really important), but they are alway incredibly professional in helping my find answers to what i'm looking for

in stores, it is not always as good, and by that i mean the customer service reps are sometimes short tempered (and end up having me call the 1-800 number... why did i come into the store?!).

btw once i called verizon to ask why my emails were coming in like 20 minutes late, and the cs rep i spoke to said blackberrys check mail once every 20 minutes, so that's normal... whereas in the past, i get mail on my blackberry before i get it on my gmail! was he pulling my leg or is this actually true? sorry, tangent, just had to know if the guy just gave me an answer so i could be on my merry way lol...
    Last edited by redsoxrocker; 05-04-09 at 01:14 AM.
    05-04-09 12:44 AM
    as a vzw employee i have always thought customer service was understanding a problem and doing your best to help the customer work thru the issue. It pains me when I have a customer who says I have bad customer service because I couldn't get them a free replacement because they lost their phone or a bill credit because they went over their minutes.
    05-04-09 01:52 AM

btw once i called verizon to ask why my emails were coming in like 20 minutes late, and the cs rep i spoke to said blackberrys check mail once every 20 minutes, so that's normal... whereas in the past, i get mail on my blackberry before i get it on my gmail! was he pulling my leg or is this actually true? sorry, tangent, just had to know if the guy just gave me an answer so i could be on my merry way lol...

blackberrys dont pull email.. everything on a blackberry is push its much quicker then 20 minutes..

it works more like a SMS text message to give a comparison.

your device doesn't really go out and get email its pushed from the server and just lands on your device..

sometimes the server may get delayed however alot of times you can solve most problems by either performing a battery pull and it never hurts to try resending the service books as well even though they aren't usually the cause of this particular problem...

Your statement is exactly what I was talking about in mine... I hate lies..
    05-04-09 02:23 AM
    as a vzw employee i have always thought customer service was understanding a problem and doing your best to help the customer work thru the issue. It pains me when I have a customer who says I have bad customer service because I couldn't get them a free replacement because they lost their phone or a bill credit because they went over their minutes.

don't take it to heart your job is to do the best you can at resolving a problem if they are unhappy that you cannot fix something in your power and goes completely out of the boundary or scope of what verizon's rules are and what your job is thats there problem not yours
    05-04-09 02:25 AM
158 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD