10-03-09 05:35 PM
158 123 ...
tools
    I am interested in what you guys have to say about this. I always hear companies have good customer service, bad customer service, etc. What is it? In our training at Verizon Wireless they tell us that Credits do not buy customer loyalty, is that true? Does a rep issuing a credit to you increase your loyalty or perception of service? I always seem to see that people who have no issues (billing problems, broken phones, service issues, anything etc..) seem to say "oh this company has great service." However if a customer wants something and it's not possible, if they don't get it, that company has "horrible customer service." If you say a company has GREAT customer service, why? If you say a company has bad customer service, why? Do credits buy loyalty? Or is it because you didn't get what you want a company has bad customer service?
    04-23-09 05:58 AM
    Great customer service haas to be defined as making the customer feel good. How you do that is as unique to each individual you talk with. Some may just want prompt fair attention, some may need more. If we have a problem, attend to it, don't push it off and take some time to explore the options. If you're issuing credits, ou have to ask yourself why that is. You don't just give them out for free so it must be because of some kind of issue, billing service or otherwise. When it comes right down to it, other then credits what other real money type choices do you have?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-23-09 07:31 AM
    For me, good customer service means less "formal" talk and more "personal" talk. If I feel the rep is talking to me 1 on 1 without Verizon scripted lingo governing what he or she says, then I will take that to mean that this person is genuine and my perception of good customer service goes up; and this is regardless of any credits applied or not applied.

In my view, this quality has a huge benefit across the board tapping into other areas as well. If the rep can be diplomatic, reasonable, and can almost always look for a 'solution' (not always a credit) to a problem, the impression will be that he or she has heard us out. Even if there is no solution at hand, at least you would get the idea that the rep did all he or she could to your benefit, despite the secret benefit of doing whats also best for the company. If I get an impression that I was somehow wronged and still feel compelled to call back to get a different result, then that first rep probably failed me.

Now, there are always 2 sides to the coin. So while I imagine that there are extremely difficult customers that ask for unreasonable things, I think in "general" terms, most people are logical and rational when there is personal attention.

But for me, the principal thing is script. If he or she says "on behalf of Verizon Wireless" or "we at Verizon Wireless" it tells me that there is no personal attention as Verizon Wireless is not a person, its a company. But if I get the impression that you are my personal accountant and have the freedom to deal with me on a personal basis outside of the obvious constraints, then it will always have a positive affect on customer service, regardless of whether the solutions to our problems works in our favor or not
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 04-23-09 at 08:08 AM.
    04-23-09 07:55 AM
    Good/great customer service to me is being treated with respect and being treated like a paying customer. When I call, I would like the person on the other end of the phone to understand what empathy is. Whether I get the issue resolved is another issue.

I understand that some things are not feasable. Most of the time a credit isn't needed either (unless it is a billing issue). As long as the problem is resolved in a timely manner and I am treated like a customer and not a burden, I can continue on happily.

Bad customer service is when a CSR treats you like you are imposing on them somehow. CSR's that are short, rude, and angry about either their lot in life, their job, family issues, fresh outbreak of herpes, mommy didn't love me enough, daddy didn't give hugs, etc. and take it out on their customer's pi** me off. Everyone has bad days. Either fake it, or find other means of employment.

I have worked with the publc many times in the past and know that there are people out there that can't be pleased. They ask for one thing, they get it... then want more. They want a free ride and will do anything to get it. They also like to think that just because they are paying so much a month then the CSR should be farting rainbows and puking skittles and clouds just for the chance to help them. These customers make it hard on everyone else.

So no. Free stuff does not make good or bad customer service to me. Attitude does.

04-23-09 08:25 AM
    Good Customer Serivce = Verizon Wireless!

They have always been great to me, they work with me no matter what the problem is! They always fix whatever the problem is or explain to me why/what is happening. They just don't leave their customers out in the dark about what is going on with their plan/bill ect.

I love Verizon!
    04-23-09 08:41 AM
    Good Customer Serivce = Verizon Wireless!

They have always been great to me, they work with me no matter what the problem is! They always fix whatever the problem is or explain to me why/what is happening. They just don't leave their customers out in the dark about what is going on with their plan/bill ect.

I love Verizon!
    Im with Amp....I've been with big red for 5 years and have always gotten superior customer service. They listen to my problem, appologize for the inconvience and then they do what they can to make you happy.
    04-23-09 11:49 AM
    i work in a call center and we practice the 4 e's to a great customer experience, which is something our team made up

Empathy-show the customer that you truly understand how the issue has affected them and that you are more than willing and able to help

Enthusiam-keep your tone light and friendly, because the customer will more than likely match the tone you have and if your dry they may think you dont want to help

Engage-personalize every call, sometimes asking about a person's day can go a long way those are the things they remember

Educate-every customer will appreciate knowing information on there account great or small, and if you take the time to do so it can go a long way

at our center all our calls are surveyed, and we get bonus money at the end of the month for good calls....so you get paid extra for providing a good customer experience lol
    04-23-09 03:50 PM
    Im with Amp....I've been with big red for 5 years and have always gotten superior customer service. They listen to my problem, appologize for the inconvience and then they do what they can to make you happy.
    +1 to this and to thinkamps

04-23-09 04:03 PM
    +1 to this and to thinkamps

For sure....the ladies know whats good!
    04-23-09 06:13 PM
    I know this is a Verizon thread, but I came across it while skimming the forums on viigo and was really intrigued by the question. For what it's worth, it seems like there's a lot of consistency in the replies - people want to be treated respectfully as individuals. I think that's the same regardless of carrier or even country. Anyway, that's one Canadian's view. Great question & interesting thread.

04-23-09 06:33 PM
    We were just discussing this at my new job today. And we were talking about Verizon. I gave kudos in this forum the other day for the service I got from a rep & one of my coworkers was singing the praises today. For me, the rep listened & offered a solution above & far beyond what I called in for, giving me a credit I was not asking for or about. She took the time to look at what I needed & give me a better option than what I was even considering.

My coworker had a similar experience. She had come from AT&T and got the Pearl from Verizon. She hated it so she went back. She said the rep spent 2 hours going over options, what she wanted, and letting her play with different phones until she settled in on the Bold. And she loves it & Verizon. We had most of our orientation class wanting to switch to Verizon by the time our discussion was over with LOL
    04-23-09 07:51 PM
    My coworker had a similar experience. She had come from AT&T and got the Pearl from Verizon. She hated it so she went back. She said the rep spent 2 hours going over options, what she wanted, and letting her play with different phones until she settled in on the Bold. And she loves it & Verizon. We had most of our orientation class wanting to switch to Verizon by the time our discussion was over with LOL
    I am confused. The Bold cannot be had on Verizon.

04-23-09 07:56 PM
    Sure you don't mean the curve? No bold for verizon. The word on VZW is getting out for sure. I always rag my co-workers who are on ATT when they get dropped from a call. One of which recently switched to big red and thanks me often!

04-23-09 08:02 PM
    WOW, I can say on the phone the service is great, but here in the Fort our store is horrible, 2 hour waits at the least. You better have a great baby sitter, because it is pretty much an all day trip. Bought the storm 2 saturdays ago, got to the store at 9:30 left at 2:30, and had to come back to return a case and they were going to make me "sign in" I would have been number 15 in line! that is not customer service, that is a turn off. I have tried different services here locally, and by far the coverage is the best, but clean up the stores and you would go a lot further here. All in all again I love the coverage and the over the phone serivce, but dread going to the store.
    04-23-09 09:25 PM
    Good companies that value customer service invest heavily in the idea of creating customers for life. They work to make each customer feel valued and look at every interaction as a opportunity to set themselves apart from their competition reguardless of the transaction amount. People still buy based on the people they are buying from. People still are willing to pay a little more within reason for a quality and reliable product. Any company of worth is looking at today's economy as a prime opportunity to take marketshare. You do this by putting only your very best people in front of customers and empower them to "delight the customer".

04-23-09 09:27 PM
    Good companies that value customer service invest heavily in the idea of creating customers for life. They work to make each customer feel valued and look at every interaction as a opportunity to set themselves apart from their competition reguardless of the transaction amount. People still buy based on the people they are buying from. People still are willing to pay a little more within reason for a quality and reliable product. Any company of worth is looking at today's economy as a prime opportunity to take marketshare. You do this by putting only your very best people in front of customers and empower them to "delight the customer".

DANG! You must be a VZW employee. This sound like the company line
    04-23-09 09:35 PM
    Nope..not a VZW employee. But I am in Customer Service in a different field...Same philosophy applies if you are buying a Big Mac or a Cadillac.

04-23-09 09:45 PM
    We have been with Verizon for about 9 years. My experience with them have been positive. I have on a few times come across some useless help who have me bad or wrong info but normally CR go out of the way to fix the issue. I do not complain I always try to be calm & the attitude of what can we do to fix this. I also always take the time to thank them for their time& help even tough CRS seem to try to help with this approach. This outlook helps get me excellent service.

04-23-09 09:57 PM
    As I said on another thread like this, it warms my heart to see that people sometimes DO appreciate all the hard work we put (Care or we Techs) into making your VZW experience as pleasurable as possible. In a perfect world, you'd never have to call us because computers (and most cell phones are small computers now) would always work absolutely right! But since we don't live in a perfect world, we all know you guys get really frustrated at times, and we try to make sure everything goes well for you on any call you make.

thank you, from the bottom of all of our hearts, for the compliments.
    04-23-09 10:50 PM
    For me the main thing is to actually listen to my problem, do what is needed to understand it, & if you can't fix it, make sure to get me to the right person. Don't talk to me like I'm a DA (even tho some customers are)an and quit bouncing me from person to person that can't help me. I get so sick of CS reps not listening to my problem & trying to go thru a prepared list of common issues trying to fit my issue in there.

04-23-09 11:51 PM
    As I said on another thread like this, it warms my heart to see that people sometimes DO appreciate all the hard work we put (Care or we Techs) into making your VZW experience as pleasurable as possible. In a perfect world, you'd never have to call us because computers (and most cell phones are small computers now) would always work absolutely right! But since we don't live in a perfect world, we all know you guys get really frustrated at times, and we try to make sure everything goes well for you on any call you make.

Your most welcome my friend....keep up the great work!!
    04-24-09 12:54 AM

X2, Boss! Can't wait to wrap up A+ so I can swap to Tech.

That being said, I still do greatly enjoy my time in Care.. Sometimes you want to drive off a bridge, but most of the time it's really worthwhile!

Thanks everyone..

04-24-09 01:25 AM
    I am interested in what you guys have to say about this. I always hear companies have good customer service, bad customer service, etc. What is it? In our training at Verizon Wireless they tell us that Credits do not buy customer loyalty, is that true? Does a rep issuing a credit to you increase your loyalty or perception of service? I always seem to see that people who have no issues (billing problems, broken phones, service issues, anything etc..) seem to say "oh this company has great service." However if a customer wants something and it's not possible, if they don't get it, that company has "horrible customer service." If you say a company has GREAT customer service, why? If you say a company has bad customer service, why? Do credits buy loyalty? Or is it because you didn't get what you want a company has bad customer service?
    Listen with a sympathetic ear, speak clearly, be willing to help, be cheerful and do the right thing. Most of all, never make a customer feel like they're wasting their time talking to you. It is a delicate balancing act, but in the end, the best customer service people know how to tell someone to go to Hell in such a way that they actually look forward to the trip.

We have to remember that one of the biggest lies foisted upon us is the one that says "the customer is always right." Not only are they not always right, in many areas, they are seldom right. Yet you have to make them think they are right.

All too often we see the malcontents, on sites such as this one, claiming that they got poor customer service from whatever carrier they hate. I described it in another thread - http://forums.crackberry.com/f71/i-l...1/#post2366793 - knowing the psychology of the kinds of people who will claim terrible things happened to them, just to make themselves feel more powerful by putting others down. We shouldn't listen to these people, nor cut them any slack. The conditions they often claim happened to them are usually too extreme to be believable even if Bernie Madoff were the target.

I say this because with the complainers and their stories we've been seeing lately, no company would survive treating customers in a manner being claimed. i know Sprint's customer service isn't top-flight. Neither is AT&T's. Time & time again, the customer service models have been VZW, T-Mo & Alltel. But the service at AT&T & Sprint isn't substandard - if it were, they'd be out of business.

Very often, the difference between someone's perception of good service over bad is when the rep doesn't leave a customer on hold for too long, they thank customers for holding, they don't chew gum on the phone, they speak clearly and they interpret what the customer needs, as opposed to what they want or are simply asking for.

I've called companies before and had what I thought was a great call - the rep did everything right, including doing as I asked. But I had to call again, because they didn't figure out what I needed. So I call back - the second rep misses all of the quality points, leaving me on hold, is hard to understand, etc. But they figure out what I really need. The second rep actually gave me better service, but the first one got all of the QC points.

The trick is to get the intuitive CS soul who can take the quality of the first rep & couple it with the intelligence & perception of the second. They may not give me what I ask for, but hey - I am the customer and not the expert. Give me what I need and explain it is a non-condescending manner, convincing me of what I actually need. I called to find the expert. Give me that expertise AND hit all of the QC points.

It is those I consider winning CS people.
    04-24-09 04:00 AM
    WOW, I can say on the phone the service is great, but here in the Fort our store is horrible, 2 hour waits at the least.
    Why is a long wait in the store "bad service"?

Our store is as busy,and we get complaints about it all the time, but it's busy because of one reason. People insist on standing in line and complaining instead of utilizing our phone reps or ordering things online. Our company has gone to great lengths to design a website that is very user friendly, and you are able to do everything from order phones to chat with customer service or tech support. You can use things like Backup Assistant to store your numbers instead of waiting for a phone book transfer and you can do an ESN change either over the phone or on our website.
    04-24-09 07:26 AM
    Why is a long wait in the store "bad service"?

Our store is as busy,and we get complaints about it all the time, but it's busy because of one reason. People insist on standing in line and complaining instead of utilizing our phone reps or ordering things online. Our company has gone to great lengths to design a website that is very user friendly, and you are able to do everything from order phones to chat with customer service or tech support. You can use things like Backup Assistant to store your numbers instead of waiting for a phone book transfer and you can do an ESN change either over the phone or on our website.
    I agree with you. IMO it is just human nature to talk face to face with a another human to solve their problem. The IVR one must go through is a nightmare for most, when all they want to do is talk to a human.

The website being user friendly? Again our site too much fancy stuff and for the most part is slow. Also a lot of the info is in areas or links that buried and people get frustraited looking there. If people have to more than 3 or 4 pages to find what they are looking for, they will either call or go to store.

There is still a lot customer education that needs to be done about self help options, and this is on going project at this time. I am sure you know this. I know this as when I handle customers and show them the site and tell what they can do there and about other self help options, the say wow, I never knew that.

I have had customers wait 15 minutes in queue and the question I get is, how do I update my roaming that is all I need today, or what is the pass code for bluetooth? IT takes my long to do the required doucmetation then it does to answer the question.
    04-24-09 08:37 AM
158 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD