10-03-09 05:35 PM
158 12345 ...
tools
    When I need accessories fast I go into any carrier other than Verizon. People like Verizon for network coverage and telephone support. Their stores rank near the bottom of the heap. And I learned a long time ago to not let cust svc send me into a corp store. That is like a root canal without drugs. What cust svc tells you the stores can't seem to do be it pricing or anything. Plus the people in the stores rarely seem to know as much about what Verizon offers as do the avg Joe on the street. From what I've read and heard the store employees don't get the training needed and are on incentive plans that keep them from honest dealings. If all Verizon had was stores for cust svc and sales, I would be on sprint or Tmobile or AT&T. Even Cricket or metro pcs would be an improvement. I don't have to go into the lousy Verizon stores, so I don't and can ignore their existence. They all seem to have the same attitude you showed before that if you want service to go online. Online service is for the birds but you are right that dealing with the website is far better than the incompetence of the stores.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I fell out of my chair when I read that bold part. That is great, and I agree.

What I hate the most is those damn computers you have to sign into and wait for 30 or 40 minutes, to find out what you want to buy to go with your phone, the don't carry it in stock.
    04-30-09 12:29 AM

What I hate the most is those damn computers you have to sign into and wait for 30 or 40 minutes, to find out what you want to buy to go with your phone, the don't carry it in stock.
    would you rather stand in line for 30-40 minutes, staring at the back of someone's head?

It amazes me that people complain about the sign in queue. go sign in and play with the phones and wait for your name to be called.
    04-30-09 12:41 AM
    Good/great customer service to me is being treated with respect and being treated like a paying customer. When I call, I would like the person on the other end of the phone to understand what empathy is. Whether I get the issue resolved is another issue.

I understand that some things are not feasable. Most of the time a credit isn't needed either (unless it is a billing issue). As long as the problem is resolved in a timely manner and I am treated like a customer and not a burden, I can continue on happily.

Bad customer service is when a CSR treats you like you are imposing on them somehow. CSR's that are short, rude, and angry about either their lot in life, their job, family issues, fresh outbreak of herpes, mommy didn't love me enough, daddy didn't give hugs, etc. and take it out on their customer's pi** me off. Everyone has bad days. Either fake it, or find other means of employment.

I have worked with the publc many times in the past and know that there are people out there that can't be pleased. They ask for one thing, they get it... then want more. They want a free ride and will do anything to get it. They also like to think that just because they are paying so much a month then the CSR should be farting rainbows and puking skittles and clouds just for the chance to help them. These customers make it hard on everyone else.

So no. Free stuff does not make good or bad customer service to me. Attitude does.

I am with Amp too =) but had to call out on this one mainly. I work as a Customer Service Rep in a corp retail location. I am one of the few that work in my area that would rather have my manager upset with how long I take with a customer, over having the customer upset with a lack of options. We use the NPS (Net Promoter Score) consistently, and we even discuss our rankings amongst each other at our location. For over a year now, I have done everything possible to keep myself at a 100% positive ranking the entire time (except when I went on vacation - I fell off the grid then). I agree with Kanga... you have to leave your life at the door. Hang up your coat, straighten your tie, and smile... cuz once you enter that door for work, your life needs to be gone, and Verizon's life begins (at least for the next 9 to 10 hours)
    04-30-09 01:29 AM
    OK, so I went to get my daughter's bath taken care of and fell wayyy behind in this thread, sorry. My last post was in reference to the beginning of this discussion. I am always open to hearing any experiences ppl have had in their visits as well. I constantly take that input and work with my manager to make sure those instances dont come up. The check in queue, yeah, that is a necessary evil (when it is working right). Our store has a wall up the middle of it, so you can't see the door, or even the sales side, from the cs counter. Without that queue, we would be done for.
    04-30-09 01:32 AM

It is real simple. They are too cheap to hire more employees and to train the ones they have. I don't wait in my doctors or dentists waiting room as long as you wait in a Verizon store. No I do not want to look at the back of someone's head but like was mentioned before, you get better and often more intelligent cust svc at a c-store buying slurpees and cigs.

Yeah Scott even Verizon emps here admit to some sort of civil war btwn stores and 611. I have seen it. Store managers denying what a 611 customer svc manager had called and noted that I go in for. When I have contacted the BBB, the last time the lady I spoke with said it was the third complaint she'd gotten that day about a Verizon store. It would be easier to tell you the times I got decent service in a store. Once at Arizona Mills. Guy's name was Jesse. He wasn't one of the commission or bonus crew. I have had account changes put in that I didn't ask for, my BIS changed to BES when I asked about increasing texting and a manager tell me that yes, I could use any GPS software on my Windows phone. Had the guy recorded with two witnesses and it got me a nice credit from Verizon and an extended 6mo worry-free for it.

You guys can say all you want and it changes nothing. Veri+n stores, by and large, suck pond scum. Their MO stinks, the integrity of the people in the stores is lousy and reeks of a car dealership. If you don't mind seedy with attitudes, visit your local corp store.

04-30-09 02:22 AM
    It's really not as bad as Desert points out. I think that bad experiences glow and are easier to describe than good experiences. I do agree that there are reps that really make it bad for customers. I have gone into stores and not said I was an employee and seen it first hand.

My advice is go to the manager if a store rep adds a feature, or makes a change, without your permission. They can and should get fired for that.
    04-30-09 03:19 AM
    @Thickfreakness

What I would rather do is like in any other store, go in shop, pick what I need and then checkout.

VZW does not let you do that, and I can't think of one other store that does it the dumb way VZW does.

Hire cashiers to check people out like any normal store does, and hire people to help the customers on the floor, if they need it.

Another thing, is the local store will stick to you like a blood sucking leech in an attempt to force you to sign in. I don't want to, if I am in a store it is to view the product only. I won't buy from a store, I would rather buy on line and wait for it to be shipped.

I have never been in a T-Mobile or AT&T store, so I don't know how they do it, but the way VZW does it is just plain ********. (IMHO)

04-30-09 10:26 AM
    Ok, I know things are a YMMV type ordeal, but I feel like I have to stick up for the guys in the VZW stores, or at least the two I frequent. In both of them, I simply walked in and was helped right away. They always seemed to have a good amount of staff working. When I got my storm (then later returned it for my curve), I simply went in, told them the exact plan I wanted, paid, and walked out. Didn't have any problems with it, no trying to upsell, push me off onto someone else, nothing.

Only problem I had in store was a stupid tech who tried to tell me that the reason my storm wasn't working right was because my hands were cold.... Needless to say, the manager took care of that guy right away and got me a brand new replacement storm.

Remember, the tech guys (who for some reason also handle accessory sales, exchanges, and billing for some reason) aren't employed by VZW, but rather a tech contractor that VZW contracts out to. How do I know this? One of my friend's fiancee is a tech at the local VZW store.

I should also add that when I was with AT&T, I got HORRIBLE customer service from them in the store. They basically told me that there wasn't anything they could do to help my phone, so I should just buy a new one (at full retail price mind you).
    Last edited by niubeav; 04-30-09 at 11:32 AM.
    04-30-09 10:59 AM
    would you rather stand in line for 30-40 minutes, staring at the back of someone's head?

It amazes me that people complain about the sign in queue. go sign in and play with the phones and wait for your name to be called.
    Or don't sign in and wander around and complain when no one helps you out.
    04-30-09 12:49 PM
    I have been with VZW for six years now, and in the time I am only on my fourth device I know many people that have had more devices then that in the last 6 months. This is my first Balckberry and I have had it for over a year now.
    I remember the day that I went and got it (not just because I was FINALLY getting my long awaited blackberry) becuase of the way we were taken care of that day by the reps at the store. I went with my mom so that she could get a new device for herself and also get the first ever mobile phone for my dad. My partents both wanted the most basic device that they could possibly get, they don't need all the fancy features.
    The rep that was working with us was able to shift gears very easily and get my parents and their devices set up for them and send my mother on her way but then to spend a good amount of time (probably about 2 hours) playing question and answer with me to make sure that I understood my device how is was used ect ect.
    In the time that I have had my device I have only had a handful of issues that I haven't been able to take care of on my own I have always been welcomed in my local store and treated with dignity and respect even though I'm sure I looked like an ***** on more then one occasion.
    between being respected and actually helped in every single encounter that I have had with my VZW reps I'm not going any where any time soon
    04-30-09 01:07 PM
    Scott: As I mentioned in a previous post, I greatly appreciate VZW's service and it is the primary reason I've stayed with them as long as I have. For over six years, my experiences have been 99% positive.

That being said, I do have to disagree with a part of your post. VZW does offer multiple options for service. That is a good thing. The web, phone support and store support, all give customers options. I would disagree though, that the VZW web site is easy to navigate and "customer friendly." I'm pretty technically oriented, but have found the VZW website to be a bit confusing, redundant and, requiring far too many clicks to get to where you need to go. I seriously think it could use some major overhauling. And this is coming from someone who knows their way around the web. Phone support for me has been terrific and is probably my primary way of dealing with VZW. Still, I sometimes prefer face-to-face and will wander into a store when I'm near one. That experience, out of all of them, has been less than ideal. Long waits are the norm and I think VZW could do a fair amount to improve upon that. Personally, I hate waiting in lines, especially when they're long. No company, regardless of size, should expect their paying customers to wait in line, especially for prolonged time periods. That is NOT good service. I realize the cost/benefit issue but other companies seem to have figured out how to do it, so VZW could probably learn something there.

I have walked out of grocery and department stores when the lines at the cahsiers are long. It ticks me off and I'll go elsewhere....why should I have to wait in a long line to give them my hard earned money? The same applies to simply getting service on a product you've already paid for (and continue to pay for).

Unfortunately, such a thing is become the norm rather than the exception these days and the end result if, people will move elsewhere if it gets out of hand.

Why is a long wait in the store "bad service"?

Our store is as busy,and we get complaints about it all the time, but it's busy because of one reason. People insist on standing in line and complaining instead of utilizing our phone reps or ordering things online. Our company has gone to great lengths to design a website that is very user friendly, and you are able to do everything from order phones to chat with customer service or tech support. You can use things like Backup Assistant to store your numbers instead of waiting for a phone book transfer and you can do an ESN change either over the phone or on our website.
    04-30-09 07:57 PM
    Scott: As I mentioned in a previous post, I greatly appreciate VZW's service and it is the primary reason I've stayed with them as long as I have. For over six years, my experiences have been 99% positive.

That being said, I do have to disagree with a part of your post. VZW does offer multiple options for service. That is a good thing. The web, phone support and store support, all give customers options. I would disagree though, that the VZW web site is easy to navigate and "customer friendly." I'm pretty technically oriented, but have found the VZW website to be a bit confusing, redundant and, requiring far too many clicks to get to where you need to go. I seriously think it could use some major overhauling. And this is coming from someone who knows their way around the web. Phone support for me has been terrific and is probably my primary way of dealing with VZW. Still, I sometimes prefer face-to-face and will wander into a store when I'm near one. That experience, out of all of them, has been less than ideal. Long waits are the norm and I think VZW could do a fair amount to improve upon that. Personally, I hate waiting in lines, especially when they're long. No company, regardless of size, should expect their paying customers to wait in line, especially for prolonged time periods. That is NOT good service. I realize the cost/benefit issue but other companies seem to have figured out how to do it, so VZW could probably learn something there.

I have walked out of grocery and department stores when the lines at the cahsiers are long. It ticks me off and I'll go elsewhere....why should I have to wait in a long line to give them my hard earned money? The same applies to simply getting service on a product you've already paid for (and continue to pay for).

Unfortunately, such a thing is become the norm rather than the exception these days and the end result if, people will move elsewhere if it gets out of hand.
    Do you really think anyone likes to wait in lines? I don't either.

Because of our business, I don't have a typical Monday through Friday schedule, which I accept because I make a good living. I had a rare Sunday off a few weeks ago, and we went to a grocery store during what I considered early in the morning, and it was packed. I wasn't happy, I couldn't believe everyone else in the Pittsburgh area had to be at the grocery store I was at during the same time I was there, but life's tough, I sucked it up, we got our groceries, and went about our day. It doesn't make much sense to me to bolt out of one establishment and go to another, because chances are, it will probably be as busy if not busier.

Somewhere along the way of life, someone started feeling like they were in a bigger hurry than everyone else, like there needs were more important than everyone else, and that attitude caught on. Back to the grocery store analogy......I've been in the same store multiple times when every register was working and it was still busy. Like I mentioned, I was joking with one of my customers the other day, and said, we could have our store open 24/7 365 days a year, and that still wouldn't be enough for someone.

My father died of cancer a few years ago, I watched him die over a period of two years, and held him while he passed away. I think everyone needs to go through an experience like that, because after that, putting up with busy stores becomes pretty miniscule.
    04-30-09 09:38 PM
    I've been in the same store multiple times when every register was working and it was still busy. Like I mentioned, I was joking with one of my customers the other day, and said, we could have our store open 24/7 365 days a year, and that still wouldn't be enough for someone.
    Sorry to hear about your father. Haven't had to go thru that with a parent, but have endured it with other close relatives. I even had a beautiful & apparently healthy six year old son just not wake up one morning. I still miss him very much. To your point about being busy, being open 24/7 doesn't necessarily fix things. That makes for convenience and not cust sat. What does help is hiring more people who are properly trained at what they do. When a grocery store has a ruxh, they open more registers. When a store gets too busy all the time they build another one. Want busy? Costco right before Christmas. They open all their registers and have extra employees prescanning purchases. They bring in more people to staff and get people in and out fast. Never have I waited in line at Costco for more than 10 minutes but Verizon for buying a case can be an hour or more. The Verizon stores just don't get it. They get the attitude that they are so great, so special, that people will want to wait for them.

I have never heard a store employee thank me for being the best part of Verizon Wireless. Instead of being happy that I walked in, they always seem like they are happiest to see me leave the store. Thanks, have a nice day and next time do it online, will you?

05-01-09 11:02 AM
    Sorry to hear about your father. Haven't had to go thru that with a parent, but have endured it with other close relatives. I even had a beautiful & apparently healthy six year old son just not wake up one morning. I still miss him very much. To your point about being busy, being open 24/7 doesn't necessarily fix things. That makes for convenience and not cust sat. What does help is hiring more people who are properly trained at what they do. When a grocery store has a ruxh, they open more registers. When a store gets too busy all the time they build another one. Want busy? Costco right before Christmas. They open all their registers and have extra employees prescanning purchases. They bring in more people to staff and get people in and out fast. Never have I waited in line at Costco for more than 10 minutes but Verizon for buying a case can be an hour or more. The Verizon stores just don't get it. They get the attitude that they are so great, so special, that people will want to wait for them.

I have never heard a store employee thank me for being the best part of Verizon Wireless. Instead of being happy that I walked in, they always seem like they are happiest to see me leave the store. Thanks, have a nice day and next time do it online, will you?

And again, as I said, I've been in grocery stores where every possible register was open, when a store is busy, it's busy. Verizon Wireless is not the only company in the world that has wait times in their business.

The people we see complain the most in our stores routinely come back over and over again. That tells me it really isn't such a bother. If I have a complaint, I usually take action to improve the situation so it's not a long wait or disappointing experience again. I haven't been in to a store or business to pay a bill in years, and when I was customer with VZW before I was an employee, all it took was two visits to a store to know I'd utilize either a phone rep or use the website. I never once thought about leaving VZW because they have busy stores, but I guess we all have different standards.
    05-01-09 11:45 AM
    when a store is busy, it's busy. Verizon Wireless is not the only company in the world that has wait times in their business.
    There is not another store I can think of that makes me sign in and wait, and wait and wait just for a damn car charger.

And I can't remember the last store I was in (other that VZW) that i waited in line for 30 to 40 minutes to buy something.

Nor can I think of a store that I had to wait for 30 to 40 minutes to be told the store does not carry that item in stock, and I can order it off line.

If VZW would let you shop, like a normal store and then have people to float around the store to help people out, and then have cashiers to check you out, I would not have a problem with it. That way I could go in, ask about a car charger, or look to see if they have one and then check out. Nope if I see they have one, then I have to wait the 30 or 40 minutes.
    05-01-09 03:47 PM
    There is not another store I can think of that makes me sign in and wait, and wait and wait just for a damn car charger.

And I can't remember the last store I was in (other that VZW) that i waited in line for 30 to 40 minutes to buy something.

Nor can I think of a store that I had to wait for 30 to 40 minutes to be told the store does not carry that item in stock, and I can order it off line.

If VZW would let you shop, like a normal store and then have people to float around the store to help people out, and then have cashiers to check you out, I would not have a problem with it. That way I could go in, ask about a car charger, or look to see if they have one and then check out. Nope if I see they have one, then I have to wait the 30 or 40 minutes.
    I've got nothing more to say........

I hear people want more employees at registers, I hear others want employees to "float".

Continuing to vent your displeasure on a third party website isn't going to get you anywhere, if it's so upsetting, stop and tell a manager, utilize our customer service network over the phone, do whatever you think you need to do to make your service with VZW up to your standards. In our store, there no longer is a designated tech support group, or customer service group, or sales group, we all help out with all situations. It seems to work well as far as keeping people moving along, and when a customer comes in and just wants one single accessory, we interrupt the que and have a rep sell out the accessory so that customer doesn't have to wait. All positive changes as far as I'm concerned.

But again, continuing to complain on this website isn't doing any good. Go to the source and let them know if it's that upsetting or meaningful.
    05-01-09 05:08 PM
    Forget it people. He is never going to get it. It is the Veerizon store mentality that doent understand cust svc or even the reason for having customers in the first place, the last place or anywhere in between. If you want good service in a local store then Verizon isn't your carrier.

05-01-09 05:15 PM
    Well I had to go to the vzw store today.

My son wanted to return the krave and get a different phone because he did not like the touch screen. Called 611 and was told they where out of stock. My son was begging me to call the store, so I did and they had them.

Got to the store and signed in, and only waited about 10 minutes. The rep at the store was okay, seemed as if he could not care if he or I was there or not.

After about 20 minutes and me reminding him to print mt rebate stuff, we left. My son came to me and told me strange people where calling him asking for me. Turned out the rep activated my sons replacement on my line and kept the returned krave active on his line. So another 15 minutes on the phone with CSR to get that fixed.

Again, shows why I stick to 611 or the website.

05-01-09 09:22 PM
    The Verizon store thing I agree does need to be fixed. There are long waits and Verizon Wireless should not find the acceptable. However, there are a lot of things customers could do self-serve instead of going to the store that could help alleviate lines.

I do see both sides, however, I think Scott works in a store so he is partially bias to one side. I agree from what I've seen the service is not so great in the stores. I've called stores before and the reps go "Hello?" Instead of "Thanks for calling Verizon Wireless Retail store in [insert location]" and then they respond "Who's this?" the customer said "A customer, who's this?"

It's that kind of stuff that makes me angry as a CSR.
    05-01-09 11:27 PM
    I've called stores on behalf of customers several times only to not get answered. Then I e-mailed the manager, and got a call back on my cell phone, with the manager letting me know the issue will be fixed. It's all about communication, my friends. Call the store manager and voice your concerns in a friendly tone, and the manager will turn the world upside down to try to fix it.
    05-01-09 11:43 PM
    I have never had a problem wit customer service from vzw
    just sometimes they do not know everything but hey who does
    05-01-09 11:46 PM
    me (filler)
    05-01-09 11:52 PM
    me (filler)
    so you everything that has to do with vzw ?
    can i put it to the test lmaolol
    05-01-09 11:56 PM
    LMAO I wish I did, then I'd tell everyone when the Tour is going to be released as well as the 5.0 updates for the other berries.
    05-01-09 11:59 PM
    However, there are a lot of things customers could do self-serve instead of going to the store that could help alleviate lines.
    Not going after anyone, especially you WB, but this idea that a customer should do something really bugs me.

Please explain to me how it is in any way the customer's responsibility to alleviate lines? Self serve options as I said before are options and not requirements. There are people here spending anywhere from $900 to $5000 per year for BB service on Verizon. I know of people who spend $30000 per year. That isn't chump change and telling them they should go online is not service.

05-02-09 12:42 AM
158 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD