10-03-09 04:35 PM
158 1234 ...
tools
    I don't think waiting in line at a store has much to do with this topic of CS either. Although it will affect customer experience, I think every store has its own mountains to climb that are very exclusive that its location, customer cencus, demographics, etc.

However, I do have to say that CS at store locations is horrible in NYC despite the occasional waits. I'm had reps say, "oh well, I don't know what to tell you" when they knew it was clearly knew that they messed up. Also, they are the ones more likely to pass things to the next guy rather than deal with your problem at hand.

So, I don't know why there is such a drastic difference with 611 reps verse store reps but.... the nice thing is, when you see your 611 rep manager arguing with your store manager to the point of write ups, and all on your behalf, that's when you truly know 611 has got your back!! WAY TO GO 611!
    04-24-09 07:41 AM
    Why is a long wait in the store "bad service"?

Our store is as busy,and we get complaints about it all the time, but it's busy because of one reason. People insist on standing in line and complaining instead of utilizing our phone reps or ordering things online. Our company has gone to great lengths to design a website that is very user friendly, and you are able to do everything from order phones to chat with customer service or tech support. You can use things like Backup Assistant to store your numbers instead of waiting for a phone book transfer and you can do an ESN change either over the phone or on our website.
    People shouldn't be getting pissy because they have to wait line for whatever the reason they have came up to the store. All those people have something in common they love the great service. On another note, yes they should either order online or call the CSRs. I never go into the verizon store anymore because I know the CSR will always help me out with my problems, plus it doesn't hurt that I have one person from Verizon that I always go to!
    04-24-09 08:09 AM
    Listen with a sympathetic ear, speak clearly, be willing to help, be cheerful and do the right thing. Most of all, never make a customer feel like they're wasting their time talking to you. It is a delicate balancing act, but in the end, the best customer service people know how to tell someone to go to Hell in such a way that they actually look forward to the trip.

We have to remember that one of the biggest lies foisted upon us is the one that says "the customer is always right." Not only are they not always right, in many areas, they are seldom right. Yet you have to make them think they are right.

All too often we see the malcontents, on sites such as this one, claiming that they got poor customer service from whatever carrier they hate. I described it in another thread - http://forums.crackberry.com/f71/i-l...1/#post2366793 - knowing the psychology of the kinds of people who will claim terrible things happened to them, just to make themselves feel more powerful by putting others down. We shouldn't listen to these people, nor cut them any slack. The conditions they often claim happened to them are usually too extreme to be believable even if Bernie Madoff were the target.

I say this because with the complainers and their stories we've been seeing lately, no company would survive treating customers in a manner being claimed. i know Sprint's customer service isn't top-flight. Neither is AT&T's. Time & time again, the customer service models have been VZW, T-Mo & Alltel. But the service at AT&T & Sprint isn't substandard - if it were, they'd be out of business.

Very often, the difference between someone's perception of good service over bad is when the rep doesn't leave a customer on hold for too long, they thank customers for holding, they don't chew gum on the phone, they speak clearly and they interpret what the customer needs, as opposed to what they want or are simply asking for.

I've called companies before and had what I thought was a great call - the rep did everything right, including doing as I asked. But I had to call again, because they didn't figure out what I needed. So I call back - the second rep misses all of the quality points, leaving me on hold, is hard to understand, etc. But they figure out what I really need. The second rep actually gave me better service, but the first one got all of the QC points.

The trick is to get the intuitive CS soul who can take the quality of the first rep & couple it with the intelligence & perception of the second. They may not give me what I ask for, but hey - I am the customer and not the expert. Give me what I need and explain it is a non-condescending manner, convincing me of what I actually need. I called to find the expert. Give me that expertise AND hit all of the QC points.

It is those I consider winning CS people.
    +1 Twins. Definately can tell you've spent some time in CS. I'd never be a good CS person. Just something about the ones coming at me with a chip on their shoulder demanding I bow down and service them makes me wanna knock them off their throne. CS is not for everyone and I applaud the ones that do it so well for so long.
    04-24-09 10:13 AM
    People shouldn't be getting pissy because they have to wait line for whatever the reason they have came up to the store. All those people have something in common they love the great service. On another note, yes they should either order online or call the CSRs. I never go into the verizon store anymore because I know the CSR will always help me out with my problems, plus it doesn't hurt that I have one person from Verizon that I always go to!
    I havent been into a VZ store for a long time and dont see myself going into one unless I need a new phone and cant wait a few days.
    04-24-09 10:16 AM
    I havent been into a VZ store for a long time and dont see myself going into one unless I need a new phone and cant wait a few days.
    You just described me!
    04-24-09 10:37 AM
    You just described me!
    Great minds think alike! On occasion I do go to the store just to play with the new phones (Im a gear ***** ) and at the same time stroll to the starbucks and get my mocha, locha, okachino on!
    04-24-09 10:39 AM
    If a two-hour wait is the norm, it definitely is bad service. While a store cannot reasonably be expected to staff perfectly for all contingencies, consistent understaffing indicates a lack of attention toward the customer.

What I've noticed in the local corp stores is a tendency to push everyone out the door, regardless of the issue, starting about 45 minutes before closing time. I know the store is only open until a certain time, but if that time is advertised as 8PM and I walk in at 7:30 with problems or needs, good customer service would dictate they stay until the issue/problem/sale is taken care of. Unless I indicate that I am "just looking" I should never be sent out the door, being told to "come back tomorrow."

I've seen this with both VZW & AT&T, while local T-Mobile stores tend to stay with you until you're satisfied.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-24-09 01:42 PM
    IThere is still a lot customer education that needs to be done about self help options, and this is on going project at this time. I am sure you know this. I know this as when I handle customers and show them the site and tell what they can do there and about other self help options, the say wow, I never knew that.

It's only as hard as people make it. When people look/sound amazed about what they can do, I remind them that there isn't a company around that doesn't have a website or there isn't a company that doesn't have phone customer service.
    04-24-09 01:44 PM
    It's only as hard as people make it. When people look/sound amazed about what they can do, I remind them that there isn't a company around that doesn't have a website or there isn't a company that doesn't have phone customer service.
    And, no matter how hard you try to convince people otherwise, there will be those who want the personal touch. In fact, most people would prefer speaking with someone, in person if possible, over the oftentimes confusing online route. Let's face it, VZW's online presence isn't the best.

The best way to get people to use self-help options is to make those the only convenient option - and doing this will cost you customers.

Online is not the all-encompassing panacea the bean-counters try to make it. We are individuals and individual customers - the reason you have a job and the reason companies exist.

If you want to limit or abandon customer service options, there are other companies willing to take your customers.

04-24-09 02:19 PM
    Thank you for the responses. I didn't really want to turn this into a long VzW store line is. Albeit it indirectly applies to this thread, this thread is more about General Customer service (it does not have to be Verizon).

I just want to throw in my thoughts now that we've hit three pages. I think that good customer service is a representative that really goes to bat for the customer. That is willing to call the store if the rep makes a mistake, or does something incorrect. A rep that offers call backs, instead of having the customer call back and wait on hold. A rep that calls the customer a couple days after that difficult sale and asks how everythings doing. A rep that follows through on promises. I think truly becoming the customers advocate and ensuring the customer feels like you really are looking out for their best interest (and you really do).

I also think simple things like attitude, tone, and the words you use also have a great affect on CS perception. It's amazing how a simply apology changes a lot of customers from very angry to eithe rmildly upset or into a promoter.

I also think that taking responsibility for your actions as a company. Owning that call, or that walk-in. Just because a previous rep did the error, doesn't mean you should say "Oh im sorry! It wasn't me though!" Customers do not view it like that, customers view it as the company. No one says "Man that rep in the WA Call center was horrible CS." They say "<company> has horrible CS!" So remembering that you don't just represent yourself, but the company as a whole, is very important. You should take over, resolve the issue, and forward the issue to the manager if need be to ensure proper training for future.
    04-24-09 03:07 PM
    And, no matter how hard you try to convince people otherwise, there will be those who want the personal touch.

That's just fine. Another fact of life is, VZW stores are often unbearably busy. The funny thing is, the people who complain the most about the waits continue to come in time and time again.
    04-24-09 03:37 PM
    That's just fine. Another fact of life is, VZW stores are often unbearably busy. The funny thing is, the people who complain the most about the waits continue to come in time and time again.
    And, still another fact of fife is that there are others who just go elsewhere.

04-24-09 03:58 PM
    My thoughts about customer service.

In today's world, customer service for the most part has gone down the drain. People are in a rush, don't seem to care much for whatever the reason is. If I find a company that has great customer service in my eyes, then I will be loyal to them. If the service they provide is a little higher than the crappy customer service, I will pay the extra price. An example I will not step foot inside walmart, if that was the last store in my town.

So what is great customer service:

To me, Verizon Wireless has great customer service. They will go above and beyond in my opinion to solve your issues. I am not at all saying that I have to be right each and every time. I like the fact for the most part (about 95%) of the CSR I talk to on the phone will do this. At times, I do get a lazy CSR, who won't try to solve my issue/problem or talks to me like I am a 9 year with a blackberry. I will simply hang up and call back. I understand all companies have issues with employees being lazy, but you cant help that. To me the company that does nothing about it (walmart) then I won't get my business.

I like it when the employee of the company speaks to me like I have a heartbeat, and a human. I had to call CSR for a trouble shoot on my sons phone, and the Tech I spoke to was in Tennessee, we talked about the weather, how I live down the road from the Dublin Ohio call center, and he was telling me about how he had a caller standing outside one of their call centers a couple states away and got him. I also thanked him for being in the good old USA and able to speak English to the point that I could understand him.

I will in-fact not patronize a business that has lost the customer service aspect of the business (walmart)

If VZW started to not care, I kept getting CSR that did not care, and would not try to resolve any issues I think I may have, I would pay my ETF in a heartbeat and go find another company. Lets home that never happens, as from what I have heard AT&T and T-Mobile are not that great. I have had sprint in the past, and that is the reason I am with VZW now.
    04-24-09 04:46 PM
    I also forgot that I am not one to demand refunds, stuff for free or credits. If I am at the point of asking for that, the service has been horrid. I understand people make mistakes, so 99.9% of the time all i ask for is what is due to me. If it is a bill to be credited, or another phone due to issues or whatever it is. I just want is due to me, if in-fact it is the companies error and not mine
    04-24-09 04:50 PM
    And, no matter how hard you try to convince people otherwise, there will be those who want the personal touch. In fact, most people would prefer speaking with someone, in person if possible, over the oftentimes confusing online route. Let's face it, VZW's online presence isn't the best.

The best way to get people to use self-help options is to make those the only convenient option - and doing this will cost you customers.

Online is not the all-encompassing panacea the bean-counters try to make it. We are individuals and individual customers - the reason you have a job and the reason companies exist.

If you want to limit or abandon customer service options, there are other companies willing to take your customers.

No one is trying to abandon customers or limit their options. The absolute biggest complaint about our stores is the wait time. Our company enhances self service options literally on a daily basis but I would say the overall majority don't use them, except for online bill pay.

I hear people in this thread want to see, hear and feel empathy, but it gets hard to have it when people make situations hard on themselves in the first place.
    04-24-09 09:22 PM
    No one is trying to abandon customers or limit their options. The absolute biggest complaint about our stores is the wait time. Our company enhances self service options literally on a daily basis but I would say the overall majority don't use them, except for online bill pay.

I hear people in this thread want to see, hear and feel empathy, but it gets hard to have it when people make situations hard on themselves in the first place.
    I have a simple solution - add more warm bodies to help the paying customers who choose to come in.

On my way home this evening, I stopped by a corporate VZW store to do two things - look at the Versa for a friend (bad phone) and to see the wait time. There were about 25 customers & I saw 5 employees plus a greeter. I was told my wait time to talk with a rep would be about 30 minutes. Didn't need to talk to one, so I stayed off the moo list (think cattle). Get out to the truck & I see AT&T on the opposite corner & T-Mobile across the street. Why not? I had time. Roll over to AT&T first and they had no fewer than 9 employees to about a dozen customers. Fewer customers, but in the 15 minutes I spent in there fiddling with the Bold & iPhone, it was obvious there was no less traffic - the customers were rolling in & out faster. Had to drive right by the T-Mobile store - man, I could make an excuse to stop in. As always, the people in that T-Mobile store were cheerful, helpful and prompt. Similar employee count to AT&T, but fewer customers. No greeter & was helped right away. Something that made me chuckle is while I was in there, a couple came in, furious at the wait time "across the street" and wanted to see what T-Mobile offered. They too got help right away. When I left, I had a feeling T-Mobile won over some customers.

Three carriers and in my own admittedly informal and unscientific survey, T-Mobile came in first, AT&T was a close second and the VZW store, with its sour-faced employees & long waits came in fourth. And this is in an extremely affluent area. We're not talking hip-hop/gang-banger neighborhoods. But it does reflect the general experiences I've had in VZW corporate stores. In fact, every one of my worst VZW experiences involved corp stores. Granted, I am picky, but so are millions of others. To be talked down to and made to wait for extended periods is unacceptable.

When the grocery store gets busy, they open more registers. Convenience stores staff more clerks in the morning than they do at midnight. Businesses that are truly interested in a good customer service experience add staff to cover demand. Those which are interested only in the short-term bottom line will add things like online service. The businesses which are perilously close to being clueless give the customer online services which do not come close to fulfilling the complete needs of the customer.

So, while Circle K adds people during peak rush hours, VZW tells people to go online. While Kroger & Safeway open new registers, VZW tells people to call customer service. The problem with this is I can't get a fresh cup of coffee, a cold gallon of milk or a quick snack online.

Try going online, Scott. Look for the account features that cannot be changed online. Then look for the batteries/accessories I can get today. Point us in the direction of the online tech who can assist with determination of a defective phone. Even 611 routinely tells callers to go into the store for further assistance.

And all the while, VZW makes it extremely difficult to order the correct BlackBerry plans online.

Please don't ever take a basic retail business course and try to defend the beancounter philosophy of the no-cost online customer-service to option. They'll laugh you out of the classroom. Online and telephone support should be supplemental for those customers who choose it. The customers who walk through your doors should get the utmost welcome and service, regardless of why they are there. Any company owes its very existence to the customer - not the other way around. You win & keep customers by giving them options, remembering that many won't go online, can't go online or are scared to conduct major purchases online.

And, if the company is unwilling to provide a quality, well-staffed, local presence, the company should close the doors of their local operations and defer to the competition.

04-24-09 10:14 PM
    So without typing a novel like you did, you essentially noticed ----

Verizon---busiest store, longest wait, most total customers nationwide
    AT&T----not as busy, less customers, lots of employees, 2nd largest carrier nationwide
    T-Mobile------"Cheery Employees", even less customers, 3rd largest carrier nationwide.

There have been many posts on this forum lately on how happy people have been with experiences with our company. People threaten us every day, for a lot of reasons. "The kiosk upstairs is offering us free phones" and immediately someone wants to leave Verizon. "The wait time is to long" and people want to leave and go to another carrier.

One thing most of our stores have that a lot (NOT ALL) of other carriers stores don't have is a tech support area. We also have Sprint, T-Mobile, and AT&T in our mall, and not one of those stores will give you a replacement phone if there is a warranty issue. We have customers that come over from the others that tell us that every day. Having tech support causes more customers in the store and longer wait times.

We rarely have wait times in our store anymore. We have 11 sales reps (including myself) and I believe 10 CSR's and four techs.
    04-25-09 06:46 AM
    So without typing a novel like you did, you essentially noticed ----

Verizon---busiest store, longest wait, most total customers nationwide
    AT&T----not as busy, less customers, lots of employees, 2nd largest carrier nationwide
    T-Mobile------"Cheery Employees", even less customers, 3rd largest carrier nationwide.
    You missed the point, Scott - the traffic in each was roughly similar, but the other two were doing a better job getting the customers in & out.

And another thing you've missed - T-Mobile regularly beats VZW in in-store service ratings per JDPower and is also the one that most often beats VZW when they come in less than first. Wait - these things aren't something VZW advertises, is it?

VZW is good - but not perfect. There are far too many areas that smack of beancounters' cost-cutting moves.

My responses were in keeping with the spirit of this thread - what makes for good customer service & what doesn't. The way they were written was an attempt to show you that your company line BS of "well, if they don't want to wait, they should just go online" is just that - BS. A good company does not force its customers to do business in a way they are not comfortable with or that the customer perceives is not their best option. If your sentiments mirror those of VZW, then VZW is heading for eventual trouble.

Dan Hesse, who took over the sinking Sprint ship said he wanted to expand customer options and to beef up the customer service front - reduce wait times & improve training. Notice he never once said customers would be happy going online.

Then, reading back over my own posts, I've consistently held that, while VZW's overall service is best in class, the stores are by far the weak link - the company culture & the average front-line store employee make it that way.

Some stores feel like Honest John's Used Car Sales.

You have increased the number of people in your store? If so, this is good - but what took you so long? And, now that you have, how many are on the floor at the same time? Even the big mall stores here never have what you claim on the floor. Getting help in under 30 min is a rarity - although based on your region, with its dwindling population, you may not know what being busy really is...

Was in QuikTrip for coffee this morning. They had five people behind the counter & five more on the floor. All in a self-serve environment. They seem to know customer service far better than VZW corp stores do. The fact many VZW indies get better reviews shows that.

If you want to see good customer service skills in action, you're more apt to find it in Walmart than a VZW Corp store.

And that comes from someone who has been repeatedly branded as a shill for VZW.

04-25-09 04:32 PM

Our store is as busy,and we get complaints about it all the time, but it's busy because of one reason. People insist on standing in line and complaining instead of utilizing our phone reps or ordering things online. Our company has gone to great lengths to design a website that is very user friendly, and you are able to do everything from order phones to chat with customer service or tech support. You can use things like Backup Assistant to store your numbers instead of waiting for a phone book transfer and you can do an ESN change either over the phone or on our website.
    Whoopdie doo. So you got a website. Big deal. Attitudes like yours are the reason the service in the stores sucks. We don't want to help you properly cause we got a website. How about we all go to the website and put people like you in the unemployment line? AT&T stores even cream verizon stores in cust svc and that is bad. For people who want good personal face2face service the options are clear. Sprint, Tmobile or AT&T. It sure as **** isn't Verizon.

04-29-09 08:40 AM
    Good customer service to me would be treating me like you actually give a sh*t about my situation..I could careless about any credits or discounts, etc as long as whoever I'm speaking to is friendly and respectful..treat me like I treat you, ya know. There have been things that I have asked of VZW that weren't possible and I took it as it was and kept it movin'..still think VZW is excellent and has the best customer service of any of the wireless folks I have been with..

Now, I know there are alot of complainers who turn on thier wireless company when they ask for some outrageous thing and they turn them down..can't stand those damn people..

Actually went into a VZW store one day, asked one of the reps if I could change phones (this was when I had the LG Dare on pre pay) because I kept having some issues with the Dare, he let me know that since I was on pre-pay, there was nothing he could do..I shrugged, smiled and said "Oh well, guess I'll just have to grin and bear it then, huh?" and he stared at me for a second and turned to another rep and said "Have you ever heard a customer say that? I sure as heck haven't" lmao..
    -Just reminded me what these guys have to put up with on a daily basis, lol.
    04-29-09 12:13 PM
    Sprint, Tmobile or AT&T. It sure as **** isn't Verizon.

Why not share some personal experiences you have had with the others that outshine anything you've experienced at VZW?
    04-29-09 03:22 PM
    Why not share some personal experiences you have had with the others that outshine anything you've experienced at VZW?
    When I need accessories fast I go into any carrier other than Verizon. People like Verizon for network coverage and telephone support. Their stores rank near the bottom of the heap. And I learned a long time ago to not let cust svc send me into a corp store. That is like a root canal without drugs. What cust svc tells you the stores can't seem to do be it pricing or anything. Plus the people in the stores rarely seem to know as much about what Verizon offers as do the avg Joe on the street. From what I've read and heard the store employees don't get the training needed and are on incentive plans that keep them from honest dealings. If all Verizon had was stores for cust svc and sales, I would be on sprint or Tmobile or AT&T. Even Cricket or metro pcs would be an improvement. I don't have to go into the lousy Verizon stores, so I don't and can ignore their existence. They all seem to have the same attitude you showed before that if you want service to go online. Online service is for the birds but you are right that dealing with the website is far better than the incompetence of the stores.

04-29-09 04:00 PM
    When I need accessories fast I go into any carrier other than Verizon. People like Verizon for network coverage and telephone support. Their stores rank near the bottom of the heap. And I learned a long time ago to not let cust svc send me into a corp store. That is like a root canal without drugs. What cust svc tells you the stores can't seem to do be it pricing or anything. Plus the people in the stores rarely seem to know as much about what Verizon offers as do the avg Joe on the street. From what I've read and heard the store employees don't get the training needed and are on incentive plans that keep them from honest dealings. If all Verizon had was stores for cust svc and sales, I would be on sprint or Tmobile or AT&T. Even Cricket or metro pcs would be an improvement. I don't have to go into the lousy Verizon stores, so I don't and can ignore their existence. They all seem to have the same attitude you showed before that if you want service to go online. Online service is for the birds but you are right that dealing with the website is far better than the incompetence of the stores.

So again, share a personal experience.........
    04-29-09 06:13 PM
    A lot of great comments here, I think they pretty much sum it all up. I have been with VZW for six years and stay BECAUSE of the great customer service I receive. VZW is not perfect, nobody is, but I've always had my issues/concerns addressed in a professional, friendly and proper manner. I've gotten 2 or 3 credits over the years, and they were a nice perk, but not absolutely neccessary (in my cases). Still, I greatly appreciated them and they simply made my smile wider and confirmed why I'm staying.

I guess the easiest way for me to define "great customer service" is to state the antithesis, which is Dell. While I like their computers, their customer service sucks. At least VZW's reps are based here in the US and one can understand them.

By the way, in my profession, I've had several opportunities to work with a big competitor of VZW's. The many, many people I've engaged with seem terrific and certainly a special kind of breed, so VZW may not have a strangle hold on good service, but they certainly hold my attention!
    04-29-09 06:23 PM

By the way, in my profession, I've had several opportunities to work with a big competitor of VZW's. The many, many people I've engaged with seem terrific and certainly a special kind of breed, so VZW may not have a strangle hold on good service, but they certainly hold my attention!
    I agree 100 percent. No one store, no one person, no one company is perfect all of the time.
    04-29-09 06:29 PM
158 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD